Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee

Adventurer
It's tough to make a blanket statement like this as it is really dependent on the audience. Myself, as a father of two young children, really enjoyed Story Book Circus as it was geared for my children's age which made it enjoyable for our family. I suspect however that most older people (adolescents and up) would clearly favour the the new Simpson's area as they are more likely to know the simpsons than my six and three year olds do. To me it's not really comparing apples to apples as you need to look at the parks as a whole. Regardless (or irregardless) I think looking at it from this meta perspective makes the debate more meaningful.
Ok...I'll try it like this...
Simpsons > Storybook Circus for everyone over the age of six.

(True, it's a generalization. For all I know, some kids under six may also prefer Simpsons. I don't associate with people whose age is in single digits, so I'm basing my theory on pure assumption, guesswork and geniusness.)

The Empress Lilly

Ok...I'll try it like this...
Simpsons > Storybook Circus for everyone over the age of six.

(True, it's a generalization. For all I know, some kids under six may also prefer Simpsons. I don't associate with people whose age is in single digits, so I'm basing my theory on pure assumption, guesswork and geniusness.)
well as somebody below the age of ten i say u r rite!!1

WDWDad13

such upscale high dollar theming! to me it looks like some of Disney's value resorts

00-simpsons-2-500x375.jpg

DSC06969.jpg

4ff8765d51677488e8930b39981b4109.jpg

HMF

Fastpass+ is the MAJOR part of the upgrades. The entire resort is planned to revolve around it, and forcing guests into less choices and standby lines if they don't (or don't know) they have to micromanage their trip in advance. Fair enough, upgrade dated infrastructure, but do it at corporate level and leave the guest experience out of it. Too late was the cry.
They really need to kill off Fastpass+ and RFID Tracking while they still have the chance. They could prevent a major PR Blunder here if they would just let it go. Get rid of the negative elements while you still can. Any money wasted on this foolish venture will be trivial compared with the public perception problems this will likely cause.

Last edited:

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I'm sorry, but a lot of this thread (and nearly every thread ever created regarding the Next Gen project) just comes across as a lot of people upset about new technology that they've never used and don't understand.

Not new technology to many of us. I think you confuse people not understanding it when they in fact understand it exactly for what it is. I LOVE new technology and have every gizmo on the market. Just because its "new" doesnt mean it is good/better. As far as this thread goes,...yeah, its a hot mess, but it sure is fun!

Last edited:

WDWDad13

And that would be a big problem...if it wasn't entirely appropriate for the subject matter.

so with that logic... what would you have done differently to storybook circus to make it more appropriate for the subject matter and > springfield?

note: I personally think storybook circus was the wrong way to go thematically for that area...

ParentsOf4

And thats when the competent project manager starts the 'Pearl Harbor File' with all the estimates
A Pearl Harbor File doesn't help. All it does is show up the senior VP, segment head, and CEO; not a cool career move.:eek:

The best thing to do is know what they want to hear and keep repeating it, no matter how big the overrun. You remain The Golden Boy and pretty soon you're the one lopping off 20% from someone else's budget. :devilish:

As @The Empress Lilly suggested here, most budgets overrun dramatically. Sadly, the key to professional success is not producing an accurate budget or even keeping costs on track, it's knowing how the game is played. :banghead:

NextGen is horribly over budget because the entire corporate culture under Iger wouldn't have it any other way.

luv

It's tough to make a blanket statement like this as it is really dependent on the audience. Myself, as a father of two young children, really enjoyed Story Book Circus as it was geared for my children's age which made it enjoyable for our family. I suspect however that most older people (adolescents and up) would clearly favour the the new Simpson's area as they are more likely to know the simpsons than my six and three year olds do. To me it's not really comparing apples to apples as you need to look at the parks as a whole. Regardless (or irregardless) I think looking at it from this meta perspective makes the debate more meaningful.

I've said it before...

If you have toddlers or pre-schoolers, there is more for them at WDW. This isn't to say that there is nothing at Uni! But Disney has more for the wee ones.

If your kids are age 6-7 and up, both places are great. The 10-12+ crowd may be happier at Uni (especially boys!)

BryceM

I do think that some (not all) of the other Universal Studios lands are more well themed. Hollywood, San Francisco, New York and (previously) Amity are (were) much more detailed and prettier. The Gardens of Allah Villas in Hollywood and all of the little alleyways in New York are two areas that stand out to me as being just superb. New York would be perfect, if not for RockIt's visual intrusion, among a few other things. World Expo is also really pretty, but just mainly the area in and around Men In Black; especially the little waterfront area with all of the pretty flowers and landscaping.

But in general, New York, Hollywood and San Francisco are beautifully themed and designed. Springfield just isn't on the same level, but it's due to the source material honestly. Instead of placing you in a real place like the other lands do, you're being put into a satirical cartoon comedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom