Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattM

Precisely. I don't understand the scandal here.

Even in the early 80's I can remember my folks describing WDW as a place uniquely engineered to separate them from their money. And we are supposed to be scandalized that they continue to pursue/perfect this angle? To quote Casablanca, "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!"

Couple that with the musings about technologies he doesn't know anything about and this latest line of attack looks particularly...labored.

I'm sympathetic to 74's larger effort but he's barking up the wrong tree with this latest bit. Yes, it looks like yet another of Disney's patented moneypit boondoggle projects. Yes, the tangible benefits to the patron are minimal, if any exist at all. Yes, this money is not being spent on attractions that are much needed in the parks. I agree with all of that and it's a tragedy. But the rantings outside of that are truly tinfoil hat fodder.
Here's the thing. CMCSA is doing the same thing up the street with Universal. They are trying to take as much of your money as possible. Obviously, they are taking a different approach to that goal. If that's the main beef here, then just say that. It can't be ok for CMCSA to seek a profit just because you like that they are building new rides.

But this notion that it is evil for a company to seek profit is just silly, at best.

I would be curious to know if the original poster seeks a profit in his business?

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Just glad a place like Kroger does not try and monitor my grocery spend and then send me coupons based on the same or similar products. :cautious:
I know, it would be an absolute outrage for them to take money that I spend on my kids (store brand) Lucky Charms and devote it to building a program of this nature. Thankfully they are doing something else with their money instead, making my (store brand) Lucky Charms taste better!

Cody5242

They've obviously haven't made that much progress on Episode VII. The 2015 release window is looking pretty slim

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Just so I'm understanding you correctly here...we are supposed to be outraged that a public, for-profit company, whom we are under no obligation to give any business, is seeking to make a profit?
Not really. As a shareholder that's what I'd expect.

But profit at the expense of a quality, Disney experience at the current parks? Yes.

MattM

It doesn't bother me, it just took me a couple minutes to figure out what it was.
Sorry, it isn't even something I give thought to when typing a company's symbol/name. I was wondering why you were asking haha. I will try and use titled names instead.

MattM

Not really. As a shareholder that's what I'd expect.

But profit at the expense of a quality, Disney experience at the current parks? Yes.
This, I can agree with, marni. OP made claim that a company seeking a profit to be an evil act, in and of itself.

What Disney will soon realize though, is if they don't continue to offer a quality experience at their parks (not just Orlando), then there will be less profit.

GiveMeTheMusic

No, they want that movie out in 2015 too, for some reason

Disney is positive they're going to set a B.O. record in 2015 that no other studio will ever be able to touch. Personally, I think Pirates 5 will bomb (at least domestically) unless it's so life-changingly awesome we all have to see it. But between Avengers 2, SW VII and Finding Dory, they're gonna be untouchable.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
No, they want that movie out in 2015 too, for some reason
08e924a425_istockphoto-581154-pile-of-money.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom