Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

alissafalco

Hope it's not on the 5th floor (or maybe it was 4th, but fairly certain it was 5th). Had a friend in tears after she had to change rooms 3 times. Ended up having to go to Wal-Mart for new clothes then shower and change down in the pool changing rooms.

That's awful! Where they compensated in any way? They better have footed the bill for all of their clothes.

fngoofy

After finally spending some time at Disneyland/DCA last year, I can definitely agree. The crowds there seemed much more laid back, much more "in tune" and appreciative of everything, patient... oh, and definitely classier.

WDW today is a recipe for a bad time for those who do not know what to expect. I think even if a first timer does lots of research, it can't really prepare them until they see it in action first-hand.

I agree, a first timer that doesn't do research is doomed. Even with research it is hard for the uninitiated to wrap their heads around just how big WDW is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down to the store, but that's just peanuts compared to WDW.

sweetpee_1993

Hope it's not on the 5th floor (or maybe it was 4th, but fairly certain it was 5th). Had a friend in tears after she had to change rooms 3 times. Ended up having to go to Wal-Mart for new clothes then shower and change down in the pool changing rooms.

I was hoping for a lower floor location before...now its a must. Will be sure to inspect the room before bringing any luggage in. Thanks for the heads-up. ;)

Tom Morrow

I found DL on my last visit to be full of what I presume were locals who felt like they owned the place.
I did see some of this, too, but you see it at WDW as well with Annual Passholders, off duty CM's, and such. I did at least get a sense that overall, the DLR crowds at least appreciate and understand everything a bit more than your typical WDW guest.

I definitely saw a lot less of:
- disgruntled parents pushing their entitled children around in huge strollers; strollers in general
- "too young to really appreciate it" kids in general
- as wdw1974 would say, "Honey Boo Boo families"
- massively overweight people in ECVs
- "Eurotrash"
- no South American tour groups to be found

I was honestly expecting essentially the same clientele at DLR as WDW, so I don't think the fact that I noticed this was some sort of confirmation bias influenced from looking forward to seeing the differences between DLR and WDW. It stood out to me without looking for it.
I agree, a first timer that doesn't do research is doomed. Even with research it is hard for the uninitiated to wrap their heads around just how big WDW is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down to the store, but that's just peanuts compared to WDW.
Yeah, and not just the size and scope, but things like the fact that if you do not fully utilize Fastpass, which requires some extra work and strategy, you will not get your money's worth and be able to ride as much. Many guests go several days into their first vacation before ever using Fastpass.

It really does require experience, and not just prior research, to get the full potential enjoyment out of your WDW vacation.

ratherbeinwdw

That's awful! Where they compensated in any way? They better have footed the bill for all of their clothes.
I'm sorry to say this is common in WDW, as it is all over the country. It's the main reason we quit staying at CBR several years ago. They will take all your belongings and heat treat them; ruining some of them. They usually send you to the giftshop for a change of clothes and pj's. You can read about it on reports on bedbugregistry. We always take all our clothes in space bags and hanging space bags. All dirty clothes goes straight into another space bag which we seal immediately. We leave everything in the garage, when we get home, and bring it in and wash it one bag at a time. I then vac and steam the luggage, shoes, purse etc. It's a lot of work, but so worth the piece of mind after reading about all the nightmares people go through if they bring them home. The fact that more than one room had them is enough that I would not stay there. They spread though apartment building so I'm sure they spread through the resorts.
It also shows a lack of good housekeeping. The mousekeepers should have seen them if they had spread so far.
As much as you pay for those rooms, you could at least expect the cm's to check every bed between guests. I remember that Kadini had a report on the registry fairly soon after it opened. They also have a bedbug sniffing dog. They should invest in them for every resort and have them check the rooms regularly.
Someone will surely say that they probably brought them from the plane. The fact they are in three rooms doesn't give that much credence. When we found them in our room, we had driven straight from home. My germophobia and bed bug phobia saved our trip. I always check the room very thoroughly before we bring in our luggage and we never use the drawers or sit the luggage on the floor or bedspread. I also take bedbug spray you can buy at Bed Bath & Beyond.
You must check the entire bed. I didn't find any in the corners of the mattress, but when I pulled back the spread, there was one on the bed. If I had not researched them before we went on that trip because of a show on America Now, I wouldn't have even known what the bug was. However, once you see one, you know exactly what they look like.
Your chances are very good you won't have them in your room, but it's worth the trouble to make sure.
If you read the reports, you will see that sometimes the people were helped while others were not. There are reports where people came back from a long day at the park and their room key wouldn't work. They were not allowed back into that room. So, at least if they do find them, they try to protect you from taking them home.
If everyone would become more vigilant, then maybe the country could stop the horrible spread of these little monsters.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I did see some of this, too, but you see it at WDW as well with Annual Passholders, off duty CM's, and such. I did at least get a sense that overall, the DLR crowds at least appreciate and understand everything a bit more than your typical WDW guest.

- disgruntled parents pushing their entitled children around in huge strollers; strollers in general
- "Eurotrash"

I was honestly expecting essentially the same clientele at DLR as WDW, so I don't think the fact that I noticed this was some sort of confirmation bias influenced from looking forward to seeing the differences between DLR and WDW. It stood out to me without looking for it.
Yeah, and not just the size and scope, but things like the fact that if you do not fully utilize Fastpass, which requires some extra work and strategy, you will not get your money's worth and be able to ride as much. Many guests go several days into their first vacation before ever using Fastpass.

It really does require experience, and not just prior research, to get the full potential enjoyment out of your WDW vacation.

It Does?????, Read a couple of books on the parks Passporter and Unofficial Guide will tell you everthing you need to know to enjoy your vacation,

it does however annoy me greatly you see so many 3+ y/o kids in strollers and people wonder why we have obesity issues in kids "The Virgin Feet Syndrome" i think is to blame here

Figments Friend

Been there, done that... but I cannot help remembering that, at the top, it is the same people that green lighted NGE that are ultimately in charge of DL. You can bet that if they are able to make something workable happen in WDW, it will be part of DLR sooner rather then later. They deny that right now, but ask yourself why the decided to enforce FP time there as well as Florida. The future is set, now all they need is action. It will take a while now, but it isn't out of the question long range. JMHO!

Indeed. Which is why i am suggesting you get yourself back there and enjoy it while you can.
:)

P.S. - Hope you enjoyed your visit ....your impressions...?

Tom Morrow

It Does?????, Read a couple of books on the parks Passporter and Unofficial Guide will tell you everthing you need to know to enjoy your vacation
I know, but for a first time visitor, they can research all they want, but it still doesn't compare to seeing and experiencing this stuff first hand. And then you get an adverse effect - a first time visitor does all the research and planning they can and then gets frustrated when the actual vacation does not play out the way they were planning on. Which, by the very nature of WDW and theme parks in general, will always happen.

Figments Friend

The locals would never allow FP+ to be implemented. They'll scream and hollar so much that Disney would have to abandon those plans (though I believe the Spirit has already said DLR won't get it).
Let us hope indeed that is the case.
I personally would like to think that the DL crowd would rally negatively against it as well....in fact, i hope that they do if this was ever even remotely suggested for the West Coast.

For a property like DL, the whole MM+/NGE initiative seems as though it would not be needed due to the typical Park goers.
In therory, the locals would not really need it, and visitors can pretty much do everything they want within a reasonable time there due to the scale and scope of the property.

Of course, the pencil-pushers may have all kinds of excuses as to why it should happen there....like increasing revenue, etc...
Let us indeed hope it never gets implemented!

Skibum1970

- "Eurotrash"

I agree with your post as I went to DL this year as well for the first time. The only other observation I would make is that DL seemed to have more teenagers who were unchaperoned. Might have just been the day that I was there. They weren't really misbehaving too much (a little line jumping) but definitely no parents in sight for a group of 20 kids.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I know, but for a first time visitor, they can research all they want, but it still doesn't compare to seeing and experiencing this stuff first hand. And then you get an adverse effect - a first time visitor does all the research and planning they can and then gets frustrated when the actual vacation does not play out the way they were planning on. Which, by the very nature of WDW and theme parks in general, will always happen.

The key to WDW is even if you stay there a month you cannot do or see everything and both the guides i mentioned both emphatically state if the kidlets want to ride Dumbo 10 times LET THEM. The key is creating happy memories. Last year saw an uber planner family right down to color coded laminated cards with schedules. This family especially the kids looked more miserable each time we saw them. They may have DONE everything but they probably enjoyed NOTHING.

Disney is best explored spontaneously, I liked FP as we could grab one for something special we wanted to do day of yes it meant getting into park early - not at rope drop but early perhaps an hour after rope drop to get the FP for say TSMM. Choosing parks has generally been a 'Day Of' thing since the DDP crowd has sucked the life out of ADR's Being DVC we eat in room a lot and now only get a few Disney meals because the preplaning is a hassle. ADR's should go back to 'Day Of' walk up or concierge

maxairmike

The key to WDW is even if you stay there a month you cannot do or see everything and both the guides i mentioned both emphatically state if the kidlets want to ride Dumbo 10 times LET THEM. The key is creating happy memories. Last year saw an uber planner family right down to color coded laminated cards with schedules. This family especially the kids looked more miserable each time we saw them. They may have DONE everything but they probably enjoyed NOTHING.

Disney is best explored spontaneously, I liked FP as we could grab one for something special we wanted to do day of yes it meant getting into park early - not at rope drop but early perhaps an hour after rope drop to get the FP for say TSMM. Choosing parks has generally been a 'Day Of' thing since the DDP crowd has sucked the life out of ADR's Being DVC we eat in room a lot and now only get a few Disney meals because the preplaning is a hassle. ADR's should go back to 'Day Of' walk up or concierge

The bolded is so true, and anyone that asks for advice on visiting WDW, the first thing I mention is to do away with the idea of "doing everything" because it is just flat out impossible to do so while still enjoying your time. I understand the urge, I've had to fight it on the trips I've done in the last year to other places (SoCal being one of them), and it will kill your enjoyment.

jensenrick

Part 2 – DLP!

Everyone in this thread who thinks it’s ridiculous that a product can decline so badly in 10-15 years time (and thinks it can never happen to WDW) needs to visit DLP. Sure it seems ridiculous that WDW would be left to rot so poorly that Disney would want to sell off the parks piece-by-piece to the highest bidder… But, that's kind of in the looming future right now for Euro Disney.

I think the bolded part cannot be reiterated enough. Also, your trip report just confirmed to me that I made the right decision to skip DLP on my vacation to Paris.

jensenrick

Star Wars expansion has absolutely moved to the head of development projects for both DL and WDW. DLR projects will be announced this fall. I am guessing so will WDW, but can't say for certain.

it does appear that Cars Land has moved from 'happening' to 'doubtful' in the swamps and ...oh, and in an ironic twist the expansion pad at HKDL that was set aside for Star Tours since opening will be getting an Avengers attraction using sim tech.

OMFG!! :mad: The "swamps" get the crappy end of the stick again! No Cars land, no Star Wars until it happens elsewhere first (and who knows when that will be) and still waiting to see if Avatur Land actually will open before I die of old age. :mad:
And yet I can still hear the plaintive cries of "Disney is gonna crush the competition any second now, when all the wonderful new stuff (with the special magic that no one else can do) comes along- any second now!" Yeah thanks, "dad," don't hold your breath.

Meanwhile I'll have to fly (someday) to Hong Kong to see an Avengers attraction. :arghh: But what's THIS??! A SIM TECH attraction?
Is this the dreaded Screens, :eek: despite how many dust snorters INSIST that that WDI is just chomping at the bit to Wow Us with Something Mindblowing In The Best Disney Tradition of Immersion and Epic Storytelling, and would never, ever stoop to SCREEns?:banghead:

Animaniac93-98

-Anyways, you get the gist. I had fun for sure, but it was a challenge to do so. The crowds weren’t great (worsened by ops), the park is amazing but on this terrible trajectory where all the magic is seeping away.

I had a much better experience than you earlier this year, but that's probably because crowds were light and lines were short (though as a result from unusually cold weather). I didn't notice the same problems with Small World (they were loading every boat), didn't have any issues waiting in line for food (though had trouble finding open places), didn't have the allegedly terrible service and generally had an good time. Peeling paint was too obvious in some places and effects were broken on rides, but nothing worse than WDW.

Though I didn't have your recent experiences of visiting the Asian parks or post-DCA 2.0 DLR (still under construction when I went). I guess going from a place that still thinks it's OK to have a tin foil volcano in Peter Pan's Flight to having a dragon in the castle was enough to wow me. DLP may not have much money to spend, but they don't waste it on electronic gizmos or bonehead creative moves ("let's remove all trees and curbs!") while show quality reamains spotty at best. And you don't even need to visit DLP to see something rot in a Disney park. You just need to see CoP. :(

Goofyernmost

Indeed. Which is why i am suggesting you get yourself back there and enjoy it while you can.
:)

P.S. - Hope you enjoyed your visit ....your impressions...?
I grew up watching Annette and the gang at The Mickey Mouse Club romping through Disneyland. I watched Uncle Walt introduce the Disneyland show and Wonderful World of Disney for years. I was scheduled to go to New Orleans and two weeks before my trip Katrina went through New Orleans cancelling my trip. It was 2005 and it was Disneylands 50th Anniversary, so I quickly shifted gears and went to Anaheim instead.

It was fun to go through the original park and see, although it was completely different in appearance then it was in 1955, the place where it all started. Except for size, I felt that it was pretty close to MK but more compact and a few more things to do. I noticed but didn't really care about some minor maintenance problems. I only noticed them because I had heard so many stories about how pristine the park was, but to my surprise it had a few flaws just like MK.

I spent a very short time in DCA, because, frankly there was little there for me to do. Soarin was just about all that appealed to me. I thought that there was an awful lot of Epcot, DHS and DAK in that park. Overall though, I did enjoy my trip. I suspect that since my home park was WDW I felt like a stranger in DL. To me, it was very much a locals park. There were as many groupings of locals, people that knew each other, as there are South American Tour Groups in WDW. Even though it wasn't extreme I couldn't help but feel out of place. I do not regret going, but I honestly have no strong feeling that I ever need to return. That, of course, may just be part of my overall lessened interest in Disney in general as it is anything specific.

BrianLo

I had a much better experience than you earlier this year, but that's probably because crowds were light and lines were short (though as a result from unusually cold weather).

For sure, a less hectic schedule and lighter crowds would have done wonders. Obviously I am high-lightening all the flaws because I want to see improvement. Nor did I have a "bad time", but when measured against the Asian parks it's easy to start becoming hyper critical.

Still DLP is > all the WDW parks in its current form, but I am afraid it is sliding faster and maybe (somewhat foolishly) think the future is brighter for WDW.

tirian

I found DL on my last visit to be full of what I presume were locals who felt like they owned the place.
I love DL, but have to admit that every visit does feel like this by 4:00 in the afternoon. Local parents use DL as a babysitting service where teens bring their siblings.

Honey Boo-Boos fill WDW during summer months and Spring Break, not year-round.

I don't find DL to be as superior to WDW as some claim. Californians themselves are generally classier than the Deep South in Florida; the park's management certainly isn't better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom