Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

rael ramone

It was also pointed out to me that as Lewis was still hammering out the finer points of his exit from Disney, he was already working for Wal-Mart. My person on the inside tells me these are not mutually exclusive circumstances. I'm told Disney and Wal-Mart have been working domestically with ''Disney as the student and Wal-Mart as the teacher'' ... I've asked some questions and am awaiting more info, but I have to believe someone out there reading knows more about what's being written here..

Just think of all the $$$ they can save. Now CMs during Christmas week instead having to pay them for 60-70 hours of work can be made to clock-out after 30... Maybe that savings will go to more reasonable prices at Deluxe Resorts and/or more worthwhile experiences :eek:

alphac2005

Give me a break. "Journalistic integrity" has literally nothing to do with Good Morning America or anything ESPN does, as that article suggests. Good Morning America is the journalistic equivalent of SkyMall.

ESPN tries damn hard to sell itself as a news organization with journalists and investigators from their on-air to print to online. Sorry, I come from old school journalism and if your morning news program is produced by the NEWS DIVISION (ABC NEWS, not ABC Entertainment), no matter how juvenile most of their garbage is on GMA, it's an utter joke that the corporation is deciding what occurs and doesn't in the news side. That goes for NBCU with Today's garbage.

The point of the article was more along the lines that money is grander than the truth. One sentence summary: "ESPN backs out of news program that looks very harshly at the NFL because they don't want to lose the NFL contract to FOX Sports." Simple.

DougK

Don't want to turn this into too much of a DVC tangent but on the other side your annual fees will continue to rise accoridngly. Obviously you are way ahead of rack rate but is the room you are receiving of equal value within the market. For example I could rent a week at Sheraton Vistana Villages down the road for less then that a night in a beautful 2 bedroom suite.

I'll second that. We stayed at Sheraton Vistana Village in a two bedroom, it was just my wife and me but for $700 for the week it was too good to pass up. We had a full kitchen, full size laundry, something like 1200 square feet of space and we were about 5 minutes from Disney property. Not to mention the large, screened-in balcony.

Animaniac93-98

I'll second that. We stayed at Sheraton Vistana Village in a two bedroom, it was just my wife and me but for $700 for the week it was too good to pass up. We had a full kitchen, full size laundry, something like 1200 square feet of space and we were about 5 minutes from Disney property. Not to mention the large, screened-in balcony.

It's a very nice place to stay, especially for families doing week+ trips. :)

Tim_4

ESPN tries damn hard to sell itself as a news organization with journalists and investigators from their on-air to print to online. Sorry, I come from old school journalism and if your morning news program is produced by the NEWS DIVISION (ABC NEWS, not ABC Entertainment), no matter how juvenile most of their garbage is on GMA, it's an utter joke that the corporation is deciding what occurs and doesn't in the news side. That goes for NBCU with Today's garbage.

The point of the article was more along the lines that money is grander than the truth. One sentence summary: "ESPN backs out of news program that looks very harshly at the NFL because they don't want to lose the NFL contract to FOX Sports." Simple.
Or maybe they realized that the concussions-in-sports angle is politically charged drivel that nobody cares about except New York Times readers (hence the article).

njDizFan

I feel like I have to continually open with a disclaimer... I am not endorsing the program. I'm just starting to realize its real goal - its real business potential.

I'm not sure if you are an Apple user, but I have to use iTunes as an example because frankly - it is the best integrated digital delivery system available.

1. When you do a search for say “Pirates” in iTunes it returns a search interface across multiple product lines, but is so intuitive and well organized it never feels overwhelming. Quickly – up pops “Podcasts” – “Apps” – “Books” – “Movies”. It integrates all media types and the purchasing is done in one click and instantly delivered. It is quick, seamless and easy. Uncluttered.

2. All these things are not only instantly available – they are written in the native code for your device. The download is gratifying and it instantly improves your life. You wanted that song right now – BAM. Movie – BAM. Apple has also integrated hardware offerings and upgrades… so easy to spend money and you get a real value out of it.

So here is my Disney Example:

1. Lets say the entire Disney company is linked by one interface. As a user you would just open up the app on your smartphone or computer. The entire company meaning; feature films, home entertainment, consumer products, broadcast television, parks and resorts, and gaming.

2. The app is smart in that it understands already your context. So lets say you are in a theme park already. It knows your schedule and geo locates you based on your position. You just got off Pirates of the Caribbean, which you did have on your itinerary. When you open up the app to order your lunch on your way to the next place it has a well designed window at the bottom with Pirates T-shirts. Your kid is in the store and instantly gravitates to a shirt and you notice that there is a line fifteen deep at the register… besides – he isn’t going to wear it now and you don’t want to carry it. So in one click you order the shirt and the app asks you in one button (home delivery or to resort). To appease your son you click “to resort” and invisibly it gets put on a small local delivery truck that drops it off at your resort.

Far more convenient and intelligent than the system we have now.

3. Now let’s say at the end of the trip you are headed back to the airport on Magical Express and you log in. A Facebook style timeline now appears documenting your entire visit. You can expand each day and it shows your ride photos, photopass images, along with each place you went. Not only that if you now click on Pirates that same little context window at the bottom now has a link to the streaming digital movie of Pirates of the Caribbean, since your son just can’t get enough.

4. You get home and Pirates 5 is about to open in theaters. In a great interface the same Disney app doesn’t display park info, but rather it knows that you like media. Your handy Disney app already knows you have bought fifteen different pirates items and streamed all four movies. It contextually has the pirates movie tickets available at your local movie plex. When you click buy, it downloads to your iPhone’s passbook, and when you leave the theater it has a discount coupon for the digital download waiting for you.

None of it overbearing. None of it in your face. But oh so easy to use.

Now… the system to do all this would be unbelievably complex and expensive. Hmmm…

That really is a great analogy and idea for a possible future development. I could see how this would be very popular to it's customer base with an actual realization of profit for Disney. It seems so much less nefarious and user friendly. It's up front(you can see how they are tracking your whereabouts and purchases) and concise

Now even if this is alligned with what disney is actually trying to do, could they pull this off? I would have my doubts as I watch my screen still spinning on an antiquated go.com platform.

djlaosc

Not really news but I find it interesting. It hints at what NextGen is all about and why it's so expensive. It's not about bands or Fastpass+. It's about a platform. Infrastructure. A network. It's Disney's iTunes, which was Apple's crown jewel even more than the iPod or iPhone. All that said, it has to work.

http://attractionsmagazine.com/blog...nd-new-toy-box-in-disney-infinity-video-game/

I've always said, if I could use the cars that I have to design in Test Track 2.0 in a videogame at home, I would be more interested in doing it - at the moment, it's pointless. However, if I ride 10 times during my holiday and then get to take those 10 cars home and use them for (potentially) years to come - then that would be great - it could even work in reverse (design the car on the console, attach it to your MagicBand/RFID Card and then see how well your design does in "the real world" instead of "the virtual world" - that would be something that would be interesting and worth doing.

However, my interest in designing a car at TT2.0 at the moment is 0%. With this, it would go closer to 100%. However, it still won't make me wear a MagicBand - would just sit in a pocket in a protective bag...

djlaosc

That is interesting. And it would make way more sense considering the development cost. Your Disney movie purchases, your vacations, your trinkets and souvenirs - all linked together in one platform... Disney's iTunes. One unifying interface to create a brand experience and more loyalty across all divisions of the largest global entertainment company.

If this is to be the case, then can other divisions of TWDC also start paying for it, and then the rumoured WDW expansions will stop getting apparently reduced in scale?

Pentacat

My person on the inside tells me these are not mutually exclusive circumstances. I'm told Disney and Wal-Mart have been working domestically with ''Disney as the student and Wal-Mart as the teacher'' ... I've asked some questions and am awaiting more info, but I have to believe someone out there reading knows more about what's being written here.

BTW, almost through Season 3 of Breaking Bad.

No one tracks inventory or products like Walmart, they've basically set the standard for inventory management and IT infrastructure for years. I seem to remember Walmart spent a huge amount of time and money on RFID in recent years. TWDC now thinks Guests as inventory.

BReaking BAd only gets better...

MattM

Ya know, sometimes these postings comes across, as an example, a young sports beat writer who's trying to break a story but the editor keeps tells him there's nothing there. But he keeps convincing himself there is but never brings anything to the table to prove it (in this case, gov't conspiracy, etc)

Anyway, I use that analogy because the beating that Jason Garcia gets here is...well, odd to say the least.

MattM

Maybe they're building a death star with McDonald's, Coke, Apple, ExxonMobil, the Republican Party, and the NSA. That's why Disney had to buy out Lucas. They needed the schematics for the battlestation.
You missed a defense contractor...don't forget Northrop or Lockheed.

MattM

Just think of all the $$$ they can save. Now CMs during Christmas week instead having to pay them for 60-70 hours of work can be made to clock-out after 30... Maybe that savings will go to more reasonable prices at Deluxe Resorts and/or more worthwhile experiences :eek:
Well, really they would be made to clock out under 30 hours. Gotta account for a political health system that we are not allowed to talk about here ;)

MattM

The only journalistic type of product that comes out of ESPN are their video montages, and anything by Tom Rinaldi...gets my every time.

FigmentFreak

I sat and watched testing this morning at POFQ for around an hour and a half...and I have to admit I found it slightly amusing to see:

1) People bringing down their coffee cups from their rooms, and them not working (coffee is not rapidfill, but sodas are).

2) People trying to use older mugs or mugs from water parks...and them not working. The funniest (to me) was a family with about 10 mugs on their table, all obviously not Rapidfill (they changed out the colors to purple, orange and green for the testing rollout)...I had noted the Dad walking up with two handfuls of cups, and the machines not working for him...they looked miserable.

3) People trying to use the machines (over and over) without putting their mugs / cups all the way down on the RFID reader tray.

4) People with paper cups who didn't notice the LCD saying they had to wait x and y time period before getting a refill....who kept going from one side of the beverage station to the other with a confused look on their face.

5) The ice machines still being empty on one side, and overflow your cup on the other...or vice versa, and people still overfilling their mugs, even though the LCD has a neat little "graphic" to show you how full you cup is.

Man, this system may really have something to it!

I just got my FP+ for POFQ to go watch this fun new show at WDW.
Wonder if they have t-shirts for it. The magical rapid refill experience - Disneyparks

alphac2005

The only journalistic type of product that comes out of ESPN are their video montages, and anything by Tom Rinaldi...gets my every time.

I'm not arguing one bit, I think it's laughable that they try to sell themselves as a news organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom