Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

openendedsky

Your photo safari was interrupted as-"something went wrong!"-your guide gets a call that there are poachers who killed an elephant and have captured "Baby Red," a young elephant. You "save" the elephant from the poachers. The elephant is an obvious fake, a cheap AA, which works fine for the Jungle Cruise, but when you put it in at the end of the Safaris, guests went away wondering how many of the other animals they just saw were fakes. Not exactly what you want happening in your very expensive new safari ride, with real animals. And a safari is certainly exciting enough without a lame, preachy "story" about conservation.

It was a hideous pockmark on an otherwise perfect attraction.
Thanks for the info, and I definitely agree. It's relatively long as well and suits its own purpose without needing some sort of story to support it.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
@Clever Name

Alright, from wikipedia -
"In 2007-9, the trucks were extended with an extra row of seating, allowing for more capacity. Also, the safari script/story, along with the Wilson/Jobson story has significantly changed. There is less of a story about "Little Red", and more about the animals in the Reserve and the need to find a lost elephant at the end. This led to a somewhat confused plot in which guests are searching for a lost "mother elephant" and eventually find her baby which, according to the story, had already been safe the whole time.
The ride originally featured a cast member in the role of a gun-toting reserve warden who captured the poachers and saved Big Red and Little Red. This element of the attraction was eventually eliminated. During Cast Previews of Disney's Animal Kingdom, there was a "Dark Ending" in which the safari vehicle encountered the slaughtered corpse of Big Red. This scene proved too shocking for families and children, and thus was eventually changed to give the attraction a happier ending.
Long before the safari or even Walt Disney World opened, Walt Disney wanted to use real African animals for the river attraction Jungle Cruise at Disneyland. However, due to several reasons, Audio-Animatronics replicas were placed instead.
In July 2010 it was announced that guests will soon be able to go on "guided treks" around the savannah. This will include areas that are not part of the regular ride experience.[1]
On February 10, 2012 it was announced that the "Little Red" portion of the ride was to be removed, and replaced with a zebra exhibit. It has been confirmed that the ride will remain open during construction, and this exhibit opened in the fall of 2012.[2]"

Looks like the dead elephant story line was removed pretty early..Now, I wonder if I saw it or just read about it. We were there about 2 months after opening, my parents, my fiance (now wife) and me. I mostly remember being awed by how beautiful the park was and thinking that they'll have to open more rides and whatnot soon. What a crazy thought process that turned out to be!

lazyboy97o

As I recall, they started out with a dead elephant at the end of the ride.
I remember that too, but that couldn't have lasted long. I'm thinking maybe the first 6 months or something the park was open. I really should quit now or look stuff up on the internetz.....
I think the dead elephant was removed before the park officially opened. I'd love to see photos/video of the scene.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I think the dead elephant was removed before the park officially opened. I'd love to see photos/video of the scene.

I'd be curious to see how far they went with the slaughtered corpse. My guess is that it wasn't too graphic, but going forward with just the idea might have proved too shocking for many.

Calvin Coolidge

I'd be curious to see how far they went with the slaughtered corpse. My guess is that it wasn't too graphic, but going forward with just the idea might have proved too shocking for many.

The fact that someone somewhere down the line thought guests wanted to see a dead elephant on their photo safari is one of the most representative anecdotes of mid- to late-90s Eisner's Disney.

Up there with thinking guests wanted a raft ride about deforestation.

asianway

So StitchKingdom (one of my least favorite people on the planet) has scooped all the lifestylers on what should be announced at the press event for the Monsterous Summer...

Highlights:
- May 24th - 24 hours at MK.
- "Monsterrail" wrap.
- Mike and Sully M&G at DHS.
- New Jokes at MILF.

Dont know the dude, but at least some of what he produces can pass for journalism.

Aquaduck and a new restaurant(Parrot Cay gone?) coming to the Magic seems bigger news to me.

PhotoDave219

Dont know the dude, but at least some of what he produces can pass for journalism.

Aquaduck and a new restaurant(Parrot Cay gone?) coming to the Magic seems bigger news to me.

Ive met him. Ive spent time with him. It was not a pleasant afternoon. Alas he does do good work and has good sources, or as much as someone from NYC can do.

I dont see any of this as real news when it comes to park expansion/redeveopments; I am interested to hear about the progress of the princess fairytale hall. However I would expect that if there were DHS announcements, it would have its own venue separate from a summer marketing event.

And frankly, its a marketing event - its not a press event.

Genie of the Lamp

So Transformers singage is up and a cast member working on the ride that was outside of it this past Wednesday was telling folks that a grand opening of this attraction should be on Friday June 21st with a soft opening beginning within the next week or so. Seaworld raised $702 mil in IPO and PETA just bought a decent chunk of shares in Seaworld stock-enough shares to give them "the right to attend and speak at annual meetings and to submit shareholder resolutions asking for policy changes." Stock sold for $30.56 at opening.
https://twitter.com/OrlandoInformer/status/324154028709773313/photo/1
http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2013/04/inside-the-classified-tour-of.html
While Uni should be/is Disney's main competition in the Orlando parks market, Seaworld and Legoland (once Merlin Entertainment files for IPO in the future) shouldn't be taken lightly as they are just as capable to eat into WDW attendance figures and striken concern to Burbank with new attractions/offerings coming in the few years.

asianway

So Transformers singage is up and a cast member working on the ride that was outside of it this past Wednesday was telling folks that a grand opening of this attraction should be on Friday June 21st with a soft opening beginning within the next week or so. Seaworld raised $702 mil in IPO and PETA just bought a decent chunk of shares in Seaworld stock-enough shares to give them "the right to attend and speak at annual meetings and to submit shareholder resolutions asking for policy changes." Stock sold for $30.56 at opening.

While Uni should be/is Disney's main competition in the Orlando parks market, Seaworld and Legoland (once Merlin Entertainment files for IPO in the future) shouldn't be taken lightly as they are just as capable to eat into WDW attendance figures and striken concern to Burbank with new attractions/offerings coming in the few years.
I still struggle with the concept that most Orlando bound vacationeers really care to trek out to the hinterlands for Legoland. If they cater to locals, maybe

openendedsky

I still struggle with the concept that most Orlando bound vacationeers really care to trek out to the hinterlands for Legoland. If they cater to locals, maybe
I can't remember where I found it (I think theledger.com), but they're doing a special for Polk County residents on select dates in May to get in the park for only 25~ dollars. I've yet to go and gauge how busy Legoland is, but it is kind of a trek for people staying in Orlando/Kissimmee and am not really surprised that they're running this kind of special.

Where exactly in the park is this?

djlaosc

If LEGOLAND want to get more vacationers over to LEGOLAND...
  • It needs to be packaged in with the Orlando Flexticket (USF/IOA/WNW/SWO/AQO) and the Orlando Flexticket Plus (USF/IOA/WNW/SWO/AQO/BGTB)
  • The LEGOLAND Shuttle needs to have more pickup stops (currently just at Orlando Premium Outlets: Vineland Avenue), and it needs to be free (currently $5)

openendedsky

Transformers: The Ride-3D? Smack dab in the middle of the park. The online park map PDF has yet to be updated but it replaced Soundstage 44, which is the building diagonally up and to your right from the "3" marking Shrek 4D.
https://www.universalorlando.com/Images/PrintableMapsUSF_tcm13-20825.pdf
It's in the Universal Studios Florida park in soundstage 44 where the old and temporary haunted house on Halloween Horror Nights used to be. There will also be an Express Pass line and a Single rider line as well right from the get go.
Okay, thanks! That's what I figured but just wanted to ask.

If LEGOLAND want to get more vacationers over to LEGOLAND...
  • It needs to be packaged in with the Orlando Flexticket (USF/IOA/WNW/SWO/AQO) and the Orlando Flexticket Plus (USF/IOA/WNW/SWO/AQO/BGTB)
  • The LEGOLAND Shuttle needs to have more pickup stops (currently just at Orlando Premium Outlets: Vineland Avenue), and it needs to be free (currently $5)

I haven't been, but it seemed to me like the ticket price for a place like Legoland was kind of outrageous.

Genie of the Lamp

They are working on broadening their base, but for now they are just catering to the locals the best they can and trying to get the point across that they are the cheaper alternative to the other parks like a USF or MK (Legoland-$75 plus tax for one day ticket per person vs. $89 plus tax for one day ticket per person for the other parks). I realize it's not much to go with here in the short term, but long term I truly feel they will improve their stance in the market for Orlando bound tourists. World of Chima should be a good start.

asianway

They are working on broadening their base, but for now they are just catering to the locals the best they can and trying to get the point across that they are the cheaper alternative to the other parks like a USF or MK (Legoland-$75 plus tax for one day ticket per person vs. $89 plus tax for one day ticket per person for the other parks). I realize it's not much to go with here in the short term, but long term I truly feel they will improve their stance in the market for Orlando bound tourists. World of Chima should be a good start.
Maybe, Id ask Cypress Gardens how that worked out for them. $15 isnt enough to get me to drive an hour each way.

luv

I had quit riding the safari ride because of the dumb and childishly preachy story. It annoyed me.

But I do love the animals and am very pleased with the ride as it is now. :)

They should educate the staff a little better, so they can all talk in depth about the animals. Otherwise, it's as great as it always should have been.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
He might think the castle would look better if it more closely resembled a giant pepto-bismal colored birthday cake.

Or he will....

1984 – Michael Eisner is named Disney's CEO and begins an aggressive expansion of Disney's theme parks division.
1985 – Disney begins a licensing agreement with MGM, giving Disney the right to use the MGM name and logo for the third park at Walt Disney World.
1988 – Construction on Euro Disney Resort begins. Bear Country is renamed Critter Country at Disneyland.
1989 – Walt Disney World's third theme park, Disney-MGM Studios, opens on May 1, and its second water park, Disney's Typhoon Lagoon, opens on June 1. Splash Mountain opens on July 17 at Disneyland.
1990 – Espace Euro Disney opens to show the public a preview of Euro Disney.
1992 – The second international Disney theme park, Euro Disneyland, opens as part of Euro Disney Resort in Marne-la-Vallée, France on April 12. Fantasmic! opens at Disneyland on May 13.
1993 – Mickey's Toontown opens at Disneyland on January 24.
1994 – Euro Disney Resort and its theme park, Euro Disneyland, are both renamed Euro Disneyland Paris in June, and then Disneyland Paris in October.
1995 – Disney announces plans for Walt Disney World's fourth theme park, Disney's Animal Kingdom. The third water park at Walt Disney World, Disney's Blizzard Beach, opens on April 1.
1996 – Walt Disney World celebrates its 25th anniversary on October 1.
1997 – Disney announces Disney California Adventure Park and Downtown Disney at Disneyland Resort.
1997 – Festival Disney, the shopping, dining and entertainment complex at Disneyland Paris, is renamed Disney Village.
1998 – Disney announces a five-year plan to open a new theme park at each of its resorts across the globe, beginning with the opening of Disney's Animal Kingdom on April 22. Submarine Voyage closes at Disneyland on September 9. The Disney Magic begins operation on July 8.
1999 – Plans are announced for a new resort in Hong Kong. The Disney Wonder cruise ship begins operation on August 15.
2000 – Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel opens at the Disneyland Resort on December 15.
2001 – Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa opens at the Disneyland Resort on January 2. Downtown Disney opens at the Disneyland Resort on January 12. Disney California Adventure Park opens at the Disneyland Resort on February 8. Tokyo DisneySea opens at Tokyo Disney Resort on September 4. River Country closes on November 2. "100 Years of Magic" Celebration begins to commemorate Walt Disney's 100th Birthday.
2002 – Walt Disney Studios Park opens March 16 as the second theme park at the renamed Disneyland Resort Paris. The first park is renamed Disneyland Park.
2003 – Construction on Hong Kong Disneyland begins. "100 Years of Magic" Celebration ends and "Where Magic Lives" campaign begins.
2004 - In Disney's California Adventure Park, The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror had been opened on May 5th.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom