Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattM

That's absurd. How did you come up with me having a problem with CMs.

But I do work in the News industry in Orlando and have covered 3 different Disney CMs getting arrested on child predator charges since Jan. AND I have 2 teenage daughters. And since we are local, I would prefer stuff like their home address not be available to 66,000 Cast Members.

Seriously, I might as well take out a roadside billboard, put their pictures on it and our address in big flashing letters.
It sounded like you were worried about what may happen if the CM's in your apt complex got a hold of your daughter's personal info. My only point is if I was worried about that even possibly happening, I'd want to be out of there anyway.

If I misunderstood you, then I apologize.

P.S. - Looking out a window across the street at the 13 right now.

MattM

The guy has 2 teenage daughters. That has to be a tough gig in general. Now he knows that a large number of CMs, some who may live in his building or visit people there, have access to his daughter's info. The CMs don't have to be predators or even bad guys, they could just be your typical teenage guys who are focused on what we all were when we were that age, meeting girls. I think it's well within his rights to not want those guys to know his daughters plans.
I agree with you.

rael ramone

There's no we. It's my opinion. I have no clue if anyone else is worried about anything. If you are asking me the question if I'm worried about that, the answer is yes, absolutely. When the suggestion of this system enabling sexual predators first came up a few spirited threads ago I was quick to dismiss it. My rationale was that the data collected wouldn't just be available to any cast member. I thought a predator who worked there would still need to circumvent some security to get at the data to use for harm. According to 74's latest post that is not the case. Its right there on the iPad. There is a documented history of less desirable people working at WDW in the past including sexual predators. There are something like 50,000 people working at WDW, are you confident that none are going to be up to no good?

Well, with the handsome compensation packages they offer CM's, they have their pick of the litter of potential hires :eek:.

Even discounting the CM's.... how secure is this system? If people can see (and change!) other peoples reservations on them due to glitches, how secure is the info from hackers?

And how 'good' will it keep track of people? Will it have actual guest triangulation?

stevehousse

All this talk is so laughable...the way everyone acts about the "security" you would think they are giving out your social security number to every cm in the park and that every child molester will be waiting at the ride exits to grab your children's privates! Lmao...

I think you all just need to relax...

Funmeister

All this talk is so laughable...the way everyone acts about the "security" you would think they are giving out your social security number to every cm in the park and that every child molester will be waiting at the ride exits to grab your children's privates! Lmao...

I think you all just need to relax...

All it takes is one bad apple to get your credit card number which IS attached to your social security number. So where will you complain when it happens to you?

stevehousse

All it takes is one bad apple to get your credit card number which IS attached to your social security number. So where will you complain when it happens to you?

I would love to see proof of where it says or shows that every cm will have your credit card number!

rael ramone

Everyone who stays on property should stop by the registration desk and ask for an updated printout of room charges. Daily.

fosse76

Right now, Disney reminds me of the star athlete from high school who gained 100 pounds but still thinks he's hot stuff and is coasting on his glory days. Sure, some girls (fan bois?) will still swoon at him, but most other people just think he's kind of pathetic.
Best analogy yet!

Piebald

Some of the people here and their concerns are laughable. It's almost as if you're all new to the internet and some of this stuff can all of a sudden be traced only now because of Disney. I would be more concerned about my dopey teenagers being on Facebook and instragram and kik than worrying about some mouthbreathing CM from Ohio community college taking time from rearranging his strollers to devise some master plan to swindle guests from millions of dollars in his neon colored african garb.

alphac2005

Well, when you walk into an attraction, as I have with both during my visits (just in the courtyard at Muppets), and the theaters are nearly empty or there's never much of a line, then that can't be attributed to large capacities. I don't know what the deal is, exactly, with Star Tours being so empty. It, at least, has a good show. The refurb was well done. But boy is it dead sometimes. Frankly, I'm just not as convinced that more Star Wars in DHS is going to do that much for the park. Sure, Star Wars Weekends are popular; I've been in the park when they've happened. But that's a special once-a-year fan-oriented event. I'm not sure that all Star Wars all the time access will really add much of a spark to DHS. It doesn't help that George Lucas hurt more than he helped with the franchise in later years. Still, I admit that SW is coming to DHS, like it or not. I hope its expansion won't overwhelm everything else in the park. I'd love a Monstropolis or a Disney movie dark ride in there somewhere. But who knows if we're getting anything at all? I'll believe it when I see it.

I think that you've really hit on something. I grew up in the age of Star Wars and even though there are more films coming out, I think that the overall must see type of event that Star Wars has been is waning. The Disney machine will market the [FILL IN THE BLANK] out of the new films and will probably make what LucasFilm did seem tame in comparison, but I, too, don't think that creating a whole Star Wars area of the park is as must do and see as it would have been even five years ago.

At Disneyland, turning Tomorrowland's corpse into anything will attract crowds, but long-term, don't know. There are a lot of comparisons to Harry Potter, but we know that whatever happens at The Studios, Disney will cheap out and it won't be loaded with much more than a new 3D film and retheming of dining areas and even if it had a bit more in the realm of attractions, Harry Potter isn't just about films, it's about the books as well. There is a massive audience between the two and while many kids of the 70s and 80s wane nostalgic for Star Wars, so much is thrown at today's audiences and kids, I think that it's just another property, another film, plethora of toys available or not. If you don't build compelling attractions to go along with the theme, it will fall flat and Star Tours quietness isn't a good barometer for them, but Igervision requires use of bombarding the parks with licensed properties that he's acquired during his reign. In the right situation, they could build some incredible Star Wars themed attractions, but for Florida, we know the odds are a tad bit low.

Bolna

I love the notion here that Disney is the only place where credit card fraud could possibly happen. As if it is something that doesn't exist now.

Who says that Disney is the only place where this could happen? Maybe the people who are concerned are already taking measures to prevent security breaches in all kind of other aspects of their lives and therefore don't appreciate it that Disney makes it more difficult for them to secure their private information? And this is a Disney forum, so it would be very off topic to discuss the lack of security in any other kind of business.

maxairmike

Then I would say check your daughters Facebook account and posts. I bet they are giving away their location all the time

I've lived and worked with a lot of CMs the last few years, and can easily vouch for Disneyhead's concerns, and they are very real. While characterizing as sexual predators only applies to a very small percentage, there are a lot of them that if they had an "easy" mark to flirt with and hit on, they would take it in a New York minute, and even try to take it to another level. They wouldn't go through the hassle of Facebook stalking or other "involved" processes to try and find out stuff about a needle in a haystack that is a WDW guest if all they have to go on is a name and face, but provide it to them every time they pay or use a FP+, and they can figure out anything they need to know in a few seconds. Heck, the amount of creepiness that goes on just between CMs would give you pause if you really knew about it. There are a few specific ethnicities in the World Showcase that are more than notorious among locals and regular CMs for doing this kind of thing with guests already (a thread was posted in the General Discussion section a few weeks ago about this very kind of situation), and this gives them more and detailed info to use.

RunnerEd

So youre all for sending 19 year olds off to die so Haliburton can make a profit?

As one of the people who has been sent off several times, I can give a general list of what we want when we go.

1. Sending us to war should be the last option.
2. If you send us, give us what we need to win.
3. The path to victory is bloody and cruel. This isn't Hollywood.
4. LET US WIN!!!
5. Treat us fairly when we return.

This is what I think of when people say that they support the troops; especially numbers 1 and 4.

Magenta Panther

@Magenta Panther , for the record Planes' sequel had already been planned for awhile now.

You have to remember that Planes was suppose to come out on DVD over a year ago, but Disney changed their minds and decided to go full force and switch it to theaters instead. There already had been plans for the sequel to come out on DVD the following year back when the first was to be DVD release only.

And it wasn't an awful movie by any means. Yes, it is not a Pixar quality film, but was a good kid film that both my boys loved! I manage a movie theater and can tell you that Planes has been doing very well...

Well, that's good news for Disney. I'm glad your kids enjoyed it.

Magenta Panther

@Magenta Panther please tell me when you go to HS and there is no line for SW? I'd like to know, because anytime I've gone there has always been a 40 minute wait, including when I went in September which is supposed to be value season. It's my husbands favorite ride and I'm tired of having to always wait for him when he rides it. Please give me your tips of when there is no line ( I'm being serious, I'm not joking).

I've been in April, October, September and November. Perhaps those are slow times at WDW... I have never been there in the summer (I'm not a fool).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom