Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

Rodan75

First Post on WDWMagic, been lurking for a few days. In most of these forums I have to admit I appreciate the overall balance in discussion. However, I don't get the hate that is being spewed toward NextGen. I am reserving judgement on NextGen until it rolls out in its entirety, however, it appears to be primarily an infrastructure project to better link Park systems.

The privacy concerns are justified, but no more justified than the privacy concerns you should have every time you call the phone company, your credit card company or when you stay at any non-disney hotel. And just like those organizations you are going to Disney of your own free will, you don't have to give them any information, you don't have to go. Companies have an unprecedented amount of data on their customers today, Disney is only playing catch up. And even with the data that they do have today, they are using it far more tastefully than most companies do. Go yell at Comcast for their data security policies(and if you don't think Universal is looking at something like this, you are deluded), Call AT&T and ask them how they protect your data.

In regard to RFID, has anyone quit complaining about it and just looked at the technology? It isn't Cellular, it isn't GPS there is no moment to moment, step by step tracking. It is a technology to facilitate interaction. They didn't need RFID to track your every non-cash purchase in the park. The wristbands only cut out one step in that tracking.

The only thing here to even remotely complain about is Fast Pass+, but I believe the goal of that whole project is better balance and fix Fast Pass which has always created a horrible experience imbalance. Real Time Queue management is the dream of everyone who has to manage queues of any type.

I just wish everyone would stop complaining and think practically.

Bforeverknight

Extra Extra Read All About, Disney solves beverage dispenser problems by electronic tracking of Guest. The long time abuse of beverage stations through old resort mugs can now be controlled by watching every step the guest takes in the park. When upper magagement was asked to comment on this 2 Billion dollar innovation, Upper management was heard to say that, it will enhance Your visit, while littening your load ( ie the money from your wallett!).:confused:

Bforeverknight

But seriously spirit what do you see as Georges first move as he comes in, one start intensive park repairs if bugets allow or 2) try to spin Next Gen to the Masses?

SirLink

I love Once Upon a Time (or as a friend jokingly refers to it: The Gay Lost) ... I even have an ending for the show that I am willing to offer to the writers free of charge (no, not kidding and seriously thinking of handing it to them to use whenever the show ends!) ... Oh, and I don't think they want any of their P&R management near the BoD.

I worry about that. I worry that he is being brought in with the brief to get NEXT GEN up and running and deal with it. The man is 59, older than I thought, and when his contract is up in 2016, he'll be 62. He isn't getting another one. This is Disney where you start getting OLD at 50. ... He has a resort with so many issues ... and I can't help but think he's there to help groom Danny Cockerell to one day run the show.

NEXT GEN is right in his wheelhouse when it comes to what he is good at. ... A very interesting time to be sure.

1)I would love to hear your ending...
2)I am scared ... what positives does Danny Cockerell even have ... the guy he took over from as DHS who demanded an addition to the park - he should at least get more chances than to be relegated to fix the dining fiasco on property...I pray every night that when Iger is gone Snider invites Matt Ouimet back to run P&R and ...

danlb_2000

Premium Member
In regard to RFID, has anyone quit complaining about it and just looked at the technology? It isn't Cellular, it isn't GPS there is no moment to moment, step by step tracking. It is a technology to facilitate interaction. They didn't need RFID to track your every non-cash purchase in the park. The wristbands only cut out one step in that tracking.

It is quite feastible that Disney could do very detailed tracking of your movements with this technology. Not saying that they will, but you can't dismiss it as a possibility. Personally, if they did, I wouldn't care but I know some people would.

twebber55

First Post on WDWMagic, been lurking for a few days. In most of these forums I have to admit I appreciate the overall balance in discussion. However, I don't get the hate that is being spewed toward NextGen. I am reserving judgement on NextGen until it rolls out in its entirety, however, it appears to be primarily an infrastructure project to better link Park systems.

The privacy concerns are justified, but no more justified than the privacy concerns you should have every time you call the phone company, your credit card company or when you stay at any non-disney hotel. And just like those organizations you are going to Disney of your own free will, you don't have to give them any information, you don't have to go. Companies have an unprecedented amount of data on their customers today, Disney is only playing catch up. And even with the data that they do have today, they are using it far more tastefully than most companies do. Go yell at Comcast for their data security policies(and if you don't think Universal is looking at something like this, you are deluded), Call AT&T and ask them how they protect your data.

The only thing here to even remotely complain about is Fast Pass+, but I believe the goal of that whole project is better balance and fix Fast Pass which has always created a horrible experience imbalance. Real Time Queue management is the dream of everyone who has to manage queues of any type.

the biggest complaint i have for this project is the cost....1.5 billion (and climbing) could be used to update, refurbish, and build new attractions and lands..heck 1.5 billion could build a new park

Longhairbear

Being DVC members that have paid forward our vacations, I can say we are not going to WDW in more than a few years. We can find many Disney vacations that won't be getting us all stressed out over Fastpass that's going to become as unattainable as ADR's are for us now in the swamplands.
We can go to Hawaii for less points than it costs us for a stress filled vacation at WDW. I don't need that book ahead crap! We are staying at Disneyland in Feb. on DVC points. I can get World Of Color dinner / show pass with less stress. We might even go on another Disney Cruise that suits our needs, and never once set foot at WDW, and have left over points for a few Disneyland overnights.
Oh, and there is icing on our cake, Golden Horseshoe Review in Disneyland is playing for the Limited Time Magic during our next DVC stay at the Villas Of the Grand California.
1.5 billion keeps me from getting a Fastpass + at Tower Of Terror at DHS, yet 1.5 billion gives me Buena Vista Street/ Paradise Garden/ Carsland at the Disneyland Resort?

SirLink

1)The cost we are at is currently $2billion and counting, if they wanted to invest in infrastructure how about a transport system that doesn't every few years mean buying more buses...

2)They aren't though ... the main goal of this, well there are numerous - siphon more money from guests, better staffing of the parks, and selling/"offering" the behavioral data as a way to keep P&R balance in good working order. Also to use FP+ you have to "opt in" to the MyMagic+ toolset(incl. App/Website/In Park terminals) to agree to "share" personal data with 3rd parties...

3)Yes ... I indeed have the MagicBands have included the battery and based on this simple made software(see link) ... it won't be step by step - but 'oh your in between the gates entering area X', although this for the active tags like MagicBands, ticketed media will be a little less intrusive. But the question must be asked "Why does Disney want this behavioral data" ... to improve the parks after years and years of neglect or to sell it to any company that wants it and have more justification of turning attractions seasonal...

4)Their happens to be a small majority of people who would rather FP just be killed and interactive queue lines disappear ... and not have Disney focus on OCD parents and ADD kids ... thank you very much...

BigThunderMatt

1)I would love to hear your ending...
2)I am scared ... what positives does Danny Cockerell even have ... the guy he took over from as DHS who demanded an addition to the park - he should at least get more chances than to be relegated to fix the dining fiasco on property...I pray every night that when Iger is gone Snider invites Matt Ouimet back to run P&R and ...

I believe Rasulo was the reason Matt Ouimet was ushered out. So unless when Iger goes he takes Rasulo with him...

MattM

But aren't the current signs the exact opposite, that they plan to reduce WDW investment?
  • Warnings about capital expenditure reductions at financial conference calls
  • Concerns about Q1 earnings
  • FLE and Avatarland budget reductions
  • Reduced EMH
  • Layoffs
Meanwhile, Disney invests $1.5B in something that adds no capacity, provides no new experiences, and fixes no mechanical issues. It does upgrade their infrastructure but we all know that in 10 years today's "hot" technology is going to be woefully antiquated, meaning NextGen will continue to be a money pit for years to come. Meanwhile they spend billions to purchase the Marvel and Lucas Films properties.

I'm hopeful we'll hear something soon about Carsland at DHS but fearful it will be a cheapened version of the original product in California.

Disney just spent $1.1B to fix the much smaller DCA. To do the same at the much larger WDW will require many billions more.

The CEO and his minions are under tremendous pressure to reduce capex. They've already spent billions. Unfortunately for WDW fans, nearly all of it has been on cruise ships, at other theme parks, or in the $1.5B sinkhole called NextGen.

Exactly what are the signs I should be watching for to suggest Disney intends to increase investments in WDW?

@ParentsOf4 I've addressed this in another thread, but thought it was worth noting again. $DIS is indeed trying to lower expectations for Q1, but is having a difficult time doing so because the perception is a stronger consumer should lead to more money across DIS's divisions (flawed thinking, IMO).

But, to the capital expenditures being reduced, this has been addressed in analyst meetings since that conference call. When that comment was made, $DIS was wrapping up Cars Land, New Fantasyland, and had just launced its 2nd cruise ship in as many years. That is a HUGE investment. So when they said capital expenditures would be reduced, they meant relative to what they were doing/just completed at the time.

That's not to say that Iger (who as a shareholder, you have to like as CEO if capital appreciation is what you want from your investments) is going to MAGICally decide to start punching back against the park to the north all of a sudden and spend some money at WDW.

MattM

I worry about that. I worry that he is being brought in with the brief to get NEXT GEN up and running and deal with it. The man is 59, older than I thought, and when his contract is up in 2016, he'll be 62. He isn't getting another one. This is Disney where you start getting OLD at 50. ... He has a resort with so many issues ... and I can't help but think he's there to help groom Danny Cockerell to one day run the show.
Would he be related to Lee Cockerell?

Edit: Saw @the.dreamfinder post after I posted this and I suppose that answers my question.

BigThunderMatt

Isn't Ouimet making Knotts Berry Farm fabulous at the moment?

I used to work at Cedar Point back in the day and I'm always curious to see if Ouimet's only focus has been improving the guest experience or if he's been improving conditions for the employees there as well. It was pretty much like living at a prison when I worked there and unless you lived less than 20 miles away from the park, you had to live in their provided housing while you worked there.

Would he be related to Lee Cockerell?
He's his son. And if his father's legacy of homogenization/watering down means anything, it likely means we'd get more of the same if his son were to take over.

MattM

He's his son. And if his father's legacy of homogenization/watering down means anything, it likely means we'd get more of the same if his son were to take over.

Interesting. As someone who is very familiar with TWDC as a whole, but not at all familiar with the workings of the local parks, could you explain a little further what you mean by that?

I've read Lee's book, but that is about the extent of my knowledge of him.

BigThunderMatt

Interesting. As someone who is very familiar with TWDC as a whole, but not at all familiar with the workings of the local parks, could you explain a little further what you mean by that?

I've read Lee's book, but that is about the extent of my knowledge of him.

One part of what Lee considers his legacy is that he took the types of french fries that they served across property from what was somewhere around 14 different kinds (some would term that as variety) down to 2 (what I consider to be "Wal-Marting").

SirLink

One part of what Lee considers his legacy is that he took the types of french fries that they served across property from what was somewhere around 14 different kinds (some would term that as variety) down to 2 (what I consider to be "Wal-Marting").

If you think about all the whimpers about Car(d)s (Board) Land, and the fact Dan Cockerell is in charge of DHS and yet there value engineering the project...and they want to make him head of WDW in 3 years time?

Soarin' Over Pgh

Just repeating a great post because why not get the post count up, right? I'm still chasing that @EPCOT Explorer brat who is off hiding in the Twitverse and crying his eyes out at Wishes, but he did write one helluva blog post on Tron Track!

On another matter, anyone know if that strangely shaped/placed Rapunzel restroom marker isn't really just some sort of beacon or reader (techies, lay off, I am no tech expert if this isn't the correct terminology) tied to the MAGICal banding of guests hidden in plain sight? It sure seems like it. Maybe Lou Mongello can ask Phil Holmes since Phil seems waaaay into those facilities.

Funny you mention this. The first time I saw it, that's exactly what I thought. Glad I'm not alone in thinking that it's not just a giant structure with no purpose besides being cute (and/or, an eyesore from elsewhere in the park).

Why do your posts seem to lift rocks and bring the creepycrawlies out? :\

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom