Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

asianway

Disney will hold very little information about a guest that is of a critical nature. You are at a far higher risk of having other systems that you rely on being exposed. For example, every credit card firm and bank has your full financial history available online for hackers to have a go at. Doesn't that unsettle you more than knowing that your dining and attraction reservations are at risk with MyMagic+?
If you mortgaged your Dvc it is likely they have your Social Security Number...

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
If you mortgaged your Dvc it is likely they have your Social Security Number...
They may well do, along with all the other financial institutions that have your social security number.

However, for the VAST majority of guests with data in Disney's system, it is insignificant in risk compared to other organizations that hold data on them.

ParentsOf4

While I brought up the idea of a la carte pricing for attractions in my previous post, I only mentioned it to make a point because it was something Tony Baxter had brought up years ago, not because I think it is very likely to happen anytime soon, if ever.
Like you, I have no idea if TDO eventually plans to bring a la carte pricing to WDW. However, they'd not be doing their jobs if they didn't at least discuss and even research the possibility.

Think about what they did with theme park tickets 8 years ago. They eliminated the "premium service" Park Hopper tickets, which automatically included hopper, water parks, and "no expiration" options and went to the a la carte Magic Your Way (MYW) tickets, where you pay only for the options you want (or can afford;)).

Imagine a park ticket including admission and a limited number of attractions, perhaps all attractions once or unlimited access to less popular attractions. With MagicBands touch-to-pay feature, you could, for example, decide to purchase a spur-of-the-moment FP+ for Dumbo. You're there with your children who you adore. They ask "Mommy and Daddy, can we PLEASE ride Dumbo again!" How many won't at least consider purchasing an upsale for just a few dollars more?

MagicBand's touch-to-pay system presents TDO with many opportunities to monetize WDW in new ways. Furthermore, just because they don't monetize something in 2013 doesn't mean they won't in 2014 or beyond. I have no idea what they actually intend to do or when they intend to do it but you can use your own imagination. From Disney's perspective, the beauty of MM+ is that it presents TDO with options, options they didn't have before.

And before you dismiss the idea with "they won't do that" or "I don't like it", remember that, ultimately, TDO doesn't care what you like. They care about what will be the most profitable.

Goofyernmost

The more I read about this, the more i envision a train wreck coming and leaving quite a tangled mess. And With Iger already announcing retirement in two years, he will be gone, sitting on the profit of his cashed out options and be able to say he left the company in good hands while others sort through the wreckage and try to decide what to do about P&R.
Funny thing is that I don't envision any such thing. I envision a system that has had a lot more negative hype then actually exists or deserves and that it will roll out (relatively) smoothly, almost no one will think twice about it. Almost nothing negative will result from it other than perhaps staffing where it is needed, merchandise that people will buy and perhaps a few more FP's for on-site people and a few less for off-site, but not enough to turn them off. Following the window on the passes may help the line speed at certain times of the day and increase the speed of entering and purchasing things that people were going to buy anyway.

If this system works, as I have stated in the past, I think that Disney's ability to sell the program to others will be where the biggest return on investment will come. Not the information that they gathered because that is something that Disney has always guarded with intensity and is considered completely proprietary. It would only be detrimental to them to let that information out. Because of some of the "possible" risks with the system, I feel that security on it will be diligent and as tight as it can get. Remember those deep, deep pockets that Disney has at risk to get emptied if something they do is used and it harms people, intentionally or not. Deep, deep rewards for anyone caught in that spiral.

In other words, it will be no big deal by the end of this year. It will merely be advanced technology in a place that has always been thought of as technologically innovative. In my opinion, that's the way it is.

WDW1974

Original Poster
A few more comments as I'm back and waiting for a business call (yes, some of us do work on Sundays!):

I just want to drive home the fact that Disney isn't spending $1.5 billion without expecting to recoup multiples of that. ... That is simple business strategy and common sense.

The fact it was pitched as a new business revenue model should nail that point home, but for some folks there is just a complete disconnect.

As to MM+ being simply an infratsructure upgrade, I'll simply point out that companies do this ALL of the time. But they don't market those upgrades (largely anyway) as reasons to purchase their products. Infrastructure upgrades are NOT a product.

They are a cost of doing business in a dyanamic world.

One of my stops this afternoon was the local McD's for a snack. They have had the ability to do tap and pay for years now here in FL. The only reason they don't use the system is because US credit card companies have been slow to upgrade to chip cards. This technology that some folks are acting like Disney is on the cutting edge of has been around for years. Disney may be the largest single site to utilize it in the USA, but they are not creating it. ... Anyone who, like myself, has an Exxon/Mobil credit card has probably had a SpeedPass attached to their car keys for ... I dunno ... since the late 90s or early 00s. You can walk inside the quickee mart there and pick up whatever you want (I usually don't buy stuff there unless desperate) and tap the SP and go.

As to the information Disney has, I often hear that it isn't anything more that your trip itinerary. That's just not true. You will have a credit card attatched and with that comes all the personal info that your bank also has.

As a company with a terrible IT track record, the question really is: why should you believe that Disney can safeguard your info?

Since the early days of Destination Disney, one of the cornerstones was to build a portfolio on as many guests as possible and assign them values (your MAGICScore) based upon everything from your zip code, to your credit score to how much you spend on each trip and how you spend it, to family demos. Disney will never admit this now because they can't get the basics of the system to work with test groups.But you better believe that is what they expect the system to be able to do down the road. And there is absolutely NOTHING MAGICal about that.

WDW1974

Original Poster
One more thought: many of the folks who can't get enough of the Pixie Dust and talk about how they must stay on property to feel like they're in another world blah, blah and blah as you've heard it all before ... well, they're the ones who seem to have the least issues with the real world intruding on their MAGICal sanctum in the form of onerous reservations requirements to experience attractions or the need to have smart phone and tablets at the ready -- the very devices that take you away from the MAGIC. Sorry, but nothing takes me out of a voyage with marauding pirates or a jungle cruise or a trip to the frontier than people checking their FB or uploading a photo with Instagram or any of these other social networking 'things'.

Sorry, Pixie Dusters, but I think you guys/gals can be a bit hypocritcal on this point.

Pentacat

One more thought: many of the folks who can't get enough of the Pixie Dust and talk about how they must stay on property to feel like they're in another world blah, blah and blah as you've heard it all before ... well, they're the ones who seem to have the least issues with the real world intruding on their MAGICal sanctum in the form of onerous reservations requirements to experience attractions of the need to have smart phone and tablets at the ready -- the very devices that take you away from the MAGIC. Sorry, but nothing takes me out of a voyage with marauding pirates or a jungle cruise or a trip to the frontier than people checking their FB or uploading a photo with Instagram or any of these other social networking 'things'.

Sorry, Pixie Dusters, but I think you guys/gals can be a bit hypocritcal on this point.

Wait till TWDC starts sending emails to on-property visitors about their vacation habits. They'll be pushing DVC membership to people by saying hey, you've spent $XXXXX on your last four vacations to WDW did you know that you could save a ton* of money by joining DVC? Never mind that the DVC re-sale market is dropping like a rock.

There's no way that TWDC can resist using this information in shady ways that are totally going to creep people out...even IF it leads to some kind of "value" to the person being marketed to. It's like the uncanny valley of the marketing world, people won't know that it creeps them out till they experience it. But once they do....they will know it's really creepy.

flynnibus

Premium Member
There's no way that TWDC can resist using this information in shady ways that are totally going to creep people out...even IF it leads to some kind of "value" to the person being marketed to. It's like the uncanny valley of the marketing world, people won't know that it creeps them out till they experience it. But once they do....they will know it's really creepy.

You find Google's ads 'creepy'?

flynnibus

Premium Member
One of my stops this afternoon was the local McD's for a snack. They have had the ability to do tap and pay for years now here in FL. The only reason they don't use the system is because US credit card companies have been slow to upgrade to chip cards. This technology that some folks are acting like Disney is on the cutting edge of has been around for years. Disney may be the largest single site to utilize it in the USA, but they are not creating it. ... Anyone who, like myself, has an Exxon/Mobil credit card has probably had a SpeedPass attached to their car keys for ... I dunno ... since the late 90s or early 00s. You can walk inside the quickee mart there and pick up whatever you want (I usually don't buy stuff there unless desperate) and tap the SP and go.

Its funny how you go to lengths to show how this is 'just more of the same' and not new - yet then turn to say how it's evil and going beyond. So which is it?

And just because components are common - doesn't mean the stuff you build from the components is common.

As to the information Disney has, I often hear that it isn't anything more that your trip itinerary. That's just not true. You will have a credit card attatched and with that comes all the personal info that your bank also has.

And virtually everyone has a credit card on their reservations too to pay for them. Are we really trying to scare people about using a credit card?

And I've never heard of a merchant account getting personal info FROM a credit card - only that they can test to see if info MATCHES what the bank has.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Obviously, that's my take. And announcing Cars land, as Pandora slowly dies (I knew the US military would destroy those damn blue tree huggers and steal their unobtanium !) won't change that opinion.

I would have hope if they could commit to both projects, but I'm sure they won't. In fact, I'll make a prediction 6.2 years in advance. After 2.4 years of waiting for ground to be broken on Cars Land, despite criticism that it isn't enough when Universal is clearly the new WOW place, they'll switch gears and announce Star Wars land. They'll be about year when it seems like both projects might happen and then Cars will go away completely. Finally, two years after the big SW announcement they'll realize that cool retro weather pavilion and the long awaited addition of Brazil to WS is what the World really needs. For about 9.3 months it will seem like both projects are happening and then the SW project will die a slow death and so forth and so on. *sigh*

Pentacat

You find Google's ads 'creepy'?

I do in fact find them creepy at times but Google continues to actually deliver REAL and VALUABLE products that I use on a daily basis. Actually I don't use them so much as rely on them for both business and personal needs. They have consistently proven to me that the information that I allow them to gather on me provides tangible benefits in my everyday life.

And before you reply about Google's track record on privacy or how much of my life Google already tracks...blah blah blah. In every instance while using Google's services you can opt-out with no penalty to use. And while ANY privacy statement reads like stereo instructions I feel comfortable enough with with Google's terms to feel that they are far more responsible with my personal information than the vast majority of companies out there. And why is that? Oh right, they are a technology company in which their entire existence is built around AdSense and the revenue that it generates. They, above everyone else, has an interest in remaining as transparent about how information is gathered, used and secured.

Only a fool would trust Disney, in terms of data security, more than Google.
Also, anyone can still use Google's services without providing them any information at all without penalty. It's not like Google is delaying the delivery of search results to people that do not opt-in to having their information collected. TWDC continues to state publicly that you'll be able to opt-out with no penalty. However, creating longer stand-by lines MAY be an unintentional consequence of NGEMM+ it will still have a very real impact on people that don't opt-in.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
The more I think about it, the more I like the new business model. They've ushered in a new era with NGE. It will really be a test of the gullibility of people all over the globe. With no money left to build actual attractions since it is all being spent on whatever the hell you want to call NGE, they'll have to space out attraction announcements just so. Then after people have lost interest in announcement A, make announcement B and hope no one notices no construction equipment never showed up. The can even have a push announcement on your smart phone for each "fantasy land" once you've installed the app! Utterly Brilliant!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Anyone who, like myself, has an Exxon/Mobil credit card has probably had a SpeedPass attached to their car keys for ... I dunno ... since the late 90s or early 00s. You can walk inside the quickee mart there and pick up whatever you want (I usually don't buy stuff there unless desperate) and tap the SP and go.

I don't get why having a credit card attached to it is a big issue. You trust Exxon with your credit card number attached to a speed pass but not Disney? When you stay at a hotel your credit card is attached to the room already. You are probably more likely to have your credit card info stolen at a local pizza place or a gas station than from Disney's system.

culturenthrills

Just dropping in briefly on a lovely (not really!) Sunday in paradise ... because I want to go back to the whole tech aspect and the 'I trust Disney with my info' ... Well, I know there isn't a system out there that isn't hacker-proof and I sincerely doubt this one will be as you give Disney more and more information that information can wind up in the hands of anyone.

Don't know how many of you saw this week that the Bush family (including two ex-Presidents and the ex-Governor of the state of Florida) had their private email accounts hacked. I'm gonna go out on a very short limb here and suggest that the Bushes have significantly greater security than MM+ is going to have.

May be back later with more thoughts ...

Don't forget Walking Dead returns tonight!:)

Now that's what's important. The Walking Dead returning!

Goofyernmost

As to MM+ being simply an infratsructure upgrade, I'll simply point out that companies do this ALL of the time. But they don't market those upgrades (largely anyway) as reasons to purchase their products. Infrastructure upgrades are NOT a product.

They are a cost of doing business in a dyanamic world.

Sure but if you take all the individual users of the individual technology that are piece mealing this stuff and roll it all into one huge system that covers all the needs for tracking, to tickets, to inventory and personnel control, to credit cards, to room keys to whatever else you may conjure up, wouldn't that be of value to someone that doesn't have 1.5 billion to create it on their own? Instead they can buy the software/hardware from one source all neatly packaged and ready to program for each individual need. Seems to me like a very large market for people to have that without developmental costs. I'd invest in it.

For Disney it could be like your Aunt giving you a recipe for apple pie and leaving out one of the spices she uses that makes it special. It's still an apple pie, but just not as good, but certainly edible. They would have complete control over just what was let out to outsiders and all it would be is software and perhaps hardware, no details about specific Disney information about it's guests.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom