Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoChesterHester

I think you underestimate the fanboy. For example, it costs at least $130 to obtain a complete set of Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom cards. Paper cards is all they are. And people spend.

If this angle is true, I find it totally genius. If the interface is right, which right now it definitely isn't, then this could be amazing. If done right it could totally change my opinion.

BUT - based on the current app they are a long way from that sort of ecosystem type approach.

If they did it right the integration is dynamic and organic. Pop open the app after riding POTC to figure out where you are going next and the bottom scroll panel has POTC T-shirts available - your on-ride photo is already there - by the end of the day an entire profile is built. A Facebook style timeline would be very powerful. I can totally see how recovering two billion dollars with a system like that would be no problem.

I just wonder if they could pull something like that off.

JoeCamel

Saw an ad today for a life care facility and what was everyone wearing to gain entry to rooms and keep track of people??? Magic Bands!!

WDW1974

Original Poster
Speaking just for myself...
I have been basing my opinions and discussion on what I'm hearing the likely final total is likely to be, which is well over $2bill.

Nitpicking it down to current spend, original budget, new budget...is just that. Nitpicking.

Is it accurate to say the budget was approx $1.3b? Yes, though that number is really no longer relevant.

Is it accurate to say they are spending over $2b?, and that the spending is out if hand? Yes.

Internally, they are looking far more at the total, higher number than at the original budget which is somewhat irrelevant now.

Great post. But you've already long since been tossed in my 'minion' bin ... To me, though, you do more damage to yourself by explaining numbers.

It isn't your role or responsibility to anyone here to explain the numbers. They are insane and they speak for themselves. While I hate the hyperbole and outright lying '74 says it's $3 billion and could be 7 billion when it is all over', I also hate the absurd bickering over numbers that really are FREAKING INSANE.

Not your job or mine or anyone's to explain what the numbers mean and you fall right into the trap set when you do so.

This is the type of project that if there was any fairness in business (or karma as some folks believe) Iger, Staggs, Rasulo, Franklin, Crofton, MacPhee and Kalogridis would all be unemployed right now and facing tough questions from the investment community.

It has already been established that this project is far over budget and the figures are huge to begin with. Yet no one is asking questions ...can you imagine if Disney announced a fifth gate, started building with a $1 billion budget and then kept increasing the cost/budget?Can you imagine the questions asked?? Of course you can't because it would never happen. It would never be allowed to happen. Again, this project is being run like a government deal where it can have an endless budget ...NO, I DO NOT SAY OR INFER ANYTHING BEYOND THE FACTS.

The program is is incredibly expensive, incredibly over budget and incredibly out of control. That's really what is worth discussing. The rest of this is sorta like arguing over a shade of paint used on the Mermaid show building (a Merfie argument) while ignoring the quality of the attraction or whether it should have even been built.

Tim_4

If this angle is true, I find it totally genius. If the interface is right, which right now it definitely isn't, then this could be amazing. If done right it could totally change my opinion.

BUT - based on the current app they are a long way from that sort of ecosystem type approach.

If they did it right the integration is dynamic and organic. Pop open the app after riding POTC to figure out where you are going next and the bottom scroll panel has POTC T-shirts available - your on-ride photo is already there - by the end of the day an entire profile is built. A Facebook style timeline would be very powerful. I can totally see how recovering two billion dollars with a system like that would be no problem.

I just wonder if they could pull something like that off.
Now you understand my unholy crusade. I don't care if people hate NextGen. I'm not sure I'm a fan myself. But so much of the criticism comes from a misunderstanding of the nature of the project itself. Criticize away, but criticize reality, not the mythical spectre of a $2 billion bracelet.

WDWDad13

It's also irrelevant what we think. This project will resume, be tweaked, changed, overspent, etc etc until its a success in their eyes and hopefully ours too

They are building a foundation for many future layers

njDizFan

Your figures assume the rack rate will stay stagnant. It will be interesting to see what a night costs in 2025. :eek:

Don't want to turn this into too much of a DVC tangent but on the other side your annual fees will continue to rise accoridngly. Obviously you are way ahead of rack rate but is the room you are receiving of equal value within the market. For example I could rent a week at Sheraton Vistana Villages down the road for less then that a night in a beautful 2 bedroom suite.

willtravel

That is interesting. And it would make way more sense considering the development cost. Your Disney movie purchases, your vacations, your trinkets and souvenirs - all linked together in one platform... Disney's iTunes. One unifying interface to create a brand experience and more loyalty across all divisions of the largest global entertainment company.

Not trying to be sarcastic, and this would do what for me?

NoChesterHester

Now you understand my unholy crusade. I don't care if people hate NextGen. I'm not sure I'm a fan myself. But so much of the criticism comes from a misunderstanding of the nature of the project itself. Criticize away, but criticize reality, not the mythical spectre of a $2 billion bracelet.

Yup. I don't mean my "genius" comment to be one of full endorsement... only that I see its business potential. Selfishly I'd rather have another five new rides in the parks than this.

It just didn't make sense to me that Disney wanted to track us on the potties and send us text messages to go to another part of the park. I can understand some opps folk would love that, but you don't spend billion$ on that. Some folks are losing sight of the intent. All comes down to intent. Disney doesn't want to "track you" because they have some nefarious purpose of selling your walking profile to Fleet Feet. There would be way too much at risk. Tracking you as part of the global Disney iTunes style world - I totally understand why that would be attractive to them. If they make it better, truly more convenient, and more seamless they absolutely will get more money.

Tim_4

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/24/s...to-prompt-espn-to-quit-film-project.html?_r=0

Towards the end of the article, there is a very interesting tidbit about The Weatherman injecting himself, on a micromanaging level akin to Eisner and a conflict of the corporation and editorial content, which the whole article itself is all about.
Give me a break. "Journalistic integrity" has literally nothing to do with Good Morning America or anything ESPN does, as that article suggests. Good Morning America is the journalistic equivalent of SkyMall.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Oh, I received an interesting note this morning. Maybe some folks know more about this and would like to post. It appears WDW and Wal-Mart share more than simply a customer base: Jim Lewis ...the disgraced ex-DVC head honcho.

Wanna know something even more interesting, or sad depending on how you view things? Jim Lewis is the Orlando Sentinel's/Jason Garcia's only source 'within' TWDC ---outside of paid CP publicists -- after SIX YEARS working on that beat.

Now, you ask why Disney or, for that matter, Wal-Mart -- which also uses redneck family values to sell its products -- would have anything to do with the one-time rising star turned disgraced number cruncher? It had me wondering too.

Then, I was reminded of the disproportionate muscle he was able to wield in framing his departure from Disney and his continuing relationship consulting for Disney, while working as an exec for Wal-Mart in Orlando.

It was also pointed out to me that as Lewis was still hammering out the finer points of his exit from Disney, he was already working for Wal-Mart. My person on the inside tells me these are not mutually exclusive circumstances. I'm told Disney and Wal-Mart have been working domestically with ''Disney as the student and Wal-Mart as the teacher'' ... I've asked some questions and am awaiting more info, but I have to believe someone out there reading knows more about what's being written here.

BTW, almost through Season 3 of Breaking Bad.

Nemo14

Also, did I disappoint my Disney obsessed stalker by leaving town for a few days?

Oh, you were gone?
laugh2.gif

Nemo14

Oh, I received an interesting note this morning. Maybe some folks know more about this and would like to post. It appears WDW and Wal-Mart share more than simply a customer base: Jim Lewis ...the disgraced ex-DVC head honcho.

Wanna know something even more interesting, or sad depending on how you view things? Jim Lewis is the Orlando Sentinel's/Jason Garcia's only source 'within' TWDC ---outside of paid CP publicists -- after SIX YEARS working on that beat.

Now, you ask why Disney or, for that matter, Wal-Mart -- which also uses redneck family values to sell its products -- would have anything to do with the one-time rising star turned disgraced number cruncher? It had me wondering too.

Then, I was reminded of the disproportionate muscle he was able to wield in framing his departure from Disney and his continuing relationship consulting for Disney, while working as an exec for Wal-Mart in Orlando.

It was also pointed out to me that as Lewis was still hammering out the finer points of his exit from Disney, he was already working for Wal-Mart. My person on the inside tells me these are not mutually exclusive circumstances. I'm told Disney and Wal-Mart have been working domestically with ''Disney as the student and Wal-Mart as the teacher'' ... I've asked some questions and am awaiting more info, but I have to believe someone out there reading knows more about what's being written here.

very interesting....

luv

Remember when we thought mere mp3 players were cutting edge?
I remember getting the microwave. Of all the tech stuff, we got one first. My dad was a businessman, someone threw it in as a kickback. The neighbors came over to see it. My mom demonstrated melting cheese on bread many times. People we didn't even know very well came to see it. It was a big deal, lol.

Technology has done some great things for medicine and the military. It has given us some very cool doodads, too. I love my iPhone.

But a billion dollars for wristbands? No way. It's not a smart business move, spending that much money on things that aren't needed. They needed Internet in the rooms. They need wifi in the parks. That is stuff people want. They didn't need the rest of this.

Something is up here. I don't think it's dumb business or simply kickbacks. I don't know WHAT the deal IS, but something's up. I doubt we will ever know what it was.

scout68

Don't want to turn this into too much of a DVC tangent but on the other side your annual fees will continue to rise accoridngly. Obviously you are way ahead of rack rate but is the room you are receiving of equal value within the market. For example I could rent a week at Sheraton Vistana Villages down the road for less then that a night in a beautful 2 bedroom suite.

NoChesterHester

Not trying to be sarcastic, and this would do what for me?

I feel like I have to continually open with a disclaimer... I am not endorsing the program. I'm just starting to realize its real goal - its real business potential.

I'm not sure if you are an Apple user, but I have to use iTunes as an example because frankly - it is the best integrated digital delivery system available.

1. When you do a search for say “Pirates” in iTunes it returns a search interface across multiple product lines, but is so intuitive and well organized it never feels overwhelming. Quickly – up pops “Podcasts” – “Apps” – “Books” – “Movies”. It integrates all media types and the purchasing is done in one click and instantly delivered. It is quick, seamless and easy. Uncluttered.

2. All these things are not only instantly available – they are written in the native code for your device. The download is gratifying and it instantly improves your life. You wanted that song right now – BAM. Movie – BAM. Apple has also integrated hardware offerings and upgrades… so easy to spend money and you get a real value out of it.

So here is my Disney Example:

1. Lets say the entire Disney company is linked by one interface. As a user you would just open up the app on your smartphone or computer. The entire company meaning; feature films, home entertainment, consumer products, broadcast television, parks and resorts, and gaming.

2. The app is smart in that it understands already your context. So lets say you are in a theme park already. It knows your schedule and geo locates you based on your position. You just got off Pirates of the Caribbean, which you did have on your itinerary. When you open up the app to order your lunch on your way to the next place it has a well designed window at the bottom with Pirates T-shirts. Your kid is in the store and instantly gravitates to a shirt and you notice that there is a line fifteen deep at the register… besides – he isn’t going to wear it now and you don’t want to carry it. So in one click you order the shirt and the app asks you in one button (home delivery or to resort). To appease your son you click “to resort” and invisibly it gets put on a small local delivery truck that drops it off at your resort.

Far more convenient and intelligent than the system we have now.

3. Now let’s say at the end of the trip you are headed back to the airport on Magical Express and you log in. A Facebook style timeline now appears documenting your entire visit. You can expand each day and it shows your ride photos, photopass images, along with each place you went. Not only that if you now click on Pirates that same little context window at the bottom now has a link to the streaming digital movie of Pirates of the Caribbean, since your son just can’t get enough.

4. You get home and Pirates 5 is about to open in theaters. In a great interface the same Disney app doesn’t display park info, but rather it knows that you like media. Your handy Disney app already knows you have bought fifteen different pirates items and streamed all four movies. It contextually has the pirates movie tickets available at your local movie plex. When you click buy, it downloads to your iPhone’s passbook, and when you leave the theater it has a discount coupon for the digital download waiting for you.

None of it overbearing. None of it in your face. But oh so easy to use.

Now… the system to do all this would be unbelievably complex and expensive. Hmmm…

Tim_4

Maybe they're building a death star with McDonald's, Coke, Apple, ExxonMobil, the Republican Party, and the NSA. That's why Disney had to buy out Lucas. They needed the schematics for the battlestation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom