Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'm asking for what should make these words seem believable and credible in the assertions the piece makes.

You're asking for precisely what you know can't be given. I believe the words and trust the source, so that's why I put the info out to begin with (I don't like being wrong or putting out bad info -- and my track record shows that). ... And it would seem by TWDC's own memo to 'select' CMs, that my info is quite accurate.

BTW ... did you really ask for citations and the author's position? Really, did I read that and just edit it out!
Someone should forfeit their job and harm their career greatly to quench your (and others) desire to know where this came from?

You are smarter than that!

I work in product development - so I know what it means to do your research and be able to aim and build out ahead of where the crowd is today. I also know what it means to cut through 'claims' and find what is solid enough to base my own choices and reputation on - be it internal or external claims. I know how to position and sell our efforts to the market. So I like to think of it as a unique combination of technical, research, and market savvy - you can draw your own conclusions :)

Ah, a desk job that allows you to spend plenty of quality time in MAGICal realms!

I'm more of a Donald guy :) The hype around the finger readers was big.. but Disney had an situation they could easily argue why it was necessary and be able to respond to how it was not fingerprinting like law enforcement uses. But my comment was more to the assertions in your piece that Disney will force all users with no opt-out AND market all the data collected. That combination is what makes it different. It's one thing to require something to consume a service - its another to not allow the consumer to control or protect their personal information. That is the line being crossed - not 'tracking' or other things. The problem is the mob is being distracted by the blinking lights of RFID - instead of focusing on what's important or really at risk.

I mostly agree with that. I know I have no desire to be tracked 24/7 when on Disney property and, no, they don't do it now. Not even close.

That's fine - it only hurts its own credibility and weight. It may sway those who hang on your every word.. but I'm not into idolizing :)

Well, neither am I. I'm also quite pragmatic. Those who favor technology and don't care about their privacy (until they do) won't and those who are skeptical of WDW's motives in spending $1.5 billion and counting on this, well, they will be. ... As to hanging on my every word, I think only @Lee 's better half does that ... oh and anyone here with the initials JT ... oh, and my friends at WDW/TDO/Burbank/Anaheim/Over the globe. But again, these may be my words, but the ones quoted were most certainly not

WDW1974

Original Poster
But on a 30-foot range and the explicit, fearmongering statement of "24 hour surveillance" you're looking at hundreds with line-of-sight visibility. Surely someone would have seen at least one.

I'm no tech expert. Got a stupid phone. And still don't have that iPad I've been hankering for. I still never learned how to program a VCR ... and why are folks calling them DVR's now? And who is Blue Ray and does he come to your house to improve the quality of your picture when you buy a DVD with his name on it?

BUT ... where does this 30-foot limitation come from? Can the device be limited to a 30-foot range or a 3-foot range? Of course ... do you want a device that opens your hotel room door from the elevator? The technology that has been cited, and I'm sure there are enough techie's here to go round and round, established a benchmark of no less than approximately a five football field radius this has been sufficient to move forward with the passive element of NEXT GEN. I believe people are being confused by Disney's application of both an active and a passive element. An example: you make a purchase -- that is active, meaning limited range. Walking by a window at Chester and Hester's and stopping to look at the window display is passive. But Disney gets the data from both.

I really need to stop before I start confusing myself or giving erroneous info because I am not a techie. This is just my understanding.

WDW1974

Original Poster
So you're suggesting that '74 was just manipulated by an upset exec into spreading this to the interwebz? :p

Monty, no exec can manipulate me without say ... an assault rife. The only times I'm manipulated is by CPers and fanbois with Daddy issues after one drink too many at the Territory Lounge!:D

Nah, you didn't drop the ball, but not enough people are crediting him with his "scoop" so he's stroking his ego at your expense. *Shrug*

I wrongly interpreted something you posted earlier and don't wish to make that mistake again, so I'm hoping you're talking about Wannabe Lou here? Because I need no ego-stroking and judging by the post counts that I can't keep up with I see that the vast majority here have issues with NEXT GEN.

jlsHouston

I dunno but the Disney website for making reservations certainly looks very different and I did happen to click on the terms and conditions of registering for the website and it is all about this mobile device ( it appears ) for enhancing your visit in terms of fp/dining etc..with a big disclaimer about the use of the app by minors under 13..so not being a techie either, and not having nearly the snap as most of the minds posting here info and opinions and conjectures, I do think this nexgen stuff is all about integration of cellphones and whatever else, like the RF thing with this new app disney has now and is going to certainly push if they invested 2 billion in the technology..

WDW1974

Original Poster
Walt Disney World: Where dreams are planned ahead of time.

280jvgi.jpg

I hearby nominate the above as the first Best Post of 2013 on WDWMAGIC.com.

You win a night (sorta) at sea with your favorite Spirit ... and a LE Vinylmation that I picked up at the outlet store and one of the 'Mom's famous pies (assuming here that she makes great pies?)

GREAT WORK!:)

WDW1974

Original Poster
Its amazing when people are critical of NextGen.. that the project somehow morphs into only being that one thing they are complaining about. On a Wednesday.. it's 2billion for FP+.. on Sunday it's 2billion for datamining.. etc.

As for competive edge... when Disney alters the expectations of what waiting in a theme park means.. that will make others seem outdated. Like who waits to wait an hour for fireworks.. when you could just show up at the right time? or who wants to wait in lines to meet characters, etc. These types of changes, amoung others, will ultimately change the customer expectations in the parks.

You mean like how a decade of neglect and constantly lowering quality and standards have changed the expectations of GUESTS while in the parks?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Has all of the 2BN been spent or is that what it has been budgeted for?

Simple answer is no one knows. And the official figure originally given to the program was $1 billion. At some point it got rasied to $1.2something and now it is at $1.5 and headed north. I don't believe the BoD has been asked for more money, they've just gone and spent it. But I could be wrong on that and will ask.

I use the $2 billion figure based on what I've been told, what has been spent already and where we are at. It could conceivably go even higher. And, yes, you could build one helluva theme park or fix four for that price quite nicely. ... And provided you had outsiders watching WDI's antics, you'd even have some spare change left over.

articos

No, this won't be used in Shanghai.

They think it will be in Anaheim and Paris. Let me just state here, that that will never happen. Not in this form anyway.
There is no way in .... that this will go to Paris, and I will be first in line to sit in on the meetings when they try to convince the French or any of the EU gov'ts that they can collect this much data and safeguard it. MagicBand or not. :)

WDW1974

Original Poster
Just a few final thoughts for the night, as we go back and forth about various ethical concerns and privacy rights this entire program has brought up.

Is it wise to give a constant/realtime status update of a child and his/her family's location to a company? Because of the personalization (extreme?) aspect of Disney's NEXT GEN is it smart to have your child's name (and, perhaps, likes) released in a hotel/resort setting where any person can make a personal connection with your child? Is Disney helping pave the way for stranger danger (as we used to call it)?

Is it wise to let a hotel operator (in this case) Disney have the technology to know that your 12-year-old son Brandon (so cute with those blue eyes and curly blonde hair) or your 14-year-old daughter Briana (really looking like a young woman so developed in that bikini by the pool) is all alone in their room while the rest of the family is miles away at another theme park/resort locale? (Heck, maybe only 88-year-old Grammy is back by herself wearing that $6,000 ring that she shows anyone and everyone but I wanna stick with the kids and not go off-point).

Is it really desirable for a multi-billion dollar media conglomerate (or, hell, ANY company) to be making direct contact and solicitations with your kids for a product or service in a personal/intrusive manner that may well be something you oppose or like but simply don't have the budget for?

RunnerEd

I just got caught up and one thing is really jumping off the page at me. There are several people posting or citing Disney's privacy policy. The same people that have wasted $1,500,000,000 to $2,000,000,000 on this system are the same people who write and will ultimately re-write the privacy policy. It is not very hard to change.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom