Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

Pixiedustmaker

I don't think RFID will necessarily scare too many folks off.
An equally big concern...

Dad: Want to go to Disney World.
Kid: Yes!

(Fast-forward a couple months...)
*Dad bangs his head on his desk*

Kid: What's wrong, dad?
Dad: I can't get our ADRs and FP+ days and times to match up! Plus, I'm still trying to figure out how to get this whole MyDisneyMagicExperience+ to work right. How 'bout from now on we just go to Universal instead? It's much less complicated.
Kid: Cool. I'd rather ride Potter than Mermaid any day!

But if you're freaked out about ADRs and FP+ (not the majority of guests?) then you are a hardcore Disney addict and you probably will come even though you can't get the FP online. Doubt it will be that hard for people born after 1930.

ParentsOf4

But why is Markey "angry" with Disney? I don't think Iger was rude to him, but pointed out that the answers to his questions could be found online. Some of the politicians in the House and Senate are certifiable, but many are friends of Disney, like those from states surrounding Florida, CA, and others. Iger might run for political office, so maybe its Markey who should worry about not offending him.
See, we agree here. Markey had an agenda. Markey was grandstanding. Politicians do it all the time. What a smart company does is not help the politician grandstand.

the.dreamfinder

I don't think RFID will necessarily scare too many folks off.
An equally big concern...

Dad: Want to go to Disney World.
Kid: Yes!

(Fast-forward a couple months...)
*Dad bangs his head on his desk*

Kid: What's wrong, dad?
Dad: I can't get our ADRs and FP+ days and times to match up! Plus, I'm still trying to figure out how to get this whole MyDisneyMagicExperience+ to work right. How 'bout from now on we just go to Universal instead? It's much less complicated.
Kid: Cool. I'd rather ride Potter than Mermaid any day!
The whole "let's treat Disney World like a cruise line" will be the biggest turnoff for the average guest.

Longhairbear

When Walt Disney World first opened, some of the CM's went nuts trying to placate whinny New Yorkers and they'd go bowling and pretend that the pins were the pinheads from New York. I've lived all over the country and the northeast, in general, has an attitude problem based on my observations.
I just wanted you to know that you insulted me, my family, and friends.

Genie of the Lamp

That wasn't the Brandon I was thinking of, though I can't read Asianway or Tony's minds. However, the windows I believe Asianway was referring to are the ones on Buena Vista Street, coincidentally enough.

Edit: Brandon Kleyla was who I was thinking of. http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...in-disney-california-adventure-park-part-one/

My bad yo. Just spent literally a half hour google search typing the names that Tony mentioned in his letter then tacked on WDI after that to see which one I thought he was referring to and tried to do my best. But your right though, you found the right Brandon. My apologies.

Pixiedustmaker

See, we agree here. Markey had an agenda. Markey was grandstanding. Politicians do it all the time. What a smart company does is not help the politician grandstand.

I don't know, I think some people might agree with Iger given that Markey was reaching . . . reaching for a branch on a tree on the other side of the park. It is obvious that Markey didn't do his research. Not all politicians grandstand, not all of them do it all of the time. Has to be one of the most ridiculous political maneuvers I've seen. Iger shot him down, IMHO, story over.

the.dreamfinder

But if you're freaked out about ADRs and FP+ (not the majority of guests?) then you are a hardcore Disney addict and you probably will come even though you can't get the FP online. Doubt it will be that hard for people born after 1930.
I really don't think a guest will be happy when a ride like Pirates or Mansion or Star Tours has 1-2 hour waits in the off season. The average guest can't tolerate it when rides like Soarin' or Toy Story Mania have 2-3 hour waits, what happens if that's the norm for 60-80% of rides?

ParentsOf4

Maybe some will be drawn in because of the program. Advertising is tricky, a lot of it is subliminal . . . I think primarily families go because they want to go to Disney World and ride the rides and have a good vacation. Maybe NextGen will encourage them to return as I'm thinking you have to experience it to see the value?
Again, we agree. NextGen won't be the make-or-break decision for most families. But, as @Lee alludes to, it goes into the equation. As I suggested earlier, if even a small percentage are turned off by MyMagic+, it could seriously hurt WDW's financial performance.

Pixiedustmaker

I said in general, many New Yorkers are nice, actually some of the nicest people I've met, others had an attitude, and it seemed to get worse the further north you go. Obviously, I am not referring to you or your family specifically, and I think some of your friends/family would chuckle as I have lived in major northeastern cities and I'm sure they now what I'm talking about.

Pixiedustmaker

I don't think that Iger bailed out Markey by pointing out that he simply didn't do his homework. I read Markey's concerns, and they seemed kinda basic, and as if he really hadn't gone beyond the basic questions which will be answered.

It is your personal opinion that Iger somehow made a mistake, (maybe they are covering this in the bay state?), but it sure isn't being kicked around the news cycle. If Markey had grandiose visions of spearheading a crusade against NextGen . . . nobody in the national media batted an eyebrow.

ParentsOf4

I don't know, I think some people might agree with Iger given that Markey was reaching . . . reaching for a branch on a tree on the other side of the park. It is obvious that Markey didn't do his research. Not all politicians grandstand, not all of them do it all of the time. Has to be one of the most ridiculous political maneuvers I've seen. Iger shot him down, IMHO, story over.
Politicians often ask questions they already know the answers to. They are not on "fact finding missions"; they are trying to score political points. That's why Markey's letter was public. He knew the answers to most of the questions and was just trying to score points with the overwhelming public who don't read this forum and don't know the answers.

Iger's hostile response suggests he forget one of the basic rules of politics; don't give the other side ammunition. Iger's response might very well help Markey score political points.

As I posted earlier on this thread, with Scott Brown out of the race, I think Markey does nothing with it until he's in the Senate. Once he's in the Democratic controlled Senate, he can use Iger's letter as an excuse to score some more political points. Until then, he's the frontrunner and the Senate election is his to lose. He does not want to rock the boat at this time.

I'm not trying to defend Markey, only trying to explain what I think might be happening and how it might impact Disney. Since this forum is about Disney and this thread is about "opinions", I think at least some people might be interested in reading what this exchange of letters might mean.

Pixiedustmaker

Politicians often ask questions they already know the answers to. They are not on "fact finding missions"; they are trying to score political points. That's why Markey's letter was public.

Iger's hostile response suggests he forget one of the basic rules of politics. Iger's response might very well help Markey score political points.

The characterization of Iger's response as "hostile" is subjective, even so, if Markey was acting loopy by not researching stuff, Iger could be legitimately peaved that Markey didn't do his due diligence. I think Iger swatted him down like a bug, and made him look like an amateur.

Foaming at the mouth may have worked well for Barney Frank, but it doesn't play well in Peoria. People out of Mass probably wonder if Markey has rabies or something . . . you get the picture. Anger over loose gun control is important, anger against the beloved Mickey Mouse and Disney over what looks like is a good idea and the future . . . poor move Markey.

As I posted earlier on this thread, with Scott Brown out of the race, I still think Markey does nothing with it until he's in the Senate. Once he's in the Democratic controlled Senate, he can use Iger's letter as an excuse to score some more political points. Until then, he's the frontrunner and the Senate election is his to lose. He does not want to rock the boat at this time.

If Markey scored political points against Iger in a clear manner, don't see why he couldn't trot that out as something noncontroversial to talk about during the election.

I've been watching Washington Week, reading Time, since the early 1990s, and read politics all the time on the web. I don't at all see your angle with regards to using Iger's letter. Like an imbecile, he could dance around the well of the Senate and yell about Mr. Iger being mean to him . . . nobody cares, actually, Disney has deep pockets and donates to campaigns, and some famous politicians have been on Disney's board.

I'm not trying to defend Markey, only trying to explain what I think might be happening and how it might impact Disney. Since this forum is about Disney and this thread is about "opinions", I think at least some people might be interested in reading what this exchange of letters might mean.

You believe that Markey is waiting to launch an attack on Disney when he gets into the Senate. Even if he wanted to, can he convince enough Senators to do this? Very, very doubtful. What would the bill be? The "Let's Attack the Blatantly Evil Next Gen of Disney Bill!"

There's also the House. I suppose for some reason he'll be able to get the votes needed there?

Markey . . . doesn't matter in a way that could harm Disney, Iger knows it, and called him on it, and for wading into an issue he doesn't understand.

Pixiedustmaker

I really don't think a guest will be happy when a ride like Pirates or Mansion or Star Tours has 1-2 hour waits in the off season. The average guest can't tolerate it when rides like Soarin' or Toy Story Mania have 2-3 hour waits, what happens if that's the norm for 60-80% of rides?

Obviously MK/WDW needs more rides. Plain and simple. NextGen let's some organized guests who know what they want avoid the wait in some rides, treats the symptoms, but not the disease.

WDW1974

Original Poster
C'mon guys, let's respect the thread and each other. No BS about politics in general and let's keep the insults against New Englanders (I am a proud Boston elitist!) out of this. It also would be nice to not debate the same point. I firmly KNOW that Iger handled the situation wrong, but I have worked in media and PR. Others may be of the opinion that Markey had no right to question Iger publically (that actually IS part of his job), but that's been debated and discussed in this thread. Much like how much Disney can track you, I think it has played out until more info comes out.

Steve and I have discussed the fact the thread is getting too large and I was going to suggest moving the two main current topics of MM+ implimentation and what Baxter's 'retirement' really mean to a new thread soon. I think there's another thread where Iger vs. Markey is taking place.

Oh, and you gotta love the respect Disney showed to Tony. 47.5 years and NO press release and nothing on The Disney Parks Blog. But that is what I logged on to discuss when I found this mess. ... oh, and wondering if the fact Tony was deadset against NEXT GEN hastened his departure from WDI.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Bookmarking this for later.. so we can check back on these 2-3hr waits on 60-80% of the exaggeration.. er I mean rides after the system is rolled out.

MerlinTheGoat

EDIT- Sorry WDW1974, posted before I read your comment.

I said in general, many New Yorkers are nice, actually some of the nicest people I've met, others had an attitude, and it seemed to get worse the further north you go. Obviously, I am not referring to you or your family specifically, and I think some of your friends/family would chuckle as I have lived in major northeastern cities and I'm sure they now what I'm talking about.
Then if you're going to play with words, it's best to be careful and know what the phrase you're using means before throwing it out there in an insulting manner. The phrase "in general" is used to specifically mean either "all" or "most", extremely few to none being excluded there.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/in general

From my own experience, rudeness/meanness is not exclusive to any particular area (or areas) on the planet. In fact, it's extremely rude (not to mention ignorant and shallow) to make such broad assumptions about certain groups of people.

I'd say it's fair to feel that way. I'm not from the north BTW. I've lived in both Tennessee and in Florida . Been pretty happy with both. But both places have had nice and mean people. Now it probably wouldn't bother me if some idiot went and said that people from Florida in general are mean, I don't let things like that bother me. I totally get why someone would be offended and don't blame them, i've simply noticed that people who make such ignorant and shallow comments will often dig their own graves. But the comment would nevertheless be ignorant and shallow, a fallacy of hasty generalization. I've also traveled to northern states, farther east (and over to Europe), as well as out west as far as Colorado (planning on California soon). I have met nice and rude people regardless of where I've traveled and I haven't really noticed solid trends specific to certain areas.

WDW1974

Original Poster
You raise an interesting point, Spirit. Is Tony bound by some non-compete clause for the next few years, which is why he's doing the consultant thing rather than cut bait and run?

Trying to ascertain that information.

Although (sadly) knowing Tony ... well, he's such a Disney lifer that I think it would take a mind-blowing offer to get him to work elsewhere (like UNI). BUT ... with all the utter disrespect he has been treated with for the last 12-15 years, maybe he'd like to stick the knife in and turn it.

I sure would. Disney has it coming.

Californian Elitist

Oh, and you gotta love the respect Disney showed to Tony. 47.5 years and NO press release and nothing on The Disney Parks Blog. But that is what I logged on to discuss when I found this mess. ... oh, and wondering if the fact Tony was deadset against NEXT GEN hastened his departure from WDI.

No respect at all. SMH. Even the OC Register managed to write a small article on his departure. This is a sad day for the Tony Baxter fans. This has been hard to hear. Such a downer.

I'm hoping a signing or a "Meet Tony Baxter" event pops up sometime in SoCal. Soon, hopefully.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom