Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDW1974

Original Poster
OK, so I was thinking about what Dave said about this whole NGE multi-billion dollar boondoggle being something for the New York Times. And, lo and behold, I see tonight that the Orlando Sentinel has finally realized that just maybe this HUGE story sitting in their local mouse trap may be worthy of some newsprint and cyberwaves.

They want to know what fans think of NGE/MM+ and why. Well, here's my Spirited summation as the person who brought much of what NGE is and could be to y'all ...

Disney's NGE is the stealth, incessant and unsolicited monitoring, capturing and archiving of all guest activity -- or lack thereof -- for undisclosed purposes as well as trivial or contrived vacation planning. As such, it is incorrect to call it tracking. It is, by every measure, stalking.

stlphil

That's not bad, but I'd much rather have say 20-25 FP+ tickets per quarter.

I also can't wrap my head around them not letting APholders have FP+ times for different parks in the same day.

I can only see Disney losing on that decision. Say on nights the MK is open until 12 and I go to Epcot for the day and use my FP's it gives me way less incentive to go to the MK and spend more money for an additional 3 hours.
Good point, but of course this assumes there will still be midnight closings in the future. Shouldn't assume anything at this point...

Clever Name

OK, so I was thinking about what Dave said about this whole NGE multi-billion dollar boondoggle being something for the New York Times. And, lo and behold, I see tonight that the Orlando Sentinel has finally realized that just maybe this HUGE story sitting in their local mouse trap may be worthy of some newsprint and cyberwaves.

They want to know what fans think of NGE/MM+ and why. Well, here's my Spirited summation as the person who brought much of what NGE is and could be to y'all ...

Disney's NGE is the stealth, incessant and unsolicited monitoring, capturing and archiving of all guest activity -- or lack thereof -- for undisclosed purposes as well as trivial or contrived vacation planning. As such, it is incorrect to call it tracking. It is, by every measure, stalking.

stlphil

Not everyone is on FB. There is a push away from it in many corners. And everyone doesn't use it quite the same way.

NGE is total control in what basically is a 27,000 acre lab.

And like I described in my statistics lesson/tome a few pages back, NGE allows them to link raw data with specific outcomes in an unprecedented way. And that link is what enables the end game in this: predicting behavior of individuals and providing the guidance on how to attempt to adjust/modify/control that behavior.

Zweiland

Magenta Panther sits at his desk, sweating. This next post will be enough to keep them away from him, right? They'll let him sleep well if he keeps up with this, right?

He closes his eyes and swallows. They started appearing a couple years ago in his dreams. Ever since Disney bought them out. The felt monsters with deadened eyes. It's like waking up to find that it's still late at night. The confusion comes first as he finds he can't move. Then the dread as he realizes what that sleep paralysis means. They're coming. They're here.

The door opens as someone who's far too short to reach the enters the room. Sometimes it's the pig. Sometimes it's the bear. Sometimes the frog. A couple of times, it's twisted felt idols of the people that love him. It doesn't matter who it is. They never show him mercy.

He's turned around, his face pressed into the pillow as they reach into his back towards his spinal column. Flesh parts easily, painlessly. Until daybreak, he's the puppet. He wakes up screaming when the light touches his eyes. It's always still nighttime. He always has to bring himself back down to sleep. It happens every night, unless he pushes them away. Unless he makes another post talking about how the Muppet brand just isn't right for Disney and how their brand of humor is too crude for the parks and how their acquisition was so terrible.

He opens his eyes again, shivering as he double-checks the post and then hits reply. This has to be enough for today. It has to be enough.

Oh. My. God.

Emoticons cannot express what I am feeling right now. This gets my vote for best post in the entire thread.

seinfeld.gif

Sped2424

Magenta Panther sits at his desk, sweating. This next post will be enough to keep them away from him, right? They'll let him sleep well if he keeps up with this, right?

He closes his eyes and swallows. They started appearing a couple years ago in his dreams. Ever since Disney bought them out. The felt monsters with deadened eyes. It's like waking up to find that it's still late at night. The confusion comes first as he finds he can't move. Then the dread as he realizes what that sleep paralysis means. They're coming. They're here.

The door opens as someone who's far too short to reach the enters the room. Sometimes it's the pig. Sometimes it's the bear. Sometimes the frog. A couple of times, it's twisted felt idols of the people that love him. It doesn't matter who it is. They never show him mercy.

He's turned around, his face pressed into the pillow as they reach into his back towards his spinal column. Flesh parts easily, painlessly. Until daybreak, he's the puppet. He wakes up screaming when the light touches his eyes. It's always still nighttime. He always has to bring himself back down to sleep. It happens every night, unless he pushes them away. Unless he makes another post talking about how the Muppet brand just isn't right for Disney and how their brand of humor is too crude for the parks and how their acquisition was so terrible.

He opens his eyes again, shivering as he double-checks the post and then hits reply. This has to be enough for today. It has to be enough.
THIS might be the single handed greatest thing I have ever had the pleasure of reading on this forum. Currently taking a picture and in the process of framing it on my wall.

sweetpee_1993

Where can I weigh-in with my opinion? It's creepy. It makes my skin crawl.

DH & I were talking about this stuff over dinner and he got really fired-up. Said he wished we hadn't booked a non-refundable DCL cruise for our anniversary next month. He's mad. Even said he wished I wouldn't read any of this stuff because it makes him not want to go on our upcoming vacations because he doesn't want to give any more $$ to a company doing things that are potentially so underhanded. Think I'll stop reading this stuff to him. He's got enough stress with work.

We went on to discuss how Disney has had the facial recognition stuff going on the ships for a while. I don't think they've got all the scanners or all the other stuff set up to track guests every move but it really does make you imagine just how easy it'd be to do this in the closer quarters of a ship. We both agree, however, that on the ships there's really not as big a financial gain to be had by doing all that nor is there much of a need.

I recall it being mentioned that Disney should've tried out a lot of these technologies on a smaller scale before trying to blanket their biggest property with it. The facial recognition stuff they've had going on the ships. I wonder why they didn't try this stuff out on the ships. It's a smaller, more controlled environment. Would've been a smaller testing ground, that's for sure.

PhotoDave219

I believe Dr. Teeth has revoked his Orlando Privileges.

PhotoDave219

Where can I weigh-in with my opinion? It's creepy. It makes my skin crawl.

DH & I were talking about this stuff over dinner and he got really fired-up. Said he wished we hadn't booked a non-refundable DCL cruise for our anniversary next month. He's mad. Even said he wished I wouldn't read any of this stuff because it makes him not want to go on our upcoming vacations because he doesn't want to give any more $$ to a company doing things that are potentially so underhanded. Think I'll stop reading this stuff to him. He's got enough stress with work.

We went on to discuss how Disney has had the facial recognition stuff going on the ships for a while. I don't think they've got all the scanners or all the other stuff set up to track guests every move but it really does make you imagine just how easy it'd be to do this in the closer quarters of a ship. We both agree, however, that on the ships there's really not as big a financial gain to be had by doing all that nor is there much of a need.

I recall it being mentioned that Disney should've tried out a lot of these technologies on a smaller scale before trying to blanket their biggest property with it. The facial recognition stuff they've had going on the ships. I wonder why they didn't try this stuff out on the ships. It's a smaller, more controlled environment. Would've been a smaller testing ground, that's for sure.

Email Jason Garcia.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
I don't know that the individual you referenced would be a go-to source regarding how America is faring with unemployment. And just like not everyone is cutt out for academics, many folks are not cut out to be AC techs, auto techs or plumbers. It is very easy to say that too many kids feel they are TOO GOOD to work in trades and if they did, bingo our employment problems would be solved. There is nothing close to an easy answer to our employment crisis.

There are psyhycolgical forces that far transcend the reach of any political party, recovery plan or crisis. The economics behind businesses are cyclical for this very reason.

Last edited:

SirLink

If it was included in the original SDL plan... and the acquisition was well after SDL started ramping up. I haven't heard anyone talking of SW in SDL for opening day.

I just don't see them building a Tron attraction at SDL - plus they get a Star Wars Starport themed Tomorrowland. Also the costs can be split over 3 resorts.

stevehousse

I just don't see them building a Tron attraction at SDL - plus they get a Star Wars Starport themed Tomorrowland. Also the costs can be split over 3 resorts.

The Tron attraction had always been the e ticket that has been talked about. I can see them getting a Star Wars attraction as well but I do not think they will theme their Tomorrowland as Star Wars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom