Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
I agree, but something can be said for LCI. Muppet Mobile Labs was a great example, in my opinion. Use it more as entertainment or streetmosphere. Something extra that makes Disney unique, not as a replacement to attractions. Muppet Mobile Labs was amazing when I saw it in person. The problem is, Disney also doesn't really know what to do with them once they create them, so Lucky, MML, etc. always seems to wind up in a warehouse somewhere collecting dust instead of being out and about around the parks.

And remember the Electric Mayhem Bus Living Character Initiative that was announced? Still waiting for that too.

Living Characters are a great addition to the parks, but should not be the replacement for attractions that are timeless.

I loved seeing MML when I was in HK in 2008, even though I couldn't understand a word being said. And the people, many of who probably had no clue who the Muppets were seemed to enjoy it a lot too.

The thing with the LCI or anything with Disney that starts out good (from pins to simulator rides to 3D films to DVC to ... well, you name it) is they don't ever know when to say when. This is the company that owns the network that had a HUGE hit in Who Wants to be a Millionaire? and thought if one night was good than wouldn't five nights be great.

The mentality of greed and an aversion to moderation has been a Disney mainstay since the mid-90s right on to now.

ToTBellHop

Oh I agree with you. I read the proverbial writing on the wall with this one. I was just throwing out my wish... I like all of us here wish they'd focus on investing in quality and rides. Everything you said though is spot on. With NextGen... TDO and Disney are essentially saying they believe the product is fine but their efficiency isn't. They think if they make more off of each guest it is all fixed. They are probably right in their inefficiency problem but they also need quality control big time. As well as CAPEX in things that actually tick the attendance up, as well as fight the competitor.
There are many more cost effective ways to improve efficiency. My favorite is: invest a lot of money in attractions and then hike prices significantly. More people come and they are willing to spend much more for the newly improved product. Disney surely knows this works since they did it at the DLR in 2012. Low level grumbling at the large price hike, but the people came in droves.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I have a close friend who is related to an executive at Universal Orlando, I got a chance to speak with him and asked him about all this ... the Uni Exec basically said NextGen is a laughing stock in their offices. Are you worried at all about it? "Worried? I wouldn't say that ... once people get what it is all about, I don't see how it doesn't benefit us." I pressed further and he said, "Do you see us investing in something similar to compete? No, exactly ... we'll just build attractions. Good luck with that ..."

So ... yeah ... that was depressing.

I could have told you the same thing. And this IS something that should worry Disney. The competition isn't. Worried, that is.

If you get the right UNI or SW person to talk to you they'll even LOL at the money Disney is spending and on what. Again, these folks are competing with Disney (the 800-pound ECV driving gorilla in the room) and they always take what Disney does seriously. ALWAYS!

And The Mouse is spending an obscene sum and the competition absolutely doesn't care. They believe that it will simply drive more guests to them beyond the ones they already have.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Gotta give props to this post. I hadn't seen it when I made my earlier post referring to this scene from Minority Report (I've missed out on 10+ pages of this thread in the last day or so, and am only now catching back up), but clearly we think alike!
cool.gif

Based on the mundane and generic clothing we see in a Gap store in 2054, apparently the movie's Gap -- much like our real-life TWDC -- had decided to concentrate all of its future expenditures on data-mining and marketing, rather than on improving its actual product line.

HAH! ... Well, let's not forget that in real life ex-Disney P&R execs fall into The Gap to continue their career decline!

ParentsOf4

There are many more cost effective ways to improve efficiency. My favorite is: invest a lot of money in attractions and then hike prices significantly. More people come and they are willing to spend much more for the newly improved product.
This is exactly what Universal did with WWOHP. My memory’s foggy but I think Universal went from a 7-day ticket for about $95 to a 2-day ticket for about $130. Complaints were almost nonexistent and IOA attendance jumped by over 60% in 2 years.

IMHO, a well-executed "Star Wars Land" would do the same for DHS. It's so obvious I cannot fathom why they are not doing it. TDO must be smarter than me.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Having been watching "Once upon a time ..." One could say its accurate representation of how Disney thinks its going to create more pixie addicts... but hey ho it would be nice for George K to recognise these problems and tell the BoD this ...

I love Once Upon a Time (or as a friend jokingly refers to it: The Gay Lost) ... I even have an ending for the show that I am willing to offer to the writers free of charge (no, not kidding and seriously thinking of handing it to them to use whenever the show ends!) ... Oh, and I don't think they want any of their P&R management near the BoD.

Hehe, considering it's a Disney show... My opinion: I think George's presence back in FL will result in some incremental improvements at minimum, and hopefully better, depending, as someone else here says, on the resources allowed him. I'm also hopeful he will not be blinded/sidetracked by NG like Meg and others, and will actually see the (physical) state of things on the property. Let Jim and his team deal with NG, and stop forgetting there's a whole lot of property to take care of.

I worry about that. I worry that he is being brought in with the brief to get NEXT GEN up and running and deal with it. The man is 59, older than I thought, and when his contract is up in 2016, he'll be 62. He isn't getting another one. This is Disney where you start getting OLD at 50. ... He has a resort with so many issues ... and I can't help but think he's there to help groom Danny Cockerell to one day run the show.

NEXT GEN is right in his wheelhouse when it comes to what he is good at. ... A very interesting time to be sure.

the.dreamfinder

I agree, but something can be said for LCI. Muppet Mobile Labs was a great example, in my opinion. Use it more as entertainment or streetmosphere. Something extra that makes Disney unique, not as a replacement to attractions. Muppet Mobile Labs was amazing when I saw it in person. The problem is, Disney also doesn't really know what to do with them once they create them, so Lucky, MML, etc. always seems to wind up in a warehouse somewhere collecting dust instead of being out and about around the parks.

And remember the Electric Mayhem Bus Living Character Initiative that was announced? Still waiting for that too.

Living Characters are a great addition to the parks, but should not be the replacement for attractions that are timeless.
Nailed it. People come to these parks to enter another world. Having the muppets around causing havoc in what should be the Muppet studios would bring so much life to that area.

The other issue may be that WDI is a sinking ship without VISION so it's hard to get the talented folks to make this stuff.

BTW TDO, we're still waiting on Cogsworth, Mrs. Potts, and Articulating Beast...

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'm not as eloquent, but, I disagree that the 'personalization' is an intrusion or won't be well received. I think everyone is transferring an adult approach to this, rather than seeing this through the eyes of a child visiting the Magic Kingdom. My grandson was amazed and very cheerful whenever a cast member called him by name. He was mystified that they knew who he was. (Of course it's no challenge to the CM when his Mouseketeer Hat had his name clearly embroidered on the front!). I'm sure if a 4 yr old's name was called out by a pirate as he was waiting in line for PoC, he'd remember that as one of the highlights of the ride. I think we should take all of these announcements with a grain of salt and some patience until the 'experience' is more fully rolled out.

You don't wait for a disaster to hit your home before you make preparations (if possible).

As to the 'eyes of a child' part, I'm just going to call you on that. We ARE ALL children. Some of us have just grown up, but we have an inner child. Disney Parks were never meant to pander to 4-year-olds. Families? Sure. But dumbing everything down to a LCD deal isn't at all what the Disney experience was all about. Not the one that hooked me, that's for sure.

I may like films with princesses now and again, but I sure don't want to be one (although I look amazing in gown and tiara). Disney under Michael Eisner was all about attracting as many demos as possible, while Bob Iger's appears interested in Mommy Bloggers with kids under 7 and what would attract them. That's not WDW in the 70s ... or EPCOT Center in the 80s ... or the amazing resort of the 80s and 90s.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Disney under Michael Eisner was all about attracting as many demos as possible, while Bob Iger's appears interested in Mommy Bloggers with kids under 7 and what would attract them. That's not WDW in the 70s ... or EPCOT Center in the 80s ... or the amazing resort of the 80s and 90s.

well if you believe one article.. NextGen is in part about targeting millennials, as they are attached at the hip to their digital devices and expect products to be integrated with them.

I will say one thing about people with their 'head in their phones..' etc. I saw just as many adults (20+, even 30+) with their head buried in their iphones while in lines as I did teens on my recent trip.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Yes, but Disney has been playing some variation on that theme for years now - and it worked. Until The Boy Who Lived showed up.

No amount of Disney magic is going to keep the kids from wanting to visit Potter Land. None.

If this is the game they intend to play, they will lose - plain and simple.

Just repeating a great post because why not get the post count up, right? I'm still chasing that @EPCOT Explorer brat who is off hiding in the Twitverse and crying his eyes out at Wishes, but he did write one helluva blog post on Tron Track!

On another matter, anyone know if that strangely shaped/placed Rapunzel restroom marker isn't really just some sort of beacon or reader (techies, lay off, I am no tech expert if this isn't the correct terminology) tied to the MAGICal banding of guests hidden in plain sight? It sure seems like it. Maybe Lou Mongello can ask Phil Holmes since Phil seems waaaay into those facilities.

WDW1974

Original Poster
There are many more cost effective ways to improve efficiency. My favorite is: invest a lot of money in attractions and then hike prices significantly. More people come and they are willing to spend much more for the newly improved product. Disney surely knows this works since they did it at the DLR in 2012. Low level grumbling at the large price hike, but the people came in droves.

Well, true but WDW seems to like the model where they raise the ticket prices greatly and don't add attractions or anything significantly new to draw guests.

I know my AP has gone up 30% in four years. No, I don't think that's fair and rational pricing. I can't wait for this year's increase(s).

WDW1974

Original Poster
This is exactly what Universal did with WWOHP. My memory’s foggy but I think Universal went from a 7-day ticket for about $95 to a 2-day ticket for about $130. Complaints were almost nonexistent and IOA attendance jumped by over 60% in 2 years.

IMHO, a well-executed "Star Wars Land" would do the same for DHS. It's so obvious I cannot fathom why they are not doing it. TDO must be smarter than me.

Nah. They just think they are.

We're all losers living in Mom's basement collecting disability checks that we spend on buying old Disney ephemera on eBay.

It's not like we have media pros here ... execs ... creatives ... and people in many other high caliber careers. But those execs are smarter than us. Sure, they are.

WDW1974

Original Poster
well if you believe one article.. NextGen is in part about targeting millennials, as they are attached at the hip to their digital devices and expect products to be integrated with them.

I will say one thing about people with their 'head in their phones..' etc. I saw just as many adults (20+, even 30+) with their head buried in their iphones while in lines as I did teens on my recent trip.

Flynn, the addiction to toys is all ages. I have almost been killed by women in their 50s or 60s texting or Tweeting ... I have had middle age businessmen walk into me with their heads buried in Steve Jobs' legacy. It absolutely isn't simply an issue of the 10-25 crowd.

And I've never heard one person at the MK say "that Pirate ride was OK, but I'd enjoy it more if I could interact with it or use my iPhone to make a prop do something while waiting'' ... this is Disney turning its back on Walt's old adage 'give them what they don't know they want' and doing the opposite: giving entitlement mentality people, who you are gouging for everything to begin with, some 'solution' to the 'alleged problem' of actually standing in a line at a theme park.

How we ever lived without FP at Disney Parks from 1955-1999, I'll never know.:rolleyes:

Scuttle

Well, true but WDW seems to like the model where they raise the ticket prices greatly and don't add attractions or anything significantly new to draw guests.

I know my AP has gone up 30% in four years. No, I don't think that's fair and rational pricing. I can't wait for this year's increase(s).

I know you know as good as anyone, but Spirit you forgot to mention as those ticket prices have increased 30% the ride show quality has dropped about 3,000%. It'd be one thing if TDO didn't add rides or anything of major significance the past four years if they actually kept the rides and park maintenance up to the standards of old.

Small World, Splash, Everest, Dinosaur,UoE, Great Movie Ride, the exterior of Space Mountain, any ride queue, the horrid backstage visibility on the train and from the barnstormer queue, popcorn lights being out everywhere(including flagship resort where rack rates start at 450), CoP deplorable condition. This is just merely scratching the surface and if most of these issues aren't fixed in the next year or two all I can say is HELLO Disneyland. Atleast at Disneyland you get what you pay for( a premium entertainment experience) and you dont get anything premium at WDW except a premium ripoff.

stlphil

Welcome to our MAGICal little world. Enjoy your stay!

Thanks much for the welcome.

I think I'll be enjoying this MAGICal little world more than big WDW, as I am quite dismayed with NextGen for a lot of reasons. If as widely expected NextGen will be the excuse to end EMH (and decrease park hours generally as already appears to be happening), then this will undeniably be bad for guests on one important level:

The total number of riders for the popular rides must decrease. It doesn't matter if you are in a fastpass line, fastpass+, single rider, standby, GAC, VIP tour, whatever, no matter how Disney distributes people in this shell game, no more than a max of 18,000 or so are going to ride for example Everest (~2000/hour) in the typical 9 hr day at DAK. With 28,000 in the park on an average day, and with repeat riders, well you can do the math.

As guests we tend to think of park hours in regards to how much we can do, but don't often realize that only a fraction of the parks visitors can ride any given ride each day (well maybe a 3000/hr ride at MK on an average-attendance 16 hour day may pick up everyone, but that is the exception). Obviously anything, like EMH, that increases total hours gets more people on board.

Sure, EMH distorts park attendance, but ultimately the total hours of all parks combined determines the total number of rides for all the guests on the popular attractions. There is no way around this, fewer hours mean longer lines and/or fewer trips on the popular rides.

Actually there is one way around this- lower attendance...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom