Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Or maybe they realized that the concussions-in-sports angle is politically charged drivel that nobody cares about except New York Times readers (hence the article).

Boy, you are incredibly ignorant. Concussions and brain injuries in sports are a very important and topical issue. I'm glad to see the Times look into it and see that, apparently, Disney is putting NFL dollars over ESPN being allowed to do hard-hitting journalism.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

That makes no sense? Assume? He just stated that they look at guests as inventory, not that they consider guests their ONLY inventory.
I'm sorry, but, what makes no sense is the sentence that reads... TWDC now thinks Guests as inventory. As if the only thing that Disney might get involved with Walmart for would be to look at Guests as inventory. I didn't say that... you did. It's the same as saying that Disney has been in contact with Oscar Meyer. TWDC now thinks Guests as Hot Dogs.:hungry:

WDW1974

Original Poster
"Kids" would be different but Disney doesn't broadcast pee wee football. They broadcast Monday Night Football. We're talking about the NFL, which are grown men acting of their own free will.

Yes, with facts their employers have attempted to hide or downplay over the years as they made billions off of what these men did on the football field. And kids follow the example set (rightly or wrongly) by the pros.

But if you'd like to discuss this, start another thread.

The Empress Lilly

I feel like I have to continually open with a disclaimer... I am not endorsing the program. I'm just starting to realize its real goal - its real business potential.

I'm not sure if you are an Apple user, but I have to use iTunes as an example because frankly - it is the best integrated digital delivery system available.

1. When you do a search for say “Pirates” in iTunes it returns a search interface across multiple product lines, but is so intuitive and well organized it never feels overwhelming. Quickly – up pops “Podcasts” – “Apps” – “Books” – “Movies”. It integrates all media types and the purchasing is done in one click and instantly delivered. It is quick, seamless and easy. Uncluttered.

2. All these things are not only instantly available – they are written in the native code for your device. The download is gratifying and it instantly improves your life. You wanted that song right now – BAM. Movie – BAM. Apple has also integrated hardware offerings and upgrades… so easy to spend money and you get a real value out of it.

So here is my Disney Example:

1. Lets say the entire Disney company is linked by one interface. As a user you would just open up the app on your smartphone or computer. The entire company meaning; feature films, home entertainment, consumer products, broadcast television, parks and resorts, and gaming.

2. The app is smart in that it understands already your context. So lets say you are in a theme park already. It knows your schedule and geo locates you based on your position. You just got off Pirates of the Caribbean, which you did have on your itinerary. When you open up the app to order your lunch on your way to the next place it has a well designed window at the bottom with Pirates T-shirts. Your kid is in the store and instantly gravitates to a shirt and you notice that there is a line fifteen deep at the register… besides – he isn’t going to wear it now and you don’t want to carry it. So in one click you order the shirt and the app asks you in one button (home delivery or to resort). To appease your son you click “to resort” and invisibly it gets put on a small local delivery truck that drops it off at your resort.

Far more convenient and intelligent than the system we have now.

3. Now let’s say at the end of the trip you are headed back to the airport on Magical Express and you log in. A Facebook style timeline now appears documenting your entire visit. You can expand each day and it shows your ride photos, photopass images, along with each place you went. Not only that if you now click on Pirates that same little context window at the bottom now has a link to the streaming digital movie of Pirates of the Caribbean, since your son just can’t get enough.

4. You get home and Pirates 5 is about to open in theaters. In a great interface the same Disney app doesn’t display park info, but rather it knows that you like media. Your handy Disney app already knows you have bought fifteen different pirates items and streamed all four movies. It contextually has the pirates movie tickets available at your local movie plex. When you click buy, it downloads to your iPhone’s passbook, and when you leave the theater it has a discount coupon for the digital download waiting for you.

None of it overbearing. None of it in your face. But oh so easy to use.

Now… the system to do all this would be unbelievably complex and expensive. Hmmm…
Yes. We are acting like a bunch of scared old farts while Disney and new generations and the entire world moves on to new technology.

In WDW as in every organisation the rusty old people who've been there too long and who are too comfortable will resist all change, yapping all day long to everybody who will listen that the next organisational change will destroy the company. When really it is them who are too inflexible to keep up.

I for one applaud WDW for being in the forefront again, for putting the Walt back in Walt Disney World, for adding some 'wow' again. This NextGen initiative at last is the Spirit of EPCOT again.

scout68

I'm sorry, but, what makes no sense is the sentence that reads... TWDC now thinks Guests as inventory. As if the only thing that Disney might get involved with Walmart for would be to look at Guests as inventory. I didn't say that... you did. It's the same as saying that Disney has been in contact with Oscar Meyer. TWDC now thinks Guests as Hot Dogs.:hungry:

Just picturing MSUSA jam packed curb to curb with man sized wieners (can I type that?) Some wearing little mouse ears and frankfurter packs all shuffling around trying to make it to the next scheduled fast pass appointment. Actually laughed out loud. Thanks for that.

Tim_4

You know , I put out information and when I am unable or unwilling, people and moan about it.

But when I do, increasingly, instead of discussion, debate and questioning, you get basically bull posts like the above. Posts clearly designed to take personal shots at me without adding one bit of intelligent discourse.

Personally, I think that shouldn't be allowed here, but if I reported every inane post like yours, I'd have no time for anything else here.

I am glad you find yourself so amusing. Too bad we're not all in the same room or maybe you could make fart noises ...maybe those would wake up Mom.

So, Tim, I must ask since you are a TDO low level drone, do they pay you to attempt to derail discussion or do you do this just for fun hoping the bosses see it and are impressed?
Note to self: Jokes are unwelcome in this forum unless they're @WDW1974's particular brand of humor. Furthermore, if you fail to worship at the altar of the Spirit, you are clearly a low level TDO drone.

ParentsOf4

Yeah, and to '74's point...they never do that.
Why is NGE being handled so differently?
That's easy; because Iger's name is on it:
  • "And also in Florida, we are very excited about a new technology roll out, designed to enhance guest experience, and advance and expand guest engagement before their visits. We will provide details early next year, but among the many features and benefits of this technology is giving guests the chance to plan their itineraries ahead of time, including access to their favorite, and often our most popular, attractions." - November 8, 2012
  • "But we've been hesitant to give details until we're ready to really basically -- before it's ready for primetime, so to speak. But we're getting close." - November 8, 2012
  • "We are offended by the ludicrous and utterly ill-informed assertion in your letter dated January 24, 2013, that we would in any way haphazardly or recklessly introduce a program that manipulates children, or wantonly puts their safety at risk." - January 28, 2013
  • "I had the chance to try out our optional MyMagic+, ... The product I tested was impressive, and is a stunning example of how we are using technology to make our products and experiences more accessible and more compelling." - February 5, 2013
  • "The majority of the capital expense to create this initiative has already been spent." - February 5, 2013
  • "We're purposely not announcing when it will be rolled out. In effect, a lot of the features of this product will actually be rolled out over a long period of time." - February 5, 2013
  • "The goal is for us to roll out My Magic Plus at some point this year." - May 7, 2013
  • "I can also say that it's working, meaning those that are using it and we've got a number of people that have used it, have reacted very well." - August 6, 2013
If NextGen fails, it's a big black eye for Iger.

Last edited:

WDWDad13

Yes. We are acting like a bunch of scared old farts while Disney and new generations and the entire world moves on to new technology.

In WDW as in every organisation the rusty old people who've been there too long and who are too comfortable will resist all change, yapping all day long to everybody who will listen that the next organisational change will destroy the company. When really it is them who are too inflexible to keep up.

I for one applaud WDW for being in the forefront again, for putting the Walt back in Walt Disney World, for adding some 'wow' again. This NextGen initiative at last is the Spirit of EPCOT again.

AMEN! - this is similar to my post a while back talking about the workforce these days... old school vs new school... old school resists change while new schools want to try something new every day....Walt IMO was an innovator...and new school throughout his entire life (age doesn't matter what "school" you're in) :)

I think we're starting to see the turn within Disney to new school...we'll see

WDWDad13

That's easy; because Iger's name is on it:
  • "And also in Florida, we are very excited about a new technology roll out, designed to enhance guest experience, and advance and expand guest engagement before their visits. We will provide details early next year, but among the many features and benefits of this technology is giving guests the chance to plan their itineraries ahead of time, including access to their favorite, and often our most popular, attractions." - November 8, 1912
  • "But we've been hesitant to give details until we're ready to really basically -- before it's ready for primetime, so to speak. But we're getting close." - November 8, 1912
  • "We are offended by the ludicrous and utterly ill-informed assertion in your letter dated January 24, 2013, that we would in any way haphazardly or recklessly introduce a program that manipulates children, or wantonly puts their safety at risk." - January 28, 2013
  • "I had the chance to try out our optional MyMagic+, ... The product I tested was impressive, and is a stunning example of how we are using technology to make our products and experiences more accessible and more compelling." - February 5, 2013
  • "The majority of the capital expense to create this initiative has already been spent." - February 5, 2013
  • "We're purposely not announcing when it will be rolled out. In effect, a lot of the features of this product will actually be rolled out over a long period of time." - February 5, 2013
  • "The goal is for us to roll out My Magic Plus at some point this year." - May 7, 2013
  • "I can also say that it's working, meaning those that are using it and we've got a number of people that have used it, have reacted very well." - August 6, 2013
If NextGen fails, it's a big black eye for Iger.

NextGen won't fail... apparently they have a blank check until they get it right... it is the foundation for the future

Scuttle

Matt, you've stepped very close go the line before and you are now. My strong advice is that you step back and go play with your Lifestyler pal who told you my name and that I had an affinity for sports.

As to Garcia, he is a pathetic excuse for a reporter, a subject we BOTH know I know a bit about.
I got my popcorn ready on this dark and overcast Orlando night.

Scuttle

Ya know, sometimes these postings comes across, as an example, a young sports beat writer who's trying to break a story but the editor keeps tells him there's nothing there. But he keeps convincing himself there is but never brings anything to the table to prove it (in this case, gov't conspiracy, etc)

Anyway, I use that analogy because the beating that Jason Garcia gets here is...well, odd to say the least.

Do you read Garcia's articles? They are complete garbage, but I will say that garbage fits right in with the rest of the Orlando Sentinel.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Percentage wise, has any Disney project been that much over budget?

Good question and no way of knowing because Disney is not being transparent in any aspect of NGE.

And, again, they are acting like this project has no budget.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Anyway, I use that analogy because the beating that Jason Garcia gets here is...well, odd to say the least.

I think people in general are fed up with all forms of media that are obviously bought and paid for. By bought and paid for I dont necessarily mean money exchanged. It may be some other form of payment rendered but it is sooooooo obvious that it is rampant in the industry. It is getting more and more difficult to find real journalism that isnt slanted either openly or subtly. Any journalist that does try and give an unbiased story is usually silenced or fired.

I cant blame someone for trying to make a an extra buck, but dont cry when your exposed. The entire planet is heading towards an age of RFID. Its not just Disney doing this. If you watch the media stories it doesnt take long to figure out there are pushing it on everyone. I watched a story on GMA from a few years back and they were discussing RFID chips in children to be able to track them in the event of an emergency. They spoke with a "test" family who was the first to be implanted and the words "9-11", "terrorist", and "fear" were repeated like 45 times in less than 3 minutes. The video actually counted as they spoke to point what how bogus it was. Straight Propaganda.

The companies behind this whole movement are very smart and its been being planned for years. I dont what there end game is, but those companies/people that have sooooo much money dont wake up worrying about bills and saving for retirement like the average person. They have that money a million times over. The only thing they have left is to seek more power and control.

Last edited:

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
The fact that this thread is largely unmoderated (due to "user feedback") should not preclude anyone from acting like a decent human being. I suggest that all of you stick to the topic at hand (WDW, TDO, next gen etc) and leave each others personal lives out of the conversation. Those types of comments are irrelevant, do nothing to add to any conversation and only cause the person making them to seem less than credible. It is possible to disagree with someone without coming off as a jerk, it'd be nice to see a little bit more of that around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom