Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

lazyboy97o

For the sake of variety,Tony Baxter was fir...er...retired 2 weeks ago...where's that blog post?
It's already been asked a few times. He is still "with" Walt Disney Imagineering, so no need to mention a "slight" change in responsibilities (not that managing small scale projects for a single park was the peak of nearly half a century).

WDW1974

Original Poster
And a level playing field means specifics for them and for you. Larger organizations will always have an advantage because they will have the resources to more efficiently process the specifics. You can't be more specific with larger organizations because that undermines the whole point of regulation. Or would you travel on the less regulated, smaller cruise line over a more regulated, larger line? Or stay at the less regulated mom and pop hotel over the more regulated corporate-owned hotel?

Sorry, I must have not gotten those academic accolades back in university because I don't have a clue what you're saying. Perhaps, I should have not read thru some of Flynn's split-personality posts ... but as far as I know, individuals need EXTRA protection for the simple reason they aren't a multi-billion corporation.

''This was better than the last Carnival Cruise I took.'' from Dave's Top 10 tonight, subject 'Things People said after getting off the Carnival (Triumph) Cruise.

WDW1974

Original Poster
For the sake of variety,Tony Baxter was fir...er...retired 2 weeks ago...where's that blog post?

Send a tweet to Blondie or Bland Tommy or Crazy Gary ... I know the corporate reason and that is by keeping him as an 'advisor' (I think he was spotted at Best Buy and Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf in Anaheim Hill today!) is they can ignore the fact he truly no longer works for them and do things like give him his window on MSUSA and make him a Disney Legend etc ... Disney can be a soulless corporation, ya know?

lazyboy97o

Sorry, I must have not gotten those academic accolades back in university because I don't have a clue what you're saying. Perhaps, I should have not read thru some of Flynn's split-personality posts ... but as far as I know, individuals need EXTRA protection for the simple reason they aren't a multi-billion corporation.
Individuals getting extra protection is going to be handled by specifics, all those little things that make those contracts so long. A contract need not protect just one party. If you're protected from this, it needs to be spelled out. If you're protected from that, it needs to be spelled out. If you're not protected from the other, it needs to be spelled out. Now some of those protections could be codified into law and made applicable to all cases of a certain type, like a cruise vacation, but it would still require the individuals to be aware of their position in the situation. If you don't know you're protected it doesn't matter if you don't know because you didn't read all the fine print in the contract or because you did not read all of the fine print in the law.

Genie of the Lamp

Also no update on when the Parks Blog meetup will be/occur when the new Tangled Bathrooms open soon. Go figure. Apparently they have other things to blog about like couples enjoying a celebration of love right when the MK opened on V Day. They type things like this to make sure that they always come up with happy thoughts and keep into perception that the Disney Parks are a place where magical unicorns and rainbows exist which to some extent is true in most or certain (take your pick) parks/places. Basically feed them endless supply of pixie dust and always find a source of good for the P&R's.

the.dreamfinder

Yes, I'd rather focus on the Carnival Triumph because my good old pal Jeff Zucker believes it's the only story worth covering, yet his network (CNN) doesn't want to get to the heart of the matter -- and criticize a multi-billion global corporation in Carnival Corp -- that you essentially SIGN YOUR LIFE AWAY AND ANY AND ALL RIGHTS when you get on a cruise ship in the USA (even those MAGICal Disney ones).
This and a quote that I'm having trouble finding about how American companies (Disney, McD) offer a better product abroad than domestically got me thinking about CNN.
CNN has an international branch, CNN International, that does very good work and is up there in quality with the other big guys like BBC, Al Jazeera, NHK, but that product does not resemble the CNN we know. The CNN Americans know is the CNN that gives Harvey Weinstein 5 minutes to promote a glorified 7-Eleven advert and does a laughable job reporting their lead story for most of this week. And you know what I find interesting is that CNN makes it very hard for Americans to watch it because they try to lock users out and often jump through tons of hoops! If people knew what they WEREN'T getting then maybe they would be angry.
I cannot wait for Al Jazeera and BBC World News to eat CNN/Fox/MSNBC's lunch!

PeterAlt

You mean Orange County doesn't spend any money on Disney? Is that a serious comment or a joke?
I'm sure I was trying to be serious about something there that's remotely related to what I was was saying. It was a joke cloaked with a serious point. That by itself is pretty hilarious as I have no idea what that point is now.

HMF

This and a quote that I'm having trouble finding about how American companies (Disney, McD) offer a better product abroad than domestically got me thinking about CNN.
CNN has an international branch, CNN International, that does very good work and is up there in quality with the other big guys like BBC, Al Jazeera, NHK, but that product does not resemble the CNN we know. The CNN Americans know is the CNN that gives Harvey Weinstein 5 minutes to promote a glorified 7-Eleven advert and does a laughable job reporting their lead story for most of this week. And you know what I find interesting is that CNN makes it very hard for Americans to watch it because they try to lock users out and often jump through tons of hoops! If people knew what they WEREN'T getting then maybe they would be angry.
I cannot wait for Al Jazeera and BBC World News to eat CNN/Fox/MSNBC's lunch!
CNN is actually crazy enough to lay off it's Investigative Journalism department due to ratings and 1 of the persons laid off ended up being a consultant for the HBO Series "The Newsroom". Apparentlly real journalists are only hired by fictional newsrooms.

PeterAlt

CNN is actually crazy enough to lay off it's Investigative Journalism department due to ratings and 1 of the people laid off ended up being a consultant for the HBO Series "The Newsroom". Apparentlly real journalists are only hired by fictional newsrooms.
Both owned by Time-Warner, by the way!

bubbles1812

The bolded part is all I'm talking about.

I believe that your zealousness to argue against suing anyone for damages in almost any circumstance has caused you to veer into near hyperbole, and attach unintended meaning to my statements.
Not to mention it's pretty much just makes him look like a completely insufferable know it all in the majority of his posts...

MattM

We have very little to NO protections in place for consumers/citizens at all. And whenever we attempt to raise these as an issue, you hear the rightwing rhetoric about more government is evil and leave businesses alone ... regulation hurts jobs (yes, if someone is wiling to work for 78 cents an hour they should be allowed! -- just some hyperbole of mine based on people's collective ignorance).

I would have gone back to my 33-page contract that you need to agree to if you want to rent a car at Alamo (or most other places) that no one reads (the crazy rightwinger would say there's no one FORCING you to rent that auto so why shouldn't ALL the language protect the company even if it is negligent, even if breaks laws, even if a meteorite destroys the car leaving you holding the bag?) example of you having no ability to opt out, but a better example has been all the news this week.

Easy with all the Right wing bashing there, Mr. Spirit, or I may call a friend in D.C. and see if I can get that Civil-liberties loving President of yours to have a Predator drone legally buzzing over your house in Sunny Florida over "suspicions" I plant in their ear. Seriously though, if anyone here thinks that all these big bad corporations laws are only pushed by people on the right in Congress or state legislatures, well, you're either willfully blind to reality or you are on of those low information voters who believe anything a political ad or talking points tells you to believe.

(This of course is in jest, but the point is, there is plenty of ridiculous rhetoric on both sides and that the right does not hold a patent on looney. All in fun, @WDW1974)

MattM

You know, in reading all these posts about signing waivers and 33 page agreements and lawsuits one has to wonder. Which came first, the chicken, or the egg? Do we have 33 page agreements because people have sued and won, and now companies have to put those provisions (and others) in a contract, as ridiculous as it may seem? Or did the 33 page agreements come first, and the lawsuits followed?

I think we know the answer, but do we like the answer?

HMF

Easy with all the Right wing bashing there, Mr. Spirit, or I may call a friend in D.C. and see if I can get that Civil-liberties loving President of yours to have a Predator drone legally buzzing over your house in Sunny Florida over "suspicions" I plant in their ear. Seriously though, if anyone here thinks that all these big bad corporations laws are only pushed by people on the right in Congress or state legislatures, well, you're either willfully blind to reality or you are on of those low information voters who believe anything a political ad or talking points tells you to believe.

(This of course is in jest, but the point is, there is plenty of ridiculous rhetoric on both sides and that the right does not hold a patent on looney. All in fun, @WDW1974)
That is also unfortunately true

flynnibus

Premium Member
You know, in reading all these posts about signing waivers and 33 page agreements and lawsuits one has to wonder. Which came first, the chicken, or the egg? Do we have 33 page agreements because people have sued and won, and now companies have to put those provisions (and others) in a contract, as ridiculous as it may seem? Or did the 33 page agreements come first, and the lawsuits followed?

I think we know the answer, but do we like the answer?

That's what lazyboy was saying... the insane contracts exist because of the court interpretations requiring everything to be legal'd out. The courts have lost their common sense and have been interpreting to the letter.. so that has in turn required everything to be spelled out ad nauseum to try to protect against stupidity.

Like I said previously.. the loss of personal responsibility is huge.. add to that the evolution of the courts.. and this is the stupidity in which we have to live. IMO - its the civil court system that is burying us.

flynnibus

Premium Member

And who is protecting you from your idiot neighbor? What we need is the concept of personal responsibility in civil courts and stop trying to make 'someone' pay for everything that happens.

You still haven't answered what you think should have been done differently to justify why you think the big bad corporation should have been doing differently. You're just ranting about how law is too complex.. and lazyboy is telling you the reason the legalese is so complex is because of people persuing stupid claims have pushed companies into having to elaborate everything to the point of absurdity. It's a byproduct of the lack of common sense civil courts.

If your rental car breaks down out of a normal unforseen circumstance (because you know.. it is possible for things to fail unexpectedly.. even if cared for) - you shouldn't be able to sue the company for the revenue you lost due to being late to the business meeting. Yet, people persue such things.. and so they need to be disclaimed to fight off such stupidity.

If the courts would accept that '@$#% happens' - the world would be a much better place. If you've done your due diligence and adhered to manufacturers and industry standards for upkeep.. you shouldn't be liable for a material or system failure. If not... I want back damages for every time my car has broken down even tho I've followed the manufacturers recommended upkeep and handling. Heck, lets throw in some emotional distress and punitive damages too.. being stranded on the side of a busy highway is a dangerous place. Heck, I should sue the towing company for never showing up too.. the wait they put me through was hell. How did I ever survive those ordeals with those evil corporations holding me down...

Belowthesurface

Random thought...

I observed the Mad Tea Party queue today and it never went above 10/15 minutes.

Can anyone please present the logic that this ride needs a Fastpass? Honestly, SOMEONE convince me why this is a good idea.

Which reminds me... please document the Mad Tea Party now before it is over complicated with a brand new queue, touch points and merge point. Say goodbye to that simple, small and EFFICIENT footprint.

Once again, SOMEONE convince me why this is a good idea.

Still waiting for someone to answer this...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom