Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Bob Iger was a local weatherman, then President of ABC, then President and COO. When Disney bought ABC, he was named COO and President of Disney after initially continuing his previous roles as head of ABC.

One little known fact is that Iger worked his way through school as a stripper before the sex change operation. Seems like an interesting tidbit and I've never understood why it is always left out.

Genie of the Lamp

It's a shame there's no more Wonderful World of Disney every Saturday or Sunday night as those were some of my favorite Disney memories just sitting by the fire up close to the tv watching the Disney classic that was on that night. Ahh the memories. So how bout Peter Pan on Disney Channel tonight. Disney needs to put movies on at night more frequently be it on DC or ABC Family cause movie family time still exists out their and people want to see the classics. With Disney Jr. showing the weekly animated movie feature on fridays, it does generate some serious views on the DC. Even Iger mentioned either at the shareholder meeting or at one of his CNBC pressconferences that some of their higher rated watched tv programs are the Disney movie weekend series. Start showing these more often weatherman so the kids of this generation and future ones realize what this company once offered to the real world. Tangled is a very well done animated film and the spin off story brought very fun and delightful characters that the audiences rooted for and fell in love with. I took advantage and watched it on ABC Family on saturday as well and I must say I enjoyed watching it that day just as much as I did the first time I watched it in theaters on November 10th 2010. To me it ranks below the 90s films and early 2000 Pixar films and Wreck It Ralph, but is most definitely better than Brave. Same goes for Princess and the Frog. Yes, it still proves WDFA can still crank out modern classic films. Problem is they don't really have the creative reigns nor creativite mindset in general to produce and create original material and are told to work with material that would bring in the most profit and not the property that brings forth the opportunity to get profit and implicit revenue from their movies. With more movies being made and produced by other divisions of this company now (Pixar, Marvel, LucasFilm), there's still no reason to believe that WDFA is in peril for the long term due to the inability to allocate enough creative/financial resources to that division and the layoff of certain high quality individuals. I'm seriously worried about the state of WDFA once Lasseter hits the wine farm and calls it quit. Face it, majority of Hollywood movie studios are running out of ideas hence their first motives are to go for sequels that enhance franchises tv shows that are related to some successful current material (ex. American Idol -> The Voice).

In terms of the Iger/weatherman article, that pretty much hit the spot in terms of how most of us here on this thread feel about the fearless leader of this company. Please wall street folk, make stock look good, create short term gains, let the long term play itself out and have the next one in line pick up after Iger's mess if necessary. I still believe Kennedy or Snider will become the next CEO of the company and the first women will become President and CEO of this company. Only way I see Staggs get the job is if Iger puts in a good word/recommendation to the shareholders then Staggs is most assuredly guaranteed to get the job. It doesn't suprise me though they'd want to go with an internal hire being that the company is looking very good on paper and they feel confident enough that if they'd go with an internal hire, they can keep on rolling with the steam and put this company in a good position to be financially set for the long haul and not have/see too much change to the current system/philosophies/culture in place.

To Mystic Manor, Jerry Rees said in his podcast when talking to Season Pass that the ride was scheduled to be soft opened by late April and be open to the public by the end of may. Looks like his prediction came a couple of weeks short as it will open May 17th. He should be over their now at HKDL doing press work for this attraction. HKDL seems to be recouperating well after the recent additions of Toy Story Play land, Grizzly Gulch, Mystic Point, and the Marvel land the park should definitely see some healthy future growth/gains. It seems though that more mainlanders are more excited for Shanghai Disneyland and who wouldn't be excited for the newest Disney park. I'd just like to hear more details as to what is going in that park (attractions, shops, restaurants, etc.) before I get my hopes up. Hopefully at D23 that is the case. So on Jerry Ree's site, I'd expect within the next week or so to see the EPCOT Mystery project uploaded to his site under the subsection of Disney Projects.

lazyboy97o

It seems though that more mainlanders are more excited for Shanghai Disneyland and who wouldn't be excited for the newest Disney park. I'd just like to hear more details as to what is going in that park (attractions, shops, restaurants, etc.) before I get my hopes up.
It'd be great to see an exhibit on Shanghai Disneyland at the China Pavilion like they had for Hong Kong Disneyland.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I actually don't dislike Tom... he has negatives like them all but I think he has a future as CEO of some company, if not this company ($DIS).

I would sincerely hope it's with another company. While it appears he has a soul, unlike Rasulo, he is still a business/numbers guy and isn't someone who looks to take chances. You need to when you run a MAGIC factory.

WDW1974

Original Poster
WDW used to have something for adults, I can't quite remember what it is was but something about an Island that had Pleasure, Adventurer's, some sort of Warehouse that laughed and other stuff.:p

WDW was more geared to adults. Period. Before and during PI's years. ... I used to go to the Tambu Lounge regularly and not trip over someone's brats like I always am doing now. I used to go to the bar at the Comtemporary (name is escaping me) before it became a gloried waiting area for a character meal.

EDIT: OUTER RIM!!!

Again, you think WDW has always been about kids? You are so way off. That is the current opinion based largely on social media and Mommy Bloggers.

Go watch the YouTube video of the 1987-88 WDW resort TV (no Aswad required with well rehearsed ad-libs) ... compare it with today. Then, come back and talk to me (but make it snappy because I won't be posting after tomorrow as I begin my Faux Top One Percent Spring Spirited Holiday!)

WDW1974

Original Poster
You're welcome on this lead, by the way, that I posted earlier today. :)

OK, so do you want a cookie?

I barely have time to be here these days and I don't read every post on even this thread. I do read Variety and THR daily and usually check in on Deadline.com as well ... for business ... and often find things that help explain what is going on at Disney and in the business.

WDW1974

Original Poster
How much better would the Fantasyland makeover be with a Tangled ride on the Snow White tracks instead of a princess meet-n-greet? It would immediately have crazy lines. Rapunzel is here to stay, IMO.

Imagine how much better the 'New Fantasyland' would be with just about anything ... I was even thinking they could use the Hunny Hunt/Mystic Manor tech to do a Dumbo dark ride under the big top ... imagine all the possibilities? ... How about taking a 21st century ride to Never Land or going on a Magic Carpet ride like Alladin and Jasmine that is NOT a spinner? How about a crazy chase trying to escape Cruella De Vil's clutches?

Possibilities are endless. Disney was cheap and lazy because they know they can get away with it. Simple as that.

the.dreamfinder

@Genie of the Lamp
I have a feeling that Skipper John will wait to retire when Iger is gone and a suitable replacement with VISION is found. I would bet Lasseter, along with Ike, George, Steven & Stacey, will have considerable sway over the CEO decision. There were rumblings at one point that Pete Docter would take his place...
Also, The Roy Disney Building is getting a very extensive refurb courtesy of Bohlin Cywinski Jackson, the folks who brought you the Fifth Ave. Apple Store and the Steve Jobs building, if they're going to put that much money into something like a renovation we'll be fine.
http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/2013/01/remodeling.html
Steve Hulett said:
Then there's Walt Disney Animation's Studios, soon to get a major remodel, according to sources, also from Pixar's designer. New lobby. New offices. New carpets. Can't wait to see how that turns out.

Another thing to note, some artists that live in SoCal have families and just can't uproot them to move to the Bay Area. One example would be someone like Rich Moore, director of Wreck it Ralph, who was pursued for some time to direct a feature at Pixar, but did not want to move his family.

WDW1974

Original Poster
In our defense, there still isn't a known cure for cooties.

I'm interested on your true opinions of the Imagineers you listed. Many of them get a bad rap (Fitzgerald and Eric Jacobsen) but they are still responsible for excellent content.

The girls I know don't have cooties. I demand they show me their papers, first! :)

What opinions are you seeking? I love Tony Baxter as a creative and someone who gets Disney and have said so many times, even though at many times he can (and has) acted like a petulant child. I think I like Joe more than many, but I have had a chance to know him a bit. I think Joe is much better at the big picture stuff (like the vision for DAK) than creating compelling content that is reliable (like EE).

As to the guys you listed, I don't like Fitz at all. Personal reasons, which I won't go into. But creatively he is fine when working with film and scripting shows. When he is in charge, well ... his very large weaknesses show.

Eric came up as Fitz's protege. I think he has some talent. He was lead designer of BB, which some say is the best water park anywhere. But Eric's total body of work doesn't add up in any way, shape or form to him being portfolio leader for three of the four WDW parks. Not at all.

Hey, Tim, your tie isn't straight and it's driving me crazy. Have you never been in front of a camera before?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Give it time. Rumor was that it is temporary. And there is a lot of logic to the princesses finding new digs some day to call their own. Perhaps they will be featured on "House Hunters International".

Even things that are officially temporary stick around 20 years. Things that are rumored to be temporary...?

Yep. That's just it.

Mickey's Birthday Land was supposed to be an 18-month deal. Parts of it still exist today.

The BAH was a marketing deal that was supposed to be there for two years. They're still deciding when it will be coming down (sooner rather than later).

WoL and World Showplace were given to Convention Services as temporary loans. Do you think attractions will ever see them again?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Anyone know what Iger's background was before he was elected CEO? I believe he came from ABC. Am I correct? What was his titled at ABC, if so? What was his title at Disney prior to CEO?

What was the value of the ABC merger? Was it all cash? All stock? Or both?

Read, Peter. Read.

Whether it's a book, a blog post or freaking wiki ... read ... the info is out there.

Californian Elitist

OK, so do you want a cookie?

I barely have time to be here these days and I don't read every post on even this thread. I do read Variety and THR daily and usually check in on Deadline.com as well ... for business ... and often find things that help explain what is going on at Disney and in the business.

It's clear he was just trying to acknowledge he posted it first.:rolleyes:

jt04

Yep. That's just it.

Mickey's Birthday Land was supposed to be an 18-month deal. Parts of it still exist today.

The BAH was a marketing deal that was supposed to be there for two years. They're still deciding when it will be coming down (sooner rather than later).

WoL and World Showplace were given to Convention Services as temporary loans. Do you think attractions will ever see them again?

Some people seem to think so. Everyone seems to be counting on something called 'spirited change'.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Great find. For all the hate Iger's bloated compensation checks attract, they're still not considered that outrageous by Wall Street standards. Which, if anything, might have more to say about the sad state of Wall Street than it does about Iger's leadership.

Wall Street exists in a UNIverse that is not reality.

So long as things like derivitives and negative credit default swaps and products such as those exist, Wall Street will remain a giant Ponzi Scheme that is mostly good for making the Top One Percent even wealthier on the backs of the rest of the folks they have to share the planet with.

Iger's compensation is grotesque when you compare it to what the average Disney employee makes ... the fact that there are worse out there does nothing to lessen the outrageousness of Iger's package (no jokes here!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom