Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

RSoxNo1

Another Disney circus has been playing out in the Twitverse of late as all sorts of American fanbois who will never leave the USA get lathered up over what looks like a great new addition to HKDL in Mystic Point and its signature Mystic Manor attraction.

I guess I'm bemused by it more than anything ... and it is being fed by a low/mid level designer at WDI-HK by the name of Andy Sinclair-Harris, who loves to tweet with the fanboi masses. But if you have any interest in the attraction, you should check out his Twit feed.

I believe he is working on the Marvel area that is coming next, but don't expect him to spill on that count.

EDIT: I did find this tweet amusing, though:
Andy Sinclair-Harris@1lowereastside 18 Apr
Just had a great Town Hall Meeting with Craig and Bruce. So exciting, a great time to be an Imagineer and the future is very, very bright.

Yes, the future is very bright if you're under 40 and make very little and do what you're told. If you have decades with the company like a Tony Baxter, a Joe Rohde, a Tom Fitzgerald, a Tom Morris etc, then it may be the worst time to ever be an Imagineer. I'd say you should ask our resident Imagineer, but topics like this seem to be scary to him, so he avoids them like most fanbois avoid girls.
In our defense, there still isn't a known cure for cooties.

I'm interested on your true opinions of the Imagineers you listed. Many of them get a bad rap (Fitzgerald and Eric Jacobsen) but they are still responsible for excellent content.

culturenthrills

On a late to the game subject as I began packing tonight for my latest Faux Top One Percent Spring Holiday, I wound up finally catching Tangled on ABC Family.

Frankly, (no, not talking to you, JT) I think the film deserves more than a toilet complex at the MK. It was absolutely wonderful ... and I watched with my 73-year-old Dad who said 'Disney can still make great films' ... so I'm a bit sorry sorry it took so long to catch up and see it. ... Now, I have plans to see Oz, Iron Man 3 and Star Trek Into Darkness (two days before it opens nationally!) and I keep seeing more films I'd like to see ... even, dare I say it, the latest Tom Cruise sci-fi flick.

As for Tangled, I'd put it right up there with all but the very best Disney 90s and Pixar 00s films. It was certainly better than both Brave and Wreck It Ralph and I liked both of those quite a bit.

The "I See The Light" scene in that movie is one of the most beautiful scenes of CG animation I have ever seen. It brought tears to my eyes.

jt04

How much better would the Fantasyland makeover be with a Tangled ride on the Snow White tracks instead of a princess meet-n-greet? It would immediately have crazy lines. Rapunzel is here to stay, IMO.

Give it time. Rumor was that it is temporary. And there is a lot of logic to the princesses finding new digs some day to call their own. Perhaps they will be featured on "House Hunters International".

PhotoDave219

You forgot the part about Manager 1 makes budget cuts so he can get a bigger bonus, then get promoted, then Manager 2 has to stay below that budget so he makes more cuts so he gets his bonus, then Manager 3 has to make more cuts to get his/her bonus. That's why depts like Entertainment and Maintenance keep on slashing budgets, so things are always getting cut or not maintained and then they add nothing to replace it.

Thats a much better example, yes.

PeterAlt

Yeah, a lot like Mickey's Birthdayland was a temporary land in 1988. "Temporary" only meant 23 years that time.
Did you know that the buses were never supposed to be permanent? It was "temporary" until monorail or other form of transit replaced it. I guess this could mean another 24-50 years of buses.

PeterAlt

Anyone know what Iger's background was before he was elected CEO? I believe he came from ABC. Am I correct? What was his titled at ABC, if so? What was his title at Disney prior to CEO?

What was the value of the ABC merger? Was it all cash? All stock? Or both?

PeterAlt

Are you a fan of the monorails?
Why would you think that?

I'm a fan if monorails, people movers, PRT, GRT, etc. I'm a fan of automation, grade separation, and new technologies, including propulsion, applied to the problem of moving people around conveniently, efficiently, comfortably, affordably, safely, and quickly.

FrankLapidus

Anyone know what Iger's background was before he was elected CEO? I believe he came from ABC. Am I correct? What was his titled at ABC, if so? What was his title at Disney prior to CEO?

What was the value of the ABC merger? Was it all cash? All stock? Or both?

I think Iger was president/COO of ABC at the time. I believe that's the position he held at Disney before he succeeded Eisner too.

FrankLapidus

Why would you think that?

I'm a fan if monorails, people movers, PRT, GRT, etc. I'm a fan of automation, grade separation, and new technologies, including propulsion, applied to the problem of moving people around conveniently, efficiently, comfortably, affordably, safely, and quickly.

You just seem to reference them a lot. Don't get me wrong I'm glad you do, I've learned some interesting stuff about them from your posts, I was just wondering whether you were a monorail enthusiast.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think Iger was president/COO of ABC at the time. I believe that's the position he held at Disney before he succeeded Eisner too.

That sounds right to me. He was in line for the top seat at ABC before the merger. From reading Disney War it seems Eisner was not a fan of Iger.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom