Status
Not open for further replies.

Funmeister

Men in Black: Alien Attack
Revenge of the Mummy
Popeye & Bluto's Bilge Rat Barges
Jurassic Park River Adventure
Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls
The Incredible Hulk Coaster (this is an E-Ticket in my book)

And so on...

And plus, Rock 'n' Roller Coaster is at Disney.... ;)

ET (no screens) vs. Toy Story Mania (ALL screens)

My money is on ET!

BryceM

ET (no screens) vs. Toy Story Mania (ALL screens)

My money is on ET!
I love E.T. Adventure! I just didn't know whether to classify it as an E-Ticket since it isn't a headliner attraction. But yeah, I like E.T. better than quite a few of the Disney dark rides. There is also Cat in the Hat, but that's definitely a D-Ticket.

Captain Chaos

There are those of us who ARE worried about real world problems, Recently I was helping some students design a water pump for use in India's rural villages so that the village could have an affordable for rural India pump for irrigation so they could increase agricultural output, Helping another group design solar systems for use in desert areas which is a lot harder problem than most people think as the desert is about as destructive to solar systems as the ocean is. I believe these qualify as 'real world problems'

What some of us want to do is FORGET our problems and burdens for a while (Without resorting to various forms of chemically induced altered states) and we are in danger of losing one of the few places that we can do that in.
Exactly.. and I believe that is what Blu was trying to say... Stop obsessing over the little things like Disney leasing out IP to slot machines, and worry about the bigger picture of life... Disney is the escape from reality, treat it that way..

With that said, the current motives and direction of WDW management really removes that escapism from WDW and brings the real world issues into your vacation: tracking, invasion of privacy, etc... Where Disney used to be the escape from real life, real life has now crept into Disney...

Captain Chaos

Well, that's a no-brainer. I'm confident that roughly 93.492% of us here would agree with that sentiment.
For a vast majority of us here, including myself (and '74, who was referenced unflatteringly in that post for reasons unknown...), the time spent each day "obsessing" over Disney is actually very small.

I'm probably just as concerned with football season getting underway tomorrow...
Blu can speak for himself, but since 74 started this thread, and 74 is the one delivering the news, maybe Blu used him as just an example... Was it a shot at 74? yea, it comes off that way... it also comes off as a shot at those who obsess over Disney, to the point they have a Disney room, celebrate Disney birthdays, visit Disney and only Disney, get engrossed in the pixie dust, gets too involved in the daily happenings of the company to the point they know when a manager takes a leak, and at what time... or what a manage likes to eat for lunch... Basically, it is a shot at all of us, Blu included (whether he realized it or not) because, in one form or another, we are all obsessed with Disney, some how...

I like 74... Not as much as his fanboi club who sit at their computers refreshing their screens just waiting for him to post so they can attack so he notices them... But I enjoy his posts, look forward to all the news he brings... So no, I am not taking a shot at him...

Funmeister

I love E.T. Adventure! I just didn't know whether to classify it as an E-Ticket since it isn't a headliner attraction. But yeah, I like E.T. better than quite a few of the Disney dark rides. There is also Cat in the Hat, but that's definitely a D-Ticket.

I agree but I would say ET is a better themed attraction than Mission: SPACE (another screen) even though it is a much older attraction. Now that I think about it...there really is no argument about Universal and screen-based attractions versus Disney. Disney has just as many if not more!

The WORST use of screens in an attraction is Toy Story Mania. I am not saying the attraction is not entertaining, especially after having a few drinks at the Swan & Dolphin before boating it over, but it is not on the scale of ET or Pirates or Splash or Popeye.

Popeye is also the BEST rapids ride in the US if not the world! Even if Tiger Rapids Run...er....Kali River Rapids materialized they way it was originally envisioned it still could not compete!

lazyboy97o

Exactly.. and I believe that is what Blu was trying to say... Stop obsessing over the little things like Disney leasing out IP to slot machines, and worry about the bigger picture of life... Disney is the escape from reality, treat it that way..
I would say that Disney's politicking in Florida has and continues to have a very real impact on the people of Florida.

crispy

Being in Nashville, I want to love the Titans more than I do, but we haven't had a good season since 1999. I do root for them unless they are playing the Saints who also disappoint year after year.

That's why I really love college football. Even if Alabama has a bad season, I can still remember the greatness of years' past. Plus, I look great in houndstooth! Roll Tide! (Please, no jokes about Miss Alabama's dress. Even diehard Alabama fans are embarrassed by that!)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Blu can speak for himself, but since 74 started this thread, and 74 is the one delivering the news, maybe Blu used him as just an example... Was it a shot at 74? yea, it comes off that way... it also comes off as a shot at those who obsess over Disney, to the point they have a Disney room, celebrate Disney birthdays, visit Disney and only Disney, get engrossed in the pixie dust, gets too involved in the daily happenings of the company to the point they know when a manager takes a leak, and at what time... or what a manage likes to eat for lunch... Basically, it is a shot at all of us, Blu included (whether he realized it or not) because, in one form or another, we are all obsessed with Disney, some how...

I like 74... Not as much as his fanboi club who sit at their computers refreshing their screens just waiting for him to post so they can attack so he notices them... But I enjoy his posts, look forward to all the news he brings... So no, I am not taking a shot at him...

"Your my boy blue".:):):)

You know I'm not the only one who thought of Old School.

MerlinTheGoat

I agree but I would say ET is a better themed attraction than Mission: SPACE (another screen) even though it is a much older attraction. Now that I think about it...there really is no argument about Universal and screen-based attractions versus Disney. Disney has just as many if not more!

The WORST use of screens in an attraction is Toy Story Mania. I am not saying the attraction is not entertaining, especially after having a few drinks at the Swan & Dolphin before boating it over, but it is not on the scale of ET or Pirates or Splash or Popeye.
Agreed. I dislike an overuse of screens in attractions that could otherwise have had physical scenes and robotic elements, but Disney has become equally as "guilty" of that. And moreso when you consider their implementation of projection tech is generally very poor in comparison to Universal's. As much as I prefer physical scenes and figures (which btw, Universal has never had any problem doing when you consider Jurassic Park and ET), their implementation of projection tech has thus far completely destroyed Disney's own implementation. And when you consider that both parks are centering their rides heavily around video screens, Universal wins. The only kind of projection tech Disney has done that i'm really interested in is the digital mapping type such as they're now using at Disneyland's Snow White ride. But if the ride implementation of screens is going to be anything like Toy Story Mania, Disney should just stick with animatronic elements because that's what they used to be so amazing with and those WDW rides are my favorites anyways. Though the animatronic advantage has also gone by the wayside when you consider Little Mermaid (at least it's still alive and kicking in California or China).

From everything i've read though, Gringotts is supposed to be a pretty even mix between video screens and physical show sets. If that's the case, count me in because it sounds amazing! Same with the Lorax supposedly, and probably their future attractions as well.

Popeye is also the BEST rapids ride in the US if not the world! Even if Tiger Rapids Run...er....Kali River Rapids materialized they way it was originally envisioned it still could not compete!
It's probably a contender for best rapids ride, though not too difficult to beat Kali considering the length. But I don't agree with the Tiger River comment. From everything i've read about it, had the REAL Tiger River been built and to its full potential, there's very little doubt in my mind that it would have absolutely destroyed any other raft ride. It wasn't even going to use traditional round boats, nor was it completely focused on the rapids elements until the finale. As I understand it, it was going to be a water based safari ride through actual real animal habitats, kind of like a fully realized Jungle Cruise. Had they done this and done it right, I think it would have handily beaten any other raft ride. It looked incredible.

Then again, the same is true of a lot of Animal Kingdom. Countdown to Extinction is often compared unfavorably to Indiana Jones (a fair criticism even though I enjoy it a lot more than other people here). But had it also not had its budget slashed to death, I think it could have potentially bested Indy. Like what Kali ended up as, the ride was severely cut back (I think a half if not two thirds of its original length was cut out) and many show scenes were never even installed (which is one reason so much of it is in pitch black darkness).

JimboJones123

Men in Black: Alien Attack
Revenge of the Mummy
Popeye & Bluto's Bilge Rat Barges
Jurassic Park River Adventure
Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls
The Incredible Hulk Coaster (this is an E-Ticket in my book)

And so on...

And plus, Rock 'n' Roller Coaster is at Disney.... And the on-ride experience doesn't even use screens at all. Instead, it uses 2-D cut-outs, which I actually like, but many people don't like them...
I want a thai taco really bad right now.

whylightbulb

Crap. Missed it.
Lee I sent you the post. Spirit if you want to read it let me know or have Lee forward it but I'm sure you are tired of hearing my rants and you have heard most of it before anyway :rolleyes: For everyone else here is an update that focuses mostly on the positive aspects of 722.

The Hogwarts Express will truly be a magical experience. It is the perfect blend of theatrical tools and theme park artistry that we used to expect from Disney. The cabin interiors are fantastic and the mock up almost had me shed a tear or two. Between the sounds, stations, effects and really cool media this will be a homerun in my opinion. When the train pulls into the station and the steam, sounds and atmosphere are all programmed in it will be a special theme park moment for most guests.

When walking through Gringotts the main thing you say to yourself is "wow...this is just BIG!" Everything is big. The rockwork is amazing and it's BIG. The vault room is BIG and jaw dropping impressive. The unique track elements are BIG...I mean really BIG and should be a lot of fun. There are massive screens (think Simpsons or larger) and the vehicles will move into the sweet spots at the right times and there will be unique movements that most will not expect. I know this is not new information and is readily available online but I just want to remind everyone and put it in perspective.

The rest of the land is bigger than most expect as well. Have I mentioned big? Yes I have a lot of negative to say but all in all this will still be 100 times better than anything WDW has done in the past 10 years.

Lee and HTF and Spirit are correct regarding Lorax and JP.

flynnibus

Premium Member
@MerlinTheGoat the projections in the new potc walkthrough are decent, so they can do it. Plus as you mention they've tackled large scale projection mapping. But most of disney's projections inside attractions lately has been on the more conservative side, while uni has done more.

I do think disney's history with AA figures holds them back in this regard. They think doing big video would be against their mantra. IMHO

nytimez

Lee I sent you the post. Spirit if you want to read it let me know or have Lee forward it but I'm sure you are tired of hearing my rants and you have heard most of it before anyway :rolleyes: For everyone else here is an update that focuses mostly on the positive aspects of 722.

The Hogwarts Express will truly be a magical experience. It is the perfect blend of theatrical tools and theme park artistry that we used to expect from Disney. The cabin interiors are fantastic and the mock up almost had me shed a tear or two. Between the sounds, stations, effects and really cool media this will be a homerun in my opinion. When the train pulls into the station and the steam, sounds and atmosphere are all programmed in it will be a special theme park moment for most guests.

When walking through Gringotts the main thing you say to yourself is "wow...this is just BIG!" Everything is big. The rockwork is amazing and it's BIG. The vault room is BIG and jaw dropping impressive. The unique track elements are BIG...I mean really BIG and should be a lot of fun. There are massive screens (think Simpsons or larger) and the vehicles will move into the sweet spots at the right times and there will be unique movements that most will not expect. I know this is not new information and is readily available online but I just want to remind everyone and put it in perspective.

The rest of the land is bigger than most expect as well. Have I mentioned big? Yes I have a lot of negative to say but all in all this will still be 100 times better than anything WDW has done in the past 10 years.

Lee and HTF and Spirit are correct regarding Lorax and JP.

That sounds great, and thanks for sharing... but... is there perhaps an edited version of your rant that won't get anyone in trouble you could share?

Are your dissatisfactions with show-level stuff, or is it more of an internal politicking/bickering thing? A little of both? I didn't see your deleted post, and don't bother to reply if it would get you or anyone into trouble but I can't help but be curious here...

ParentsOf4

I remember my parents about those prices :D

And that comb over is EPIC!
Thanks to @Goofyernmost for posting the images from the 1983 Birnbaum Official Guide! Glad to know I didn't imagine my $35 WDW 3-day ticket. :)

That year, I was a poor student making $3.75/hour as a lifeguard during the summer (minimum wage was $3.35/hour) and, even in that financial situation, I still thought my $35 3-day ticket was a great value. However, I did sleep offsite in a tent to save money. :D

I love this chart from Wikipedia showing the history of minimum wage in absolute and 2013 dollars.

At $7.25/hour, today's minimum wage is about 10% lower than it was in 1983. Converting for inflation, my $35 3-day ticket would cost about $85 today.

Can you imagine getting a 3-day hopper today for less than 90 bucks?

Me neither. :banghead:

Last edited:

Soarin' Over Pgh

@whylightbulb you have my full attention :) that simply sounds amazing.

I'm probably one of only ten people in the world who haven't read the books nor seen the films.... Will it still be enjoyable for a seemingly shut in like me? (Haven't done either by choice...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom