Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim_4

So... Thread Recap:

#1 - Nextgen Guest Tracking - Included... to what degree and level??? And why????
#2 - Nextgen Cost = expensive enough to delay other development. Why is Disney allowing it to keep ballooning without putting the stop to it?
#3 - Nextgen Deployment - lots o' problems... delayed... costing more and taking longer than anticipated.
#4 - Future Park Expansions - happening... but delayed per #2 above. This alone should get everyone on here pretty upset being a "news and rumors board" based on new stuff to do.

I'll let ya'll go round and round debating for another 100 pages and check back in to see if @WDW1974 or @Lee or @Tim_4 drops any more info.
Not really news but I find it interesting. It hints at what NextGen is all about and why it's so expensive. It's not about bands or Fastpass+. It's about a platform. Infrastructure. A network. It's Disney's iTunes, which was Apple's crown jewel even more than the iPod or iPhone. All that said, it has to work.

http://attractionsmagazine.com/blog...nd-new-toy-box-in-disney-infinity-video-game/

Joe

I'm only visiting this planet.
Premium Member
But do you also have the deed for park place? ;)

In short :

DVC - overpriced.

NextGen - doesn't work.

I had a better meal on South Street than any QSR food in Orlando.

Also, did I disappoint my Disney obsessed stalker by leaving town for a few days?

Dave, it may be overpriced now, but when I bought in I paid $55. a point. I could sell it tomorrow for almost twice what I paid for it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Just curious which post you are replying to? I saw you replied to "my" post about points....but....I did not write that post.

Not sure how my screen name is attached to a post I didn't write....but....

Sorry that was an editing error due to jumping around a bit. The post I was intending for you was the one linked above where you said no one was saying 3billion... I answered that as well

MattM

flynnibus

Premium Member
eh not bad I guess. That about 31-32 points. which will get you 2 nights at a studio during the week(except premier season). So that's $85/night plus the $2000 divided over 40 years ($50). So in essence you are paying about $135 a night to stay in a studio apartment. Major win...not really but it's okay.

And even more expensive.... A commit to visit a Disney property every year or two. But that's for another thread :)

NoChesterHester

Not really news but I find it interesting. It hints at what NextGen is all about and why it's so expensive. It's not about bands or Fastpass+. It's about a platform. Infrastructure. A network. It's Disney's iTunes, which was Apple's crown jewel even more than the iPod or iPhone. All that said, it has to work.

http://attractionsmagazine.com/blog...nd-new-toy-box-in-disney-infinity-video-game/

That is interesting. And it would make way more sense considering the development cost. Your Disney movie purchases, your vacations, your trinkets and souvenirs - all linked together in one platform... Disney's iTunes. One unifying interface to create a brand experience and more loyalty across all divisions of the largest global entertainment company.

nytimez

That is interesting. And it would make way more sense considering the development cost. Your Disney movie purchases, your vacations, your trinkets and souvenirs - all linked together in one platform... Disney's iTunes. One unifying interface to create a brand experience and more loyalty across all divisions of the largest global entertainment company.

The difference - the huge difference - is that was iTunes was responding to a pent-up and largely unmet demand.

Tim_4

One ring to rule them all...

Goofyernmost

The difference - the huge difference - is that was iTunes was responding to a pent-up and largely unmet demand.
To be honest, I have never really thought that Disney was doing this to satisfy any pent-up demand from their customers. They are doing this to accomplish a number of things. One is to be able to better keep an eye on what people are spending money on, what attractions are the most attractive to them, how to use peoples habits to get them to spend more money while they are there, etc. They also let their technology get old, like everything else having to do with the parks. They are now in a pickle. If they had done this systematically through the years, stayed current, they would already have been able to sneak this stuff in under the radar and at a considerably less output of money. But like everything else to do with the parks, it was always a "oh, we'll get around to it someday, no rush". Let's just count our profits and divide it up amongst ourselves instead of investing as we go along.

Then someone comes along and says, hey if we create a system ourselves, we have an avenue to maybe sell the system to other like industries thus being able to have a super updated system, be the first ones with it and by selling the system can make it so it will cost us almost nothing. Even with the problems, that can and I'll bet still will happen. IMPORTANT NOTICE: None of the preceding is solid factual information. Instead it is merely a theory that I hold, at the moment. Time will tell if I am all wet or not. Again...JUST MY THEORY!

NoChesterHester

Partially true. Apple created something we didn't even know we needed. They created the integrated digital market in a way linked by an ecosystem type interface. The demand tht existed was just unleashed.

Reactions: |Q|

luv

I wanted an iPod long before anyone had heard of them. I kept saying I had the songs in the computer, but it did me no good in my bedroom. I wanted to hear them all over the house. I wanted to take them with me in the car.

When they announced the iPod, it was the solution I'd been hoping someone would come up with!!!

Never once have I thought, "Gee, I wish Disney knew I was about to ride Maelstrom" or "Gosh, I'd much rather tap cards and have glowing circles than slide the card through the slot."

MattM

You are seeing the bigger picture here...

scout68

eh not bad I guess. That about 31-32 points. which will get you 2 nights at a studio during the week(except premier season). So that's $85/night plus the $2000 divided over 40 years ($50). So in essence you are paying about $135 a night to stay in a studio apartment. Major win...not really but it's okay.

Your figures assume the rack rate will stay stagnant. It will be interesting to see what a night costs in 2025. :eek:

MattM

I wanted an iPod long before anyone had heard of them. I kept saying I had the songs in the computer, but it did me no good in my bedroom. I wanted to hear them all over the house. I wanted to take them with me in the car.

When they announced the iPod, it was the solution I'd been hoping someone would come up with!!!

Never once have I thought, "Gee, I wish Disney knew I was about to ride Maelstrom" or "Gosh, I'd much rather tap cards and have glowing circles than slide the card through the slot."
Remember when we thought mere mp3 players were cutting edge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom