Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

ParentsOf4

Not at all - it means Disney can't ignore accounting principles and depreciate computer hardware at the same rate it depreciates buildings, structures, and ride systems. An attraction might be depreciated over a decade or more - Disney is simply not allowed to depreciate servers and computing infrastructure on the same type of schedules.

The impact is Disney can't spread the cost over very very long terms like it can with attractions. They have the face the spending quicker in their books.
Sure. High tech items typically are depreciated much faster; perhaps over 4 years or so. But there's a reason they are depreciated so quickly. A 4 year-old computer is old. Given the demands MM+ will place on the system, it will be necessary for Disney to keep MM+ technology relatively current, much more so than a typical brick-and-mortar attraction.

RSoxNo1

So another thing I've been thinking about re: Fastpass+ is that it has the potential to extend vacations. I'm curious if this was actually a point of discussion when it was rolled out. It's been established that guest satisfaction is linked to the number of attractions that they experience and the magic number seems to be in the 9-10 range.

I suspect that there is a disconnect there where many of the once in a lifetime visitors are spending substantially more money and falling into the 6-8 attractions per day range. Comparitively, the more experienced guests are in the 12-14 range. I suspect that Fastpass+ is an attempt to normalize this. Those that are more experienced will still be able to accomplish more for less based on experience, but those that are spending more may be able to use dollars instead of knowledge to get more out of their park experience.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
The more I think about these storied Imagineers the more I am sadden by the bankruptcy of the "magic factory"
Part of me was fanboy dreaming/hoping/wishing that Universal Creative would sweep in and save the day. But in all honestly I actually hope they don't.

The reason why is that the imagineers at the level of Tony and Joe are part of the bloated budget problem at WDI. Universal has been able to get so much bang for their buck when you do a dollar for dollar comparison of attractions built by UC vs WDI (it seems almost a 3 to 1 comparison)

If UC could pick up some of these epic talents and have it not bloat attraction budgets then I would be the first one to champion this. But if they can't I say let UC keep doing what they are doing... Just me being pragmatic and thinking out loud.

It is only 'bloating' because they aren't being used. They are well worth the money if you just let them do their thing. Let Tony make some real attractions and you'll have your own Harry Potter World. Instead they don't get a chance and their salary continues to be wastefully paid.

Clever Name

So, it turns out it's not Brylcream the kids in SoCal are using all of a sudden. I was wrong on that detail.

The young college guys who go there are all asking for side part cuts he says, and he is selling them small tubs of a product called "LayRite". Its' a waxy pomade that washes out easily, and it didn't smell bad when he showed me a tub of it. He says his sales of LayRite has been increasing every month since last summer, and side parted haircuts are all the kids are asking for now.

I'm sure the new fashion will spread beyond Southern California soon, just like most other teenage fashion trends have done since The Beach Boys first topped the charts.

The times they are a-changin'. And that kind of change can't some soon enough for the sloppy CM's who look like they just rolled out of bed and spent 90 seconds getting ready for their shift!
Nothing has changed. Layrite is the product the kids ask for now.

images

In 1958 all the kids asked for Butch Wax. Elvis used it too!

rael ramone

Exactly. If they can reduce the number so that all guests are "somewhat satisfied" as opposed to some guests being very satisfied and others being unsatisfied, that's ideal.

Again, this is just speculative.

I don't suspect someone who is 'somewhat satisfied' is going to pay $100 for a day ticket (or whatever they charge for multi-day tickets) or $400-$600 for a deluxe room.

mgf

While I don't doubt what you say, wow, I sure wish we'd see a sign that they're listening,
and that someone, anyone "gets it". It sure won't be on the Parks Blog.

Still waiting for someone to take their lunch hour and go fix the Roger Rabbit window at the Studios.
Then we could all say, "the beacons are lit!".

Better yet, have the courage to do a MAGICal AMA session. If POTUS can take on Reddit, Disney should be able to handle its fan community.

Lee

Adventurer
I know that Tony Baxter and John Candy are in that picture, but whose Bruce?
lol
Not Candy. John Stone (in the center) was a model maker at WDI until they let him go back in '02 or '03.
The late Bruce Gordon, Imagineer and co-author of the great "The Nickel Tour" among other fine works.

Genie of the Lamp

lol
Not Candy. John Stone (in the center) was a model maker at WDI until they let him go back in '02 or '03.
The late Bruce Gordon, Imagineer and co-author of the great "The Nickel Tour" among other fine works.

Jeez my bad Bruce Gordon does look a lot like John Candy to me. So what other attractions did Stone and Gordon work on besides Splash with Tony? Too lazy to research here.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Jeez my bad Bruce Gordon does look a lot like John Candy to me. So what other attractions did Stone and Gordon work on besides Splash with Tony? Too lazy to research here.

Gordon: Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, Journey Into Imagination, Star Tours, Nemo Submarine Voyage

Stone: Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, Indiana Jones

They worked a lot with Tony and Eddie.

WDWFanDave

The more I think about these storied Imagineers the more I am sadden by the bankruptcy of the "magic factory"
Part of me was fanboy dreaming/hoping/wishing that Universal Creative would sweep in and save the day. But in all honestly I actually hope they don't.

The reason why is that the imagineers at the level of Tony and Joe are part of the bloated budget problem at WDI. Universal has been able to get so much bang for their buck when you do a dollar for dollar comparison of attractions built by UC vs WDI (it seems almost a 3 to 1 comparison)

If UC could pick up some of these epic talents and have it not bloat attraction budgets then I would be the first one to champion this. But if they can't I say let UC keep doing what they are doing... Just me being pragmatic and thinking out loud.

I don't disagree with you. However, I see it one other way also...

If, and this is a big if, WDW could build something like the SDMT in a period of time that was HALF what it currently is (kind of like the folks working over at Universal), AND also add in some real blockbusters (all over the property) that would drive attendance (and build those like materials are in short supply and it's a race for WDWs life), AND return to exceptional maintenance and show quality standards, then I believe that the increase in revenue they would see from a spike in attendance would more than offset the bloated WDI salaries in play. Heck, build like crazy, based on incredible quality like they used to, and I know I'd certainly be planning to go back soon, and repeatedly, with my wallet wide open and a smile on my face. :) Until then, I'm planning my first ever Universal vacation.

WDWFanDave

Sure. High tech items typically are depreciated much faster; perhaps over 4 years or so. But there's a reason they are depreciated so quickly. A 4 year-old computer is old. Given the demands MM+ will place on the system, it will be necessary for Disney to keep MM+ technology relatively current, much more so than a typical brick-and-mortar attraction.

And this really begs the question of, 'why?'.

Why would they make a decision to invest so heavily in something that must have an immediate and massive ROI? Has the economy been so good at decision time, during development and now for implementation that they felt that people would be drooling all over themselves and tripping from running so fast to get to WDW to get a new MM+ bracelet?

The more I ponder this, the more I wonder if Rasulo even understood what the heck this was all about, and had any meaningful discussions with folks that could help him understand the potential negative financial impact and fallout this could have for WDW. He's the CFO, so the answer should be 'yes'.

Let's run the numbers, as simply as we can.

1 billion dollars, amortized over 4 years (which is being generous) is $250M per year.

Take that same $250M per year, and times it by 20 years (or longer), for amortizing the big stuff, you know, like CarsLand, or a Monsters Inc coaster, or I don't know, maybe a Star Wars land. How much could we have to work with? $250,000,000 x 20 = $5,000,000,000. Anyone think we could have a return to an amazing park experience with $5 Billion dollars? I do. Those numbers, are of course, presented very simplistically, and yes I do know there's a whole lot more involved. It's just disappointing when you start peeling back the layers.

As a life-long (well, almost) WDW fan, I feel like the kid in the neighborhood still playing on the 'newest' Atari 2600, while all of my friends have pre-ordered the PlayStation 4.

RSoxNo1

I don't suspect someone who is 'somewhat satisfied' is going to pay $100 for a day ticket (or whatever they charge for multi-day tickets) or $400-$600 for a deluxe room.
Well the uninformed person is spending $100 a day (or more when everything is factored in) with the expectation of being satisfied. However, if they're not satisfied they are less likely to pay $100 a day again.

It's the same way you measure your experience on an attraction though. Instead of using words let's measure your degree of satisfaction as a percentage. An uninformed guest may go on Expedition Everest and by 90% satisfied. They don't know what they're missing but they weren't completely satisfied with the ride. A guest that knows the Yeti is broken is looking out for it, goes on the ride and is 80% satisfied. If the Yeti is repaired and both guests go on the ride they're both 100% satisfied.

Using the example I gave, say us fanbois are 100% satisfied with the parks on days that we experience 12-14 attractions. Say the uninformed guest is 75% satisfied when they experience 6-8 Attractions. If both groups experience 9-10 attractions they may be 90% satisfied, and to Disney that's probably, "good enough".

The other option would be to build more attractions, spread out the crowd and make everyone 100% satisfied.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom