Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

HMF

As somebody who also really dislikes the preplanning aspects I am not sure how much of the expense could have been avoided. I think a lot of the infrastructure upgrades (like so many around property) were going to have to occur at some point lest Disney not be able to keep up with changing expectations of the hospitality industry or be stuck maintaining a dying system. Others have already been offering these types of services to great fanfare. I really do think touch-to-enter hotel rooms and touch-to-pay systems are going to be wide-spread expectations. It's also not much new over the existing system where one card can be used as your hotel key, admission media and payment medium.

Where I think Disney is foolish is in their belief that they can leapfrog everybody else who has been moving forward in these directions and so improve upon the concept that it in of itself becomes a large draw to vacationing at Walt Disney World. It's Pleasure Island all over again. They've abandoned what was their (attractions, service, physical experience) in the hopes that what is to come will be something better.
I must say that I have no qualms with touch to pay systems, In fact I find the concept intriguing and convenient. My issue is the hassle and inconvenience of having to plan things out months in advance and the invasion of privacy this initiative entails which I have strong moral objections to and the lack of ethics that I see from the top brass at the Walt Disney Company give me good reasons not to trust them.

disneyflush

After reading the last 15 or so pages of this thread it occurs to me that this is the most joyless thread I've ever seen. There are too many people (who are usually fantastic and fun posters) seeing this MM+ initiative as some kind of new land and rushing to thrust their flag into the ground and claim its success or failure as a validation of their own business acumen. Sure its fun to say, "This will work!" or "This will fail!" in a light discussion but the bellicose ferocity of the arguments in this thread has turned hostile and uncomfortable to read.

Clever Name

After reading the last 15 or so pages of this thread it occurs to me that this is the most joyless thread I've ever seen. There are too many people (who are usually fantastic and fun posters) seeing this MM+ initiative as some kind of new land and rushing to thrust their flag into the ground and claim its success or failure as a validation of their own business acumen. Sure its fun to say, "This will work!" or "This will fail!" in a light discussion but the bellicose ferocity of the arguments in this thread has turned hostile and uncomfortable to read.
I've noticed that as well. Specifically, after a large thread runs for about 1,000 posts, the bellicosity increases to a bothersome level. However, I have a solution! I suggest that for threads of this nature that are about to reach the 1,000 posts level, that a mandatory intermission be included. You will be forced to watch an episode of the Jerry Springer or Maury Povich show. That will give posters the opportunity to shed most of their hostility. "WDW74 you are NOT the father!"

WDW1974

Original Poster

Mr Bill

OK, so I was playing around this morning with the mostly-useless-at-this-point (OK, you can make ADRs) My Experience "app." Where I'm imagining FP+ will eventually live there is a description of "reminders" you can set for stuff like Illuminations.

I'm headed down in a week or so to check out the Flower & Garden fest and the new Food & Wine offerings, so I took a glance at the Illuminations page, and voila! I see now how Disney is planning on keeping crowd levels stable for stuff like fireworks and parades. I'm confident that having folks view Illuminations from WL will definitely help me in obtaining a good spot alongside the WS lagoon, which IMHO feel is a better spot than the Nature Trail... no dissing intended, mr/mrs App Developer... keep up the great work!

badapp_zps65a2b963.png

Japan? China? Eh, close enough. Call it a day.

ixCrG5N.png

flynnibus

Premium Member

Funny.. I always wanted to see women treated the same as men in sexual harrasment cases.. but here's a juicy one. Girl on Girl.. and the 3rd leg is a guy who gets fired for reporting one of them? that's a fun one.

But harassment cases aren't much fun without photos :D

It's sad that any advancement risks being labeled 'sexual harassment' now.. maybe in a generation or two we'll just mail our sperm away to a escrow holder who will negotiate handing it off to a woman who will bear children.

Funmeister

I would hope not. You just have to be realistic. Deciding as a teen that there's only one company you want to work for is extremely limiting and isn't a smart strategy for your life.

If you want to do the CP, then do it. I don't know anyone who has done it that hasn't enjoyed their time. But you need to understand that it usually doesn't lead to anything. A professional internship is quite different and valuable. If you can get one of those, you absolutely should. because that can help you land a job with other employers. It can help with Disney, but it absolutely doesn't guarantee a thing. I have a friend doing one right now in Resorts.

But the best advice I could ever give you is don't pin all your hopes on one company. Find out what you are good at and try and be the best and learn other skills/disciplines as well and then see where you are at.

Remember too...doing an advanced internship as a Guest Service Manager is NOT an executive position nor will you become one by working in this role. Maybe years ago...but not now.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Antarctica is looking more and more impressive by the day. Soft opening dates are beginning to leak, as well. I'll keep some items about that off board.

Yes. It does sound impressive. I didn't even realize there was a large restaurant included until recently.

I'm just going to have to hit someone up for some free tickets!

WDW1974

Original Poster
I wonder if ST 2.0 isn't too far behind?

I still want them to build Tim Delaney's Pirates land, if they built that as planned by him, HKDL would be doing very, very well. Wow your audience into coming. It takes money to make money... just ask UNI/Comcast!!

No. From what I've been told Marvel won out over Star Wars in HK. ... Shanghai may well be the opposite as Disney really has to keep those parks as different and unique as possible or else they'll face thr wrath of the dragon.

As for Delaney's concept, sadly, it'll wind up in the next Imagineering coffee table book (maybe 3-4 years from now). His Pirates Mountain attraction, which went thru many changes, was much more of a traditional AA attraction filled with PoC films IP that turned into a water coaster. A VERY impressive attraction and entire area.

WDW1974

Original Poster
For what it's worth, the wait times on the app are also flat-out WRONG.

I've never needed an APP to visit WDW in hundreds of days (could it be more? scary!) I don't need one now. I don't want to need one. I don't want someone bumping into me because instead of taking in the beauty of DAK they are walking with their head down into their iPhone.

That they are wrong just is more fodder for my contention that Disney can't get anything right with technology (this dates back well into the 90s when they couldn't handle sign-ups for merchandise events at DL) and they shouldn't be given any benefit of the doubt as the horror stories pour in.

But Fred and Mary Jenkins of Erie, Penn. (and kids Brandon 11, Kayla 8, Coy 6 and Miranda 3) guess what? I just canceled your Christmas vacation at the WL ... but I did reschedule you for next week at the Boardwalk in a two-bedroom villa. Enjoy the stay! I'll make sure Mickey leaves ya something special in the room!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom