Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

ParentsOf4

Are you claiming that the project is a violation of the Constitution because Reedy Creek is a government controlled by Disney? That's an honest question, not some rhetorical snarkiness.
I'm simply suggesting the Supreme Court frequently brushes aside legal "tricks" played by attorneys to get to the heart of a matter.

The history of the Reedy Creek Improvement District is well-known. RCID was given the rights of a municipality. Legal pretenses aside, exactly who controls it?

jlsHouston

They do care about repeat business. The data collected on you very likely will be used to get you to spend more while you are still there or to get you to return. For instance, if they see you are traveling with children but have not booked a character meal and you are in the MK with no ADR they may shoot you an e-mail suggesting Chef Mickeys for dinner tonight. If Chef Mickeys has a large number of open tables maybe that offer comes as a buy one get one free or 20% off. After you leave they will know that you went to Wishes twice (so you like fireworks), but missed Illuminations while you were there. They also know that you ate 3 meals in World Showcase. You may get an offer to return next year and stay at the Beach Club (which is near World Showcase) and the offer will include a VIP spot to watch Illuminations. The offer will be at some discount but will only be good for next year. These are just a few of the endless examples that could come up. If you think about repeat guests, they all had to have a first visit some time.

I am still not clear on what Information or how much will be sold to other retailers. It was vaguely hinted at in the original post and a lot of people ran with it. I think we need more details before overreacting. This could become another Starbucks thread really quickly with people stating opinions or possibilities as facts.

Honestly I don't think Disney cares that much about repeat business... I have yet to ever receive a PIN code, I never get any emails or paper mail about specials or offers since I am not an AP holder, a DVC member or a disney VISA holder... I have yet to see one thing disney has done to entice me back to the World in terms of marketing except for maybe the room specials and free dining that is available to everyone when they run those specials. Tell me when Disney has used any data they have on me or any of us for that matter as repeat guests over the year(s) to entice us to return and spend. They don't want to collect data on their patrons to enhance the experience. I think this nextgen thing is to mine/sell my personal habit data for a price tag to others and to perhaps use as it has been suggested in a previous poster to text me or beep me offers throughout the day while I am on vacation at their resort to get me to spend additional monies I hadn't even thought about spending. I have one word for all this and I will clean it up to post it : YUCK.

jlsHouston

DHS I assume.
tin-foil-starwars.jpg

hahaha

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Unfortunately referencing Junior as 'little Johnny Doe' doesn't necessarily get them around the problem. Simply the act of linking him to his mother's account is considered personally identifiable information. As far as controlling multiple members of a party through one account, each of those members must be identified, so the information is still being tracked as a separate entity in the database. Really the only option is for Mom, Dad and Junior to be required to use the kiosk, but can you imagine the nightmare for CMs trying to explain why they can't use their app when everyone else can just because they opted out?

They are linked on the hotel reservations now. You have to give the names of each member of your party. I don't see how that is in violation of the rules.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Honestly I don't think Disney cares that much about repeat business... I have yet to ever receive a PIN code, I never get any emails or paper mail about specials or offers since I am not an AP holder, a DVC member or a disney VISA holder... I have yet to see one thing disney has done to entice me back to the World in terms of marketing except for maybe the room specials and free dining that is available to everyone when they run those specials. Tell me when Disney has used any data they have on me or any of us for that matter as repeat guests over the year(s) to entice us to return and spend. They don't want to collect data on their patrons to enhance the experience. I think this nextgen thing is to mine/sell my personal habit data for a price tag to others and to perhaps use as it has been suggested in a previous poster to text me or beep me offers throughout the day while I am on vacation at their resort to get me to spend additional monies I hadn't even thought about spending. I have one word for all this and I will clean it up to post it : YUCK.

They will have a hard time selling your personal data to a third party without your consent. It's in their privacy policy now. I posted it somewhere back a few pages. I don't see them amending it for this. Again this is just my opinion.

Goofyernmost

Or he/she could be assuming that we all get the literary reference and is using the year to make a dig at the WDW of today.....I'd assume if you didn't get the reference you wouldn't quote it because the post would seem incredibly odd, but people do odd things.
No, I was referring to literary 1984, but, to put a finer point on it. I was in Disney at some point in 1984 and I'm here to tell ya, it wasn't all that pristine back then, in fact it was dull, lacking in sharp colors and contained a lot of AA's that weren't working. That was MK. It was really nice in Epcot, but it was brand new then and was the apple of Disney Co.'s eye. I wasn't a kid at the time, I was 36 years old with two kids and a wife. I loved the place but I was never blinded by the light.

ULPO46

I'm simply suggesting the Supreme Court frequently brushes aside legal "tricks" played by attorneys to get to the heart of a matter.

The history of the Reedy Creek Improvement District is well-known. RCID was given the rights of a municipality. Legal pretenses aside, exactly who controls it?
Disney has full power over it and it was signed by then governor of Florida during the sixties. By state law and federal law RCID has full right and control of the area under management but the WDC. By law they were the last company in the state if Florida who could buy land and make it into their own city no other company is allowed to do that anymore. The RCID has the power to build an airport and a nuclear power plant if they so pleased.

lazyboy97o

Disney has full power over it and it was signed by then governor of Florida during the sixties. By state law and federal law RCID has full right and control of the area under management but the WDC. By law they were the last company in the state if Florida who could buy land and make it into their own city no other company is allowed to do that anymore. The RCID has the power to build an airport and a nuclear power plant if they so pleased.
You really need to do some better research on the Reedy Creek Improvement District. Almost none of this is correct.

SirOinksALot

Disney is private property whereas a normal government entity is not. Orlando doesn't "own" downtown. If someone saw you walking down Main Street and told you to get out because your hair was cut crooked, they could. It wouldn't be good for business obviously.

BigThunderMatt

Disney is private property whereas a normal government entity is not. Orlando doesn't "own" downtown. If someone saw you walking down Main Street and told you to get out because your hair was cut crooked, they could. It wouldn't be good for business obviously.

They used to do this in Disneyland back in the 60s. The guests involved were typically called "hippies". Then they suddenly realized these hippies had money too.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
They will have a hard time selling your personal data to a third party without your consent. It's in their privacy policy now. I posted it somewhere back a few pages. I don't see them amending it for this. Again this is just my opinion.

Implied consent. ie...you use RFID, you consent to sale of info.

toolsnspools

Still trying to figure out how this will enhance my vacation experience... If they can reduce the amount of time I spend waiting in lines that would be a good thing. I guess if they can figure out crowd control in a way that is sell-able, they'll have a product to market and recoup the costs. There aren't many other (maybe none) sites in the US that are like WDW. Perhaps something they expect to be able to sell to the government? If they can find a way to get the right number of buses to each bus stop at park close, or entice people to Space Mt. when Frontierland is too crowded, then maybe there's a way to reduce congestion on the highway or in the city? If you're talking about a couple $Billion, then a government contract would be the fastest way to recoup the $$. (Not trying to make this a political conversation, so please don't go there.)

flynnibus

Premium Member
Competitive differences are not the same as competitive edges. I don't doubt the differences exist from NextGen vs traditional experiences -- I doubt their utility to the bottom line, which is really what matters. This is a huge datamining operation to hopefully allow Disney to engage in targeting advertising

Its amazing when people are critical of NextGen.. that the project somehow morphs into only being that one thing they are complaining about. On a Wednesday.. it's 2billion for FP+.. on Sunday it's 2billion for datamining.. etc.

As for competive edge... when Disney alters the expectations of what waiting in a theme park means.. that will make others seem outdated. Like who waits to wait an hour for fireworks.. when you could just show up at the right time? or who wants to wait in lines to meet characters, etc. These types of changes, amoung others, will ultimately change the customer expectations in the parks.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Implied consent. ie...you use RFID, you consent to sale of info.

The Walt Disney Company's Corporate Privacy Policy says this:
Sharing Your Information with Other Companies
We will not share your personal information outside The Walt Disney Family of Companies except in limited circumstances, including:

• When you allow us to share your personal information with another company, such as:
    • Electing to share your personal information with carefully selected companies so that they can send you offers and promotions about their products and services
    • Directing us to share your personal information with third-party sites or platforms, such as social networking sites
    Please note that once we share your personal information with another company, the information received by the other company becomes subject to the other company's privacy practices.

• They would have to change the policy to allow it. I'm not saying they won't or can't change it, but implied consent would not be acceptible under the current privacy policy.

Lil Fort

They are linked on the hotel reservations now. You have to give the names of each member of your party. I don't see how that is in violation of the rules.
It's not. They have a COPPA provision on their website: http://corporate.disney.go.com/corporate/pp.html. It would need to be the same for mobile and FP+. That is the point. If Junior is opted out, then they wouldn't be able to use the mobile device to change all of the FP times together. They would need to use an alternate method.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom