Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

MattM

One part of what Lee considers his legacy is that he took the types of french fries that they served across property from what was somewhere around 14 different kinds (some would term that as variety) down to 2 (what I consider to be "Wal-Marting").

I see. That is a bit of a head scratcher in terms of why you would tout that as a good thing, I guess.

IWant2GoNow

Like much of NextGen, this seems to follow the successful cruise ship model. Cruise lines prize themselves on hiring staff who seemingly know passengers' names before they even arrive, which most people like. That said, I think this works a lot better in a hotel (where "Good morning, Mr. Smith." on arrival would be most welcome) than a theme park.

I remember my second trip to WDW with my parents. We stayed at POFQ & when we arrived at the gate the gentleman there asked our name & my father replied with our last name & he paused a second then asked if my father's first name was "X". We were all stunned he knew it & he smiled & waved us on through. I've even got it on video from back in 1997... a much sturdier World then.

fosse76

This may not be the same thing but I despise when a person at the counter looks at my credit card and then addresses me by name. Mainly because I don't like the idea of someone checking out my credit card. It doesn't personalize it for me. Magic happens when everything runs smoothly. I'll take fast loads/unloads and working rides every day over someone calling me by my name.
I hate that as well (and not just at Disney). It also creates a false familiarity which I despise. As it is I hate small talk with people. CMs are there to provide guest service, and addressing me by name makes me uncomfortable.

fosse76

Even if it turns out to be terrible, I suspect Universal has to care some. It seems that one of the reasons behind all this is, like Magic your Way Tickets and moreso Magical Express, is to try and to keep (or effectively force) folks who come to Orlando to book at Disney hotels and then stay on Disney property throughout their stay. Magical Express put a big dent in folks renting cars and thus having the ability to drive up to Universal and their attendance suffered up until the opening of WWOHP. Universal is no doubt winning the attraction arms race in recent years, but certainly execs there have to realize if NextGen is implemented right, it could make it "seem" to guests as they are planning their vacations that it would make more sense just to stay on Disney property.
actually, I think it might be worse for Disney in that respect. Now that you can reserve your ride times, there's no need to "squeeze in" a trip to Universal when you can now arrange your Disney trip to allow for the side trip. People who may be on the fence about going can now easily plan the day around it, since the question of getting on their favorite Disney attractions will be solved in advance.

ParentsOf4

@ParentsOf4 I've addressed this in another thread, but thought it was worth noting again. $DIS is indeed trying to lower expectations for Q1, but is having a difficult time doing so because the perception is a stronger consumer should lead to more money across DIS's divisions (flawed thinking, IMO).

But, to the capital expenditures being reduced, this has been addressed in analyst meetings since that conference call. When that comment was made, $DIS was wrapping up Cars Land, New Fantasyland, and had just launced its 2nd cruise ship in as many years. That is a HUGE investment. So when they said capital expenditures would be reduced, they meant relative to what they were doing/just completed at the time.

That's not to say that Iger (who as a shareholder, you have to like as CEO if capital appreciation is what you want from your investments) is going to MAGICally decide to start punching back against the park to the north all of a sudden and spend some money at WDW.
It appears you and I are in full agreement. There's some wiggle room for additional investment in WDW but I don't see it being the scale of DCA. We might get Carsland in DHS in a few years but I don't think it will be the major park overhaul like DCA.

I suspect Iger's thinking "I've just sunk $1.5B in NextGen, $450M in FLE, and have plans for $400M more in Avatarland." He's problably thinking he's already spending a ton at WDW.

I'm of the opinion 3 out of WDW's 4 theme parks need a DCA-like intervention. (All 4 need serious maintenance work.) That's not going to happen in the foreseeable future.:(

IWant2GoNow

I used to work at Cedar Point back in the day and I'm always curious to see if Ouimet's only focus has been improving the guest experience or if he's been improving conditions for the employees there as well. It was pretty much like living at a prison when I worked there and unless you lived less than 20 miles away from the park, you had to live in their provided housing while you worked there.

He's his son. And if his father's legacy of homogenization/watering down means anything, it likely means we'd get more of the same if his son were to take over.

I wish Ouimet would have stepped in before they closed Geauga Lake. I feel like if anyone could have fixed the attendance there it would have been him.

He is doing a great job on the new entrance for Cedar Point though! And I can only assume has plans for the old Son of Beast plot at Kings Island. :D

Kuhio

We stayed at POFQ & when we arrived at the gate the gentleman there asked our name & my father replied with our last name & he paused a second then asked if my father's first name was "X". We were all stunned he knew it & he smiled & waved us on through.

When I first read this, I thought you meant that your father is X Atencio.
th_smile.gif

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
It appears you and I are in full agreement. There's some wiggle room for additional investment in WDW but I don't see it being the scale of DCA. We might get Carsland in DHS in a few years but I don't think it will be the major park overhaul like DCA.

I suspect Iger's thinking "I've just sunk $1.5B in NextGen, $450M in FLE, and have plans for $400M more in Avatarland." He's problably thinking he's already spending a ton at WDW.

I'm of the opinion 3 out of WDW's 4 theme parks need a DCA-like intervention. (All 4 need serious maintenance work.) That's not going to happen in the foreseeable future.:(

I think Iger is a good CEO but if that is his thought process... and I think it is, he needs to consider a few things. He needs to put the investments into perspective. DCA a single park located in the former DL parking lot needed over a billion to be fixed up. Compare that to a legit city with four theme parks, two water parks, golf courses (3 I think), twenty-four company owned resorts, a shopping district, a sports complex... and the list goes on. Of all of that WDW needs significant rehab at ALL existing parks to varying degrees. 3 out of the 4 need new attractions, pretty desperately. Sinking $400 M into AK may suffice for now at AK but a value engineered DHS expansion won't cut it.

Leverage your newly acquired IP and lay Potter talk to rest. TWDC is more than capable of this. They also need a ton of work at EPCOT unless being being old and decrepit is the world of tomorrow (might be lol). Finish it all off with a transportation solution. AK, DHS and EPCOT are actually relatively close. They can figure it out... You have some bright minds at your disposal, in house no less, if not for hire in the world. The future should be brighter... Hopefully sooner rather than later someone realizes this at TWDC.

Soarin' Over Pgh

They also need a ton of work at EPCOT unless being being old and decrepit is the world of tomorrow (might be lol)...

My good friend is vacationing in WDW right now. When I was texting with her last night, all she could say about Epcot was "margaritas and old stuff. needs dusting too. BOOZE."

I'm thinking that's what they're going for. Old stuff, needs dusting, but HEY!! Drink until you don't realize what a mess this place is!

:\

disneyflush

I agree, but something can be said for LCI. Muppet Mobile Labs was a great example, in my opinion. Use it more as entertainment or streetmosphere. Something extra that makes Disney unique, not as a replacement to attractions. Muppet Mobile Labs was amazing when I saw it in person. The problem is, Disney also doesn't really know what to do with them once they create them, so Lucky, MML, etc. always seems to wind up in a warehouse somewhere collecting dust instead of being out and about around the parks.

And remember the Electric Mayhem Bus Living Character Initiative that was announced? Still waiting for that too.

Living Characters are a great addition to the parks, but should not be the replacement for attractions that are timeless.

Great post. My thought on this is vague but I sorta enjoy the 'chaos factor' the park has at times. Quotes like, "OMG you will never believe what we saw today!" on a call back home to my parents. Things along the lines of DeVine at AK. Things that make each trip unique/different/worthwhile. I don't even have specific examples, its just a feeling that walking into the MK is not going to lead to a crazy day of antics and unexpected surprises anymore. Its much more military-style touring, appointments every hour or 2, no room for adjustments. Some of that is due to having my day's meals and rides picked out 6 months in advance which leaves too little room to take off the leash and just wander around wherever you want to go. How many parents used to wake their kids up in the room when they were at WDW and say, "What do you want to do today?" and let the kids lead the way. My parents did, I know that sounds crazy to some people but it was a blast. I know that the introduction of FastPass was the first step in this process so placing the blame on NextGen for not being able to be untethered at the parks is a bit misguided. However, FastPass on just a few attractions still gave Disney the freedom to disband the machines if they were causing more harm than good. They still were able to keep one foot on the home base of spontaneous park touring since they weren't married to it by any means. Now that basically all the rides, and all the restaurants, all the shows are going to be on FP and Disney has sank all this money into the technology, there is no turning back anymore, this is the new WDW experience. No parent, after spending all the money to go to WDW, would be silly enough to not have each day planned out for the most part on when the family will be riding x ride and y ride, eating z food at n time. No parent will ever say, "How do you want to spend today?" the morning of depending on all the factors that could make a day good or bad (moods, weather, fatigue, desperately wanting to ride Soarin one more time before going home, etc). For some people that isn't a big deal whatsoever, but to me thats a big deal and part of why I enjoyed it so much growing up. Part of 'magic' and 'whimsy' to me is having the freedom to put the phone down, get away from the meetings and appointments I have at work, not be on the time clock for a few days, and relax. It feels like going to WDW after these things are fully implemented will mean having to keep my phone on me at all times, keeping to a strict schedule of appointments/meetings, being diligent in watching the clock, and reducing any delineation from a preset itinerary to reduce any chance of missing anything.

John

So many times members here say...."we need more attractions" which I wouldnt disagree with. IMO so much more would need to happen first. Adding CL or AvLand would be nice but does that really really improve the guest experience? Still the dining experience is abysmal. I can not tell you how disapointed I was last week. The food was just horrible. I stayed at POP and was talking to another guest and a CM, the discussion turned to POP and what was said was absolutely shocking. The resort is considered WDW's "ghetto". The cleanliness was scary bad. The grounds and their upkeep were just as sad. Why isnt coffe, soda etc. offered 24/7? The elevators in building 5 look like something in a puplic houseing building.

We went by GF and so many lights were out I thought to myself....whats the point? Just turn them off. We went to OHana and the bathrooms located directly across from the seating area was in serious need of repair. The last urnal was litterally falling off the wall. There was a gap of more then an inch and all they did was wrecklessly caulk it. The door on the last stall was falling off its hinges ( I have pictures of both). I ate at several different locations and was faced with the same desert issue. They have been cut. At Mama Melrose the waiter brought out a plate of a "desert sampler" We no longer have a choice. It had four different types of deserts consiting of a tablespoon of each type of desert. My mother and I was to share the plate. About one bite each. SO they have raised the cost of the dining plan but yet have cut it once again. This also happened at TREX. We were given some type of stacked ice cream sandwich and two spoons.

I seen an elderly CM at HM raiseing his voice at people in queue to hurry up and move along. Gone is the time where the CM's were in character....which was a major part of the attraction. These are the small things that made the Disney difference....the magic.....not some cute wristband that we are tol;d are going to make our visit so much more Magical.

New attractions would be great but the over all guest experience is so much more then a 90 second thrill ride. The issues I have mentioned among so many more need attention way more then building a couple rides. These are the things that are driving me away. Once again the whole calling me by my name...or my child.. How many times does it happen beffore its no longer a novlety? It might be cute once....twice, but how long does it take to just become the norm and we become numb to it?

When WDW opened there were not even half as many rides there are now but the guest experience is what made WDW what it has become today. For me....sadly my love affair with my mistress is comming to an end.
She has changed into something I no longer recognize. I dont know about you but I am hurt. I feel cheated. My last trip will be just that.....my last trip....for the forseeable future.

flynnibus

Premium Member
When WDW opened there were not even half as many rides there are now but the guest experience is what made WDW what it has become today. For me....sadly my love affair with my mistress is comming to an end.
She has changed into something I no longer recognize. I dont know about you but I am hurt. I feel cheated. My last trip will be just that.....my last trip....for the forseeable future.

well said - it's not that disney doesn't have anything to do and needs more.. it's what it's offering is falling well behind what it used to offer.. and everyone else has closed the gap between 'Disney' and the rest.

dhall

Just repeating a great post because why not get the post count up, right? I'm still chasing that @EPCOT Explorer brat who is off hiding in the Twitverse and crying his eyes out at Wishes, but he did write one helluva blog post on Tron Track!

On another matter, anyone know if that strangely shaped/placed Rapunzel restroom marker isn't really just some sort of beacon or reader (techies, lay off, I am no tech expert if this isn't the correct terminology) tied to the MAGICal banding of guests hidden in plain sight? It sure seems like it. Maybe Lou Mongello can ask Phil Holmes since Phil seems waaaay into those facilities.

Possibly, most likely as a central infrastructure point for the wireless coverage throughout the park (although it's kind of in a weird place for that purpose). Think about one of the core requirements of the NextGen initiative: lots of readers spread throughout the park. They'd need to have a few dozen small, quick refurbs spread throughout the park, each with some form of electronics. Might as well make a game of it, right?

And I've never heard one person at the MK say "that Pirate ride was OK, but I'd enjoy it more if I could interact with it or use my iPhone to make a prop do something while waiting'' ... this is Disney turning its back on Walt's old adage 'give them what they don't know they want'

At the risk of putting mouse ears on my tinfoil hat, who knew color changing ears responding to fireworks would be soooooooo cool?

Disneyhead'71

Does anyone remember the story of "The Goose That Laid The Golden Egg" story? Not the one in Jack and the Beanstalk. The other one. The one where the guy had the goose that laid golden eggs. And the richer the guy got the more impatient he became with how long it took the goose to lay the golden eggs. So he killed the goose to get all the eggs out only to find there were none inside.

The quest for quick short term profits will kill the goose.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I spotted this post in another thread, but thought it was worthy to move over and comment on here (hey, if @Eddie Sotto can do it, so can I!)

<<I love the way this board speculates so much before things happen and get themselves wound up over peoples "theories".
Just let things happen, and then complain once things are in place and people are upset, no point in getting wound up over speculating what you think may or may not happen.

In Mouse we trust!>> ... the above is from Mickey1984 on Martin's thread.

It couldn't be more timely or relevant, which is why I brought it here.

I would draw the distinction between a theory and leaked information (AKA facts). Particularly when the alleged 'theories' are responded to within days if not hours confirming, sometimes point by point, the facts positioned on the forum by TWDC.

As for the 'In Mouse we trust' ... that's just chum in these waters. And the sharks be a' swimming tonight.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom