Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Theres some rather frightning stuff in there. Restricting your experience if you don't meet X criteria?

This is insanely complex. It meshes with a few things Ive heard from friends here and there, especially the "forced migration" part, wherein Disney would text you things to your phone and tell you "hey, short line at XXXX" in some sort of effort to try and lead the crowd there. Only problem is, that is not likely to work.

That is part of their thinking. That we know we have capacity issues at the MK and plenty of underutilized attractions and areas. But thinking that folks will be coerced into attractions and activities they do not wish to experience because they've artificially raised waits on popular experiences instead of building new attractions and adding new entertainment offerings is just not going to work except with first-timers.

Scuttle

One other thing, not confirmed, someone sent me a message saying APers would be able to use the FP+ service seven days per month (again, one park per day). I think that is relatively fair ...which is about the highest praise I can give any aspect of this multi-billion boondoggle.

That's not bad, but I'd much rather have say 20-25 FP+ tickets per quarter.

I also can't wrap my head around them not letting APholders have FP+ times for different parks in the same day.

I can only see Disney losing on that decision. Say on nights the MK is open until 12 and I go to Epcot for the day and use my FP's it gives me way less incentive to go to the MK and spend more money for an additional 3 hours.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Can I be any clearer in saying that Star Wars projects are coming to the Studios makeover and that this project has moved to the front of the WDW interactive queue of projects per Burbank (i.e. Iger)?

Any comment on your past passion that insisted that we'd see Star Wars in SDL before anywhere state-side? And how the SW land drool after the acquisition was pure pixie dust dreams?

SirLink

Any comment on your past passion that insisted that we'd see Star Wars in SDL before anywhere state-side? And how the SW land drool after the acquisition was pure pixie dust dreams?

Technically it will though SDL opens 2015/2016 ... Star Wars Land in US 2018 ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
See.....here lies the problem. You don't mind them tracking you back to the resort when you decide to take a nap. But you do realize this is just the beginning. Its done in baby steps. By the time you say......whoooooa hold on there......you can track me in the parks but you never said anything about inside my resort room....is my scenario extreme? Five years ago if I would have said that they were going to have you make ride reservations 60 days out you would have said.....I was crazy.

This is a slippery slope. You have nothing to hide? That's not the point. This program and ones like the government (drones) implements is not about catching the bad guy. As mentioned you don't need a billion dollar system to catch shop lifters.

As I said I am going in January and I am bucking the system. I want to see exactly what "opting out" will mean.
I will pay cash for everything. I want to see if Disney deems me a drain on their precious resort. I am the exact childless 45+ demo that was referred to. Guess what? If Disney dosnt want me....there are lots of other vacation destinations that would love to have me.

Slippery slope, indeed.

Almost no one, let alone in power, voiced a complaint with W and Cheney's Patriot Act a decade plus ago because we were at war with 'the evildoers' that attacked us on 9/11. Guess what? We got them, many times over now. But it stands in the second term of a constitutional scholar 'liberal' Democrat because once freedoms are taken away, they usually aren't given back without some form of bloodshed or protest.

Anyone who flat out can,t see the slippery slope argument or brushes it off is just not a very intelligent spirit in my eyes.

Mr.Skunkape

With most first-timers being lost and confused the tracking pattern of their magic bands will look like a bird in a tornado just going around in mindless circles. The good news is they will know exactly who are getting into the car accidents with each other trying to go from the park to the resorts.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Technically it will though SDL opens 2015/2016 ... Star Wars Land in US 2018 ...

If it was included in the original SDL plan... and the acquisition was well after SDL started ramping up. I haven't heard anyone talking of SW in SDL for opening day.

WDW1974

Original Poster
If it was included in the original SDL plan... and the acquisition was well after SDL started ramping up. I haven't heard anyone talking of SW in SDL for opening day.

This is true unless they are hiding something very well, which I doubt.

Captain Neo

You did hear that during top secret meetings this weekend that Disney forced UNI to give back theme park rights to the Marvel characters right?

1346044723686.png

ParentsOf4

You did hear that during top secret meetings this weekend that Disney forced UNI to give back theme park rights to the Marvel characters right?

Yes, just checking reading comprehension and levels of alertness.
At that same secret meeting, I heard Disney landed the theme park rights to Lord of the Rings and Iger was targeting it for the Imagination Pavilion.

True to his word that "I don't think Figment is going anywhere any time soon", Iger was going to incorporate Figment into the new LotR attraction, replacing Samwise Gamgee with Figment.

:rolleyes:

Captain Neo

At that same secret meeting, I heard Disney landed the theme park rights to Lord of the Rings and Iger was targeting it for the Imagination Pavilion.

True to his word that "I don't think Figment is going anywhere any time soon", Iger was going to incorporate Figment into the new LotR attraction, replacing Samwise Gamgee with Figment.

:rolleyes:

That sounds awesome. I would ride that.

71jason

Monday Musings continued:

How can folks be talking about Halloween events already? Does August not count as summer any longer (sadly, it really never has in FL)?

Two points on that. First, it's been Summer here since early May (kids out of school and everything). By August, we're ready for it to be over.

Second, HHN and Howl-O-Scream do exactly what theme park junkies want. Once a year, 8 or so new "E-ticket" attractions. These may not be omnimovers, but in general, the themeing rivals PotC or HM. They disappear in a month and a half, and that exclusivity only ups the coolness factor.

In other words, spending on new attractions drives fans to visit the parks more (and spend on drinks, food, jello shots, T-shirts ...)

So, $92 for a full priced ticket to Halloween Horror Nights in O-Town?!!? It seems like yesterday I was picking them up at my local AAA branch for $19.99.

Rube price. For the same amount, an AP can get every night but the Saturdays. Even then, most of the normal Universal rides are open as well, so roughly analogous to a 1-day pass.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Slippery slope. That's it. I tire of the "I have nothing to hide" sentiment because that's what leads to this slippery slope turning into an avalanche. What too many people here in the States seem to always forget is that the Constitution has many guarantees for our citizens with regard to our government (Yet there are all so many legal loopholes that now run right through them....) and many of these guarantees don't apply to private businesses. Businesses can spy on their employees, fire them for political party bumper stickers, you name it. Your internal IM's, emails, etc., at work are being observed, read, etc. by many, many businesses. Most major corporations are major Orwellian institutions as it is. When my business lets our customers know that we don't sell, barter, etc., any personal data, whatsoever, the response is usually pure shock by most today. I've had companies tell us that we are fools for not monetizing the data that we have, but I'm not bring our operation down to the gutter that most have sunk into today.

From private companies to government, our most sensitive information is accessible by millions upon millions of citizens in both the States and the many countries where work is outsourced to. It doesn't matter? Bull, it does. Identify fraud, theft, etc., many of these things happen because of crooked people on the inside being able to access all too much information.

At what point does all of this data that a government or corporation possess send us to the road of the Minority Report of arrests for crimes that haven't been committed? It might seem funny, but there is a lot of seriousness here. We have a government that uses drones around the world and any male 14+ can be labeled as an actor on the battlefield or enemy combatant. Police forces in this country are clamoring for drone fleets, which are only really in a holding pattern as the FCC and FAA work on regulations. If people don't see that there is problem here, then they're wearing blinders.

Nothing to hide? That's not the point. Whenever a country starts taking what were guaranteed freedoms away in the name of safety and security, the endgame is never good historically for its people or country. This isn't a liberal or conservative issue, Democratic, Republican, Green, Alien, Purple, whatever party, it's an issue for all citizens of all stripes.

If it's bad enough that the government is snooping, I find it to be even far worse that a private corporation is using me in some over-the-top data mining orgy as @WDW1974 has basically described it. If the rubber wrist band acted as a ticket and cardless/cashless payment system, that's one thing and one thing that would be of good convenience for many, but it appears that the system is really more of a handcuff where a corporation knows you a heck of a lot better than your next door neighbor. What happens to the data? Will they sell the data? Are you eating too much junk food on your trip? Are they going to sell this to a healthcare insurer that will then in turn raise your premium for your unhealthy eating habits? (You know, this would give them hard evidence of your poor habits.) It's not that those scenarios will happen with certainty, but the slippery slope allows for things to snowball into what seems to be implausible to many.

Can we have a GREAT post/MUST READ button?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom