Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuhio

It's not fruitful to consider Universal's new Simpsons area and MK's Storybook Circus as though they exist in a vacuum. If you did, then the two areas are fairly comparable. Each represents a modest plussing of an existing area. Each adds a new spinner (although it's arguable whether a second, virtually identical Dumbo is really "new" or not), as well as new retail/food venues and area decoration. Which one is subjectively better would largely turn on extrinsic factors like a guest's age and other background characteristics.

But these themed areas are not hypothetical designs that can be assessed solely by how compelling they appear on paper. The extent to which each is successful has to be considered in the context of the parks/resorts they're in, and the degree to which they contribute (or fail to contribute) to the positive trajectory of those parks/resorts.

The Simpsons area is a very small part of a very large and ambitious expansion at Universal that comprises countless additions over the span of many years. In stark contrast, Storybook Circus is a relatively large part of a geographically expansive but creatively modest addition to WDW -- a resort that has not had a unique, ambitious, and wholly original attraction in a very long time.

More tellingly, Storybook Circus has been met largely by indifference (if not a complete lack of awareness) outside of the Disney fan community. The Simpsons area, however, has generated considerable buzz -- not just from diehard Simpsons fans, but among a general public that's increasingly aware that it is but one small facet of a multi-year, multi-park expansion plan that's occurring at the resort that also brought the world that cool Harry Potter stuff just a few years ago.

It can be difficult, ex ante, to discern what kinds of additions will generate excitement among parkgoers and the general public -- what sorts of attractions and theming will ultimately pay tremendous, ongoing dividends in the long term.

However, it is something that top-level theme park executives (especially ones who are paid through the nose) need to be able to do, and do successfully. Based on the respective trajectories of WDW and the Universal Orlando resort, one can only hope that the execs at TDO have more success doing so going forward than they have had in the recent past.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
A Pearl Harbor File doesn't help. All it does is show up the senior VP, segment head, and CEO; not a cool career move.:eek:

The best thing to do is know what they want to hear and keep repeating it, no matter how big the overrun. You remain The Golden Boy and pretty soon you're the one lopping off 20% from someone else's budget. :devilish:

As @The Empress Lilly suggested here, most budgets overrun dramatically. Sadly, the key to professional success is not producing an accurate budget or even keeping costs on track, it's knowing how the game is played. :banghead:

NextGen is horribly over budget because the entire corporate culture under Iger wouldn't have it any other way.

The pearl harbor file is your 'insurance' that you stay the golden boy, As in boy this is a nice corner office you have here shame if you were not in it, along with a teaser from the file which if anything happens to you it's released.

Ever wonder why so many failed government projects always seem to reward the PM who 'failed', This is why it's not who you know but what you have on them...

71jason

Ok...I'll try it like this...
Simpsons > Storybook Circus for everyone over the age of six.

Everyone wants to rave about Potter--and why not, it's a game changer, a paradigm shifter ...

But ...The Simpsons has quite the following, too. Transformers is still a huge franchise that moves merchandise after 2 decades. Despicable Me 2 is one of the top movies this Summer--and Minion shirts seem to finally be Universal's "mouse ears" (the thing you see half the people in the park wearing).

Universal has figured out many things on the fly, but one seems to be modern characters can have as much appeal, maybe even more, than classic figures. Theme parks don't have to be pop culture museums.

luv

I have yet to experience Despicable Me because I think I should see at least one of the movies first.

But those minions are adorable!

And they do seem popular!

Last edited:

71jason

But in general, New York, Hollywood and San Francisco are beautifully themed and designed. Springfield just isn't on the same level, but it's due to the source material honestly. Instead of placing you in a real place like the other lands do, you're being put into a satirical cartoon comedy.

Kind of like there's no reason for Ariel's ride to have realistic rock grottos straight out of Hogsmeade. The surroundings should fit the setting.

Tom Morrow

While they could definitely do a better Springfield (take a step back and its really just a few facades, food stands, and statues), I don't think its fair to compare it to a major expansion like FLE/Storybook Circus. They took an unpopular quick service restaurant and converted it into something fun and popular, and on the other side of the road there was previously nothing at all. It was basically just "hey, we've got some extra cash, lets plus this area a little bit." They also built it in what, 5 months or less?

If only WDW would assess dead areas of its parks and revive them like this. At this point even relatively minor changes like this would be welcome. But instead we get nothing. And more nothing. And more closed, dead areas of the parks.

...or fancy bathrooms.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It's not fruitful to consider Universal's new Simpsons area and MK's Storybook Circus as though they exist in a vacuum. If you did, then the two areas are fairly comparable. Each represents a modest plussing of an existing area. Each adds a new spinner (although it's arguable whether a second, virtually identical Dumbo is really "new" or not), as well as new retail/food venues and area decoration. Which one is subjectively better would largely turn on extrinsic factors like a guest's age and other background characteristics.

But these themed areas are not hypothetical designs that can be assessed solely by how compelling they appear on paper. The extent to which each is successful has to be considered in the context of the parks/resorts they're in, and the degree to which they contribute (or fail to contribute) to the positive trajectory of those parks/resorts.

The Simpsons area is a very small part of a very large and ambitious expansion at Universal that comprises countless additions over the span of many years. In stark contrast, Storybook Circus is a relatively large part of a geographically expansive but creatively modest addition to WDW -- a resort that has not had a unique, ambitious, and wholly original attraction in a very long time.

More tellingly, Storybook Circus has been met largely by indifference (if not a complete lack of awareness) outside of the Disney fan community. The Simpsons area, however, has generated considerable buzz -- not just from diehard Simpsons fans, but among a general public that's increasingly aware that it is but one small facet of a multi-year, multi-park expansion plan that's occurring at the resort that also brought the world that cool Harry Potter stuff just a few years ago.

It can be difficult, ex ante, to discern what kinds of additions will generate excitement among parkgoers and the general public -- what sorts of attractions and theming will ultimately pay tremendous, ongoing dividends in the long term.

However, it is something that top-level theme park executives (especially ones who are paid through the nose) need to be able to do, and do successfully. Based on the respective trajectories of WDW and the Universal Orlando resort, one can only hope that the execs at TDO have more success doing so going forward than they have had in the recent past.

Problem with storybook circus is outside of the necessary capacity upgrade on Dumbo, Its just Merch, M+G and decorated bathrooms its just a disjoint set of circus elements, Its not a visit into Matt Groening's twisted town of Springfield like the UNI attraction is and the theming is perfectly matched to the minimalist style of cartooning used by the 'Simpsons'. Where else can you have a Krusty Burger and Skittlebrau to wash it down with. (why anyone would WANT to is left as an exercise for the reader)

UNI is coming up with immersive experiences, Disney is finding a way to annoy customers. which one will succeed in the end

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Everyone wants to rave about Potter--and why not, it's a game changer, a paradigm shifter ...

But ...The Simpsons has quite the following, too. Transformers is still a huge franchise that moves merchandise after 2 decades. Despicable Me 2 is one of the top movies this Summer--and Minion shirts seem to finally be Universal's "mouse ears" (the thing you see half the people in the park wearing).

Universal has figured out many things on the fly, but one seems to be modern characters can have as much appeal, maybe even more, than classic figures. Theme parks don't have to be pop culture museums.

Minions Rock, DW has a T-Shirt where a group of Minions is carrying off Dr Who's TARDIS and one of them has his sonic screwdriver as well.

luv

Took me a year and a half of prodding to see the first one from friends who raved about it. They were right--it's that good. So my turn--go watch the original DM now! ;)
Okay, okay. I can't promise I'll sit through the entire thing, but I'll order it from Netflix.

I rarely say this around here...I got all beat up the one time I admitted it...but I don't (aside from TLM, BatB, Lion King and parts of Aladdin) generally like the kid movies. This is certainly an inability of mine to appreciate them!! The fact that I am flawed does not in any way mean other people shouldn't love them!!!

But I'll turn it on. You're not the first to say it was good.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Okay, okay. I can't promise I'll sit through the entire thing, but I'll order it from Netflix.

I rarely say this around here...I got all beat up the one time I admitted it...but I don't (aside from TLM, BatB, Lion King and parts of Aladdin) generally like the kid movies This is certainly an inability of mine to appreciate them!! The fact that I am flawed does not in any way mean other people shouldn't love them!!!

"We are going to steal... The MOON!!!!"

luv

The food of Fast Food Boulevard is items seen on and derived from the television show. The food of Gaston's Tavern is related to the film how? Where were the cinnamon rolls and Cars Land drinks in Beauty and the Beast?
They had those big mugs! :)

Circus land does not appeal to me in any way, really. If I had a preschooler, I might feel differently. I do think the rest of the FLE is pretty. Not much substance, other than TLM ride, which I think is a great little ride...but it's pretty. That circus stuff is not pretty or cool or anything. IMO.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

I rarely say this around here...I got all beat up the one time I admitted it...but I don't (aside from TLM, BatB, Lion King and parts of Aladdin) generally like the kid movies. This is certainly an inability of mine to appreciate them!! The fact that I am flawed does not in any way mean other people shouldn't love them!!!

Its not a kid movie, It's really a movie about a self-centered guy learning to be a dad, It's also a bit like the old Rocky and Bullwinkle in that many jokes make kids and adults laugh for ENTIRELY different reasons. I think you will like it.

ThemeParkJunkee

I was just in Target today purchasing a birthday gift for my 3yo Grandson. In the aisle where movie character related merchandise was presented, only the Despicable Me merch had empty spaces and practically nothing left.
The Monsters University and Planes merchandise looked pretty full to me.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.

I dont think of them as kid movies. 2 is a funnier film, but 1 is a better story. Besides how can you go wrong with fart jokes.?
tumblr_l8pxdrzxjv1qcd28l.jpg
Or maybe its cause I have 3 girls and am an evil genius who plans world domination

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I dont think of them as kid movies. 2 is a funnier film, but 1 is a better story. Besides how can you go wrong with fart jokes.?
tumblr_l8pxdrzxjv1qcd28l.jpg
Or maybe its cause I have 3 girls and am an evil genius who plans world domination

Take over WDW first and make them ride The Little Mermaid for eternity, They can watch the plastic fish on sticks

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Take over WDW first and make them ride The Little Mermaid for eternity, They can watch the plastic fish on sticks
No's 2 & 3 are rather partial to the other place. :jawdrop: What can I say unlike the 1st born they have taste. And Ive been stuck on IASW and that seemed like eternity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom