Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

WDW1974

Original Poster
I recently watched the godawful 2013 Disney vacation planning DVD. For a second, we'll forget that I ordered the DL 'version' and stated that I would NOT be traveling with any children because well, the dirty little secret is it appears that they no longer produce more than one DVD for all the USA Disney Parks and you can skip and choose what you watch. I guess it would be too expensive for a media company the size of TWDC to produce maybe 5-6 versions that highlight what the potential guests are actually interested in.

That said, they didn't even attempt to veil that it was something likely put together with input from the Mommy Bloggers. Forget about singles or adult couples or older empty-nesters. Hell, forget about families.

If you want to wind up with alcohol poisoning, grab a bottle of tequila (only the Spirited good stuff) and take a shot every time they use the word 'kids' ... seriously, I think they used it about two dozen times in the first five minutes of a DVD that is almost two hours long if you play all the sections.

Disney has bought into the myth that the only guests that matter are kids under the age of 11 and the mommies who hold the pursestrings. It does make me wonder if/how they'll compete when UNI keeps upping its game for folks of all ages, not simply the stroller brigade.

asianway

Nope. I'd like to believe that Disney will actually announce tenants and specifics at its press event/junket next week. But they may announce very little as well.
Was the last up the first time they did a merch preview? Wondering if we will see that again...

WDW1974

Original Poster
I would hope to hear some more news/announcements on DS at the Monstrous Summer press event next week (Tuesday April 25th-Wednesday April 26th). Hopefully they will announce some vendors/tenants coming into DS. I mean, it's a 2 day event, so they should be able to talk about the DS development right?

Genie, Disney is very good at non-announcement announcements as their recent DS circus showed. ... The only good thing about it (for me) is the timing. I'll be on 'holiday' and not have to read/comment on whatever they announce. Y'all can bother my pal @Lee with your comments and questions ... he's recently over a mid-life crisis and ready for discussion board action!

Oh, and your dates confused me at first. Next Wednesday (a week from today) is April 24th, Tuesday is the 23rd ... got your dates off, which made me wonder about my vacation plans!

RSoxNo1

I recently watched the godawful 2013 Disney vacation planning DVD. For a second, we'll forget that I ordered the DL 'version' and stated that I would NOT be traveling with any children because well, the dirty little secret is it appears that they no longer produce more than one DVD for all the USA Disney Parks and you can skip and choose what you watch. I guess it would be too expensive for a media company the size of TWDC to produce maybe 5-6 versions that highlight what the potential guests are actually interested in.

That said, they didn't even attempt to veil that it was something likely put together with input from the Mommy Bloggers. Forget about singles or adult couples or older empty-nesters. Hell, forget about families.

If you want to wind up with alcohol poisoning, grab a bottle of tequila (only the Spirited good stuff) and take a shot every time they use the word 'kids' ... seriously, I think they used it about two dozen times in the first five minutes of a DVD that is almost two hours long if you play all the sections.

Disney has bought into the myth that the only guests that matter are kids under the age of 11 and the mommies who hold the pursestrings. It does make me wonder if/how they'll compete when UNI keeps upping its game for folks of all ages, not simply the stroller brigade.
I've got this sitting at home, thanks for the warning.

Bolna

Normally, I never get these DVDs since they don't send them overseas (or only to the UK). But last year a dear friend got me one to watch and I was mainly shocked that they had the announcer sitting in a studio that looked so nondescript. There was nothing Disney about it, it looked more like the studio they use at my local TV station. I could not understand how Disney would not put more effort into that since it is the first impression you got when starting the DVD. I guess they haven't improved on that?

WDW1974

Original Poster
@WDW1974
Wow, exciting times are ahead at Universal. I was already impressed with the upcoming offerings I've heard about: Transformers(2013), Simpsons (2013),
London/Diagon Alley (2014)
Jurassic Park expansion (2014/2015?)
Kidzone redo (2016?)
Suessland ride (?)

But to hear that a water park and third gate are in the works is blowing my mind.
I'm dying to find out what direction this new theme park will take. It stands to reason that Universal will want to go in a fresh direction, something that will make this new park distinct from Io9 and the Studios.
The mind boggles at what they'll cook up.

Just wanted to flesh out (a bit) what the strategy here is. UNI (and Burke and Co.) are going full-in on the fact they see a weakness with Disney and untapped strengths with both their existing properties and those yet to come. It isn't all that different from when Eisner and Wells took over TWDC and saw WDW as largely undeveloped swampland (it was) with all sorts of possibilities.

Their goal is by the end of the decade to be realistic competition to Disney, to outdraw at least two of Disney's parks, to have the WOW water park (this is going to be tough because both Disney and SW have GREAT H2O parks), to consistently open new and cutting edge attractions (some thrill, some family, but not ones that are geared simply for the under 7 crowd that Disney covets) and not have years go by without new things, to add entertainment seasonally and to have a stable of their own hotels/resorts with service far above what you get on average at WDW.

It's a very bold and evolving plan, but it is incredibly exciting and sorta reminds me of when ME announced the Disney Decade back at the Anaheim Convention Center in 1990. If UNI is able to do just 75% of what they want (and unlike Disney I don't see them getting cold feet), then Disney isn't going to be able to just sit back because they'll be losing significant market share and all the DVCs they build won't prevent those 'owners' from using them for UNI vacations and maybe a day at EPCOT if they want to wind down from all the excitement.

Animaniac93-98

Robert Downey Jr. isn't cheap. He got paid 50 million for playing IM in The Avengers.

OZ cost 350 to make and market. It has to make around 700 million to break even.

Singles and doubles sound really good right about now!

I would have figured RDJ's pay was included in the original budget. I think the extra $60 million was for other things (20% more CGI explosions?).

I know of Oz's numbers, I just don't think they're well spent or tracked. The $700 million break even number should have been a major red flag.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I've heard musings that they may still own some of the old 2,000 acre lockheed martin property that they had purchased around 1999-2000, then sold off to many buyers. I've also heard that since most of it was never developed, they could even purchase it back for LESS than they sold it for.

I can only say their plans are evolving, but they are acquiring additional land and repurposing some existing (some they own, some they will be purchasing).

WDW1974

Original Poster
Apparently this thread made twitter with people talking about the rumor of UOR's 3rd park.

They love me in the Twitverse ... well, except for Phil (but to be fair he hates anyone that says one bad word against Disney, so he hates everyone here, everyone on Micechat, everyone on LP.com. everyone on OU, everyone everywhere ...) ... but he is amusing.:)

djlaosc

I would like to sit and watch the 2013 Vacation Planning DVD, but Disney have decided that if you are living outside of the US/Canada, then it's fine to just make everyone watch some clips on their website! We can't get a DVD across here, and haven't for years (2009/2010?). You have to either find a torrent online, get a friend to send you one, or get it sent to your hotel to pick up when you arrive (which goes against the idea of getting the DVD to help you plan your vacation, especially with MyMagic+/NextGen coming up.)

Instead, we get... (I don't know whether you will be able to see this)

My Disney Video Online:
http://disneyvideoplanner.co.uk/

2013 Brochure (which you can order):
http://wdtc.disneyinternational.com/VPK/Brochure.asp?VPK=Brochure13

The Little Big Book of Magic (which you can order, but which is still the 2011 edition):
http://wdtc.disneyinternational.com/VPK/Brochure.asp?VPK=Guide

You can still attempt to order a Universal (2011) DVD, but it's out of stock so you don't know if/when you'll get one (I did get one last year though), and you can get a 2013 brochure, and you can order a SeaWorld Parks DVD, but that is 2010/2011 as well.

It's almost as if they don't want to get people to plan their holidays, and just hope that everyone knows what's there...

WDW1974

Original Poster
The other comment I was going to make was about Oz making over $500 million and still being in the red. Is anyone at Disney paying attention to how much money they're blowing on these tentpole pictures? I think when the budget for Iron Man 3 went from $140 to $200 million they just pulled out that random number without ever really thinking about where it was going to go.

Iron Man 3 will be huge at the BO. ... But again, folks will forget what it cost to make and to market. They've long since forgot the $$$ that Paramount gets from it. They just will look at one number and think DISNEY RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The tentpole/sequel strategy can only work for so long. ... You think there's going to be an audience for Pirates 7 or Thor 4?

WDW1974

Original Poster
I've got this sitting at home, thanks for the warning.

I wanted to have a group screening with MAGICal members so we could take it apart and get drunk together.

As bad as you think it is, trust me, it is much, much worse.

If I were someone looking to take my first WDW trip (and didn't have KIDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), then I would be making plans to go elsewhere after viewing it.

I was praying for a Stacey Aswad appearance!

WDW1974

Original Poster
Normally, I never get these DVDs since they don't send them overseas (or only to the UK). But last year a dear friend got me one to watch and I was mainly shocked that they had the announcer sitting in a studio that looked so nondescript. There was nothing Disney about it, it looked more like the studio they use at my local TV station. I could not understand how Disney would not put more effort into that since it is the first impression you got when starting the DVD. I guess they haven't improved on that?

Nope ... same HGTV type bland studio with no Disney presence (no characters, no art, no music), same bland woman. And some footage that dates back 20 years. ... Oh, and I get that Disney wants to be diverse, but I see who visits WDW and unless they took all the footage during a Steve Harvey event, they went over the top to present an inaccurate view of how many African-Americans can afford to visit.

asianway

Nope ... same HGTV type bland studio with no Disney presence (no characters, no art, no music), same bland woman. And some footage that dates back 20 years. ... Oh, and I get that Disney wants to be diverse, but I see who visits WDW and unless they took all the footage during a Steve Harvey event, they went over the top to present an inaccurate view of how many African-Americans can afford to visit.
Ever see them film a segment for one of these things? There's three different "families" that have footage taped of them

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom