Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goofyernmost

Admittedly, I am not a football fan, but even I have to think that this thread has gone so far off track that someone had better put tires on the train because it ain't never coming back. So I'm thinking that I will open another a strictly football thread so that this one can at least have a chance of staying slightly on topic and not just an exercise in post count. :)

nytimez

Admittedly, I am not a football fan, but even I have to think that this thread has gone so far off track that someone had better put tires on the train because it ain't never coming back. So I'm thinking that I will open another a strictly football thread so that this one can at least have a chance of staying slightly on topic and not just an exercise in post count. :)

I'm no mod... nor would I pretend to be one... but I would agree that NFL talk not only doesn't belong in Spirit's thread, but doesn't belong in the "News & Rumors" forum at all.

I know some have suggested this thread belongs in "Chit Chat" but I disagree. However, I think "Chit Chat" is the perfect place for NFL talk.

ParentsOf4

so should they just call a ride a ride (and nothing an attraction)?

should they call all cast members just employees?
Unless they've changed something recently, Disney had been using the word "experience" for FP+, such as "select your FastPass+ experiences". FP+ "experiences" consist of attractions, shows, parades, nighttime spectaculars, character meet & greets, and even lunch at BOG.

Calling a meet & greet (or a parade) an attraction just doesn't seem to fit. Instead, shouldn't Disney be referring to meet & greets as "experiences"?

WDWDad13

Unless they've changed something recently, Disney had been using the word "experience" for FP+, such as "select your FastPass+ experiences". FP+ "experiences" consist of attractions, shows, parades, nighttime spectaculars, character meet & greets, and even lunch at BOG.

Calling a meet & greet (or a parade) an attraction just doesn't seem to fit. Instead, shouldn't Disney be referring to meet & greets as "experiences"?

good point...honestly though... does it really matter? My guess is some internally at Disney call them different things too because there isn't (I assume) a 100% set hard rule that every cast member (or employee) knows to a T

I think when they say attraction, experience, show, etc. we all know what they are talking about

Goofyernmost

good point...honestly though... does it really matter? My guess is some internally at Disney call them different things too because there isn't (I assume) a 100% set hard rule that every cast member (or employee) knows to a T

I think when they say attraction, experience, show, etc. we all know what they are talking about
It seems like I recall a time, not to long ago when everything that the public was able to "experience" was considered an attraction EXCEPT restaurants and bathrooms. Those had specific human needs missions and designed to fit in, but not entertain. There were exceptions of course, like character meals. There was no such thing as a ride. Everything was an attraction. FP+ isn't an attraction. It is an alternate way to "experience" select attractions. Hence...FP+ experience!

afar28

I'm no mod... nor would I pretend to be one... but I would agree that NFL talk not only doesn't belong in Spirit's thread, but doesn't belong in the "News & Rumors" forum at all.

I know some have suggested this thread belongs in "Chit Chat" but I disagree. However, I think "Chit Chat" is the perfect place for NFL talk.
I agree. There also already is an nfl thread in chit-chat.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
They call everything an attraction ...in all honesty what would you call it?

[Sarcasm Follows]

"Waste of valuable attraction space". How about, "Demographically limited real estate not subscribing to the highest and best use". Perhaps, "We needed more autograph books sold". More likely, "It's cheaper than designing high capacity rides for diverse demographics location".

[Sarcasm Ends]

I do agree with they should have made that into another dark ride for another movie... I was hoping for Tangled. I think they missed a good op here and I think they should have had princess meet and greets near their areas/attractions - Tangled by the tower, Snow White by the coaster, Ariel already in her spot, Cinderella by the castle, Tiana by Riverboat area, etc. etc some of the others like Sleeping Beauty...hmmm...not sure but many of these are in EPCOT (like Mulan, etc.)

I agree with you 100%. If you want to meet characters, meet them in their element. It's probably done in one location to save money and limit handlers, etc...

*1023*

PhotoDave219

Since when did eating become an attraction?

Next thing you know the restrooms will be FastPass+'ed. Will they be considered an attraction also?

Hey ladies, fastpass your p__ breaks now for a no waiting stall waiting for you at the new Rapunzel themed rest area. (of course minimum wait times may occur depending upon your immediate need)

Are you pulling our strings?

Captain Chaos

But it is the easiest way to increase your attraction count without actually increasing your attraction count... Kind of like how they artificially inflate their bottom line.. Jack up prices, thus bottom line automatically increases, despite no increase in actual sales numbers... Call an meet and grope an attraction automatically increases their attraction numbers despite no actual increase in attractions....

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
But it is the easiest way to increase your attraction count without actually increasing your attraction count... Kind of like how they artificially inflate their bottom line.. Jack up prices, thus bottom line automatically increases, despite no increase in actual sales numbers... Call an meet and grope an attraction automatically increases their attraction numbers despite no actual increase in attractions....

You know I was trying to have a similar discussion in the CNBC article post. You just added a point I didn't articulate to the other poster there. M&Gs could be called "features" but I think "attractions" should be what other people call rides.

*1023*

flynnibus

Premium Member
Nope. I don't call them anything. They are a meaningless

Actually they are a great example of how a company listened to their community.. the community evolved something to make the service better.. and the company embraced it as a improvement to the service overall. Listening to your customers... there's a lesson in there for Disney...

ChrisFL

Premium Member
[Sarcasm Follows]

"Waste of valuable attraction space". How about, "Demographically limited real estate not subscribing to the highest and best use". Perhaps, "We needed more autograph books sold". More likely, "It's cheaper than designing high capacity rides for diverse demographics location".

[Sarcasm Ends]

I worked part time in Main Street merchandise about 5 years ago...I can tell you that we sold a TON of autograph books and pens (I'd say 80% of the time they would purchase a pen with the book)...from $6 -$8 each for both IIRC. Considering the cost to make them being probably 20 to 30 cents each....Meet and Greets definitely do increase the bottom line as far as that is concerned.

Lee

Adventurer
Actually they are a great example of how a company listened to their community.. the community evolved something to make the service better.. and the company embraced it as a improvement to the service overall. Listening to your customers... there's a lesson in there for Disney...
I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about....

JimboJones123

I don't expect this to get better, but worse with Nextgen. Now they can take the demographic thing to lower levels of detail by creating sub-demographic profiles. There are demographic sub-groups who could be ignored or even phased out. Think of it this way. Families with kids are big spenders and add big to the bottom line. We hear a lot of people here complain about boring, generic or cheap merchandise that is overpriced. Some people say they can't find anything they want to buy anymore. My kids never have a problem finding stuff to buy. kids eat that cheap, generic crap up. Why exert an effort to cater to the more discriminating guest when the masses with kids are pleased with the current offerings? Not every adult in the 18-30 demographic who travels to WDW without kids is a "bad customer". Some actually spend more than families. With additional levels of info they can now target the spenders and ignore the rest. If you travel to WDW but don't stay on property, eat in their restaurants or buy any merchandise you are just taking up space that could be occupied by a guest willing to spend (maybe a Brazilian from a tour group;)). The point is Disney will likely increase their targeting of demographic groups. Our only hope is that somehow the additional data points out that there is a valuable market in targeting more adult oriented attractions.
I don't get Disney sometimes.

Wanna make easy money, sell some good crap.

I used to buy the annual Hawian style shirt every year. They have not had a new one in 4 years.

articos

So, I missed whylightbulb's post yesterday. I assume it had something to do with the Hogwarts Express or Gringott's ride. I wish I could have seen it, but, since I can't... I figure I'll give it a shot of what it contained... at least the Hogwarts Express part.

Because, if you're like me and still wondering how the Hogwarts Express will work, this may be it.

DISCLAIMER: I believe this rumor to be true, but since I haven't seen any physical proof of the layout of the train interior myself, I can't guarantee anything. (Though I have some friends who swear they've seen the layout of the train and that this is it) Perhaps @WDW1974, @whylightbulb, or @Lee can confirm or deny this? Also, this post may contain spoilers for you. And not the stuff that makes your eggs rotten, this is the stuff that shows you how they made the egg. Viewer discretion advised.

Okay, so here it goes. Upon boarding the train, the layout will seem familiar if you've seen the 3rd film. (At least I think it's from the 3rd film? The one with the dementor attack on the train? Whatever this one is...

In fact, watch that, it will get you in the mood.)

Okay, you back from that video? Spooky, huh? Well, being that this is a theme park attraction, there will be some differences from that video clip. First, the train looks a heck of a lot nicer... and certainly not as foreboding. Second, the window on the hallway side of the train isn't there or at least isn't visible from in the compartment. The compartments have "privacy screens" on the doors. Why? Well, I'll get to that. But from what I've seen, all of the compartments and the hallway of the train are actually shifted to one side of the actual physical train, and the remaining space in the train is home to a giant curved projection surface. (This is pure genius to shift everything over so you have room to play with where "outside" should be.)

So, when you look out the window in your compartment, you're looking at this huge seamless 4k projection surface. The real glass window in each compartment is open just a crack at the top for the air to come in. (There will be lots of rushing air...) Giant subwoofers will be under your seats will simulate the rumbling of the train and other sound effects. When the the compartment door closes, (and this is why there is a privacy screen) shadows will be visible of passing trolley carts and even the occasional witch or wizard thanks to hidden projectors in the hallways.

During the ride, you may encounter dementors, the flying car, or other elements from the films. But I'm sure you already knew that part. I'd go into the show effects, but I'm sure you can all figure out how they can make it feel like a dementor attack on a train.

So, that's what I've heard. Am I close?

Hogwarts Exp really is going to blow people's minds. As is London.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don't get Disney sometimes.

Wanna make easy money, sell some good crap.

I used to buy the annual Hawian style shirt every year. They have not had a new one in 4 years.

I totally agree. I'm lucky if I buy a t-shirt each trip anymore. Even they have gotten a bit cheap. My kids on the other hand...well lets just say they might have a shopping problem (its genetic from my wife's side;)).

The stores always seem packed with plenty of people buying plenty of stuff so I guess it's our own fault (by our I mean the collective millions that visit, not me and you)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom