Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Sounds like I missed a lot of fun. I guess it's what happens when you become disheartened with something you once loved. My AP run finally expires this fall and it won't be renewed. This waste of money called NextGen is the final nail in the coffin.

Skibum1970

WDW1974 said, "Nah, I disagree (naturally). I think many diehard fanbois (many who have never been to Anaheim and certainly not to the international resorts) are enamored by it and think it is so detailed and beautiful and MAGICal. I think for the average guest it is just a prettier version of 'more of the same'. ... They spent almost half a billion dollars and didn't create one worthwhile, must see attraction."

I agree completely although I wonder how many of the general public realize the cost. Basically, I think that people will walk through and think, "Wow, this looks cool. Are there any other rides besides LM though?" I say this because I loved the theming of IoA but wondered why areas like Jurassic Park and Lost Continent (pre-HP) only had one main ride. I actually knew how much the park cost and thought it was great but did wonder why they didn't add a couple more rides. Sorry if I took too much out of 74's post.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
...People who value their time like it when they don't have to hassle with routing around for the credit card just buy some drinks and popcorn, and when they don't have to mess around with paper admission tickets and fast pass tickets...
These are probably the same people who feel that it is a waste of time to unzip before peeing.

There are somethings that you can't avoid. Pulling out a credit card is not a hassle to any normal person.

Pixiedustmaker

I agree completely although I wonder how many of the general public realize the cost. Basically, I think that people will walk through and think, "Wow, this looks cool. Are there any other rides besides LM though?" I say this because I loved the theming of IoA but wondered why areas like Jurassic Park and Lost Continent (pre-HP) only had one main ride. I actually knew how much the park cost and thought it was great but did wonder why they didn't add a couple more rides. Sorry if I took too much out of 74's post.

At least they went for quality with BoG, (though I think they should have added animatronics/entertainment). Even though much of FLE is just "housekeeping", such as moving/expanding/upgrading Dumbo, upgrading Mickey's Toontown Fair, and adding some landscaping . . . they have to spend $$$, because this stuff is meant to last decades.

There is an expansion pad behind the Belle's Village/Gaston area, would be a prime spot for a B&tB lavish dark ride, or something else. If they cloned Mermaid, and added a quality 7DMT and a lavish new dark ride, then it would have been something to write home about, Mermaid is the weak point, IMHO, for some guests.

Captain Chaos

Sounds like I missed a lot of fun. I guess it's what happens when you become disheartened with something you once loved. My AP run finally expires this fall and it won't be renewed. This waste of money called NextGen is the final nail in the coffin.
My AP expired years ago.. was such a refreshing feeling to be honest...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Pricing flights to LAX for 2014?:)
More like MAN to John Wayne via Vegas.
Then there's a Rat to go and see.
And we've vowed to hit Tokyo this decade.
Right now Orlando just has Gringotts and good friends to make us want to visit. So sad.

Pixiedustmaker

These are probably the same people who feel that it is a waste of time to unzip before peeing.

There are somethings that you can't avoid. Pulling out a credit card is not a hassle to any normal person.

Not so sure I'd agree with that, I certainly would like to use a MagicBand during my next visit. I could park hop easily, buy stuff super fast, such as snacks, meals, merchandise, all without having to scrounge around for my wallet. Think about how many interactions would become so much more easy:

1. Ticket entrance, maybe 2-3 times a day if you park hop.
3. Maybe 2-3 meals a day and snacks/drinks
4. Buying that special sweater in the Norway gift shop.

And not only do you save time getting out your wallet, but the whole stupid line moves so much faster!

There's also the psychological factor of whipping out a $50/credit cards for drinks and popcorn for the group, yes, the monetary amount doesn't change with the MagicBand, but I think some guests wouldn't want to think about how Disney takes advantage of guests every time they buy a drink.

Call me crazy, but I think I'll love the MagicBand thing and hope that it comes to DLR.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Not so sure I'd agree with that, I certainly would like to use a MagicBand during my next visit. I could park hop easily, buy stuff super fast, such as snacks, meals, merchandise, all without having to scrounge around for my wallet. Think about how many interactions would become so much more easy:

1. Ticket entrance, maybe 2-3 times a day if you park hop.
3. Maybe 2-3 meals a day and snacks/drinks
4. Buying that special sweater in the Norway gift shop.

And not only do you save time getting out your wallet, but the whole stupid line moves so much faster.

There's also the psychological factor of whipping out a $50/credit cards for drinks and popcorn for the group, yes, the monetary amount doesn't change with the MagicBand, but I think some guests wouldn't want to think about how Disney takes advantage of guests every time they buy a drink.
And that is a good thing?:confused: I just don't follow your line of reasoning... unless you are a plant!:D

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Ditto on all counts.
Universal - 3 days+
Sea World - day and a half
Busch Gardens - 2 days
Aquatica, Discovery Cove....

The MKs is loosing its magic. Epcots a shadow of its former self. DHS is stagnant. DAK is a joke. The above list will take a week. Main gate Disney to see friends... then Disneyland for a proper Magic Kingdom and the promise of actual new Mouse attractions and quality refurbs.

I'll continue to do what I do best....share information on how WDW used to be.

Bolna

Since @WDW1974 was interested in how many people wear a wristwatch: I don't generally. If I do, it is more something that I would consider jewellery. And that MagicBand certainly does not qualify to be included in that category - whatever characters there might be found on it. Plastic is never jewellery.

Also, considering how many people you see walking around with lanyards holding their tickets and room keys, I wonder how many people actually still would have to fumble for their wallet to access their room key to charge something to the room in order to have that tiny advantage of buying something 20 seconds faster with the MagicBand.

djlaosc

Universal - 3 days+
Sea World - day and a half
Busch Gardens - 2 days
Aquatica, Discovery Cove....

The MKs is loosing its magic. Epcots a shadow of its former self. DHS is stagnant. DAK is a joke. The above list will take a week. Main gate Disney to see friends... then Disneyland for a proper Magic Kingdom and the promise of actual new Mouse attractions and quality refurbs.

I'll continue to do what I do best....share information on how WDW used to be.

That's what I'm trying to get to happen (a split stay Universal/SeaWorld Parks in Orlando and then fly up to Anaheim for DLR) - over recent months it has become more of an option - it could easily happen depending on what goes on with NextGen/Free Dining (QSDP)/EMH.

The Mom

Premium Member
I'm a shareholder (not a 1-2 share cause it's kewl type) of a publically traded company. I therefore have an interest in the way said corp decides to spend billions of dollars. ... Oh, and I would trust some family and friends to spend my money because they are responsible.

Nah, I disagree (naturally). I think many diehard fanbois (many who have never been to Anaheim and certainly not to the international resorts) are enamored by it and think it is so detailed and beautiful and MAGICal. I think for the average guest it is just a prettier version of 'more of the same'. ... They spent almost half a billion dollars and didn't create one worthwhile, must see attraction.

You really think people would visit WDW just because of a plastic armband/tracking device/charging gimmick? That's what people spend $6,000 on vacations for? The only CMs I want to greet me by name would be my friends (like George Kalogridis) or someone at the front desk of resort. I don't want some ride operator or food and beverage counter worker greeting me.

As to the perks, what kind of perks do you think you'll get. MagicBands aren't a loyalty program, they aren't Klout. You only get what you pay for. Nothing added, lots taken away.

As far as my charter AP status, I don't want a Mansion butler saying 'Mr. Spirit, you have been coming so often, you must just be dying to live here'. I've waited 31 years for WDW to offer anytype of loyalty benefit (something as simple as an annual Christmas card or pin ... or better discounts ... or truly unique offerings) and, guess what?, I'm still waiting.

Also, as someone just reminded me in all my years of posting on Disney forums, I have yet to come across another poster who actually is a WDW Charter APer. So there aren't many of us and we're largely treated wih disdain at best because management knows that we know the product is utter crap when compared to what it was say from 1971-1996.

So ... the benefit for Disney is making a (blank)load more money due to impulse purchases and people not realizing that $823 day of spending at EPCOT will wind up on the Visa card ... but the only benefit you see is not having to (heaven forbid!) fumble for a room key or a ticket or a CC. Amazing.

Oh, just wondering for my social media experiment ... but how many folks here actually wear a watch daily? And your children? Serious question.

Edited your post for my response:

1. I agree with not wanting instant familiarity, unless I have stayed at a resort frequently. You should hear me put telemarketers in their place if they call and use my first name. If I don't know you, it's Ms or Mrs ....

2.I'm not a charter AP holder, but my BIL & SIL are - does that count?

3. I wear a watch every day, sometimes 24 hrs a day - I have a waterproof indiglo so I can check the time while swimming, or if I wake up during the night. But, I once worked in a profession where a watch with a sweep second hand was mandatory, so it's habit. My children do not wear watches, except as a fashion statement. I also have multiple stop-watches, but that's a different issue.

Pixiedustmaker

Oh, just wondering for my social media experiment ... but how many folks here actually wear a watch daily? And your children? Serious question.

Meh. I'd wear it, and I'd be fine with putting the band in my pocket, still *much* easier to use than credit cards. They'll probably start selling the RFID chips in other stuff besides the wrist bands, such as something that hangs on your neck, or a special pin or something. There's all sorts of creative possibilities.

Also, it won't be long until they figure how to make an RFID add-on for cell phones so you can use your cell phone to do this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom