- May 24th - 24 hours at MK.
- "Monsterrail" wrap.
- Mike and Sully M&G at DHS.
- New Jokes at MILF.
47831.gif

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
So StitchKingdom (one of my least favorite people on the planet) has scooped all the lifestylers on what should be announced at the press event for the Monsterous Summer...

Highlights:
- "Monsterrail" wrap.
- New Jokes at MILF.

Take that boy wizard! And you guys didn't think Disney would ever respond to super aggressive Uni. HA! Who's got all the momentum now!

WDWFigment

So StitchKingdom (one of my least favorite people on the planet) has scooped all the lifestylers on what should be announced at the press event for the Monsterous Summer...

Highlights:
- "Monsterrail" wrap.
- New Jokes at MILF.

New MILF jokes? Why bother...they never use the ones I send in now. "Too graphic," I guess...? ;)

openendedsky

A classic. The entire blog is worth reading, and I'm particularly fond of the "Myth of Story" one that precedes it (http://imagineerebirth.blogspot.com/2006/11/myth-of-story.html), which pretty expertly articulates the point I was trying to make. Sometimes the story works - I certainly think it worked well in Alien Encounter, and Tower of Terror, and a few others. But a ride doesn't need a story.

A perfect example of this is The Great Movie Ride. Does this ride really need a story? Does it add much to the attraction that your guide gets kidnapped? I'm not sure it does. I certainly don't think it'd be a lesser attraction if your guide stayed put and narrated the whole way through. It doesn't hurt the Jungle Cruise or, especially, Kilimanjaro Safaris. Getting rid of the contrived "story" of Kilimanjaro Safaris elevated the ride significantly. KS might be the prime example of how tacking on a "something goes wrong" plot to a ride is detrimental. Surely a premise of "photo safari through the African savanna" is sufficient to a world-class themed attraction.

Mystic Manor is successful in part because it doesn't really have a "story," it more has a "premise": What if you were in a museum of antiquities and everything came to life? This premise is applied to various gags and vignettes, similar to the way premises like "you are on a boat ride through the Spanish Main and there are pirates" or "you are in a mansion and it is full of ghosts" are applied to the old Marc Davis gags of the past. Some of Mystic Manor's gags are more effective than others, but I appreciate the effort that was put into them.
What was the story for Kilimanjaro previously? I only recently went (within the past few months), and the last time I had been was weeks or months (I can't really remember) after the park first opened.

Yes, it does add to the ride. The ride doesn't have any more story than Jungle Cruise except for this one bit, so I'm not sure why GMR is a "perfect example" of too much story. It's not like there is a Kingdom Keepers-like backstory where the villains from the movies are plotting together and we have to stop them! You're just going through movie scenes randomly and stuff happens. Don't remember ever getting the cowboy, but the gangster really spices up the ride. Actually, I'd kinda like to have the gangster for the whole ride. I bet he'd have some things to say about the Footlight Parade girls or to the Wicked Witch of the West. :D
Surprisingly I got the cowboy scene the last time I went with my boyfriend, because the park wasn't very crowded at all (about a 5-10 min wait for GMR) and I heard the cowboy scene isn't really done very often.

Which I, for one, would need if I wanted to go to the MK that day, as I'd be spending the bulk of it at Sea World to see the opening of Antarctica!

Antarctica, May 24. Very excited. :)
I really want to go. It's been years since I've been to Sea World and I've had a hankering of going back.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
What was the story for Kilimanjaro previously? I only recently went (within the past few months), and the last time I had been was weeks or months (I can't really remember) after the park first opened.
There was a little baby elephant, "Little Red" that you saved from poachers with the aid of park director, "Wilson". More recently, I think the baby elephant was just lost or something, but I didn't pay full attention to the plot. I kind of remember joking with the wife about everything having the Nemo story line.

openendedsky

There was a little baby elephant, "Little Red" that you saved from poachers with the aid of park director, "Wilson". More recently, I think the baby elephant was just lost or something, but I didn't pay full attention to the plot. I kind of remember joking with the wife about everything having the Nemo story line.
Sounds like I didn't really miss much then :p

Calvin Coolidge

Your photo safari was interrupted as-"something went wrong!"-your guide gets a call that there are poachers who killed an elephant and have captured "Baby Red," a young elephant. You "save" the elephant from the poachers. The elephant is an obvious fake, a cheap AA, which works fine for the Jungle Cruise, but when you put it in at the end of the Safaris, guests went away wondering how many of the other animals they just saw were fakes. Not exactly what you want happening in your very expensive new safari ride, with real animals. And a safari is certainly exciting enough without a lame, preachy "story" about conservation.

It was a hideous pockmark on an otherwise perfect attraction.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Your photo safari was interrupted as-"something went wrong!"-your guide gets a call that there are poachers who killed an elephant and have captured "Baby Red," a young elephant. You "save" the elephant from the poachers. The elephant is an obvious fake, a cheap AA, which works fine for the Jungle Cruise, but when you put it in at the end of the Safaris, guests went away wondering how many of the other animals they just saw were fakes. Not exactly what you want happening in your very expensive new safari ride, with real animals. And a safari is certainly exciting enough without a lame, preachy "story" about conservation.

It was a hideous pockmark on an otherwise perfect attraction.

Could've been cool if they had gun shot effects (spurt of air and water from the ground for example) when you heard the plane sounds and whatnot...If you're going to do something like that, you've got to go over the top. In general, I agree. There was no need for it.

lazyboy97o

Could've been cool if they had gun shot effects (spurt of air and water from the ground for example) when you heard the plane sounds and whatnot...If you're going to do something like that, you've got to go over the top. In general, I agree. There was no need for it.
I have not been on the attraction in over a year, but I recall there being gun shots when we neared the poachers. My biggest problem with them was that the audio of a gun shot just never really works (like the guns on the Jungle Cruise being much better at Disneyland versus the audio track used at the Magic Kingdom).

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I have not been on the attraction in over a year, but I recall there being gun shots when we neared the poachers. My biggest problem with them was that the audio of a gun shot just never really works (like the guns on the Jungle Cruise being much better at Disneyland versus the audio track used at the Magic Kingdom).

That's what I was getting at, with very lazy writing. Better and more robust effects were needed for the end to feel more dramatic. I may also be wrong, but I feel like the poacher story line was ditched for, I think the mom, being lost and we have to help her find the baby? I could be wrong, over the last 9 years all my trips have been with my offspring, so I'm much more distracted than I was during the trips that took place during the 3 decades previous.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese

Highlights:
- "Monsterrail" wrap.
- New Jokes at MILF.

OH YES! And we aren't contractually obliged to stay off the Epcot line!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom