Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I was watching my wife do the cheat for candy crush to get unlimited lives and it made me think/laugh. Candy crush gets frustrating when you have to wait for more lives, so people figured out a way to cheat the system. I even saw apps that allow you to get the boosters for free that normally cost money. People will figure out a way to cheat the MM+ system when they get frustrated as well. I play XBOX Live and have friends who have had their account hacked and all their info stolen, and Microsoft (who owns Xbox) couldnt do ANYTHING about it. Microsoft said the hackers cant be tracked and once the damage is done you just have to start a new account. They couldnt even get one of my friends screen name back. WOW. That is Microsoft saying this. Thats a major player in the computer field and they cant do much about the hackers.
It has become so rampant that they have basically given up trying to stop it and now they require you to give up more personnel info for "security" reasons yet people still get hacked every day.

Whether its candy crush, xbox, or NGE, people/hackers ALWAYS find a way to cheat the computer systems because the systems are so massive they are very vulnerable. If a huge company like Microsoft cant protect their own system, what will Disney be able to do? There are things the hackers will do that we havent even considered yet. Either a CM using it to be a creeping perv or an experienced hacker stealing info for whatever reason, it WILL happen. Disney's gonna have to spend soooo much money on damage control that the price of NGE will always grow. Some hackers just screw with the system because they can, they dont even care about stealing info, they just want to screw with it. Families will have their whole trip wiped out with the stroke of a key and then have to re-plan everything while they stand at guest relations. Magical!

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Some of the people here and their concerns are laughable. It's almost as if you're all new to the internet and some of this stuff can all of a sudden be traced only now because of Disney. I would be more concerned about my dopey teenagers being on Facebook and instragram and kik than worrying about some mouthbreathing CM from Ohio community college taking time from rearranging his strollers to devise some master plan to swindle guests from millions of dollars in his neon colored african garb.
I love the notion here that Disney is the only place where credit card fraud could possibly happen. As if it is something that doesn't exist now.
Then I would say check your daughters Facebook account and posts. I bet they are giving away their location all the time
To a professional thief, MM+ is no better or worse than existing systems. Just different.

A determined thief will be able to hack any system designed for millions in a shockingly brief amount of time.

Just to clarify some points:
1) There is information being compiled and stored in this system that is currently not available or stored by Disney so to say that the same issues exist today without the magic bands is not true. The info that is available today doesn't currently pop up on an iPad carried by cast members.
2) We were talking about physical harm, stalking or petty theft not credit card or identity theft with this system - 2 completely different issues, but anyway it is still completely irrelevant that there are other ways for hackers to get your personal information on the Internet or anywhere else. That's a pretty poor rationalization IMHO. So its OK for Disney to do whatever they want because you could scammed somewhere else? Is it OK to pickpocket or mug someone since its possible their house could get robbed anyway by someone else?
3) People have the free choice to share as much or as little as they want on Facebook or through other means. I also think its a poor rationalization that its OK for Disney to provide every detail of my vacation to random CMs because some people share that info on Facebook anyway. It's another example of people accepting this because its possible some of that info could be found another way. Before anyone replies and says the system is optional, it's not really. I cannot get the same experience by opting out so that is not a valid argument.
4) Why is it laughable that people don't want to share their personal plans with strangers? If you choose to broadcast every aspect of your life on Facebook or Twitter or something like that go for it, but that's not a reason to say its laughable that others prefer more privacy.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Well, with the handsome compensation packages they offer CM's, they have their pick of the litter of potential hires :eek:.

Even discounting the CM's.... how secure is this system? If people can see (and change!) other peoples reservations on them due to glitches, how secure is the info from hackers?

And how 'good' will it keep track of people? Will it have actual guest triangulation?

Maybe 74 or one of our techie friends can elaborate more on your question. Based on 74s post it seems like the CM iPads will have guest profile information, but he didn't mention anything about CMs seeing real time info or being able to use the system to actually track a guest. I'm sure the system could be setup to allow that, but it would serve no practical purpose so I can't see why they would make it available to anyone other than security.

WDW1974

Original Poster
A few other odds and ends about NGE before I get back to business.

This 'test' has been a huge disaster for many (most?) involved. An insider told me that Disney doesn't get that the vast majority of guests are not uber-planners and just like many folks still don't get FP in 2013, these people are arriving having ignored all the test emails and with very little planned out resulting in LONG sessions at the front desk where My Disney Experience CMs are walking them thru things on their smartphones or tablets.

Disney is handing out hotel upgrades, gift cards and swag to make up for the disasters.

Disney can't seem to solve issues, even months down the line. Remember I told you months ago about the folks who were accessing other people's profiles and that Disney was paying them off with gift cards? Well, one kind spirit who wound up with one of them months ago reported that she was mailed a 40% off Bounceback offer, only problem was it came with someone else's name on it.

People who like it, invariably, are talking up the 'extra' Fastpasses they are getting. Disney CMs aren't really explaining that when the system goes live that they will ONLY be getting 3-4 a day at one park, booked in advance. If I had a 4 FP advantage before I arrived for every day of my stay, I might just be predisposed to liking it more than I would if I knew/understood the way it was going to work. Who wouldn't like having four FPs booked for MK after they just used four at the Studios in the morning?

And let's not forget or fail to point out that The Weatherman blatantly lied to a member of Congress when he said that people wouldn't be punished for not opting in,they wouldn't have a diminished product/experience.

Well, someone who shows up and buys a one day ticket will suddenly be transported to an alternate kingdom where one has no access to FP+ experiences and gets to wait in artificially long lines.

OK, you want some good news? Not for WDW, naturally. And this was quietly announced last week in the D23 buildup, but the plans to extort Christmas from DLR guests have been put on ice at least for this year. Let's hope that decision is a permanent one and only the MK subjects guests to an extra charge to experience Christmas.

MattM

Who says that Disney is the only place where this could happen? Maybe the people who are concerned are already taking measures to prevent security breaches in all kind of other aspects of their lives and therefore don't appreciate it that Disney makes it more difficult for them to secure their private information? And this is a Disney forum, so it would be very off topic to discuss the lack of security in any other kind of business.
Maybe so.

WDWDad13

Just to clarify some points:

3) People have the free choice to share as much or as little as they want on Facebook or through other means. I also think its a poor rationalization that its OK for Disney to provide every detail of my vacation to random CMs because some people share that info on Facebook anyway. It's another example of people accepting this because its possible some of that info could be found another way. Before anyone replies and says the system is optional, it's not really. I cannot get the same experience by opting out so that is not a valid argument.

so Disney employees/cast members in certain roles may be able to see our data about our vacation WHILE WERE ARE IN THEIR PARKS....I'm ok with that...I seriously doubt the loader at Dumbo,the trash collector along main street, and peter pan in the day parade will all be carrying iPads as they do their job so let's get reasonable

the system IS optional...you site that you can't get the same experience if you don't opt in... well in reality isn't that the case for ANYTHING optional? lol ...and sure that's a valid argument... fastpasses are optional today, using their app is optional, dining reservations are optional, viewing the parades or riding tower of terror is optional too.... so is going to universal or sea world but feel free to check those out (until they themselves implement something like this down the road).

Last edited:

WDWDad13

I would love to see proof of where it says or shows anyone saying that every cm will have your credit card number!

this gets better by the day doesn't it? lol - as I mentioned in another post this is like that old rumor in high school that once it got around to you was completely different and way worse than the truth

GoofGoof

Premium Member
so Disney employees/cast members in certain roles may be able to see our data about our vacation WHILE WERE ARE IN THEIR PARKS....I'm ok with that...I seriously doubt the loader at Dumbo,the trash collector along main street, and peter pan in the day parade will all be carrying iPads as they do their job so let's get reasonable

the system IS optional...you site that you can't get the same experience if you don't opt in... well in reality isn't that the case for ANYTHING optional? lol ...and sure that's a valid argument... fastpasses are optional today, using their app is optional, dining reservations are optional, viewing the parades or riding tower of terror is optional too.... so is going to universal or sea world but feel free to check those out (until they themselves implement something like this down the road).

As far as who has the iPads, we've been through this already. Nobody knows for sure, but it will likely be many. If 1 waiter has one that's one person too many.

On your second point, Sea World and Universal are completely irrelevant. We are talking about my experience at WDW. I also don't want to use the standby lines and eat at counter service restaurants because all of the good places are booked up with ADRs. FP is a perk and a benefit that isn't going to be available if I opt out. So my experience will not be the same.

alphac2005

It's very rare to see any of the 3D shows full. They just don't have the pull.

I know that the whole 3D movies at the local movie theater theory has been thrown around here a lot as to why they aren't busy, but they haven't been for a long time. Disney oversaturated the parks with 3D movies long ago.

WDWDad13

As far as who has the iPads, we've been through this already. Nobody knows for sure, but it will likely be many. If 1 waiter has one that's one person too many.

On your second point, Sea World and Universal are completely irrelevant. We are talking about my experience at WDW. I also don't want to use the standby lines and eat at counter service restaurants because all of the good places are booked up with ADRs. FP is a perk and a benefit that isn't going to be available if I opt out. So my experience will not be the same.

So let's say your waiter/waitress DOES have an iPad... do you really think he or she will be spending time looking through all your personal information while at your table? What if they see that it's your anniversary or birthday and give you something special, or see you are from their home state or country and strike up a conversation on that, or what if they see you are staying off property and give you a discount code to book your next trip on site, or what if they see it's your last day and give you a free dessert just because

Brian Noble

Only if you have the specific skill set that fills the employers needs.
That's the point of training them---to give them those skill sets! I like to think we do a pretty good job of it, and the statistics that our career center collect seem to bear that out.

aristo_cat

Yeah, I'm not a fan of being tagged and tracked like a rare species of bird!

I get why Disney is doing all of this technology integration and I can even appreciate it. In many instances, these changes will enhance our participation experience. And after all, Walt's ultimate dream was a technologically advanced world society. But Walt's vision originated in a far more innocent time (well, minus the Cold War) and these days people use--or misuse and abuse--technology readily and with malice intent.

I don't know if CM's will indeed have so much access to guests' personal information. I would like to think that is an overly-imagined take on what is going on in the Disney changes. But if there was the slightest possibility that the CM in Morocco was being the slightest bit shady and he could have found a way to keep tabs on my friend and I or someone else, I'm sure he would have. I know he would have.

The vast majority of CM's have been nothing but nice, decent, friendly and appropriate. But what it boils down to is observing the theme park experience as a microcosm of society at large. Everything that happens in society at large is magnified when you go to WDW or any other park. Everything happens in what seems to be a more dramatic rendition of reality--people are overly excited, overly irritated, overly eager, there's a plethora of stimulus to the senses and there's people out there who can't handle it in society, who don't know how to behave, who don't know what lines not to cross and for some reason, a place like a crowded theme park, becomes a free pass for less than orthodox behavior. It's part of the reason that they don't serve alcohol in many theme parks. Many--many--people (including employees) don't know how to behave or like to push buttons and then there is the unfortunate proportion of people in this bunch who are prone to criminality. It's just a fact of life. There IS reason to worry about "big brother" watching you.

Now, is it likely that a CM is going to go burglarize your home or follow you after the park closes to your guest room and harm you? No. It isn't probable but it is possible and to dismiss the possibility is to be naïve. You have to be smart and keep your wits about you the old fashioned way. There's lots of people who come here (myself included, I'm guilty) to share with other Disney enthusiasts our detailed vacation plans. This is little different than having the Mouse know what we're doing. We're willingly volunteering a lot of personal information! I think I've seen room numbers in some threads--room numbers. If you want to be free and open with your information, that's your business. There's lots of people who--for good reason--fear individuals, corporations or even governments acquiring of their personal information. I know people who won't participate in things like store savings programs because they literally think that the grocery store is reporting to the FBI what kind of toilet paper you use. Now, that's a little silly. But I do think there's cause for alarm. As long as the information being collected is innocuous or it is clear why they want it because it benefits our experience--and most importantly, they are telling us what information is being collected and who is going to see it and what is being done--there is no harm being done.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Email Jason Garcia.

Just a comment on Garcia (and, please, feel free to email or tweet this to him), but his efforts -- as usual -- seem suspect.

A real reporter goes out and talks to people and sources a story. I get the feeling this entire story of his is being written from either his cubicle or his patio. Asking for opinions daily on Twitter, with a running tally, is weak if not unethical. He's telling the folks at Celebration Place and TDO that he's doing a story and, right now it's gonna be negative, but they can have the whole week to seed the field with positive reviews that will find their way into his piece.

I'm sorry, but I know a little bit about journalism and ethics and he isn't looking to write the story that has Tom Staggs and his team of Disney lawyers on the phone yelling all sorts of MAGICal f-bombs at him. In the end, he'll use limp quotes and the story will basically wind up being a 50/50 at best on the program. 'Fair and balanced', even if he's writing on a story that far more are negative about than positive. According to their tweets, two of the folks he has talked to, aside from their affinity for all thing Disney, have rather interesting careers -- they are publicists.

Yeah, that's how you get to fair and balanced. Now, where are we today, Jason? Eight negative, five positive and four neutral. Hmmm...we add the five neutrals to positive and we have that milquetoast piece that basically says we'll all have to wait to see just what MM+ brings.

Here I thought on Monday, when he gave the head's up to CP and TDO that he was writing a piece on MM+, he didn't have a single positive comment. Not one. Nada. Zero. Zilch.

I just wonder, though, as a reporter and all ...might it be of interest to the public the connection between NGE and Disney's 'partnership' with the Federal government (being, that Jason is first and foremost a political beat writer and self -professed political junkie) and certain departments?

Now, I really have to go. I wish I were getting paid for this.

As for the requests, some that are getting annoying in their demanding 'you work for us tone', the reason the meatier posts are delayed (although I like to believe all my posts have substance) is they require additional thought, vetting and a reliable keyboard (tablets are not it).

Funmeister

Just a comment on Garcia (and, please, feel free to email or tweet this to him), but his efforts -- as usual -- seem suspect.

A real reporter goes out and talks to people and sources a story. I get the feeling this entire story of his is being written from either his cubicle or his patio. Asking for opinions daily on Twitter, with a running tally, is weak if not unethical. He's telling the folks at Celebration Place and TDO that he's doing a story and, right now it's gonna be negative, but they can have the whole week to seed the field with positive reviews that will find their way into his piece.

I'm sorry, but I know a little bit about journalism and ethics and he isn't looking to write the story that has Tom Staggs and his team of Disney lawyers on the phone yelling all sorts of MAGICal f-bombs at him. In the end, he'll use limp quotes and the story will basically wind up being a 50/50 at best on the program. 'Fair and balanced', even if he's writing on a story that far more are negative about than positive. According to their tweets, two of the folks he has talked to, aside from their affinity for all thing Disney, have rather interesting careers -- they are publicists.

Yeah, that's how you get to fair and balanced. Now, where are we today, Jason? Eight negative, five positive and four neutral. Hmmm...we add the five neutrals to positive and we have that milquetoast piece that basically says we'll all have to wait to see just what MM+ brings.

Here I thought on Monday, when he gave the head's up to CP and TDO that he was writing a piece on MM+, he didn't have a single positive comment. Not one. Nada. Zero. Zilch.

I just wonder, though, as a reporter and all ...might it be of interest to the public the connection between NGE and Disney's 'partnership' with the Federal government (being, that Jason is first and foremost a political beat writer and self -professed political junkie) and certain departments?

Now, I really have to go. I wish I were getting paid for this.

As for the requests, some that are getting annoying in their demanding 'you work for us tone', the reason the meatier posts are delayed (although I like to believe all my posts have substance) is they require additional thought, vetting and a reliable keyboard (tablets are not it).

I'm sure if you ask...we could all chip in to buy you a new computer! lol

Captain Neo

morsel.jpg

I offer this puppeh in hopes that it will calm the magicband paranoia and rampant nerd rage here.

That looks like a Muppet to me

Irie

Whether or not this reporter is skewing the numbers on purpose, I don't have a clue. I am not familiar with him, but I do know that upset people tend to complain more than content people heap praise. If I was one of the testers and had a horrible experience, I would contact anybody I could think up. If everything runs the way it is supposed to, I would just go home happy. However, I might respond if I saw a poll or a question on-line.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So let's say your waiter/waitress DOES have an iPad... do you really think he or she will be spending time looking through all your personal information while at your table? What if they see that it's your anniversary or birthday and give you something special, or see you are from their home state or country and strike up a conversation on that, or what if they see you are staying off property and give you a discount code to book your next trip on site, or what if they see it's your last day and give you a free dessert just because

I worked for a few years in my younger years as a waiter and I can say from experience that most times the waiters will not have the time to look at your name let alone your personal info. Probably 99.9% of CMs are good people trying to earn a buck with no intent to use the system to do harm. The other .1%...:devilish:

I have no issue with the waiter knowing my name (its on my credit card or room key anyway) and if I choose to put some personal info like where I'm from or that its my anniversary I have no problem with them knowing that too (of course they can just ask without having it on my iPad). That is where the option should come in. I should be able to go to My Disney Experience and select what level of info I want to make public (just like this site). Some people may get a kick out of the waiter knowing their whole itinerary, but I see no need for the CMs to have my entire itinerary and all my info. It's a personal preference. It's my hope that Disney comes to their senses and restricts the amount of info they share about me or at least allows me to restrict what is shared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom