Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

SirOinksALot

Its amazing when people are critical of NextGen.. that the project somehow morphs into only being that one thing they are complaining about. On a Wednesday.. it's 2billion for FP+.. on Sunday it's 2billion for datamining.. etc.

As for competive edge... when Disney alters the expectations of what waiting in a theme park means.. that will make others seem outdated. Like who waits to wait an hour for fireworks.. when you could just show up at the right time? or who wants to wait in lines to meet characters, etc. These types of changes, amoung others, will ultimately change the customer expectations in the parks.
Spot on again. The day a Magical Express goes straight from the airport to a park and you can just go straight back to your room in the evening will be the day this all sinks in for everyone.

toolsnspools

It's not. They have a COPPA provision on their website: http://corporate.disney.go.com/corporate/pp.html. It would need to be the same for mobile and FP+. That is the point. If Junior is opted out, then they wouldn't be able to use the mobile device to change all of the FP times together. They would need to use an alternate method.

That's all it's going to take for parental consent though. Click here to consent to the privacy policy that allows us to track your children, or wait 120 minutes for Soarin'. People will be all over the consent button.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Spot on again. The day a Magical Express goes straight from the airport to a park and you can just go straight back to your room in the evening will be the day this all sinks in for everyone.
Yep. Because you will get your bracelets with your ME tags, use the app to activate while on the bus, your luggage goes to your room, you go to the park. You never have to stop at the front desk.

articos

I'm simply suggesting the Supreme Court frequently brushes aside legal "tricks" played by attorneys to get to the heart of a matter.

The history of the Reedy Creek Improvement District is well-known. RCID was given the rights of a municipality. Legal pretenses aside, exactly who controls it?
Disney does. That's the short answer. If you want to know details, read on.

RCID is controlled by the district landowners. Two thirds, or about 17,000 acres, is owned by Disney. Next largest private landowner is Four Seasons Resorts of Toronto, which was part of the Four Seasons deal in 2008, at 298 acres, and I believe Four Seasons ceded their board vote to Disney as part of the deal. When Disney nominates someone to the board of RCID, they cede 5 acres of inaccessible, non-buildable land within the RCID to that person, with a contractual caveat that the nominee will return the land to the Disney Co. when they leave the board. The latest member is Tom Moses, who was RC's administrator for 30 years, and the District's second chief exec. He retired officially from RCID in 2001, and was nominated to the board in 2011. He replaced the board president who was one of the original members since 1974, who also helped write the legislation creating the district and co-wrote the district's charter. Besides Tom, there's one of RC's earliest staff members, who hired the original district staff, including the Fire Chief, elected to the Board in 1975. There's Betty, a long-time community member. Her family runs an agri-business in the area, and she's been in an advisory position to the Disney Company for decades. She was on the panel that helped Disney award its charitable contributions prior to being elected to Reedy Creek in 1980. There's a property developer from Osceola County who joined the board at Disney's request in the '90s to add a representative from Osceola Co. And there's a local lawyer who inherited the seat from his father. His Dad worked with the Disney brothers as one of the local bankers who helped assemble the land purchase, and he used to accompany Walt and Roy on the surveying trips as a teen. He has also served on various Reedy Creek boards prior to being asked to take his father's seat on the RCID main board. There actually is a layer of separation between the Board and Disney, and they must report like any other municipality. They also take pride in representing the public interest and take their roles seriously, and have been known to send Disney representatives back to get better answers if they don't get solid answers on projects the company wants to do. So, not necessarily a rubber stamp, but they rarely say no once they get the answers they want/need. Essentially, RC's board consists of people with close ties to the Disney company who have gone back decades and former execs of RC. No different from most boards.

Oh, and the way the elections work is each landowner gets one vote for each acre owned.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It's not. They have a COPPA provision on their website: http://corporate.disney.go.com/corporate/pp.html. It would need to be the same for mobile and FP+. That is the point. If Junior is opted out, then they wouldn't be able to use the mobile device to change all of the FP times together. They would need to use an alternate method.

We could go around in circles forever. If Disneys lawyers decide that having the kid identified as John Doe is in violation of sharing personal information and the parent refuses to consent then they will probably just not be eligible to use FP+ or the mobile app. I'm not sure whether having anonymous children listed on your account is a violation or not anyway, but COPPA privacy laws will not bring this thing down. Like I said, it's just wishful thinking.

WDW1974

Original Poster
COPPA is a HUGE issue with NEXT GEN ... it was brought up as a potential deal-breaker because of its reach.

I do realize that some folks don't have a problem with their children's welfare when a governmental body or a company like Disney is involved. I watched an eight-year-old wheelchair-bound boy get molested by a TSA agent as Mom and hundreds of people walked around O'hare like everything was cool. FWIW, I almost got myself arrested to intervene, but thought it was all a waste as Mom probably would have appeared on FOX or CNN the next day saying she thought that the security was sad but needed. And I would have been out a few grand, likely spent a night or more in a cage and missed a trip to Vegas to celebrate a milestone.

No, I'm not saying Disney's NEXT GEN is going to molest your child, but much like having a child felt up (for all our 'safety'), there's a lot of naive optimism at play as to Disney's preceived noble goals with your kids. Just like they wish to make as much money as possible off of you, they also want to use your children for the same purpose.

I have been 'gifted' a tremendous amount of information relating to TWDC and COPPA, but I'm not comfortable for various reasons (most very obvious) at putting this online now (or possibly at all).

But I would advise those looking for more understanding of the issues at play to look up what happened on Dec. 19th of this past year and to look for one amendment to the act in particular that seems to not make any sense, that is, given the known technology currently in use.

Now ... I'm going to attempt to read some of your thoughts.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I think I'm missing something very basic about all this: So Disney is targeting for those once-in-a-lifetime visitors, because they're the biggest buck (supposedly). If so, how much do they really expect to learn about said visitor in a week on vacation, in a completely new environment, where they're probably not really showing their actual shopping habits but first-time enthusiasm? And more to the point what can they really do with all the information if said family really are a once in a lifetime deal? This doesn't make any sense...

Disney isn't targeting once-in-a-lifetime visitors. That's an Internet/urban/CM/fanboi myth. They want first-timers, but they want as many of them to come back as they can get. But they want the new guests because they're generally a whole lot easier to please. They won't notice all the things that are wrong with the product that most of us lifers do. Pixie dust is potent when you've never had it before.

the.dreamfinder

Disney isn't targeting once-in-a-lifetime visitors. That's an Internet/urban/CM/fanboi myth. They want first-timers, but they want as many of them to come back as they can get. But they want the new guests because they're generally a whole lot easier to please. They won't notice all the things that are wrong with the product that most of us lifers do. Pixie dust is potent when you've never had it before.
I'd would imagine that they're going to push DME really hard?

WDW1974

Original Poster
For repeat guest, they would be able to better 'grade' their guest giving WDW a better way of deciding who to offer pin codes/discounts to. Guest services could have their computers decide how much value you are (to the bottom line) and let the CM know what level of compensation your complaint is worth to them. Resorts could base 'magical upgrades' based on the scores each of their guest have who are checking in that day....

THIS!!!

Guests already have values assigned to them (would love to know those metrics too), but this system will make it a science.

Have a problem with a filthy room at the CBR? Your number may get you a snotty CM who just assures you that 'we're sorry you feel that way, but we've informed housekeeping ... have a MAGICal Day!' all the way up to a move to a room at the GF for the same rate you're paying at CBR to all sorts of possibilities in between.

This system is about totally monetizing and placing a value on everyone who arrives on property.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Given the Supreme Court’s narrow 2012 ruling in United States v. Jones, there are certain to be future legal challenges that come before the courts. The 4th Amendment applies to the Federal government only. However, there still is debate regarding the lawfulness of tracking devices and state legislatures are being encouraged to pass statutes protecting citizens against the use of such devices by private entities.

Disney seems to believe in NextGen so much that they are willing to risk being on the cutting edge of this issue. Remember, NextGen will track you 24/7. It’s capable of tracking you in your hotel room and capable of tracking you when you leave Disney property. As reported, it’s an active transmitting system associated with you personally.

Meanwhile, the competition is not idle. Both Universal and SeaWorld are building major expansions, the traditional way to grow theme park business. Furthermore, it will be in Universal’s and SeaWorld’s best interest to play up NextGen’s most worrisome aspects, to raise questions, to scare the public.

Even if Disney wins the legal challenges, they also face public relations battles, accusations that Disney has become Big Brother. The fact that Disney is aware of these legal and PR aspects and still is willing to invest $1.5B in NextGen should cause the consumer tremendous concern. In business, the greater the risk, the greater the anticipated return on investment. Disney is taking a huge risk with NextGen. Just imagine the return they are expecting. That means money coming out of your pocket for a theme park that offers essentially the same attractions it offered 10 years ago. How exactly is Disney going to make the billions necessary to justify NextGen’s financial, legal, and perception costs?

I would have considerably less objection to NextGen if it was a passive system or if Disney offered an equivalent “opt out” option. According the information recently provided, Disney intends to do neither.

To repeat myself, I object to being tracked like a convicted sex offender released on parole. I strongly suspect others will object as well.

Everything I have heard from multiple people over the years (not simply the recent info) is that there is no opting out and there can't be for it to work. I suppose, you could buy a one-day ticket, get no Fastpasses and throw it the trash as soon as you arrive. But I don't really see that as a viable option.

I strongly suspect after some of what I have heard that even that won't be an option. That you'll actually need that 'chip-tick' (not a cheap tick) to enter queues. I don't know that for a fact, but it sure seems likely.

And I don't like being tracked at all. It's why to this day I do not own a smartphone.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I don't disagree with any of your points about nextgen being a waste of money. Forget about adding anything new to WDW they could have used the $1.5B to refurb the existing parks. Imagine how far that money goes for Splash Mt, Imagination, Yeti, Wonders of Life, refresh of the rest of Fantasyland, new monorails, etc...

Yes, and that is the other truly sickening aspect of this.

Imagine in 2-3 years when Iger is gone, likely Rasulo and Staggs too and a new CEO goes to the BoD because they see a real need to spend $3-5 billion (conservatively) on WDW's parks, resorts and infrastructure and gets shot down because of this tremendous spending ... sure, I guess all the fanbois can start hoping and talking about a DL-like fix-up of WDW in eight years for the 50th because the Board won't be letting very much capital head to the FLA swamps.

WDW1974

Original Poster
WDW1974-You are right about it being a democracy. Has anybody thought that this might be a test run for this tech to be used in Shanghai? A place that is not a democracy and the people are used to the government tracking their every move already? The money Disney could make off this tech in the growing Asian market could well recoup 2 billion and a whole lot more.

No, this won't be used in Shanghai.

They think it will be in Anaheim and Paris. Let me just state here, that that will never happen. Not in this form anyway.

the.dreamfinder

original

HenryMystic

This system is about totally monetizing and placing a value on everyone who arrives on property.
And this spirit won't be valued by the mouse until I have a wife and 2.5 kids. NexGen would probably put a negative value on me currently. I pay for nothing! (Benefits of having CM pals)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom