Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

John

That is just sad ... I don't know ... just where you go from there. And they think no one is noticing. To all the Twits out there reading this who love 'chatting' with Blondie and Crazy Gary and the three Jasons in the Twitverse, any of you gonna ask them why the Blog and D23 are ignoring Tony? Are you afraid if you do, they'll stop 'talking' to you?

You just gotta believe when I say that Bruce and Craig hate Tony and the feeling is mutual, I am not kidding.

You also realize, I'm sure, that if Iger or Staggs wanted Tony to remain until his 50lh anniversary in 2015, that he'd still be with the company!

I honestly believe Tony would have stayed too. There probably came a point where somehow there was a message handed down....for Tony to beat it!. Sure we knew it was comming. But Tony might have been hanging on and collecting a check in spite. This was the "bitter " end.

TP2000

I think the most disturbing piece of information on page 32 of this thread is the increasing popularity (repopularity?) of Brylcream.

My Grandfather used to use that awful smelling stuff. For like, his entire life. In fact, when he passed, I put a tube of it in the casket with him.

Ugh. Not Brylcream. SAY IT AINT SO.

So, it turns out it's not Brylcream the kids in SoCal are using all of a sudden. I was wrong on that detail.

I asked my barber this afternoon, who runs the funky-cool College Barber Shop across the street from Chapman University in Orange, about 5 miles due east of Disneyland.

2799206536_741556db65_z.jpg

The young college guys who go there are all asking for side part cuts he says, and he is selling them small tubs of a product called "LayRite". Its' a waxy pomade that washes out easily, and it didn't smell bad when he showed me a tub of it. He says his sales of LayRite has been increasing every month since last summer, and side parted haircuts are all the kids are asking for now.

I'm sure the new fashion will spread beyond Southern California soon, just like most other teenage fashion trends have done since The Beach Boys first topped the charts.

The times they are a-changin'. And that kind of change can't some soon enough for the sloppy CM's who look like they just rolled out of bed and spent 90 seconds getting ready for their shift!

Longhairbear

So, it turns out it's not Brylcream the kids in SoCal are using all of a sudden. I was wrong on that detail.

I asked my barber this afternoon, who runs the funky-cool College Barber Shop across the street from Chapman University in Orange, about 5 miles due east of Disneyland.

The young college guys who go there are all asking for side part cuts he says, and he is selling them small tubs of a product called "LayRite". Its' a waxy pomade that washes out easily, and it didn't smell bad when he showed me a tub of it. He says his sales of LayRite has been increasing every month since last summer, and side parted haircuts are all the kids are asking for now.

I'm sure the new fashion will spread beyond Southern California soon, just like most other teenage fashion trends have done since The Beach Boys first topped the charts.

The times they are a-changin'. And that kind of change can't some soon enough for the sloppy CM's who look like they just rolled out of bed and spent 90 seconds getting ready for their shift!
Imperial Barber Products is big too. They have various pomades etc. and made in Los Angeles. We see a lot of pompadours on guys at the car shows, and at DCA/ Disneyland.
I still have all my hair, so I might try a side part. I should do it before cocktails, or the side part will turn into Annette's hairdo from Bikini Beach.

OFTeric

The more I think about these storied Imagineers the more I am sadden by the bankruptcy of the "magic factory"
Part of me was fanboy dreaming/hoping/wishing that Universal Creative would sweep in and save the day. But in all honestly I actually hope they don't.

The reason why is that the imagineers at the level of Tony and Joe are part of the bloated budget problem at WDI. Universal has been able to get so much bang for their buck when you do a dollar for dollar comparison of attractions built by UC vs WDI (it seems almost a 3 to 1 comparison)

If UC could pick up some of these epic talents and have it not bloat attraction budgets then I would be the first one to champion this. But if they can't I say let UC keep doing what they are doing... Just me being pragmatic and thinking out loud.

rudyjr13

You're wrong.

This site and this board is regularly read by Disney execs and their reps (Georgie K is a big fan of mine!), Imagineers and other creatives, media members, every social media out there (and to prove me wrong they'll all Tweet about how they don't! :D), consultants, even a few politcians!

So, the idea that we're all just talking to each other is quite naive and quite off.

There REALLY is POWER in Social Media.

And this is the No. 1 site specific to WDW.

Fair enough. Well hope they read this: I decided NOT to go back in April after going in Nov due to the stale product and increased costs. I am NOT interested in planning my fast passes out in advance nor standing in longer lines due to the fast pass system. I also DO NOT want you tracking my 2 and 3 year olds, and I'm not a big fan of having to wear a bracelet.

Goofyernmost

I also DO NOT want you tracking my 2 and 3 year olds

I'll bet you would be thrilled with it if they suddenly got lost in the crowd and could be located quickly. Then you'd be worshiping the idea. And seriously, what other reason would they have for having the ability to track them. Not all parts of this are evil. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Disclaimer: The last sentence does not apply to digital clocks. Man, don't you just hate progress. It destroyed a lot of good jokes.

evilzorac

Fair enough. Well hope they read this: I decided NOT to go back in April after going in Nov due to the stale product and increased costs. I am NOT interested in planning my fast passes out in advance nor standing in longer lines due to the fast pass system. I also DO NOT want you tracking my 2 and 3 year olds, and I'm not a big fan of having to wear a bracelet.
I'm with you Rudyjr my families AP's expire in May and will not be renewed. However I just renewed my Universal AP's and have reservations coming up at the Hard Rock!

Soarin' Over Pgh

I hope wearing pants at (GASP!!!) waist level and shirts that are not the male equivelent of dresses also comes back into style.

There's nothing more sharp than a well dressed man with well taken care of hair (that doesnt smell like Brylcream) and a polished outfit.

Can we get loafers back in vogue too? Kinda tired of seeing that gawdawful sneakers with HUGE tongues, unlaced, and sloppy looking.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I'll bet you would be thrilled with it if they suddenly got lost in the crowd and could be located quickly. Then you'd be worshiping the idea. And seriously, what other reason would they have for having the ability to track them. Not all parts of this are evil. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Disclaimer: The last sentence does not apply to digital clocks. Man, don't you just hate progress. It destroyed a lot of good jokes.

Some digital clocks break in such a way that they either blink or show the same time all the time, so for a certain percentage of broken digital clocks this is correct. However, the phrase, "A certain fraction of broken clocks are right twice a day" doesn't sound very Magical.

rudyjr13

Give me a break. They have a great system in place now without the bracelets. When's the last time you heard of an issue with that? Pay attention to what credible people here are saying. I'll tell you what's good about this, free wifi and the RFID door locks are great.

Goofyernmost

Give me a break. They have a great system in place now without the bracelets. When's the last time you heard of an issue with that? Pay attention to what credible people here are saying. I'll tell you what's good about this, free wifi and the RFID door locks are great.
Sure it's a great system, but this is better. That's all I'm saying. I didn't say that I think the whole system is just glorious, it's just that if it has one winning quality, it is that.

djlaosc

I've got a big ol' effort post to drop on this thread when the time is right about the rumored JP hypercoaster. But, since at this point there's not much solid to go on it, and I have a feeling right now this is still really, really conceptual, I'm going to honor Spirit's wishes and not mire the thread in it. Really like this point, though!

Hopefully the time is soon, and hopefully they will decide what they are building so that they can get started sooner rather than later!

rael ramone

Take a look at the resale market.

I am NOT a timeshare person. AT. ALL.

But when I see points at OKW and Vero selling for under $50 and some cases under $40, I start thinking that it might just be worth it.

Why anyone buys DVC from TWDC right now is sorta beyond my comprehension (even though I understand that Disney is making rules more onerous for those who don't buy from them).

But there shouldn't be any choice between say $40 at OKW and $145 at DAK Villas.

$40 for OKW? That's like paying $55 for DIS. :rolleyes:

Once we get the 'team' up the Hill, 60 Minutes does it's piece on the whole program, and South Park does an episode on it... it could be a buyers market...

Atomicmickey

You're wrong.

This site and this board is regularly read by Disney execs and their reps (Georgie K is a big fan of mine!), Imagineers and other creatives, media members, every social media out there (and to prove me wrong they'll all Tweet about how they don't! :D), consultants, even a few politcians!

So, the idea that we're all just talking to each other is quite naive and quite off.

There REALLY is POWER in Social Media.

And this is the No. 1 site specific to WDW.

While I don't doubt what you say, wow, I sure wish we'd see a sign that they're listening,
and that someone, anyone "gets it". It sure won't be on the Parks Blog.

Still waiting for someone to take their lunch hour and go fix the Roger Rabbit window at the Studios.
Then we could all say, "the beacons are lit!".

ParentsOf4

After Bob Iger replied to questions about MM+ at the Q1 earnings conference call, Jay Rasulo chimed in with this follow-up response:
One thing I just wanted to add for all of you -- Jessica, as well -- is that part of the expenses that Bob talked about of course will be depreciation of the capital investment. And compared to what we usually invest in, the life on these assets, particularly on the system side, is very short. And that will impact us going forward.
This is depressing. Disney is acknowledging MM+ technology has a short shelf-life and will need constant future capital investment. Effectively, going forward, a large part of WDW’s capex will be spent feeding the MM+ beast, not on park improvements.

It indicates Disney has conceded the “attraction war” to Universal and reeks of BOS.

More than anything, this might be the single best reason for WDW fans to hate MM+.

Rasulo’s response along with Iger’s earlier statement (“We want to make sure that we get this right before we go too fast with it”) also hints at what I’ve suggested for a while. Disney plans to continue to expand MM+’s footprint. MM+ will grow. Those who cynically have suggested eventually being required to schedule bathroom breaks might not be too far off the mark.

One last thought. As @WDW1974 already alluded to, there were references during the conference call to Disney quickly recovering its capital investments in its theme parks. This means price increases, potentially big price increases. Unless you are a Disney executive, it’s pretty much guaranteed your pay won’t keep pace with WDW’s prices. If you can, buy your tickets now. You’ll earn a lot more “interest” than leaving your money in a bank.

Better yet, purchase a Universal Annual Pass, which costs $40 less than a single 3-day WDW hopper ticket. At Universal, they are building really exciting attractions for you.

flynnibus

Premium Member
This is depressing. Disney is acknowledging MM+ technology has a short shelf-life and will need constant future capital investment. Effectively, going forward, a large part of WDW’s capex will be spent feeding the MM+ beast, not on park improvements.

Not at all - it means Disney can't ignore accounting principles and depreciate computer hardware at the same rate it depreciates buildings, structures, and ride systems. An attraction might be depreciated over a decade or more - Disney is simply not allowed to depreciate servers and computing infrastructure on the same type of schedules.

The impact is Disney can't spread the cost over very very long terms like it can with attractions. They have the face the spending quicker in their books.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom