Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cody5242

On another totally different subject: on Breaking Bad's final four episodes Walt Jr. Has to die a very ugly death. He has to ... Whether his meth kingpin daddy dies (or how) or gets away with all, the kid has to die. He is the only pure character that is an adult, or in his case, close. Just my Spirited opinion.
I just hope Jessie lives and has a happy life in Alaska

FigmentJedi

As for Jurassic park the carnival games are already under construction and Uni Creative is already gearing up for the new attraction which i've been told (and Hatetofly over at the Uni forums was told) is still a roller coaster around an amber mine. Are you sure your not referring to that other roller coaster idea for JP called Raptor Racers or something? I know that was scrapped awhile ago. Either way coasters have no place in JP as far as i'm concerned.
Goddammit, I just want them to build the Jeep ride. Even if the attraction is a ripoff of CTX, taking a Jeep Tour of the park is something I want to do at Jurassic Park and its such an iconic part of the movie.

djlaosc

I'll take UNI's track record with replacement attractions over Disney's any day.

I just hope the talk I have heard about ET, O-Town's best dark ride still, staying are true.

Yeah, for me

Never experienced Kongfrontation - Revenge of the Mummy is a great ride
Preferred BTTF to The Simpsons, but The Simpsons is still a good attraction
Wasn't a massive fan of Jaws, but really looking forward to Diagon Alley

It will be sad to see Popeye/Dudley go, but hopefully they will be replaced with good attractions.

And, hopefully ET does stay - even if the Kidzone redo gives the area a unifying theme (DreamWorks, Smurfs, etc.), they could always make ET part of the Hollywood area.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'm not trying to be condescending or anything, but I think perhaps you might be so resistant to this idea, because you are confused about two things: how 3D screen technology works and how 3D might be implemented in both these rides.

First of all, yes physical objects such as sets and AA's can exist in the same scene as a 3D screen convincingly. The 3D effect doesn't simply vanish once something blocks part of the screen. The key is designing the 3D image so that it doesn't seem to 'dissect or interfere' with the physical objects. The key is designing the 3D image so that it interacts seemlessly with its surroundings. For example, a 3D screen could be placed at the back of a scene and made to look like a landscape that recedes into the distance. Or smaller 3D screens portraying moving characters could be embedded within a set piece, like a wall, or a tree trunk.

Have you been on the Little Mermaid Ride? Let's think of a way we could improve that ride using the type of 3D tech. Remember those LCD screens embedded in the rockwork, depicting an animated Ariel swimming around? Those were pretty unconvincing, weren't they? You are clearly looking at a monitor. But imagine if the image was 3D and the perspective of Ariel changed appropriately as you moved past her (using the technique already employed in both Transforers and Spiderman). Instantly, that effect is a lot more believable.

Now, let's picture the finale scene of ride, where we see Triton and Ariel and the cast of animatronics waving goodbye to us against a very shallow and flat sky backdrop. That scene is pretty underwhelming because there is no sense of space. It looks sort of like a Macy's Christmas window display. Now imagine if that entire wall was an HD3D screen, giving the appearance of an endless ocean beyond. Instantly, it's a much more compelling scene.

Do you understand now?

Great post, but you are under the mistaken impression that the op wants to understand. ;)

Spiderman has a number of physical sets, as well as non-3D projection effects that look just fine though the glasses so I don't see why this would be a problem with AAs.

The Visionary Soul

Actually magicallactose, as you kind of pointed out later in your post, the real key to building a good 3-D ride like Spiderman or Transformers relies in the video itself, but more importantly the placement of the ride vehicle in relation to the videos. The point of reference (and focus) changes in the videos as your ride vehicle moves past, just as it would if you were looking into that space in real life... but you also can't get too close to the screens if there are also physical set pieces present. Why? Well, it goes without saying that If the perspective didn't change, the 3-D would not be convincing at all. But if you were too close (as you were suggesting for Little Mermaid) the effect is impossible because your vehicle's close proximity to the screens won't provide enough leeway for changing the perspective so that it works for the entire vehicle. Universal knows this and keeps the vehicles decently far away from the screens when they attempt to seamlessly blend the video into the amazing set pieces. And it is for this reason (and a few others) that other companies still haven't been able to duplicate the effect as convincingly as Universal... no one seems to really understand how many elements are required to make it work.

Goofyernmost

I have a question that I know many of you will know the answer too, but since it is Saturday morning I am giving into lazy and just asking instead of looking. What would the recording studio in RcRC be called. It seemed to me from the first time I saw it that the back control room scene where the Aerosmith grouping is, is in 3D or certainly a very convincing copy of it. No glasses, but they sure seem 3D against the real 3D world right in front of them.:bookworm::)

Blufusion

I've been reading this site much longer than my login indicates, and this is the best post I've ever read here. Thank you so much.
I've been reading this site much longer than my login indicates, and this is the best post I've ever read here. Thank you so much.
This is the best quote ever. I started reading these Blogs and I started with The Laughing Place. WDW1974 was and is the same person or in his mind the Know all/be all BIG Cheese over there that was ed off because people would call him out on it. Thank you BrightImage. I was too one of those obsessed with WDW and all the things of WDW from 1982 to 1997. I finally after many years of stagnation and seeing that Disney is a company /Overlord of the people that are "Their Guest".

From 1985 to 1992 I went to WDW and I paid for it by cash and by Credit Cards. You have put is so perfect for me the way I have been wanting to say for many years. I'm in the same boat your are retired and had a great career beyond my Dreams and I am finally happy where I am. But today is the day that I am finally over Did and WDW and what it has to offer and to what it could offer.

The WDW I knew was actually a good value for me and a dream for a long time. But in the last few years I see no value in it. It like empty calories.Fills you up but has no value in the end. It has been a life long dream of mine since I was 12 yo and 1st knew about WDW. that I wanted to do WDW in "style" basically live and pay for the hype they offered.
I was very ill from 2005 to 2010. Heart,Kidney,and Liver problems. I was basically on the verge of dying. I had to retire and quit work and almost become homeless. Thank goodness I had the fortune of a great partner and blessings from GOD that we survived on his Tips as a server. He works at a Marriott Resort in saint Petersburg Florida and He is Damn Good at what he does and we survived for 4 years on what he brings home.

I applied for Disability and I received it in 2012. I worked from age 13 on the weekends and during the summers I worked full time.I was fully employed for all 34 years. I took unemployment for 1 year out of those 34 years. I worked for one company for 16 yrs. and I was let go and I took 6 moths off I had the funds to do so and I got unemployment. I never took a real summer vacation since I was 13 yo. Then when I got sick I lost my job and I got my unemployment for a total of 9 months in Florida, I had to take that as well. Because the day I got it. I fell and broke my right foot and right leg and was laid up for 6 months.

Back to what I was trying to saying. After having a well paid 25 years in Broadcasting career and getting my Disability and the back pay of 2 years. I got a decent amount. Enough for me and my partner to get back on our feet and take a vacation. Now don't assume I'm a welfare cheater or a bum. I get what I get. Because I out into the system and I deserve what I get each month and I'm grateful for that. I wanted to do the Big Bucket list of staying at The CR and WDW experience. But he works at Marriott and he took care of me for 4 yrs. while I was in and out of the hospital 9 or 10 times. We both discussed it and said screw this lets go to Hawaii. We did and thru his work and his discounts from Marriott. We went to Oahu stayed 8 days at Marriott's Ko Olina Resort. The last resort on the island maybe a quarter mile from Disney Aulani. 8 days in a villa, roundtrip airfare from Florida and a rental car and a 1 hr helicopter ride over the island. Total Cost of the whole trip. Not per person was $4000.00. It was the best trip ever. No made up "magic or screaming kids or mad adults who just spent a fortune for the Disney Touch. It was what we needed and I needed . Rest and relaxation.We had checked into doing the Aulani and the price for a room. Not a villa was $1000.00 more than our whole trip and we also checked into doing The CR at WDW it was the same way. And we live in Florida. This one statement you made . Is what I had been pondering and wanting to say about WDW and DISNEY and the Fanbois and the People like WDW 1974 and the others that get obsessed over a DAMN Theme Park. There is more to life than a theme park. WE have the money and yes it's been money not Credit Cards! We got rid of those 21 year ago and we pay for everything we do or buy or own in CASH. THJNK YOU YOU. THANK YOU so much. For today. I will not read anymore of these Blogs about DISNEY or WDW. For today and last year I realized I have a 2nd chance at living and seeing the real beauty of the world that Nature or GOD has given us. THANK YOU !!!!

The Visionary Soul

I have a question that I know many of you will know the answer too, but since it is Saturday morning I am giving into lazy and just asking instead of looking. What would the recording studio in RcRC be called. It seemed to me from the first time I saw it that the back control room scene where the Aerosmith grouping is, is in 3D or certainly a very convincing copy of it. No glasses, but they sure seem 3D against the real 3D world right in front of them.:bookworm::)
It's just a rear projection screen. No 3-D I'm afraid.

The Visionary Soul

This is the best quote ever. I started reading these Blogs and I started with The Laughing Place. WDW1974 was and is the same person or in his mind the Know all/be all BIG Cheese over there that was ed off because people would call him out on it. Thank you BrightImage. I was too one of those obsessed with WDW and all the things of WDW from 1982 to 1997. I finally after many years of stagnation and seeing that Disney is a company /Overlord of the people that are "Their Guest".

From 1985 to 1992 I went to WDW and I paid for it by cash and by Credit Cards. You have put is so perfect for me the way I have been wanting to say for many years. I'm in the same boat your are retired and had a great career beyond my Dreams and I am finally happy where I am. But today is the day that I am finally over Did and WDW and what it has to offer and to what it could offer.

The WDW I knew was actually a good value for me and a dream for a long time. But in the last few years I see no value in it. It like empty calories.Fills you up but has no value in the end. It has been a life long dream of mine since I was 12 yo and 1st knew about WDW. that I wanted to do WDW in "style" basically live and pay for the hype they offered.
I was very ill from 2005 to 2010. Heart,Kidney,and Liver problems. I was basically on the verge of dying. I had to retire and quit work and almost become homeless. Thank goodness I had the fortune of a great partner and blessings from GOD that we survived on his Tips as a server. He works at a Marriott Resort in saint Petersburg Florida and He is Damn Good at what he does and we survived for 4 years on what he brings home.

I applied for Disability and I received it in 2012. I worked from age 13 on the weekends and during the summers I worked full time.I was fully employed for all 34 years. I took unemployment for 1 year out of those 34 years. I worked for one company for 16 yrs. and I was let go and I took 6 moths off I had the funds to do so and I got unemployment. I never took a real summer vacation since I was 13 yo. Then when I got sick I lost my job and I got my unemployment for a total of 9 months in Florida, I had to take that as well. Because the day I got it. I fell and broke my right foot and right leg and was laid up for 6 months.

Back to what I was trying to saying. After having a well paid 25 years in Broadcasting career and getting my Disability and the back pay of 2 years. I got a decent amount. Enough for me and my partner to get back on our feet and take a vacation. Now don't assume I'm a welfare cheater or a bum. I get what I get. Because I out into the system and I deserve what I get each month and I'm grateful for that. I wanted to do the Big Bucket list of staying at The CR and WDW experience. But he works at Marriott and he took care of me for 4 yrs. while I was in and out of the hospital 9 or 10 times. We both discussed it and said screw this lets go to Hawaii. We did and thru his work and his discounts from Marriott. We went to Oahu stayed 8 days at Marriott's Ko Olina Resort. The last resort on the island maybe a quarter mile from Disney Aulani. 8 days in a villa, roundtrip airfare from Florida and a rental car and a 1 hr helicopter ride over the island. Total Cost of the whole trip. Not per person was $4000.00. It was the best trip ever. No made up "magic or screaming kids or mad adults who just spent a fortune for the Disney Touch. It was what we needed and I needed . Rest and relaxation.We had checked into doing the Aulani and the price for a room. Not a villa was $1000.00 more than our whole trip and we also checked into doing The CR at WDW it was the same way. And we live in Florida. This one statement you made . Is what I had been pondering and wanting to say about WDW and DISNEY and the Fanbois and the People like WDW 1974 and the others that get obsessed over a DAMN Theme Park. There is more to life than a theme park. WE have the money and yes it's been money not Credit Cards! We got rid of those 21 year ago and we pay for everything we do or buy or own in CASH. THJNK YOU YOU. THANK YOU so much. For today. I will not read anymore of these Blogs about DISNEY or WDW. For today and last year I realized I have a 2nd chance at living and seeing the real beauty of the world that Nature or GOD has given us. THANK YOU !!!!
I have absolutely no clue what your post is all about, but it sounds like that you have finally seen the light and are doing better. It's a shame that you had to go through so much on the way. Having had health issues myself, I understand quite well what you've been through. Glad to hear you had fun in Hawaii.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
On a totally different subject, it took me until this week to finally see Atlantis: The Lost Kingdom. All I can say is if that is bad Disney animation and storytelling then I'd love to know what is good. And that comes after a 12-minute piece, at least according to Don Hahn, that would have showcased a longer journey to find the place was cut by money guys.

I truly wish that Tony Baxter had been able to do his version of a sub voyage to Atlantis that he worked a lot on in the late 90s.

Glad you liked it - It was a good storyline and had some real 'Characters' if you take my meaning

flyerjab

On another totally different subject: on Breaking Bad's final four episodes Walt Jr. Has to die a very ugly death. He has to ... Whether his meth kingpin daddy dies (or how) or gets away with all, the kid has to die. He is the only pure character that is an adult, or in his case, close. Just my Spirited opinion.
I absolutely agree with this idea. I have been saying for sometime that Walt Junior is the only good, pure character on this show and he will at some point die...maybe involving accidental ricin poisoning. That stuff is still hovering in the background.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'm not trying to be condescending or anything, but I think perhaps you might be so resistant to this idea, because you are confused about two things: how 3D screen technology works and how 3D might be implemented in both these rides.

First of all, yes physical objects such as sets and AA's can exist in the same scene as a 3D screen convincingly. The 3D effect doesn't simply vanish once something blocks part of the screen. The key is designing the 3D image so that it doesn't seem to 'dissect or interfere' with the physical objects. The key is designing the 3D image so that it interacts seemlessly with its surroundings. For example, a 3D screen could be placed at the back of a scene and made to look like a landscape that recedes into the distance. Or smaller 3D screens portraying moving characters could be embedded within a set piece, like a wall, or a tree trunk.

Have you been on the Little Mermaid Ride? Let's think of a way we could improve that ride using the type of 3D tech. Remember those LCD screens embedded in the rockwork, depicting an animated Ariel swimming around? Those were pretty unconvincing, weren't they? You are clearly looking at a monitor. But imagine if the image was 3D and the perspective of Ariel changed appropriately as you moved past her (using the technique already employed in both Transforers and Spiderman). Instantly, that effect is a lot more believable.

Now, let's picture the finale scene of ride, where we see Triton and Ariel and the cast of animatronics waving goodbye to us against a very shallow and flat sky backdrop. That scene is pretty underwhelming because there is no sense of space. It looks sort of like a Macy's Christmas window display. Now imagine if that entire wall was an HD3D screen, giving the appearance of an endless ocean beyond. Instantly, it's a much more compelling scene.

Do you understand now?

And why in the name of Finagle did Disney not do it that way??? for an attraction with a reported capex in NINE FIGURES!!!!!

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Funny you should mention Bronie at this point. This past weekend in Raleigh, they had a Bronie convention. The TV cameras scanned the audience and honest to god I have never seen such a large group of losers in my life. It really was sad, and the news people kept making remarks about how weird it was and even at one point used the expression...Ewww!

I felt bad for these people whose problem was probably "arrested development" but they were not harming anyone else. They looked like lonely, sad and dysfunctional human beings desperately searching for friends and people to share things with. I got to thinking how lucky I have been in my life to not be dependent on stuff like that for my self worth. I've had a good career, a great family, a marriage that in spite of ending, did last 29 years and produced two great girls who have since produced 4 grandchildren for me to laugh, play and share with. I spend entirely to much time on this board and others, but since I am retired I no longer have the stimulation of interacting with people on a constant basis. This is as close as I can get to it.

All of us, and that includes the most sanctimonious of the posters here, and at other places, have some sort of socializing problem whether we care to admit it or not. From those like myself that readily admit that, for the moment, I have nothing else to do to those that would have you believe that they are the most sought after, highly productive people on the planet, yet can find the time to respond and comment almost continuously. To clarify, I don't have a problem with people obsessing about Disney, but I do respect those that take ownership of the fact they all of us have a degree of obsession. There is nothing wrong with that until we start to point out fingers at others the have the same or like obsession, but take a different route and call them either mentally ill or developmentally stifled. Believe me, to the outside world, to the people that have real challenges and really important things to accomplish in life, it is pretty likely the problems of Guests at any Disney Park, the condition of the light bulbs, the idea that a ride breaks down more then we would like, is not even anyplace on their radar. We are indeed a group of misfits that are relegated to our own self imposed island and could easily be looked upon, by them, as mentally ill and developmentally challenged.

I don't see anything wrong with us having that obsession. As was stated before we could be doing a lot worse but we have followed this relatively isolated hobby all the time remembering that it was all started by a cartoon mouse. We are not correcting the world and it's problems, but also are not hurting it with any degree of noticeable damage. When someone mentions that they wouldn't be surprised to see a life-styler involved in something much more serious someday, there is a pretty good chance that anyone of us might have that mutant gene just waiting to surface. That is something that can happen within any group of people. To quote the shadow..."who knows what evil lurks within the hearts of men".

When you think about it we are all fighting and arguing about a damn Theme Park. People are out there without the proper shelter and nourishment or clothing. There are people in the world being attacked by chemical warfare, oppressed by power mongers, suffering from natural disasters that have no end, and we as a society spend a large chunk of our day wondering what happened to Miley, and particularly us, we are constantly fighting to get a place like the Disney Company to go back to the original ideals that created the place that we call Disney. It's not going to happen, it's a different world so instead of beating our heads against the wall worrying about FP's, light bulbs, $600.00 hotel rooms perhaps we should advance our own development and try to help a failing world. Basically, I just realized just how little I am contributing to anything by being involved in this stuff. I have managed to take something that I used to find as a great way to shield myself from real life and made it as frustrating as real life. I have managed to zap the fun and joy out of something that I used to call a great part of my life, a part that I used to look forward too. Something just seems wrong doesn't it? Is it them or is it us? I don't have the answer to that.

I agree with what you've said here. In the end for me it boils down to a simple thought. I want Disney and anything I like or I personally am involved with to continuously push forward to offer the best. Now I won't lose sleep over anything Disney does but I do hope to work one day for them.

Working for Disney, for me offers an opportunity to be a part of something that provides many people with varying degrees of happiness and escapism. In a world of chemical attacks, political strife and financial woes, it is nice to get a change of pace and step outside all that is bad in our world. It is this philosophy that inspired Walt to create Disneyland in the first place. For me you can't put a price tag on seeing a kid beam with joy when they first visit Disney.

Captain Chaos

Of course it is. Uni doesn't know how to build an 'E-ticket' atttraction without using screens.
Just like Disney cannot build an e ticket attraction with working effects... What's your point? Screens are just fine...

I can't wait to see the Disney fans about Star Wars and Avatar e-tickets being screen attractions... Because screens are evil....

Nah, we know that won't happen... They will go on and on how great of an attraction it is, how screens are the best thing ever, then in the same breath mock Universal's use of screens... Just like the Disney Company, Disney fans are hypocrites...

flynnibus

Premium Member

Just a well integrated projection screen. Tho I don't find it all that convincing - it beats just a screen on a wall (something tsmm should have not forgotten)

flynnibus

Premium Member
. The fact they are doing it with no media attention tells you they don't want people talking about it, beyond those playing those slots or buying those lotto tickets.

I think your expectations are off. It's not in the media not because Disney is hiding it - but because slot machine licensing is never in the media you consume. The companies did put out press releases on this... And they were shown off at industry trade shows. It's simply the mass market does not follow slot machine trends and products.

Goofyernmost

Just a well integrated projection screen. Tho I don't find it all that convincing
Well, I surely did. It all looked very real to me and just for the record I wasn't some kid seeing it for the first time I was 53 years old. I just looked at it and thought...wow! I apparently have lead a fairly sheltered and entertainment starved existence.

lazyboy97o

Speaking of Disney and Marvel branding, has the Disney name shown up on anything for Thor: The Dark World? We've been hearing of Disney wanting their name on the Marvel Cinematic Universe since the acquisition and I believe we're now definitely past the end of Paramount's distribution agreement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom