Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blufusion

I have absolutely no clue what your post is all about, but it sounds like that you have finally seen the light and are doing better. It's a shame that you had to go through so much on the way. Having had health issues myself, I understand quite well what you've been through. Glad to hear you had fun in Hawaii.
I was trying to say. I'm finally over the WDW experience and now learned there is more to living than spending a fortune to go to a place the I have seen go from a great experience WDW was in the 80's and then experiencing a place that for me is not worth the money to spend for something that is not even trying to add something that people like me and you. That have been visited in what I call the Golden Age of WDW to 80's and early 90's. They seem to be just trying to sell DVC and all that. But once you have done things once or twice at WDW. It's been done. The visit to Hawaii was a life changer. I saw myself 15 to 20 years ago spending on Credit Cards and trying to live a life style that I thought would bring me happiness. I used to obsess about WDW every year. Not now.Not saying I would never ever go back to WDW. But it would not be at the cost of what Disney wants to charge. For me and many others we are all waiting on something new to experience. Maybe a Star Wars land. Forget Avatar I saw the movie it was cool for the effects. But for me I want something as a older adult i can know and appreciate.

Lee

Adventurer
This is the best quote ever. I started reading these Blogs and I started with The Laughing Place. WDW1974 was and is the same person or in his mind the Know all/be all BIG Cheese over there that was ed off because people would call him out on it. Thank you BrightImage. I was too one of those obsessed with WDW and all the things of WDW from 1982 to 1997. I finally after many years of stagnation and seeing that Disney is a company /Overlord of the people that are "Their Guest".

From 1985 to 1992 I went to WDW and I paid for it by cash and by Credit Cards. You have put is so perfect for me the way I have been wanting to say for many years. I'm in the same boat your are retired and had a great career beyond my Dreams and I am finally happy where I am. But today is the day that I am finally over Did and WDW and what it has to offer and to what it could offer.

The WDW I knew was actually a good value for me and a dream for a long time. But in the last few years I see no value in it. It like empty calories.Fills you up but has no value in the end. It has been a life long dream of mine since I was 12 yo and 1st knew about WDW. that I wanted to do WDW in "style" basically live and pay for the hype they offered.
I was very ill from 2005 to 2010. Heart,Kidney,and Liver problems. I was basically on the verge of dying. I had to retire and quit work and almost become homeless. Thank goodness I had the fortune of a great partner and blessings from GOD that we survived on his Tips as a server. He works at a Marriott Resort in saint Petersburg Florida and He is Damn Good at what he does and we survived for 4 years on what he brings home.

I applied for Disability and I received it in 2012. I worked from age 13 on the weekends and during the summers I worked full time.I was fully employed for all 34 years. I took unemployment for 1 year out of those 34 years. I worked for one company for 16 yrs. and I was let go and I took 6 moths off I had the funds to do so and I got unemployment. I never took a real summer vacation since I was 13 yo. Then when I got sick I lost my job and I got my unemployment for a total of 9 months in Florida, I had to take that as well. Because the day I got it. I fell and broke my right foot and right leg and was laid up for 6 months.

Back to what I was trying to saying. After having a well paid 25 years in Broadcasting career and getting my Disability and the back pay of 2 years. I got a decent amount. Enough for me and my partner to get back on our feet and take a vacation. Now don't assume I'm a welfare cheater or a bum. I get what I get. Because I out into the system and I deserve what I get each month and I'm grateful for that. I wanted to do the Big Bucket list of staying at The CR and WDW experience. But he works at Marriott and he took care of me for 4 yrs. while I was in and out of the hospital 9 or 10 times. We both discussed it and said screw this lets go to Hawaii. We did and thru his work and his discounts from Marriott. We went to Oahu stayed 8 days at Marriott's Ko Olina Resort. The last resort on the island maybe a quarter mile from Disney Aulani. 8 days in a villa, roundtrip airfare from Florida and a rental car and a 1 hr helicopter ride over the island. Total Cost of the whole trip. Not per person was $4000.00. It was the best trip ever. No made up "magic or screaming kids or mad adults who just spent a fortune for the Disney Touch. It was what we needed and I needed . Rest and relaxation.We had checked into doing the Aulani and the price for a room. Not a villa was $1000.00 more than our whole trip and we also checked into doing The CR at WDW it was the same way. And we live in Florida. This one statement you made . Is what I had been pondering and wanting to say about WDW and DISNEY and the Fanbois and the People like WDW 1974 and the others that get obsessed over a DAMN Theme Park. There is more to life than a theme park. WE have the money and yes it's been money not Credit Cards! We got rid of those 21 year ago and we pay for everything we do or buy or own in CASH. THJNK YOU YOU. THANK YOU so much. For today. I will not read anymore of these Blogs about DISNEY or WDW. For today and last year I realized I have a 2nd chance at living and seeing the real beauty of the world that Nature or GOD has given us. THANK YOU !!!!
Ok...I'm lost....o_O

Captain Chaos

Ok...I'm lost....o_O
I think what he is saying is, he used to be someone who would obsess over WDW... Then he/she got sick and realized there is more to life than obsessing over WDW... Saw the decline, but even so, enjoyed his trip cause of his new outlook.. But, the main point to his post is that we should be more worried about real world problems than what does or does not happen at a theme park...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I think what he is saying is, he used to be someone who would obsess over WDW... Then he/she got sick and realized there is more to life than obsessing over WDW... Saw the decline, but even so, enjoyed his trip cause of his new outlook.. But, the main point to his post is that we should be more worried about real world problems than what does or does not happen at a theme park...

There are those of us who ARE worried about real world problems, Recently I was helping some students design a water pump for use in India's rural villages so that the village could have an affordable for rural India pump for irrigation so they could increase agricultural output, Helping another group design solar systems for use in desert areas which is a lot harder problem than most people think as the desert is about as destructive to solar systems as the ocean is. I believe these qualify as 'real world problems'

What some of us want to do is FORGET our problems and burdens for a while (Without resorting to various forms of chemically induced altered states) and we are in danger of losing one of the few places that we can do that in.

The Visionary Soul

If you're using Walt Disney World as a place to get away from your problems, as escapism, you're missing the design intent. Disney's parks are about reassurance, that someone can do things right. The idea that you can go somewhere so perfectly designed and meticulously maintained and think to yourself, even if subconsciously, "OH MY GOD, SOMEONE GETS HOW THINGS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!! MY FAITH IN HUMANITY HAS BEEN RESTORED!! THE FUTURE HOLDS GOOD THINGS!!" And that, my friends, is what we are truly worried about loosing when things aren't up to par in the parks. When things are not working and paint is chipping, that feeling of reassurance goes away, and it becomes, "WELL, IT'S NICE, BUT IT'S NOT PERFECT. IT'S JUST LIKE THE NEW SOFTWARE ON MY PHONE, IT HAS BUGS."

What feeling do you want when you go to the parks?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
If you're using Walt Disney World as a place to get away from your problems, as escapism, you're missing the design intent. Disney's parks are about reassurance, that someone can do things right. The idea that you can go somewhere so perfectly designed and meticulously maintained and think to yourself, even if subconsciously, "OH MY GOD, SOMEONE GETS HOW THINGS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!! MY FAITH IN HUMANITY HAS BEEN RESTORED!! THE FUTURE HOLDS GOOD THINGS!!" And that, my friends, is what we are truly worried about loosing when things aren't up to par in the parks. When things are not working and paint is chipping, that feeling of reassurance goes away, and it becomes, "WELL, IT'S NICE, BUT IT'S NOT PERFECT. IT'S JUST LIKE THE NEW SOFTWARE ON MY PHONE, IT HAS BUGS."

Well Said Sir!

crispy

I'm not that deep. I just want a nice vacation where I can relax and enjoy my surroundings.

Last edited:

Lee

Adventurer
Then he/she got sick and realized there is more to life than obsessing over WDW...
Well, that's a no-brainer. I'm confident that roughly 93.492% of us here would agree with that sentiment.
For a vast majority of us here, including myself (and '74, who was referenced unflatteringly in that post for reasons unknown...), the time spent each day "obsessing" over Disney is actually very small.

I'm probably just as concerned with football season getting underway tomorrow...

crispy

Well, that's a no-brainer. I'm confident that roughly 93.492% of us here would agree with that sentiment.
For a vast majority of us here, including myself (and '74, who was referenced unflatteringly in that post for reasons unknown...), the time spent each day "obsessing" over Disney is actually very small.

I'm probably just as concerned with football season getting underway tomorrow...

For reals...who has time to worry about problems at a theme park when I have Fantasy Football to worry about right now! Stupid Peyton Manning...

whylightbulb

This discussion would be greatly improved with some @whylightbulb involvement.
Just sayin'...
Thanks Lee you are too kind:D

Well I posted a summary of my gripes and news on 722 but I have once again said too much so I've deleted it. My intention was not to tease and then take it away but I just got cold feet as my rumblings could have caused some waves within Creative and I'm not sure I'm ready to risk my work over it yet. Perhaps if I get even more frustrated but right now I'm focused on getting the project done. Maybe after that I'll post what I said...I've saved it for possible future use ;)

Last edited:

magicallactose

Actually magicallactose, as you kind of pointed out later in your post, the real key to building a good 3-D ride like Spiderman or Transformers relies in the video itself, but more importantly the placement of the ride vehicle in relation to the videos...But if you were too close (as you were suggesting for Little Mermaid) the effect is impossible because your vehicle's close proximity to the screens won't provide enough leeway for changing the perspective so that it works for the entire vehicle. And it is for this reason (and a few others) that other companies still haven't been able to duplicate the effect as convincingly as Universal... no one seems to really understand how many elements are required to make it work.

True, it is ideal to have a good distance between the rider and the screen, and Universal is an expert at proper placement. But I still believe that 3D screens mixed with the shifting perspective or 'squinching' effect (used so effectively in Transformers and Spidey) would work convincingly in the Little Mermaid ride. They would simply have to ensure that Ariel does not appear to extend 'through' the walls of the cavern.

I have tried out this Wii hack by Johnny Lee, which is essentially Universal's squinching effect using head tracking. Even on my small computer monitor and at a close distance, the sense of depth and parallax is amazing! And that is without the use of 3D.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member

Yesssss! Finally!! Whose your team @Lee? Everyone else tell me who their team is as well! Im pumped! We are leaving for WDW around 4 am tonight just so I can get settled in at Boardwalk and be ready for kick-off to watch the Falcons vs Saints game! #Rise Up!!! #AtlantaFalcons.

The Visionary Soul

True, it is ideal to have a good distance between the rider and the screen, and Universal is an expert at proper placement. But I still believe that 3D screens mixed with the shifting perspective or 'squinching' effect (used so effectively in Transformers and Spidey) would work convincingly in the Little Mermaid ride. They would simply have to ensure that Ariel does not appear to extend 'through' the walls of the cavern.

I have tried out this Wii hack by Johnny Lee, which is essentially Universal's squinching effect using head tracking. Even on my small computer monitor and at a close distance, the sense of depth and parallax is amazing! And that is without the use of 3D.

Ah, but how do you lock on to multiple heads at once? ;) (In the case of Mermaid?)

Lee

Adventurer

Well I posted a summary of my gripes and news on 722 but I have once again said too much so I've deleted it. My intention was not to tease and then take it away but I just got cold feet as my rumblings could have caused some waves within Creative and I'm not sure I'm ready to risk my work over it yet. Perhaps if I get even more frustrated but right now I'm focused on getting the project done. Maybe after that I'll post what I said...I've saved it for possible future use ;)
Crap. Missed it.
Yesssss! Finally!! Whose your team @Lee? Everyone else tell me who their team is as well! Im pumped! We are leaving for WDW around 4 am tonight just so I can get settled in at Boardwalk and be ready for kick-off to watch the Falcons vs Saints game! #Rise Up!!! #AtlantaFalcons.
image.jpg

DougK

Any time you are ready whylightbulb, we are anxious to hear what you have to say!

DougK

Well, that's a no-brainer. I'm confident that roughly 93.492% of us here would agree with that sentiment. For a vast majority of us here, including myself (and '74, who was referenced unflatteringly in that post for reasons unknown...), the time spent each day "obsessing" over Disney is actually very small.

Referencing 74 unflatteringly in a post has become a sport around here. I am just so amazed that we are lucky enough to have a handful of people like you and 74 on these boards and yet there are so many naysayers. I think without you folks these forums would be way less interesting. Wdwmagic itself is a fantastic site (thanks, Steve!) but the forum part needs good posters to drive it. You, 74, whylightbulb and several others are much appreciated by most of us here, believe me.

BryceM

Of course it is. Uni doesn't know how to build an 'E-ticket' atttraction without using screens.
Men in Black: Alien Attack
Revenge of the Mummy
Popeye & Bluto's Bilge Rat Barges
Jurassic Park River Adventure
Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls
The Incredible Hulk Coaster (this is an E-Ticket in my book)

And so on...

And plus, Rock 'n' Roller Coaster is at Disney.... And the on-ride experience doesn't even use screens at all. Instead, it uses 2-D cut-outs, which I actually like, but many people don't like them...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom