Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazyboy97o

This is the thing that bothers me. They signed off on this not truly understanding the implications. The thing that ticks me off the most is that they make these decisions without actually understanding what their product is, why it has been successful and how much it means to a great many people. Call me picky but I want the people who make long term-decisions to understand and care passionately about the things they are responsible for and how they work. Having finance and IT guys attempt to manage a Theme Park is just asking for trouble.
Unfortunately this is one of the big ways that, even early on, Eisner screwed up. He believed a good manager was a good manager, and this ultimately led to people from outside the theme park business being brought in to the theme parks. The mall mentality that was sealed in place by Paul Pressler remains to this very day (even at the Disneyland Resort where have just aimed for nicer mall). This is why all of these data point are also of interest, because its about guest spending and not the experiences that people are buying and cannot qualitatively define.

And during that shift, when costs were being cut, the competition and technology caught up with Disney. Some aspects of MyMagic+ are a sort of given, such as moving to RFID on the Key to Kingdom cards. Even the MagicBands are not entirely new, but they needed more when small, family owned parks such as HolidayWorld have wristbands for payment (and don't worry about it working for parking, drinks or sunscreen as those are all free).

RyenDeckard

But, no, that doesn't mean I am going to stop visiting their parks or resorts. I have an issue with management and management always gets replaced. Just a matter of time.

Despite the justified complaining you do about the resort, this attitude just encourages them to do the same thing you're complaining about. If people are complaining about a product, hate what a product is doing, and hate how that product is evolving, but continue to support the product that just shows management that everything is OK.

I love the resort, I love the parks or what they stood for, but I won't be returning to WDW until they give me a reason to return.

HMF

Unfortunately this is one of the big ways that, even early on, Eisner screwed up. He believed a good manager was a good manager, and this ultimately led to people from outside the theme park business being brought in to the theme parks. The mall mentality that was sealed in place by Paul Pressler remains to this very day (even at the Disneyland Resort where have just aimed for nicer mall). This is why all of these data point are also of interest, because its about guest spending and not the experiences that people are buying and cannot qualitatively define.
It's just crazy, I firmly believe there needs to be a balance between art and commerce and the commerce should support the art not try to undermine it. In the 20th Century, Finance and marketing were seen as a means to an end,. In the 21st Century society the Artists have been made to serve the finance and marketing people. Money is no longer the means but the end. You can't drink money, you can't eat money, Money is just a tool. A tool is something to be used to create, without creativity a tool is useless.

PhotoDave219

I don't think anyone reasonably expects agreement. Some people take an opposing view here and make a case and have their own insight that they bring to the table.

That's fine.

Others seem to have no intelligent contribution - just "nyah nyah nyah, can't be true, you're all sheep, I'm here to say it's BS" etc.

That's not a discussion. That's just infantile.

It this amount of immature trolling that goes on during these discussions, it's amazing how three or four people only feel like their comments are not being taken seriously.

Of course, they're the ones making absurd analogies and arguing for the same of arguing. So of course they're being marganlized, mostly because they have no facts to debate. All they can do is try to change the subject.

HMF

Despite the justified complaining you do about the resort, this attitude just encourages them to do the same thing you're complaining about. If people are complaining about a product, hate what a product is doing, and hate how that product is evolving, but continue to support the product that just shows management that everything is OK.

I love the resort, I love the parks or what they stood for, but I won't be returning to WDW until they give me a reason to return.
After this Fall I will not be returning to WDW until I see significant change in the company and I am a every few years visitor but I have not been there since Midway Mania was brand new. I am going in the Fall because it was already planned ahead of time but after that. I see no reason to return until there is significant change and this is coming from someone who used to cry at the end of a WDW vacation so having to do this is difficult but WDW has been slowly declining and is becoming less and less the place I fell in love with and what they are doing with NGE I object to morally so I have to do this even though it's painful.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Is that Brazil pavillion still a possibility or extremely unlikely at this point? One thing that has bothered me for 20 years now is Disney's refusal to add pavilions to Epcot which I thought would always have new pavillions added over the years.
Disneys refusal to pay for new pavilions.

As an aside, as it stands expect DHS closings to begin early in the new year.

MattM

I don't think anyone reasonably expects agreement. Some people take an opposing view here and make a case and have their own insight that they bring to the table.

That's fine.

Others seem to have no intelligent contribution - just "nyah nyah nyah, can't be true, you're all sheep, I'm here to say it's BS" etc.

While the idea of you judging what is infantile is laughable, it's your opinion. You are entitled to it.

If all you've for from my responses and others is "nyah, nyah

MattM

That's fine.

While the idea of you judging what is infantile is laughable, it's your opinion. You are entitled to it.

If all you've for from my responses and others is "nyah, nyah, Nyah" then we have to consider that the counterpoints that have been made are above your level of understanding. That's okay. When @flynnibus starts dropping tech lingo, I have no idea what he's saying. But like they say, "better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you a fool, than open it and remove all doubt." That's good advice.

P.S. - our resident know it all who didn't have time to educate an earlier poster has been active posting and "liking" all yesterday. Guess that kinda made my point.

Happy Saturday! Get outside and enjoy it!

MattM

Thank god we have PhotoDave here to tell us all what to think and let us know who is who... I was really starting to get exhausted with all this independent thinking.
Exactly! Especially nice of him to drop in when he is just too busy to educate us and provide his infinite wisdom on literally every single topic there's ever been. Probably too busy on twitter. Spends a lot of time there for someone with little time. To each their own.

Nemo14

P.S. - our resident know it all who didn't have time to educate an earlier poster has been active posting and "liking" all yesterday. Guess that kinda made my point.

Happy Saturday! Get outside and enjoy it!

Not that i really feel a need to respond to your nonsense, but according to '74's profile, he responded on this thread once yesterday afternoon; prior to that he "liked" a post at 2:05 AM, which I would consider the "night before". Seems like we have 2 very different opinions of what constitutes "all yesterday".

Longhairbear

Exactly! Especially nice of him to drop in when he is just too busy to educate us and provide his infinite wisdom on literally every single topic there's ever been. Probably too busy on twitter. Spends a lot of time there for someone with little time. To each their own.
May I direct you to Miceage out of California, mostly Disneyland oriented. However, their most recent podcast seems to dovetail exactly what '74 has been preaching all along.
I'm so hoping that you say something so far out, uninformed and insulting that I get to put you on ignore.

asianway

After this Fall I will not be returning to WDW until I see significant change in the company and I am a every few years visitor but I have not been there since Midway Mania was brand new. I am going in the Fall because it was already planned ahead of time but after that. I see no reason to return until there is significant change and this is coming from someone who used to cry at the end of a WDW vacation so having to do this is difficult but WDW has been slowly declining and is becoming less and less the place I fell in love with and what they are doing with NGE I object to morally so I have to do this even though it's painful.
There's no point to return when thankfully there are still well run business units in Parks & Resorts

SJFPKT

I orginally was reading this thread because I was curious about the technology that is going in to NGE and its security. I am not scared of it because it happens everyday, just wanting to see what Disney was doing. I was also reading this thread because I am curious as to what Disney is doing to combat UNI and their ever growing Orlando presence. (Which appears to be nothing) Now this thread is like a tabloid and a:

train-wreck.jpg

and I just can't seem to turn away

MattM

Not that i really feel a need to respond to your nonsense, but according to '74's profile, he responded on this thread once yesterday afternoon; prior to that he "liked" a post at 2:05 AM, which I would consider the "night before". Seems like we have 2 very different opinions of what constitutes "all yesterday".
I'm glad you responded to my nonsense in which you didn't feel the need to respond. But I wasn't talking about 74.

Thanks for playing though.

MattM

May I direct you to Miceage out of California, mostly Disneyland oriented. However, their most recent podcast seems to dovetail exactly what '74 has been preaching all along.
I'm so hoping that you say something so far out, uninformed and insulting that I get to put you on ignore.
Again, read the post that I quoted and who he was referencing.

It wasn't 74.

So just pretend that I insulted you, since you couldn't follow what I was saying anyway.

If you ignore me, I won't have to respond to your posts that aren't even relevant to what I was saying :)

MattM

@MattM, I would recommend the trip report section. This thread is what it is. No use getting upset over it or frustrated waiting for a response from 74. I'm not trying to be a smart saying this, I'm serious. There is a lot more to WDWMagic than just the Spirited threads.
It's ok, I'm not really waiting for a response. Trip reports don't really help me, we're locals, and rarely do more than long weekends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom