Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

HMF

At this point, Unless they find a way to ressurect Walt, I fear that things at WDC will continue to decline.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
I certainly didnt intend to start this argument. The Long Island thing was a joke making light of the original post about New Yorkers, hence the winking smiley thing. I even started the next sentence with "in all seriousness". My personal observation about the Midwest is just that, my personal observation. I regularly visit several Midwestern cities for work and lived in one for several months. Aside from the airports being much, much better than the Northeast (Chicago excluded) IMHO the people are more friendly and the pace of life is more laid back. I did say it's a stereotype and a generalization and I obviously have not met everyone from there. I know that not everyone from the Midwest or South fits this bill and not everyone from the Northeast has an attitude problem.

Sorry I was directing it really at you just the sentiment. I think the perception comes from people who aren't so open like they are in other places. I think it stems from having so many people so close together. Mix that with just an overall busy lifestyle.

Nonetheless New Yorkers are not ice hearted idiots. We send out FDNY and NYPD all over the world to help those in need. For example the FDNY and New Orleans FD have a pretty unique brotherhood. They were here like many after 9/11 and we were there for Katrina. They were just here a few months ago to help with Sandy. I think instances like that better define NYers and Americans overall. We all rise to the occasion and in the midst of such crap in the world today, we still have that to be thankful for.

TP2000

Thankfully, Tony is alive and well. And if he isn't somehow contracturally bound to Disney, he just has to go over to UNI ... he has to. I think it's at the point where the only way you save WDI is by destroying it.

First off, I have always thought very highly of Tony Baxter. His big E Tickets from the 1980's and 90's are some of my all-time favorites (although Rocket Rods was just painfully dumb, but we can blame Pressler for that one.) I've heard him speak at fan events a few times over the last 15 years, and he lives near me in Anaheim Hills and I see him tool around the neighborhood with his Indy license plate. The man is not only a creative genius and Imagineering legend, he's also a very nice guy.

That said, does WDI really need destroying? Tony Baxter had nothing to do with Cars Land or Buena Vista Street. Tony even references Cars Land in his farewell letter as an example of great Imagineering. It would seem to me that Cars Land, Buena Vista Street, and the other successful cosmetic rehabs that created DCA 2.0 for 2012 are proof that WDI can still create and design top-notch theme park installations ready for decades of success without Tony Baxter at the helm.

Heck, even the new Fantasy Faire at Disneyland that opens next month and appears to be gorgeously designed and thought out didn't have the Baxter presence on it. The recent videos released to the press all had other Imagineers fronting for it.

Not that I'm not sad to see Tony go, or be pushed out as it were, but with a crop of great (and younger) Imagineers like Kathy Mangum, Kevin Rafferty, etc. still actively on the payroll, does it really require destroying WDI?

Californian Elitist

Heck, even the new Fantasy Faire at Disneyland that opens next month and appears to be gorgeously designed and thought out didn't have the Baxter presence on it. The recent videos released to the press all had other Imagineers fronting for it.

I'm pretty sure Tony did have a hand in Disneyland's Fantasy Faire. He's in the Blue Sky Cellar video and I believe it was his idea to put Figaro and the bird in PFF.

Skip to 0:25. He shows up again in the video.

PhotoDave219

I live on Long Island and that's a bunch of crap. There are idiots in every state in this country. There are a lot of people in New York and because someone takes issue with a few of the many doesn't mean we are all that way. Does southern hospitality exist here?

No. Ive lived in the south for 5 years before moving back to florida. Southern hospitality is a myth.

SirLink

At this point, Unless they find a way to ressurect Walt, I fear that things at WDC will continue to decline.

Nah there are people out their like the Stacey's of the world who know how to manage creativity and budgets together heck she has Steven Spielberg to deal with ... just 2 more years and counting ...

TP2000

I'm pretty sure Tony did have a hand in Disneyland's Fantasy Faire. He's in the Blue Sky Cellar video and I believe it was his idea to put Figaro and the bird in PFF.

Skip to 0:25. He shows up again in the video.

I saw that video last weekend in the Blue Sky Cellar and LOVED it! I'm not sure that Baxter was speaking about the project itself though, just Fantasyland in general as we've known it since 1955. Heck, that video also interviewed a "Financial Analyst" from WDI who talks about his young wife and daughter enjoying Fantasyland. If you can get a Financial Analyst to tear up for the camera, truly anything is possible at Disneyland! :D

But in the press tours they gave for Fantasy Faire last week, Baxter wasn't to be seen or mentioned. They had a younger guy in a brown WDI hardhat with a European accent leading the media tour and talking about his work on the project, Michel something was his name. I imagine that Baxter sat in on meetings for Fantasy Faire, since he's the design VP for the park and honestly what else was he gonna do with his time? But it's not like Baxter has been presented as the creative lead on this project, or spoken about it publicly, or even been photographed or seen on the construction site.

@WDW1974 has been hinting that Baxter was being forced out for months now, and I believed him as he's a very trustworthy source who has a good head on his shoulders. I also believe him that there's a big dollop of corporate politics and intrigue behind this "retirement" for Baxter.

But I'm also trying to figure out how damaging this all is exactly, since there have been several huge examples of brilliant Imagineering showing up in American parks in the last few years that hadn't been touched by Baxter at any stage in their development. Cars Land is the giant elephant in the room there, but Buena Vista Street is another one, and even New Fantasyland at WDW looks very nice even if the single new attraction there behind the rock façade isn't a home run. (Lisa Girolami was the creative lead on that one, for both coasts.)

Does the Disney world as we know it really come to an end without Tony Baxter on the payroll, sitting in his office in Anaheim twiddling his thumbs and helping Kim Irvine pick out draperies and wallpaper for the latest small rehab at Disneyland?

I'm just as sad to see Baxter go as the next fan, but I need convincing and/or an explanation why this is really a super big deal that spells doom for the creative future of the American parks.

Californian Elitist

I saw that video last weekend in the Blue Sky Cellar and LOVED it! I'm not sure that Baxter was speaking about the project itself though, just Fantasyland in general as we've known it since 1955. Heck, that video also interviewed a "Financial Analyst" from WDI who talks about his young wife and daughter enjoying Fantasyland. If you can get a Financial Analyst to tear up for the camera, truly anything is possible at Disneyland! :D

But in the press tours they gave for Fantasy Faire last week, Baxter wasn't to be seen or mentioned. They had a younger guy in a brown WDI hardhat with a European accent leading the media tour and talking about his work on the project, Michel something was his name. I imagine that Baxter sat in on meetings for Fantasy Faire, since he's the design VP for the park and honestly what else was he gonna do with his time? But it's not like Baxter has been presented as the creative lead on this project, or spoken about it publicly, or even been photographed or seen on the construction site lately.

@WDW1974 has been hinting that Baxter was being forced out for months now, and I believed him as he's a very trustworthy source. I also believe him that there's a big dollop of corporate politics and intrigue behind this "retirement" for Baxter.

But I'm also trying to figure out how damaging this all is exactly, since there have been several huge examples of brilliant Imagineering showing up in American parks in the last few years that hadn't been touched by Baxter at any stage in their development. Cars Land is the giant elephant in the room there, but Buena Vista Street is another one, and even New Fantasyland at WDW looks very nice even if the single new attraction there behind the rock façade isn't a home run. (Lisa Girolami was the creative lead on that one, for both coasts.)

Does the Disney world as we know it really come to an end without Tony Baxter on the payroll, sitting in his office in Anaheim twiddling his thumbs and helping Kim Irvine pick out draperies and wallpaper for the latest small rehab at Disneyland?

I'm just as sad to see Baxter go as the next fan, but I need convincing and/or an explanation why this is really a super big deal that spells doom for the creative future of the American parks.

While I'm still unsure about Princess Fantasy Faire, I agree with you when you say it's not the end of the world. I was thinking about DCA 2.0, too (mainly BVS and Cars Land) and thinking how wonderful it is, yet Baxter had nothing to do with either. As far as WDW goes, didn't he spend most of his time in California/Disneyland anyway?

This reminds me of when Walt Disney died and everyone freaked out (I wasn't there, of course). No, Disneyland isn't the same without Walt Disney strolling through or driving the train or talking to the guests, but it's come a very long way since his passing. What would we have done if Baxter died? It would have been the same way. There will be new talent in Imagineering. Does it totally suck Baxter has no say in anything? YES. We all have to move on, though, and welcome new talent. Hopefully no one gets held back from creative ideas.

TP2000

I thought Girolami was only in charge of the DCA Version and Chris Beatty was lead on the WDW version.

Well, Lisa took full responsibility for the ride at DCA when it opened in 2011. And since the ride at WDW is an exact clone of the DCA version, she should be responsible for it there too. From the Disney Parks Blog... http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/06/under-the-sea-with-imagineer-lisa-girolami/

The exterior and queue for the ride is very different at WDW, and that's what Chris Beatty must have been responsible for in WDW? Once you step onto that rubber loading belt though, it's a clone from DCA that Lisa Girolami was in charge of.

The Mermaid exterior and queue at WDW is very, very nicely done. And if Chris Beatty did all that, then bravo to him. And that queue is another example of current Imagineering for an American park that turned out great without Tony Baxter involved. Who from WDI is doing the Ratatouille ride for Paris that looks amazing? And who is doing Mystic Manor for Hong Kong? Who did DisneySea and the jaw-dropping visuals and fabulous E Tickets that exist in that park? It wasn't Tony Baxter.

Great creative minds apparently exist at WDI beyond a "celebrity" executive like Mr. Baxter.

TP2000

Michel Den Dulk.

Thank you. Perhaps that's a Dutch name? His accent sounds similar to Lawrence Welk's wonderful inflection, especially when he says "The Happiest Place On Earth", and that made me smile. I like this Michel guy, and he looks all of about 32 years old. I'd card him at a liquor store.

Here's a link to his interview for the local media on a construction site tour of Disneyland's new Fantasy Faire opening next month, for those interested in this OT subject.

HMF

Well, Lisa took full responsibility for the ride at DCA when it opened in 2011. And since the ride at WDW is an exact clone of the DCA version, she should be responsible for it there too. From the Disney Parks Blog... http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/06/under-the-sea-with-imagineer-lisa-girolami/

The exterior and queue for the ride is very different at WDW, and that's what Chris Beatty must have been responsible for in WDW? Once you step onto that rubber loading belt though, it's a clone from DCA that Lisa Girolami was in charge of.

The Mermaid exterior and queue at WDW is very, very nicely done. And if Chris Beatty did all that, then bravo to him. And that queue is another example of current Imagineering for an American park that turned out great without Tony Baxter involved. Who from WDI is doing the Ratatouille ride for Paris that looks amazing? And who is doing Mystic Manor for Hong Kong? Who did DisneySea and the jaw-dropping visuals and fabulous E Tickets that exist in that park? It wasn't Tony Baxter.

Great creative minds apparently exist at WDI beyond a "celebrity" executive like Mr. Baxter.
I hope you are right because I am pretty close to admitting defeat and stop caring. The ramifiications of Tony's departure paired with Next Gen might just be the last straw. Sorry to be pessimistic but I really feel that things have gotten that bad.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom