Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDW1974

Original Poster
True.
With Disney, "never" means "until we change our minds."

The Star Wars projects are relatively new, only a few months old. Iger decided he wanted them and wanted them soon*. They have elbowed aside other projects from Cars and Marvel that were already in development.

*Relative term, of course...

Boy, you know your stuff. Are you trying to be top dog insider here? You saw what I did with that Corrus fella and I didn't have an in with his wife either!:devilish::D:cool:

Last edited:

Scuttle

With most first-timers being lost and confused the tracking pattern of their magic bands will look like a bird in a tornado just going around in mindless circles. The good news is they will know exactly who are getting into the car accidents with each other trying to go from the park to the resorts.
Oh, I know, Jason. And I'm actually planning on buying the Frequent Fear Pass for the first time ever for $83 (advance price and I think I can get a friend to buy it with Team Member discount).

But I do long for the days when they didn't exist and you didn't have to wait in 45 minute lines (longest I will do) with a bunch of drunks to be rushed in and out of the houses. HHNs in the late 90s/early 00s was Orlando's best-kept secret.

Isn't that the truth! Remember in the 90's when it was October only not this mid September crap. HHN is great, but it's not as good as it once was.

Mr.Skunkape

yes, the sticker goes right next to the truck nutz. but those darn pinkos are taking their truck nutz away too. Maybe if you use truck nutz to explain the slippery slope argument a certain segment of the public will understand it better.

first they came for the truck nutz...

Call me old school but I gotta have my chrome naked lady mud flaps on my truck.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Isn't that the truth! Remember in the 90's when it was October only not this mid September crap. HHN is great, but it's not as good as it once was.

Yep. They are getting almost as bad as Disney. This year Disney is holding its first Halloween Party on the 10th of September (absurdly early) and UNI is only waiting 10 days before they start on the 20th.

donaldtoo

in fairness to our educational system...everyone takes the ACT here, in other countries like Japan and Sweden only their top kids take standardized test...most countries begin weeding out their top kids by the age of 14...sending the other kids to trade schools whereas we train our society that college is the only way to succeed

Way back in my day we had a vocational school at my HS. I had aspirations of becoming a licensed architect, so I took drafting for 3 hrs. a day (there were 2 3hr. classes per day) my junior and senior years to begin training for such. It was set up to be a work-like environment - We were allowed to have coffee, food, music. The man who taught the course also designed for local builders in his spare time to make extra money. About the middle of my junior year we were already doing working drawings/construction documents for a local builder to earn money for our drafting club for contest trips. I was hired by a local firm 3 months before I graduated HS to ink brochures for a builder at night. When I graduated HS, they hired me full time. I did go to interview at the UT school of architecture and evertything was looking good, but I was told (again, this was back in the day when we actually had vocational schools in HS) by the guys I worked for not to bother...I was already doin' stuff they didn't do until there 4th year in architectural school. Also, let's just say, I was makin' A LOT more money than my friends.
I was layed off back in '85 for 3 months and then rehired by the same firm, again. I was layed off for almost 4 years to the day by the firm I am know back with. The even gave me my same old office back...! :)
But, both times, people with college degrees were layed off just like everyone else. There was just no work, college degree or not.
Point bein', everyone does not want or need college to succeed is right.
A lot of people that came outta' that HS class are more successful than most people I know with college degrees. :cool:

EPCOTCenterLover

No, they still believe we are the freest country (and if they have an issue they'll blame the Prez because he is black and socially liberal, not because he sucks at leadership) ...they'll also believe we have the best educational system and healthcare and infrastructure too, even if we are laughable in those areas when stacked against other nations in the developed world.

What is our goal? To be able to put 'USA: Still better than Somalia!' bumperstickers on our Dodge pickups?
Yes, he does believe we are still the freest country, but he sees where things seem to be heading. And there was absolutely no mention of our President being black, liberal or anything.

twebber55

Way back in my day we had a vocational school at my HS. I had aspirations of becoming a licensed architect, so I took drafting for 3 hrs. a day (there were 2 3hr. classes per day) my junior and senior years to begin training for such. It was set up to be a work-like environment - We were allowed to have coffee, food, music. The man who taught the course also designed for local builders in his spare time to make extra money. About the middle of my junior year we were already doing working drawings/construction documents for a local builder to earn money for our drafting club for contest trips. I was hired by a local firm 3 months before I graduated HS to ink brochures for a builder at night. When I graduated HS, they hired me full time. I did go to interview at the UT school of architecture and evertything was looking good, but I was told (again, this was back in the day when we actually had vocational schools in HS) by the guys I worked for not to bother...I was already doin' stuff they didn't do until there 4th year in architectural school. Also, let's just say, I was makin' A LOT more money than my friends.
I was layed off back in '85 for 3 months and then rehired by the same firm, again. I was layed off for almost 4 years to the day by the firm I am know back with. The even gave me my same old office back...! :)
But, both times, people with college degrees were layed off just like everyone else. There was just no work, college degree or not.
Point bein', everyone does not want or need college to succeed is right.
A lot of people that came outta' that HS class are more successful than most people I know with college degrees. :cool:
watched dirty jobs guy Mike talk about this the other night...did you know there are 3 000 000 jobs surplus for skilled labor in america today (mechanics, electricians, plumbers etc) but we cant fill them because its taboo to bring up another option besides college...so we re giving out billions of dollars in loans to kids who cant find jobs to pay them back....jeesh

donaldtoo

watched dirty jobs guy Mike talk about this the other night...did you know there are 3 000 000 jobs surplus for skilled labor in america today (mechanics, electricians, plumbers etc) but we cant fill them because its taboo to bring up another option besides college...so we re giving out billions of dollars in loans to kids who cant find jobs to pay them back....jeesh

Yep, nutty, ain't it.
To quote Judge Smails from Caddyshack...
"Oh. Well the world needs ditch diggers, too."

WDW1974

Original Poster
Yes, he does believe we are still the freest country, but he sees where things seem to be heading. And there was absolutely no mention of our President being black, liberal or anything.

I am carrying on multiple conversations with multiple folks, but who is the 'he' you are referencing?

WDW1974

Original Poster

I don't know that the individual you referenced would be a go-to source regarding how America is faring with unemployment. And just like not everyone is cutt out for academics, many folks are not cut out to be AC techs, auto techs or plumbers. It is very easy to say that too many kids feel they are TOO GOOD to work in trades and if they did, bingo our employment problems would be solved. There is nothing close to an easy answer to our employment crisis.

WDW1974

Original Poster
One quick note before I slide on outta here, but George Kalogridis was at the poly today where he gave what has been described as an 'inspirational' talk about his career with Disney that took him from busboy to Prez of WDW to about three dozen CMs.

I really would have enjoyed the spin (and details left out) at that get together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom