Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goofyernmost

No one tracks inventory or products like Walmart, they've basically set the standard for inventory management and IT infrastructure for years. I seem to remember Walmart spent a huge amount of time and money on RFID in recent years. TWDC now thinks Guests as inventory.
Only if you assume that Disney as no other inventory other then Guests. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. I would suspect that they have massive inventory in merchandise, furniture, food, equipment, spare parts to just name a few things.

Keys Please

This may be old news, but how about the making of "Escape from Tomorrow" for some real WDW privacy invasion. Check CNN for the video. Sorry, can't post link at the moment.

willtravel

I feel like I have to continually open with a disclaimer... I am not endorsing the program. I'm just starting to realize its real goal - its real business potential.

I'm not sure if you are an Apple user, but I have to use iTunes as an example because frankly - it is the best integrated digital delivery system available.

1. When you do a search for say “Pirates” in iTunes it returns a search interface across multiple product lines, but is so intuitive and well organized it never feels overwhelming. Quickly – up pops “Podcasts” – “Apps” – “Books” – “Movies”. It integrates all media types and the purchasing is done in one click and instantly delivered. It is quick, seamless and easy. Uncluttered.

2. All these things are not only instantly available – they are written in the native code for your device. The download is gratifying and it instantly improves your life. You wanted that song right now – BAM. Movie – BAM. Apple has also integrated hardware offerings and upgrades… so easy to spend money and you get a real value out of it.

So here is my Disney Example:

1. Lets say the entire Disney company is linked by one interface. As a user you would just open up the app on your smartphone or computer. The entire company meaning; feature films, home entertainment, consumer products, broadcast television, parks and resorts, and gaming.

2. The app is smart in that it understands already your context. So lets say you are in a theme park already. It knows your schedule and geo locates you based on your position. You just got off Pirates of the Caribbean, which you did have on your itinerary. When you open up the app to order your lunch on your way to the next place it has a well designed window at the bottom with Pirates T-shirts. Your kid is in the store and instantly gravitates to a shirt and you notice that there is a line fifteen deep at the register… besides – he isn’t going to wear it now and you don’t want to carry it. So in one click you order the shirt and the app asks you in one button (home delivery or to resort). To appease your son you click “to resort” and invisibly it gets put on a small local delivery truck that drops it off at your resort.

Far more convenient and intelligent than the system we have now.

3. Now let’s say at the end of the trip you are headed back to the airport on Magical Express and you log in. A Facebook style timeline now appears documenting your entire visit. You can expand each day and it shows your ride photos, photopass images, along with each place you went. Not only that if you now click on Pirates that same little context window at the bottom now has a link to the streaming digital movie of Pirates of the Caribbean, since your son just can’t get enough.

4. You get home and Pirates 5 is about to open in theaters. In a great interface the same Disney app doesn’t display park info, but rather it knows that you like media. Your handy Disney app already knows you have bought fifteen different pirates items and streamed all four movies. It contextually has the pirates movie tickets available at your local movie plex. When you click buy, it downloads to your iPhone’s passbook, and when you leave the theater it has a discount coupon for the digital download waiting for you.

None of it overbearing. None of it in your face. But oh so easy to use.

Now… the system to do all this would be unbelievably complex and expensive. Hmmm…
Thanks for the explanation. Don't think it will affect me. I have a cell phone with a prepaid card that I buy every 3 months. Use only for emergencies. Don't use apps.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Only if you assume that Disney as no other inventory other then Guests. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. I would suspect that they have massive inventory in merchandise, furniture, food, equipment, spare parts to just name a few things.
That makes no sense? Assume? He just stated that they look at guests as inventory, not that they consider guests their ONLY inventory.

ChrisM

Oh, I received an interesting note this morning. Maybe some folks know more about this and would like to post. It appears WDW and Wal-Mart share more than simply a customer base: Jim Lewis ...the disgraced ex-DVC head honcho.

Wanna know something even more interesting, or sad depending on how you view things? Jim Lewis is the Orlando Sentinel's/Jason Garcia's only source 'within' TWDC ---outside of paid CP publicists -- after SIX YEARS working on that beat.

Now, you ask why Disney or, for that matter, Wal-Mart -- which also uses redneck family values to sell its products -- would have anything to do with the one-time rising star turned disgraced number cruncher? It had me wondering too.

Then, I was reminded of the disproportionate muscle he was able to wield in framing his departure from Disney and his continuing relationship consulting for Disney, while working as an exec for Wal-Mart in Orlando.

It was also pointed out to me that as Lewis was still hammering out the finer points of his exit from Disney, he was already working for Wal-Mart. My person on the inside tells me these are not mutually exclusive circumstances. I'm told Disney and Wal-Mart have been working domestically with ''Disney as the student and Wal-Mart as the teacher'' ... I've asked some questions and am awaiting more info, but I have to believe someone out there reading knows more about what's being written here.

BTW, almost through Season 3 of Breaking Bad.

ChrisM's Cautious CliffsNotes:

• Jim Lewis, former President of the Disney Vacation Club, now works as Vice President and Regional General Manager of Operations (Central Florida) for Walmart.
  • Prior to working for the Walt Disney Company he was an accountant at PriceWaterhouseCoopers, Senior Manager, Planning and Analysis and Director, Investor Relations at PepsiCo, and an Area Vice President at Frito Lay.
  • Lewis was fired from Disney in 2011 due to Aulani timeshares being sold for over a year with mistakenly low annual dues which would have Disney facing losses on operational costs.
  • Mr. Lewis has been consulting for Disney since he was fired and Lewis was working in his position at Walmart during the negotiation of his departure from Disney.
  • Someone within Disney believes Disney executives are looking at certain Walmart business practices as a model to be emulated.
  • Jim Lewis is a source of Jason Garcia's, the primary Orlando Sentinel theme park business reporter. (Editor's Note: Jason is Kanadian and therefore cannot be trusted.)

Last edited:

Captain Neo

Oh, I received an interesting note this morning. Maybe some folks know more about this and would like to post. It appears WDW and Wal-Mart share more than simply a customer base: Jim Lewis ...the disgraced ex-DVC head honcho.

Wanna know something even more interesting, or sad depending on how you view things? Jim Lewis is the Orlando Sentinel's/Jason Garcia's only source 'within' TWDC ---outside of paid CP publicists -- after SIX YEARS working on that beat.

Now, you ask why Disney or, for that matter, Wal-Mart -- which also uses redneck family values to sell its products -- would have anything to do with the one-time rising star turned disgraced number cruncher? It had me wondering too.

Then, I was reminded of the disproportionate muscle he was able to wield in framing his departure from Disney and his continuing relationship consulting for Disney, while working as an exec for Wal-Mart in Orlando.

It was also pointed out to me that as Lewis was still hammering out the finer points of his exit from Disney, he was already working for Wal-Mart. My person on the inside tells me these are not mutually exclusive circumstances. I'm told Disney and Wal-Mart have been working domestically with ''Disney as the student and Wal-Mart as the teacher'' ... I've asked some questions and am awaiting more info, but I have to believe someone out there reading knows more about what's being written here.

It's like a nightmare I just can't wake up from

mgf

No one tracks inventory or products like Walmart, they've basically set the standard for inventory management and IT infrastructure for years. I seem to remember Walmart spent a huge amount of time and money on RFID in recent years. TWDC now thinks Guests as inventory.

BReaking BAd only gets better...

This.

For all its real (and perceived) faults, WalMart has put a significant amount of effort into inventory tracking, supply chain management, and predictive and reactionary sales.

1) I have read repeatedly that WalMart orders inventory on a sell-and-replace basis that automatically places an order when a product is scanned at the register. This allows them to keep the stores full but also to see exactly when items sell - which has to give some pretty amazing analytics. Obvious connection is food/beverage and merch sales. Also would let them tie that turkey leg to the plush bought two days later.

2) On supply chain, I believe that all their shipping containers and boxes are RFID tagged, and all the trucks are GPS enabled (they show that much in TV ads). They apparently have incredible cost efficiency when running trucks and this allows them to run mostly or always loaded semis. They have also done a lot to increase fuel efficiency and reuse of boxes via these systems. Obvious connection is the busses.

3) Finally, WalMart and many other distributers have adapted very flexible supply chain processes that allow them to react to sudden events (hurricanes....changes in crowds) and to better track trends. I think something like real time staffing needs might be incredibly useful or even more accurate vendor orders for perishables, etc.

Just some thoughts.

WDWFanDave

Your in luck Walmart is having a sale on gallon jugs of Scope...... .98 cents.

Was just there and noticed the suspect bottles in question...prominently displayed, and perhaps of no relation at all, but worthy of mention, they were all out of gallons of water. (The labels looked a bit suspect too)
:)

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
i'll go one further: unless you invested in DVC before the turn of the century, you're in a losing proposition.

i know a dude that bought BLT and aulani points and is ready to plunk down more cash for GF points. WHAAAA?! why?! that's just addictive spending. other than essentially collecting disney status, what does any of that do for you?

why i love our DVC is because we've had it for 20 years (that includes 7 years of free -- yes, free -- park passes. when the parks were maintained at state-of-the-art level, there truly was nothing better. now, i can experience WDW the a la carte way (like most rubes would prefer to order from their favorite premium dining locale): a day or two at MK here, a dinner there, a UNI day, an IOA day, etc.

anecdotal aside: we tried to book two rooms at saratoga for the weekend after thanksgiving at exactly 6 months out. wait listed for one of the nights. even over the holiday, that shocks me.
For us that was the problem - when DVC made financial sense, we couldn't afford it. Now that we can afford it, well, DVC just isn't worth it.
We are seriously considering buying a central Florida condo next year instead.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Not really news but I find it interesting. It hints at what NextGen is all about and why it's so expensive. It's not about bands or Fastpass+. It's about a platform. Infrastructure. A network. It's Disney's iTunes, which was Apple's crown jewel even more than the iPod or iPhone. All that said, it has to work.

http://attractionsmagazine.com/blog...nd-new-toy-box-in-disney-infinity-video-game/

Oh, so those MAGIC Bands have a use outside WDW? They can be active in people's homes? Is that what you are saying?

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Not really news but I find it interesting. It hints at what NextGen is all about and why it's so expensive. It's not about bands or Fastpass+. It's about a platform. Infrastructure. A network. It's Disney's iTunes, which was Apple's crown jewel even more than the iPod or iPhone. All that said, it has to work.

http://attractionsmagazine.com/blog...nd-new-toy-box-in-disney-infinity-video-game/

Holy crap, the finance side of my mind screams brilliance because of product cross synergies. However, the other side of me goes holy technology... Embrace and deal with it or run for the hills?

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Oh, so those MAGIC Bands have a use outside WDW? They can be active in people's homes? Is that what you are saying?

I think it's more like a data ID you obtain by visiting WDW and you can upload it to the game for an unlock. Which would be 100% intended to get kids to ask more about visiting Disney.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Maybe they're building a death star with McDonald's, Coke, Apple, ExxonMobil, the Republican Party, and the NSA. That's why Disney had to buy out Lucas. They needed the schematics for the battlestation.

You know , I put out information and when I am unable or unwilling, people and moan about it.

But when I do, increasingly, instead of discussion, debate and questioning, you get basically bull posts like the above. Posts clearly designed to take personal shots at me without adding one bit of intelligent discourse.

Personally, I think that shouldn't be allowed here, but if I reported every inane post like yours, I'd have no time for anything else here.

I am glad you find yourself so amusing. Too bad we're not all in the same room or maybe you could make fart noises ...maybe those would wake up Mom.

So, Tim, I must ask since you are a TDO low level drone, do they pay you to attempt to derail discussion or do you do this just for fun hoping the bosses see it and are impressed?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom