Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

PeterAlt

You just seem to reference them a lot. Don't get me wrong I'm glad you do, I've learned some interesting stuff about them from your posts, I was just wondering whether you were a monorail enthusiast.
I was being sarcastic in that first sentence because I seem to be driving some people crazy by my enthusiasm. I wish they shared my enthusiasm and weren't being driven crazy by it.

FrankLapidus

That sounds right to me. He was in line for the top seat at ABC before the merger. From reading Disney War it seems Eisner was not a fan of Iger.

Yeah, from the book I got the impression that Iger wasn't a fan of the idea of a Disney acquisition either. Worked out well for him in the end though, he proved to be very savvy in the Save Disney campaign.

FrankLapidus

But he hand selected him to succeed him... Change of heart?

In DisneyWar I think it says that Eisner initially recommended Senator George Mitchell as his successor but Roy E. Disney and Stanley Gold shot that down because of the close relationship between Eisner and Mitchell that they felt would give Eisner too much influence even if he stepped aside. I don't think Roy or Gold wanted Iger either at first but he won them round when he proved a lot more willing to work alongside them and take their ideas on board. I think the Pixar deal was a big step in the right direction for Iger at the time, it proved he was willing to mend the bridges that Eisner had unwisely burned.

MarkTwain

So, it seems that Mr. Iger is considered a top bargain CEO compared to other CEO's:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hollywoods-top-ceos-see-compensation-439825?page=2

Mr. Iger's hourly full time salary in 2012: $13,340 an hr. Average full time worker hourly salary in the U.S.A: $19.77 (Source: AFL-CIO). #10 on highest paid CEO's list consisting of S&P 500 companies and DIS is the 2nd most profitable Entertainment Conglomerate.

Great find. For all the hate Iger's bloated compensation checks attract, they're still not considered that outrageous by Wall Street standards. Which, if anything, might have more to say about the sad state of Wall Street than it does about Iger's leadership.

PeterAlt

In DisneyWar I think it says that Eisner initially recommended Senator George Mitchell as his successor but Roy E. Disney and Stanley Gold shot that down because of the close relationship between Eisner and Mitchell that they felt would give Eisner too much influence even if he stepped aside. I don't think Roy or Gold wanted Iger either at first but he won them round when he proved a lot more willing to work alongside them and take their ideas on board. I think the Pixar deal was a big step in the right direction for Iger at the time, it proved he was willing to mend the bridges that Eisner had unwisely burned.
Very interesting. Sounds like I should buy this book! Is it on iBooks? If so, I could just read it on my iPad. I read this other book during the 90's that followed Eisner's career at ABC and Paramount and his first decade at Disney. Sounds like the book you mentioned picks up where the one I read left off. It was a great book. I just can't remember its name!

FrankLapidus

Very interesting. Sounds like I should buy this book! Is it on iBooks? If so, I could just read it on my iPad. I read this other book during the 90's that followed Eisner's career at ABC and Paramount and his first decade at Disney. Sounds like the book you mentioned picks up where the one I read left off. It was a great book. I just can't remember its name!

Is it Work in Progress? Or something along those lines?

I'd definitely recommend DisneyWar, it spans all of Eisner's time at the company and is based on testimony from the major players in that time, including Eisner. I'm not sure whether it's on iBooks but if it is on it's definitely worth buying, it's very informative and very interesting.

PeterAlt

Is it Work in Progress? Or something along those lines?

I'd definitely recommend DisneyWar, it spans all of Eisner's time at the company and is based on testimony from the major players in that time, including Eisner. I'm not sure whether it's on iBooks but if it is on it's definitely worth buying, it's very informative and very interesting.
I think it had Magic Kingdom in the title... Like Keys to the Magic Kingdom or something to that effect.

FrankLapidus

I think it had Magic Kingdom in the title... Like Keys to the Magic Kingdom or something to that effect.

I'm not sure about that one. I know he wrote one called Work In Progress but in DisneyWar he says that he doesn't really like that book because it was censored by lawyers who made him take out some of the things he'd written.

PeterAlt

The Keys to the Kingdom: The Rise of Michael Eisner and the Fall of Everybody Else by Kim Masters.

The Magic Kingdom: Walt Disney and the American Way of Life by Steven Watts is also another good book, and probably my favorite biography of Walt.
Can you give me a link to a description and I can tell you I that was it or not. It also went into detail about how the company was pre-Eisner and how the Brain Trust was put together by Roy Disney... I don't remember "Fall of Everyone Else" being part of the title and don't think it was written by a woman.

misterID

On a late to the game subject as I began packing tonight for my latest Faux Top One Percent Spring Holiday, I wound up finally catching Tangled on ABC Family.

Frankly, (no, not talking to you, JT) I think the film deserves more than a toilet complex at the MK. It was absolutely wonderful ... and I watched with my 73-year-old Dad who said 'Disney can still make great films' ... so I'm a bit sorry sorry it took so long to catch up and see it. ... Now, I have plans to see Oz, Iron Man 3 and Star Trek Into Darkness (two days before it opens nationally!) and I keep seeing more films I'd like to see ... even, dare I say it, the latest Tom Cruise sci-fi flick.

As for Tangled, I'd put it right up there with all but the very best Disney 90s and Pixar 00s films. It was certainly better than both Brave and Wreck It Ralph and I liked both of those quite a bit.

Tangled is on the same level as Bolt (same writer, and I liked Bolt... a lot) but is nowhere near BATB level. But I would put it above Cars 2 and just under the The Incredibles (my Favorite PIXAR film).

Oh, and speaking of Tom Cruise, sci-fi films... Just wait until "All You Need Is Kill."

PhotoDave219

Anyone know what Iger's background was before he was elected CEO? I believe he came from ABC. Am I correct? What was his titled at ABC, if so? What was his title at Disney prior to CEO?

What was the value of the ABC merger? Was it all cash? All stock? Or both?

Yes, Iger came from ABC.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Anyone know what Iger's background was before he was elected CEO? I believe he came from ABC. Am I correct? What was his titled at ABC, if so? What was his title at Disney prior to CEO?

What was the value of the ABC merger? Was it all cash? All stock? Or both?

Bob Iger was a local weatherman, then President of ABC, then President and COO. When Disney bought ABC, he was named COO and President of Disney after initially continuing his previous roles as head of ABC.

PeterAlt

Bob Iger was a local weatherman, then President of ABC, then President and COO. When Disney bought ABC, he was named COO and President of Disney after initially continuing his previous roles as head of ABC.
A weatherman? Same with David Letterman! The American Dream is alive and well! Now I can feel better and collect my food stamps! Lol

PeterAlt

Yes but you need to read "Disneywar." Its required reading.
Gotcha! The book I mentioned is also required reading and is the basis of much of my opinions and background knowledge. Since I read that, I bought something like 1,000 Disney shares on the blind faith of Michael Eisner. It split multiple times and quadrupled in value and I sold it right before the Michael Ovitz debacle.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Gotcha! The book I mentioned is also required reading and is the basis of much of my opinions and background knowledge. Since I read that, I bought something like 1,000 Disney shares on the blind faith of Michael Eisner. It split multiple times and quadrupled in value and I sold it right before the Michael Ovitz debacle.

I am not sure if I would purchase $DIS right now, though it might still be a good buy. Without looking too deeply into the company, I think there are huge risks. There are some companies right now I am thinking of buying a paycheck's worth of shares.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom