Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirLink

Idols been on borrowed time for a while now. They just can't have such a prominent building empty, next to another empty building. In a park with lots of empty buildings.

Well it would be better to hold the Comedy Club Warehouse Holiday Special there than at Sounds Dangerous where they could have Christmas specials played on a loop.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Hard to say for sure, since we don't know all the details yet. But really, we tend to visit when you guys don't :) Fastpasses aren't usually necessary, except for the big rides (think SM, Soarin, Toy Story, etc). Having said that, I could see it being a possible hindrance. If it does, then we go to the other parks more often, and less often to Disney.

I can see myself using it for the 4 or 5 headliners with standard waits around an hour or more (if I can get them), but probably skipping fastpass for other rides unless I can get them on the day of. I like to plan ahead, but even I have my limits.

Nubs70

A thought on the meaning of COULD, Will Happen and Maybe:

I am a Chemical Engineer with a serious leaning towards R&D. I have lived in the world of COULD for my entire life. I was the child that tore apart the toaster to see how it worked. At age 8, I destroyed my parents refrigerator while trying to freeze turpentine (destroyed by odor not flame). How has Could affected me?

As a requirement for my undergrad, I needed to complete a thesis project. This time coincided with the ending of Gulf War 1. Remember all the infrared gun cam video that was being played on nightly news, etc?

My project gravitated to finding a method that COULD differentiate particles both in chemical composition and size distribution. I asked myself, "What could be a means to capture an image that would satisfy my 2 needs?". This is where the IR gun cam video comes into play. If IR video can capture the thermal image of an iron bomb traveling at high velocity from hundreds of meters away, then IR video could capture an image of a particle greater that 40 micron at very close distance.

Armed with this concept, I approached many PhD ChemE's with my concept, goals, and what could be possible. The unanimous response was this could not and would not work. Driven by the concept of WILL HAPPEN, I continued the pursuit of my goal by refining my hypothesis based on open sourced secondary research and applying the findings to my goal. Keep in mind WILL HAPPEN was always tempered with a respect for MAYBE I was wrong. After much secondary research, I developed a trial plan in preparation for primary research. After only 3 hours of primary research, it was proven that what I thought COULD happen was, in fact, WILL HAPPEN.

After writing and presenting the thesis, my findings were published and the university submitted and funded the patenting of the work (for which I was awarded 2 US patents). This work is also cited by the USAF in the detection of micro fatigue in airframes.

COULD is the basis for invention, driven by WILL HAPPEN but tempered with possibility it MAYBE not be true.

Kuhio

Idols been on borrowed time for a while now. They just can't have such a prominent building empty, next to another empty building. In a park with lots of empty buildings.

TDO could always go the cheap and easy route of just theming the park to empty buildings.

All they would need to do is come up with an elaborate, Disney Springs-like backstory to justify the theme, and then propagate it on the official Parks Blog:

In the early 1920s, Howard Wood Studios was an industry leader, much beloved for its memorable silent movies. Then, just as the Studios prepared to take an ambitious leap into the realm of talking films, the Great Depression hit. Now, all that remains of this once-proud moviemaking icon are row after row of empty buildings...

Add a couple of fake dandelions growing up through cracks in the sidewalk... maybe a part-time Streetmosphere CM in a tattered business suit, attempting pathetically to sell a box of shriveled apples, and voila!

A substantial portion of the fanbase would eat that stuff right up... because, well, it's themed...

RSoxNo1

Mars Rover
Launch Vehicle: Atlas V 541
Launch Site: Launch Complex 41, Cape Canaveral Air Force station, Fla.
NASA Center: Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Spacecraft Mass: 8,463 pounds (3,893 kilograms) total at launch, consisting of 1,982-pound (899-kilogram) rover; 5,293-pound (2,401-kilogram) entry, descent and land- ing system (aeroshell plus fueled descent stage); and 1,188-pound (539-kilogram) fueled cruise stage
Spacecraft Instruments: 65 pounds (75 kilograms) in 10 instruments: Alpha Particle X-ray Spectrometer, Chemistry and Camera, Chemistry and Mineralogy, Dynamic Albedo of Neutrons, Mars Descent Imager, Mars Hand Lens Imager, Mast Camera, Radiation Assessment Detector, rover environmental Monitoring station, and sample Analysis at Mars
Spacecraft Dimensions: Rover dimensions: Length: 9 feet, 10 inches (3.0 meters) (not counting arm); width: 9 feet, 1 inch (2.8 meters); height at top of mast: 7 feet (2.1 meters); arm length: 7 feet (2.1 meters); wheel diameter: 20 inches (0.5 meter)
Spacecraft Power: Multi-mission radioisotope thermoelec- tric generator and lithium-ion batteries
Total Cost: $2.5 billion, including $1.8 billlion for spacecraft development and science investigations and additional amounts for launch and operations.
References:
Mars Science Laboratory, NASA Facts, October 2011
Mars Science Laboratory Launch Press Kit, November 2011

Oh Disney, where has all the money gone?
So you're saying the money spent on Next Gen, when combined with the money spent on Mission: SPACE is capable of actually sending us to Mars? Would Gary Sinise actually be there?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
TDO could always go the cheap and easy route of just theming the park to empty buildings.

All they would need to do is come up with an elaborate, Disney Springs-like backstory to justify the theme, and then propagate it on the official Parks Blog:

In the early 1920s, Howard Wood Studios was an industry leader, much beloved for its memorable silent movies. Then, just as the Studios prepared to take an ambitious leap into the realm of talking films, the Great Depression hit. Now, all that remains of this once-proud moviemaking icon are row after row of empty buildings...

Add a couple of fake dandelions growing up through cracks in the sidewalk... maybe a part-time Streetmosphere CM in a tattered business suit, attempting pathetically to sell a box of shriveled apples, and voila!

A substantial portion of the fanbase would eat that stuff right up... because, well, it's themed...
I think I would actually prefer an empty building over American Idol. Would the cracks in the sidewalk be fake as well or just the dandelions? Would I be able to use a snack credit on DDP for a shriveled apple? I'm all about the details:)

Kuhio

I think I would actually prefer an empty building over American Idol. Would the cracks in the sidewalk be fake as well or just the dandelions? Would I be able to use a snack credit on DDP for a shriveled apple? I'm all about the details:)

Actually, a shriveled apple would be as good as, if not better than, most of the snack options currently available at DHS... :depressed:

RSoxNo1

I think Disney needs more transparency about what data theyre capturing, why theyre doing it for why there suddenly partnering with a CIA contractor.

These are questions that need to be asked because Disney - for good or for bad - they've reached a level of public trust in our society and as a society, we dont expect that trust to be violated.
And if it is perceived to be violated, whether true or not it could be crippling to the company.

MattM

I can see myself using it for the 4 or 5 headliners with standard waits around an hour or more (if I can get them), but probably skipping fastpass for other rides unless I can get them on the day of. I like to plan ahead, but even I have my limits.
Yea, it's a whole different game for us. We may head to Epcot just before it closes and get in line for soarin while everyone else watches fireworks. We've literally walked right on before, even though it was in January which is a dead time. On the other hand, I don't think we've been on Toy Story in close to a year.

At the end of the day though, we do what the little ones want to do. I know we all remember the glory days of WDW and wish they'd return. But at this point in my life, the time spent with them is all that matters. (See, I am not the monster i get the rap for around here:))

PhotoDave219

And if it is perceived to be violated, whether true or not it could be crippling to the company.

That is the biggest reason of all as to why they need to be transparent about what they are doing.

The appearance of impropriety is often far worse than actual improprieties themselves.

RSoxNo1

Yes, that's selling point of MM+. More FPs than ever before. But that's because Disney is adding it to virtually everything including parade viewing and meet and greets. Getting FP for anything truly worthwhile is another matter, but for the Aladdin spinner or Fantasmic or meeting Daisy at EPCOT, those may well be available day of.
Here's a question... Will the addition of Fastpass on rides like Spaceship Earth somehow make it that the Fastpass line for some attractions exceeds the former Standby lines for the same attraction? Depending on how the "Fast Picks" work, I could see this happening.

nytimez

Here's a question... Will the addition of Fastpass on rides like Spaceship Earth somehow make it that the Fastpass line for some attractions exceeds the former Standby lines for the same attraction? Depending on how the "Fast Picks" work, I could see this happening.

I think part of the problem is they're trying to create demand for rides and attractions where there is generally little to no demand. And no matter how hard they try, I don't think it's going to work - even if people book these rides in advance, there's no guarantee they'll actually use them.

It's like all the "surprise Fastpass" for Mickey's Philharmagic you always find laying all over the ground around the Pooh FP machines.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
I see folks standing in crowds around the FPP queue area waiting for their time, potentially blocking the standby line. I see people walking by them and onto the ride as a real possibility...

*1023*

Clamman73

I missed this--what did Rohde say about Disco Yeti? Apologies if this has been covered thoroughly and I missed it.

He said...and I'm paraphrasing...

"We choose to fix the Yeti. We choose to fix the Yeti in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom