Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

culturenthrills

OK, this is news, but not Disney-related per se, although since folks have asked about it ... have it on very solid info that the JP E-Ticket at IOA will be a hypercoaster (B&M?) attraction ... and the other will be a walk-through interactive experience (more C-Ticket) that stretches down to the water from the old Trike Encounter locale.

What do you guys think of a where's Georgie K thread idea?

I would love a b&m hyper(what Rip, Ride, Rocket should have been). It is the one type of coaster we are really missing in FL. I miss Apollo's Chariot at BGW every year I am down here.

WDW1974

Original Poster
So...Michael C. went out at DL and sold popcorn.

Anybody seen George? Has he been selling Dole Whips or glowy/whirling things before a parade? Checking FPs at Soarin?

Should we send out a search party for the poor guy?

Disney's email bomb to 'community leaders' went out this afternoon and its top blurb (all of about 150 words) was on George's first day of work -- Monday. Didn't say anything of note, I'll try and post it later. Was basically a weclome back home deal with one quote from the man, the exec who rose from busboy to lead Florida's top business, the legend that is -- George Kalogridis.

Genie of the Lamp

Anybody seen George? Has he been selling Dole Whips or glowy/whirling things before a parade? Checking FPs at Soarin?

Or we can get Mr.Spirit's Exec Stalking Disney Hater minions to do the job.;) We need to create a Where's George K thread pronto! Anyhow, I don't blame him for being in DL since he probably would much rather be their advertising the DLR with the momentum they have going their way after Carsland and such improvements that have happended at DL vs. NGE, Interactive games/queue's coming here to WDW. Plus if it were me in his shoes I'd rather be Prez of DLR than Prez of WDW currently. Probably doesn't want to deal with all this scruntiny since Burbank is hoping George can make a profitable success that is of NGE.

asianway

Or we can get Mr.Spirit's Exec Stalking Disney Hater minions to do the job.;) We need to create a Where's George K thread pronto! Anyhow, I don't blame him for being in DL since he probably would much rather be their advertising the DLR with the momentum they have going their way after Carsland and such improvements that have happended at DL vs. NGE, Interactive games/queue's coming here to WDW. Plus if it were me in his shoes I'd rather be Prez of DLR than Prez of WDW currently. Probably doesn't want to deal with all this scruntiny since Burbank is hoping George can make a profitable success that is of NGE.
Honey Boo Boo has been spotted at the MK, still no sign of George K.

Genie of the Lamp

On a side note, ole sweet Lou Mongello in his wdw radio newscast talked about how Tony Baxter's resignation from Senior Vice President, Creative Development at WDI was such a "TOTAL SHOCK" to the fan community and thinks he's gonna be a first ballot Disney legend recipient. Scary thing is even Lou Mongello recognizes that Tony was a once in a lifetime imagineer who went out in class/style and that his prescene at WDI on a daily basis will be sorely missed. Apparently he interviewed Baxter not too long ago. His bloggers think that Tony made lots of classic disney rides and attractions. Go figure. I guess Disney is telling Lou Mongello to talk about Tony's resignation, retirement, whatever you want to call it and just use Lou to say we had this guy talk about our feelings of Tony's departure.

Lee

Adventurer
On a side note, Lou Mongello in his wdw radio newscast talks about how Tony Baxter's resignation from Senior Vice President, Creative Development at WDI was such a "TOTAL SHOCK" to the fan community and thinks he's gonna be a first ballot Disney legend recipient. Scary thing is even Lou Mongello recognizes that Tony was a once in a lifetime imagineer who went out in class/style and that his prescene at WDI on a daily basis will be sorely missed. Apparently he interviewed Baxter not too long ago. His bloggers think that Tony made lots of classic disney rides and attractions. Go figure. I guess Disney is telling Lou Mongello to talk about Tony's resignation, retirement, whatever you want to call it and just use Lou to say we had this guy talk about our feelings of Tony's departure.
If someone found Tony's...ummm...resignation a TOTAL SHOCK, they really haven't been paying attention.

The continuing lack of any coverage on the official blog does seem odd. I'm not saying it means that Tony is now a persona non grata...but...

Reckon we should take Mongello's report as "official"?

lazyboy97o

I too find the lack of mention on the blog surprising, while also find it not surprising. If there is one Imagineer who is best know, it is Tony Baxter. The biggest fans would know regardless, but why bother with the effort of spinning his departure to everybody else? Why make it news and possibly let it get out that Walt Disney Imagineering isn't a magical place of unicorns and rainbows?

WDW1974

Original Poster
No, she did not attempt to explain anything. She was basically gathering my opinion without commenting.

They have very strict orders about actually commenting ... good ... bad ... agreeing ... disagreeing ... that can all be construed as legally the position of WDW Co, so basically the interaction is watered down to letting guests and rant and repeating talking points and asking questions.

WDW1974

Original Poster
5-100 people from WDWMagic account for 0.0005 % of the Magic Kingdom's yearly attendance. They dont care about us.

Slight correction: they don't care about anyone in particular until you MAKE them care. And it can be done ... from talking to media and financial analysts ... to making sure politicians see things you're concerned about ... you absolutely can influence things in countless ways.

Letter-writing is probably a waste of the time in 95% of instances, but not always ... it depends on who's writing, what the isssue is, who is reading and what type of 'damage' it opens the company up to.

WDW1974

Original Poster

Nah ... although my minions of Disney Destruction and Hate on the ground in O-Town are keeping their eyes and ears open.

I just started a new thread where we could place all George sightings and related news. Feel free to drop by anytime and grab a cold one from the fridge ...

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Slight correction: they don't care about anyone in particular until you MAKE them care. And it can be done ... from talking to media and financial analysts ... to making sure politicians see things you're concerned about ... you absolutely can influence things in countless ways.

Letter-writing is probably a waste of the time in 95% of instances, but not always ... it depends on who's writing, what the isssue is, who is reading and what type of 'damage' it opens the company up to.

You can start a website and demand change... you can save Disney... maybe name the site SaveDisney.com. Nobody would do that though, it just wouldn't work.

WDW1974

Original Poster
If someone found Tony's...ummm...resignation a TOTAL SHOCK, they really haven't been paying attention.

The continuing lack of any coverage on the official blog does seem odd. I'm not saying it means that Tony is now a persona non grata...but...

Reckon we should take Mongello's report as "official"?

No one. ... NO ONE that calls themselves a fan of Imagineering and has watched Tony's career go into hibernation since the 21st century began could possibly view this as even remotely surprising.

This really has been coming for a good dozen years ... how he hung on this long amazes me.

lazyboy97o

Tony is the biggest... But they didn't mention the previous Wdi people leaving before did they? I don't remember any
Who would constitute big and has left since the Blog started? Tim Delaney and Valerie Edwards left as it was starting up in 2009. Who else since then has left?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Tony is the biggest... But they didn't mention the previous Wdi people leaving before did they? I don't remember any

Can't recall.

But past folks were out and out fired and the spin on Tony is that he resigned, which is true but in no way comes close to telling the tale of either the last 12 years or the last few weeks of his 'employment' ...

... the point is, though, by not placing anything out there (and, again, I'm sure they have orders not to ... they don't get to create most content, let alone content about prominent folks leaving the company) they make it look even less like an amicable parting -- which it most definitely wasn't -- and more like a shove out the door.

For people who aim to control the message, Disney does a very crappy job at it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom