Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

maxairmike

You will lose a number of guests with this ... what's worse is the way Disney is implimenting it. Sort of like cutting a steak into 64 pieces and serving them one by one and not daily and not to everyone who is in the queue to dine.

It's a little bit here, a little bit there. Worse, it may be like this for the next 18 months ... or longer. No one knows how this tech will actually work when it HAS to work for EVERYONE.

And all of that absolutely will have an effect on the bottom line.

BTW, have we talked yet about how one goal of this is to reduce front gate Ops to a skeleton crew? Sorta like self check out at the Home Depot? We haven't? Oh well, there's that too ...

And that looks like it will fail miserably when it comes to that goal, even as much as five years from now. I currently count about 8-10 people standing around at DHS' new entry, and it pretty much scales up from there at the other parks where there are more of them open. They still have an ops person at each group of 4 touch points (same as having one per turnstile), plus a GRAPE (I snicker every time I hear that) for every two sets, plus a few of the NGE folks (blue shirts with the Mickey logo) at all times. While they will likely decrease the number by a few over the next few years, they will still need more than they did with the turnstiles between the ops and GR folks. So that is definitely going to be a failure, unless they really think one ops person can cover more than one set of touch points successfully.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
But yes, folks from NY, NJ, CT, MA....if you're from up here and don't agree that we can be a-holes either at times or all the time, then you're blind.
There are rude people everywhere, but I do think I know why there seem to more in the North East.....you poor souls are taxed so danged heavy it makes your lives miserable.....but thats just my opinion.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Nor do yours...I'm just saying what I heard from them and you are saying what you heard from your friends. I guess if you average them out it is a 50/50 situation. Perhaps the real life background of the people we talked to were different enough to warrant different responses. I don't know! I just know what they said to me and there wasn't one paranoid, I'm being watched, response among them. Most, including myself, already know that we are being watched and counted in theme parks and in many of our regular everyday encounters. There's been nothing new about that since, oh, I don't know, maybe 1984.:)

My opinion is that it's all in how you present the program. If you approach 10 people and tell them that Disney is rolling out a new system which tracks your every move in the parks, bombards you with ads, targets your children, makes lines longer and requires you to plan every minute of your vacation months in advance all 10 will probably say they think it's a terrible idea. If you present it to 10 people as a way to book FP for your favorite rides in advance instead of waiting in lines (including reserved spots for parades and fireworks) and the system will enable you to activate interactive elements in rides and queues with the wave of your wrist and it all is free with the cost of admission 9 out of 10 will probably say that sounds good (there are always people who resist change no matter what). Your presentation is going to be biased by your own point of view. We don't work for Disney and have no obligation to present this to anyone fairly or without bias so I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong.

awoogala

Don't pin that on all New Yorkers, it's just the ones from Long Island;).

In all seriousness, in my experience people in the Midwest are generally a lot friendlier and laid back than those of us from the Northeast. There is a different pace to life or something. It's a huge stereotype which has many holes in it, but as a generalization it's fairly accurate.

In my experince, there are loud people everywhere who expect you to treat them with preferential treatment, and act like boorish mules.
The only big difference between us northeastern types is speed. The pace of life is much faster. So, acclimating to the slower easy pace of the southern and midwestern states tend to make us seem a bit impatient or brusque, since everything is soooo much slower. I am always better at the end of my vacation then the beginning, when I have had time to acclimate.
In my area, everything and everyone moves so fast, that the first few days, even in wdw, tends to seem excruciatingly slow, with everyone talking, making eye contact, etc.
When I have dealt with southerners or midwesterners, in nj, they have always gotten flustered, and felt I was rushing them, or even being rude.
It's cultural. In NE, talk fast, expect fast service, not much in chit-chat. In MW and southern states, expect a lot more chatter and a slower time frame for things. Neither is wrong- but if you expect a cappucino in 25 seconds out of the ne, or you want to chat for 5 minutes with a barista, you need to realize that! ;)

Goofyernmost

My opinion is that it's all in how you present the program. If you approach 10 people and tell them that Disney is rolling out a new system which tracks your every move in the parks, bombards you with ads, targets your children, makes lines longer and requires you to plan every minute of your vacation months in advance all 10 will probably say they think it's a terrible idea. If you present it to 10 people as a way to book FP for your favorite rides in advance instead of waiting in lines (including reserved spots for parades and fireworks) and the system will enable you to activate interactive elements in rides and queues with the wave of your wrist and it all is free with the cost of admission 9 out of 10 will probably say that sounds good (there are always people who resist change no matter what). Your presentation is going to be biased by your own point of view. We don't work for Disney and have no obligation to present this to anyone fairly or without bias so I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong.
This is how I approached the subject. I asked...have you heard that Disney is rolling out a new program that is costing them 1.5 billion dollars. Then I added that you will be able to have a wrist band that will be used as a ticket for entry, to charge to your account and be able to be used as a room key as well. Then I said, that they will be able to track where you are in the park, what store you are in, what you are buying, what ride you are waiting for, where you ate, etc. I didn't try to influence one way of the other just what that might imply. They were all adults and had the capability to think for themselves. I guess from the mere fact that I did mention specifics about the situation, I was leading in, but it didn't feel like that. It's hard for me to be bias because I don't really know where I stand on this system. Talking about it is one thing, once it is actually implemented is what we are really going to get. Then I'll know what I think about it, until then there is nothing I can intelligently argue, or have the power to influence when it comes to whether or not it ever actually is put in place.

I never even mentioned FP+ because, well, I guess I'm stupid and I have no idea how that is supposed to work and whether or not it will be beneficial or not. The fact about planning is not a new subject that will come about because of NextGen, it's already in place with ADR's so nothing new there. The place still requires extensive planning if you are staying on site without independent transportation even without NextGen.

Figments Friend

Oh, and you gotta love the respect Disney showed to Tony. 47.5 years and NO press release and nothing on The Disney Parks Blog. But that is what I logged on to discuss when I found this mess. ... oh, and wondering if the fact Tony was deadset against NEXT GEN hastened his departure from WDI.

Depressing....but not surprising.
I love Tony. It has been very frustrating to see his wonderful talents surpressed for the sake of inter-company political reasons. It is outrageous that his influence has been allowed to diminish, and that crap projects get the full go-ahead and Tony is left their scratching his head.

I wish the man well...and hope he finds happiness again.

Tiggerrules

@wdwd1974 can you elaborate on the implementation issues that you mentioned are delaying the project?

From what I have read about this system it is mostly an access control system with some bells and whistles. I have worked in this area for 27 years and see some issues with a system of this size and scope, mainly maintenance. This system will require a enormous amount of maintenance, and given WDW track record on maintaining infratucture, this could be huge problem (and investment needed) down the road. Given a large portion of the readers will be exposed to the elements of Floridas weather, these devices will require constant maintenance.

Another concern would be these systems would need to be connected to a central system, a system that ties it all together. Does Disney have a contigency plan in place should that system fail? I would hope so.

Another issue I see is more related to show. In the interactive queue lines, are the effects going to be all that outstanding after you have seen the 30-40 people before you experience the effect. Not much WOW factor there. As opposed to rides where the next scene can be hidden until your vehicle turns the corner or spins to bring the show in front of you.

In regards to maintenance, last Novemeber we stayed at Old Key West and it had the RFID locks on the door. The cover to the door on our villa kept falling off, so I brought to the attention of the manager on duty (along with several other problems with our villa). His response was that it was happening to the majority of the doors there, they beleived the guests did not understand that they just needed to hold the card in front of the lock and were prying the covers up to thinking the slot to insert the card was under it. However, they never repaired the lock the week were there and noticed several other doors with the same issue. If they cannot even get this part of it maintained, I am not sure how they are going to maintain the more sophisticated readers in the park.

Back to lurking now. Unless I see something I feel is up my alley for responding too.

Figments Friend

'74 at some point in his career, perhaps even somewhere in this thread, stated that things were going to get worse before they get better. I'd say there is hope, just difficult to see it right now.
-
Oh...when will that blessed Spirited Change come..?

Waiting paitiently..as the mountain seems to crumble around us...
The night is always darkest before the dawn, i keep telling myself...
:oops:

Captain Chaos

Nor do yours...I'm just saying what I heard from them and you are saying what you heard from your friends. I guess if you average them out it is a 50/50 situation. Perhaps the real life background of the people we talked to were different enough to warrant different responses. I don't know! I just know what they said to me and there wasn't one paranoid, I'm being watched, response among them. Most, including myself, already know that we are being watched and counted in theme parks and in many of our regular everyday encounters. There's been nothing new about that since, oh, I don't know, maybe 1984.:)
I know mine don't speak for the rest of the world... Never pretended they do, unlike others here who like to toss around how they spoke to several people and blah blah blah so that proves blah blah blah... Not saying that is what you did with your post, but you know that people around here have done that, especially with Avatar... But let's not go down that road... I've had enough with the Avatar discussions LOL...

tracyandalex

BTW, have we talked yet about how one goal of this is to reduce front gate Ops to a skeleton crew? Sorta like self check out at the Home Depot? We haven't? Oh well, there's that too ...

I have been wondering about this. It seems like the logical conclusion to draw. I assume there will have to be one CM at each Mickey tap thingy, but that would be it especially once everything gets up and running. Would these CMs be absorbed into the rest of the park, or let go? I'm pretty sure I didn't actually have to ask that question :(

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Don't pin that on all New Yorkers, it's just the ones from Long Island;).

In all seriousness, in my experience people in the Midwest are generally a lot friendlier and laid back than those of us from the Northeast. There is a different pace to life or something. It's a huge stereotype which has many holes in it, but as a generalization it's fairly accurate.

I live on Long Island and that's a bunch of crap. There are idiots in every state in this country. There are a lot of people in New York and because someone takes issue with a few of the many doesn't mean we are all that way. Does southern hospitality exist here? No but we help eachother out big time when needed. It is a fast paced place where people often don't like dealing with nonsense because there is quite a bit of nonsense going on in Manhattan routinely.

Mouse Detective

>I live on Long Island and that's a bunch of crap.
>There are idiots in every state in this country.
>It is a fast paced place where people often don't like dealing with nonsense because there is quite a bit of nonsense going on in Manhattan routinely.

Perfect examples of that NY attitude.
But I guess that was your intent.
Or was it?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I live on Long Island and that's a bunch of crap. There are idiots in every state in this country. There are a lot of people in New York and because someone takes issue with a few of the many doesn't mean we are all that way. Does southern hospitality exist here? No but we help eachother out big time when needed. It is a fast paced place where people often don't like dealing with nonsense because there is quite a bit of nonsense going on in Manhattan routinely.
I certainly didnt intend to start this argument. The Long Island thing was a joke making light of the original post about New Yorkers, hence the winking smiley thing. I even started the next sentence with "in all seriousness". My personal observation about the Midwest is just that, my personal observation. I regularly visit several Midwestern cities for work and lived in one for several months. Aside from the airports being much, much better than the Northeast (Chicago excluded) IMHO the people are more friendly and the pace of life is more laid back. I did say it's a stereotype and a generalization and I obviously have not met everyone from there. I know that not everyone from the Midwest or South fits this bill and not everyone from the Northeast has an attitude problem.

Genie of the Lamp

You go girl!!! Way to stand up for your peeps when someone calls em out. Y'all help your bros and sis's out when the tough get going you fight through. May the O/all mighty merciful and praiseful lord Jesus Christ stand on your side and watch over Long Island and your peeps. Amen to that (Man too much gospel in me now, plus I over dosed on my Pixie Dust today)!

Edit: I'm literally dying with laughter from this poster below me:p

njDizFan

What the EF** you people talking about...We're fast, loud and proud :p . If you live in the NE you better get with the program and hurry the heck up. We don't have time for niceties, there are things that need to be done yesterday.

Honestly...it is a different lifestyle. Whenever I go down south or out west, I'm astonished when a stranger says hello or wishes me a good or "blessed" day. It's not natural and almost feels creepy. We have manners but to a point and we are close knit in our own way. I'm sure it has much to do with the melding of so many cultures and the ease of verbalizing your needs..added with the stress and constant need for urgency.

I would not have it any other way. I find too much pleasantries to be abrasive and kind of forced. The southern/midwest culture is..well..just not for me.

Goofyernmost

I find too much pleasantries to be abrasive and kind of forced. The southern/midwest culture is..well..just not for me.
Yes, it's a terrible burden to be greeted with a smile, a pleasant inquiry as to what they can do to help you. Friendly acceptance of anyone until, of course, you abuse that southern hospitality, then they will turn on you and issue a staggering "well bless your heart". and be on their way. When you ask them "how you doin", they smile and say, "I'm doing well and I hope you are too". Yes, it's a terribly creepy thing. It's been two years now and I've been southern hospitalitized practically to death. :eek:

I do so miss the old, I'm not going to talk to you unless you tell me that I'm bleeding, don't look at me, don't make any contact or even acknowledge that I exist as I rush on by, way that it is in a lot of New England places. Yup, sure is creepy down here, Y'all!:D

njDizFan

Yes, it's a terrible burden to be greeted with a smile, a pleasant inquiry as to what they can do to help you. Friendly acceptance of anyone until, of course, you abuse that southern hospitality, then they will turn on you and issue a staggering "well bless your heart". and be on their way. When you ask them "how you doin", they smile and say, "I'm doing well and I hope you are too". Yes, it's a terribly creepy thing. It's been two years now and I've been southern hospitalized practically to death. :eek:

I do so miss the old, I'm not going to talk to you unless you tell me that I'm bleeding, don't look at me, don't make any contact or even acknowledge that I exist as I rush on by, way that it is in a lot of New England places. Yup, sure is creepy down here, Y'all!:D
Yes...you do understand..thank you

Oh that was sarcasm, well then I guess we disagree.

donaldtoo

I guarantee, us folks down here in the nether, fly-over, regions of the contiguous 48 do just as well with life and gettin' 'er done as y'all do up there in Wedoitbetterland. We just do it pleasantly, with a smile on our faces, and without our unmentionables wadded up, in the process. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom