Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

fosse76

Is #2 really a problem in Disney's eyes? Seems to me like they already have the DVC'ers money and this way they get out of their end of the bargain and don't have to provide any services.
If you stay at WDW on points, Disney can get more money from out-of-room purchases (theme park tickets, theme park dining, souvenir sales, etc.). If you are staying at Aulani, Vero Beach or Hilton Head, Disney only makes money if you spend the entire trip on the property, which at least for Aulani is extremely unlikely. Which means most of your vacation budget isn't going to be in Disney's pocket.

awoogala

Glad to see Disney Infinity went off without a......whoops! Download your patch today! All of this hype and they could not deliver a basic (compared to other games and gaming consoles) game that is a blatant rip-off of another popular game franchise.
yeah, we waited months- don't need a patch for the wii, but my kids (one gamer, one not) were frustrated and angry with it within 10 minutes, and stopped playing it within an hour. That is very unusual in this house, where I usually have to tear them away from games.

WDWDad13

yeah, we waited months- don't need a patch for the wii, but my kids (one gamer, one not) were frustrated and angry with it within 10 minutes, and stopped playing it within an hour. That is very unusual in this house, where I usually have to tear them away from games.

Interesting...we have it on xbox so no patch for us either... my 4 year old (who has been able to complete the entire lego pirates of the Caribbean game lol) has already figured it out (with a little help from mom and dad reading menus) and loves Disney Infinity...especially the interchangeable characters

DocMcHulk

Problem #2 with DVCers: many are opting to NOT even use the points at WDW at all.
I've had this conversation with a few people. They always mention "but the points can be used other places". So my argument back is, then why not just buy a time share with a company that has a location near/next to WDW? You get almost the same perks minus the "magical" express and onsite transportation.

$$ for offsite Timeshare + car rental < DVC

WDWDad13

I've had this conversation with a few people. They always mention "but the points can be used other places". So my argument back is, then why not just buy a time share with a company that has a location near/next to WDW? You get almost the same perks minus the "magical" express and onsite transportation.

well I have to agree some on that... while there are many attractive timeshares outside of and near WDW... we like the annual pass discount for sure and I really don't like the "set week" many timeshares do elsewhere

also it's worth noting I know several people who have RCI timeshares at other locations and can get in to stay at Old Key West or Saratoga Springs at times as well... so some on the inside are looking outside while some on the outside are looking inside. I guess it evens out?

GoofGoof

Premium Member

The resale market is probably the #1 reason for a lot of people. A lot of non-Disney timeshares are given away or sold for pennies on the dollar when owners want to get out. If you buy in you better be sure you want to own it for a long time. DVC has a very strong resale market. If your situation changes and you need to unload you won't get killed with DVC.

71jason

The resale market is probably the #1 reason for a lot of people. A lot of non-Disney timeshares are given away or sold for pennies on the dollar when owners want to get out. If you buy in you better be sure you want to own it for a long time. DVC has a very strong resale market. If your situation changes and you need to unload you won't get killed with DVC.

Agreed resale market is better with DVC than a lot of local options. Also, there's the general shadiness of the time share industry around Orlando.

Honestly I don't know why anyone would commit to either when DVC points can be rented so cheaply--other than some nebulous desire to "own part of the magic" (even tho you own nothing, and the magic couldn't keep an entire floor of Kidani Village from being infested with bedbugs).

Funmeister

trust me... they are NOT getting "free" food... in fact more resorts than ever were excluded from this meaning they were already full or near it and didn't need a discount offered. Also, there are more blackout dates than before

Ex. Offer excludes Villas at Grand Floridian, Port Orleans – French Quarter Resort, Art of Animation Resort, All-Star Movies Resort, Ft. Wilderness campsites and 3-bedroom villas

check in between 9/29/13 – 10/2/13, 10/18/13 – 11/2/13, 11/11/13 – 11/23/13 or 12/12/13 – 12/22/13

it all depends on how you look at it...

Are they giving ANY sort of discount to ANY guest? Then they are giving away free food. lol

MattM

If you can't see what Disney is doing right and doing wrong and discuss it honestly...then you should listen to this song, as it is your theme song...

Disney is moving towards very lazy management, very poor quality, and maximized profits...they are making several boardroom "good" decisions, that really do nothing for the parks or the Guest Experience...

So, here is your theme song...

This is to all the haters who think Disney stinks (it doesn't), but also to those wise enough, who love the brand and concept enough...to see that it is not what it was...

Cheers.

Do not ruin a good thing by bringing it into this thread. ;)

Great song.

willtravel

Agreed resale market is better with DVC than a lot of local options. Also, there's the general shadiness of the time share industry around Orlando.

Honestly I don't know why anyone would commit to either when DVC points can be rented so cheaply--other than some nebulous desire to "own part of the magic" (even tho you own nothing, and the magic couldn't keep an entire floor of Kidani Village from being infested with bedbugs).
Huh? Seriously?

sweetpee_1993

More info, please. I'm staying in a studio at Kidani in under a month.

djlaosc

I love Toon Lagoon. It's funny. i like being in the comics. Kids today (even many parents of young kids, I think) have no idea who Hagar was, etc. So, if they have to re-do it, then they do.

I wouldn't mourn it like I do Jaws.

I wouldn't mind if Toon Lagoon had a WWOHP-esque makeover where they kept the attractions and just changed the theme, but if they did change the theme, then it would be good if they could keep the photo locations (like the speech bubbles and Marmaduke) somewhere (guess it would either have to be in KidZone, somewhere in CityWalk, or in the space between the carpark and CityWalk)

Bolna

Agreed.
It was more "I want a band! I want to be special, too!" And not so much wanting to experience MM+.

Another thought - this kind of behaviour might also be a sign as to how stressful a Disney vacation is for many people. That's why as soon as they see something that might make their life easier, they really want to have it.

It always amazes me how many unhappy people you can see at WDW - the only other Disney park I have enough experience with is DLP and I find that people there generally look more relaxed and less stressed about their vacation than at WDW.

And to a certain extent, WDW for a first timer (or infrequent visitor) has become a place that requires a lot of planning. If you pay a lot of money to stay on property you feel like you need to get the best value out of all the money you spent on this vacation. That adds pressure. And I do believe that some of the intent behind MM+ is actually to help these people. I am just afraid that by adding another level of required pre-planning is something that will only add another level of uncertainty and stress, just as with the ADRs

It would be nice if we could go back to the days when the parks could be explored totally spontaneously. But I think this will never return. You see what happens with regard to a restaurant not taking reservations but being in very high demand (because it is considered to be the place you HAVE to dine at) when you look at those lines for lunch at BoG. If they would get rid of ADRs, I am sure we would see similar lines at some of the other popular restaurants, too.

Tom Morrow

It always amazes me how many unhappy people you can see at WDW - the only other Disney park I have enough experience with is DLP and I find that people there generally look more relaxed and less stressed about their vacation than at WDW.
After finally spending some time at Disneyland/DCA last year, I can definitely agree. The crowds there seemed much more laid back, much more "in tune" and appreciative of everything, patient... oh, and definitely classier.

WDW today is a recipe for a bad time for those who do not know what to expect. I think even if a first timer does lots of research, it can't really prepare them until they see it in action first-hand.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
After finally spending some time at Disneyland/DCA last year, I can definitely agree. The crowds there seemed much more laid back, much more "in tune" and appreciative of everything, patient... oh, and definitely classier.

WDW today is a recipe for a bad time for those who do not know what to expect. I think even if a first timer does lots of research, it can't really prepare them until they see it in action first-hand.
I found DL on my last visit to be full of what I presume were locals who felt like they owned the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom