Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

Pixiedustmaker

This isn't about wearing something nifty looking in the park. This is about the entire system. This system is designed for major vacation planners, it looks like. DLR doesn't receive this kind of audience. People aren't going to DLR for weeks, not to mention the plethora of offsite hotels that people use. We only have three hotels. Not to mention the Fastpass system is totally abused in California. I just don't see this working in Anaheim and I truly hope they believe this too and won't even think about considering it.

BTW no one really wears the Glow with the Show ears anymore.

The goal of DCA was to turn DLR into a multi-day resort. DL already has a ton more rides than MK, and there are expansion plans in the mix, plus talk of a third gate.

I think that even if you stay 2-3 days, the MagicBand is worthwhile, and if you go 3-4 times a year or more, it will save you a lot of hassle. APers are exactly who this aimed for, IMHO, in addition to families that go every couple years, and it could really help reduce the length of lines in the park.

Maybe it isn't for everybody, but a good chunk of APers will do it just for the convenience factor. Those that don't can stick with having a ton of stuff in their wallet I guess.

I shall still use paper currency with presidents on it-Call me old fashion- we go green when we can :)
It is not of great concern to me- to shave seconds /minutes off my transaction- and sorry if I get in line in front of you- and slow you down. There once was a time- when guests did not have faces shoved in electronic devices- they were in the moment and interacting with people not things....I still prefer a world that way. I embrace technology but not at the cost of the downfall of social interaction with the things that matter most in this world- people. The good advances fast this days- and along with it comes the bad in everything......This is the risk we have taken as humans allowing machines to become idols...we are attached to.......stepping away with fire extinguisher.

SirLink

Universal - 3 days+
Sea World - day and a half
Busch Gardens - 2 days
Aquatica, Discovery Cove....

The MKs is loosing its magic. Epcots a shadow of its former self. DHS is stagnant. DAK is a joke. The above list will take a week. Main gate Disney to see friends... then Disneyland for a proper Magic Kingdom and the promise of actual new Mouse attractions and quality refurbs.

I'll continue to do what I do best....share information on how WDW used to be.

You could always do what I do go for a relaxing week in St.Augustine sit by the pool in the Casa Monica, great food/drink flows freely up there and it is beautiful at night. Then go down to O-town and have a week of fun in the parks...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
While this could make things faster than guests paying with cash I don't see it being much faster than paying with a credit card. As far as it being less secure, isn't it about the same? If someone gets a hold of my credit card they could rack up charges on it just like they could with the wrist band. Having a pin for purchases over $50 seems reasonable. Most places don't even make you sign for a credit card purchase under $25. Same concept. It does make a psychological difference though. For a lot of people swiping the band will be much more tempting than paying cash. I know people who won't even have a credit card because they don't have the self disipline to not go crazy on spending. Tapping into that type of guest is lucrative.

Pixiedustmaker

While this could make things faster than guests paying with cash I don't see it being much faster than paying with a credit card. As far as it being less secure, isn't it about the same? If someone gets a hold of my credit card they could rack up charges on it just like they could with the wrist band. Having a pin for purchases over $50 seems reasonable. Most places don't even make you sign for a credit card purchase under $25. Same concept. It does make a psychological difference though. For a lot of people swiping the band will be much more tempting than paying cash. I know people who won't even have a credit card because they don't have the self disipline to not go crazy on spending. Tapping into that type of guest is lucrative.

I think you just tap the MagicBand to the post thingy. Done in 2 seconds. The credit card takes time for the CM to swipe the card, hold it while they wait for it to go through, and then you spend time fumbling to put the credit card back in the wallet/purse, often times slowing up the line. Some folks also don't have their credit card ready to go.

I'm guess with a credit card is an extra 15 seconds, so if you're in a line for popcorn with five guests with cards in front of you, that's an extra 75 seconds, add that up over the course of a day and you're talking about saving half an hour of wait time.

And don't forget virtual queue type stuff. Tap the ole' MagicWand at CBJ, and maybe one day you can walk around outside until it chimes to notify you that it is time for your show!

No more having to stop and give a CM your fast pass and wait while they read/scrutinize it, you just tap and you ride.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
The goal of DCA was to turn DLR into a multi-day resort. DL already has a ton more rides than MK, and there are expansion plans in the mix, plus talk of a third gate.

I think that even if you stay 2-3 days, the MagicBand is worthwhile, and if you go 3-4 times a year or more, it will save you a lot of hassle. APers are exactly who this aimed for, IMHO, in addition to families that go every couple years, and it could really help reduce the length of lines in the park.

Maybe it isn't for everybody, but a good chunk of APers will do it just for the convenience factor. Those that don't can stick with having a ton of stuff in their wallet I guess.

I don't see the MagicCuff as more convenient. Carrying a wallet has never been some major problem for me.

Californian Elitist

DLR isn't on any level of WDW when it comes to vacationing and all those sorts. At Disneyland, you've got two parks, Downtown Disney and three hotels. WDW has four parks, two water parks, a gazillion onsite hotels, a golf course, spas and a whole bunch of other stuff. The vacation experience just can't be compared. There's really no point of this system in Anaheim, especially when you consider the guests, such as myself, who visit just to ride maybe a few rides and see the fireworks or Fantasmic! or something. What would be the point for the guests who are only there for a few hours? This is aimed for regular guests, not so much for annual passholders, especially APs in California. Going to Disneyland is not like going on a vacation. It's like going to the mall or the movies.

Speaking of rides, DLR barely has any Fastpasses for the rides. Almost every ride at WDW has a Fastpass.

Pixiedustmaker

I don't see the MagicCuff as more convenient. Carrying a wallet has never been some major problem for me.

Well, you'll obviously want to keep a hold of your wallet. But saving 30 minutes a day sounds great to me, and not having to take out my ticket/fass passes sounds good too. It's a small inconvience, but magnified by so many transactions during the day, plus the idea of sort of being "free" of having to worry about tickets/credit cards/fass passes, I find pretty appealing.

stlphil

Yes, but the pin is now for all purchases.

And the band is likely less secure because you don't have to lose it in order for it to be used by someone else. The RFID code within it can be read and spoofed. For example, as you are entering a FP+ line, someone else holding a cell phone reaches out at the same time to tap the reader. Except that really wasn't a cell phone they were holding, it was a RFID reader. They now have your magic band number and can use it to make purchases.

Actually, I think requiring the pin code for all purchases is an adequate security measure, but it kills all the expected efficiency for the bands. Like I said earlier, I'd rather just swipe a card.

Pixiedustmaker

DLR isn't on any level of WDW when it comes to vacationing and all those sorts. At Disneyland, you've got two parks, Downtown Disney and three hotels. WDW has four parks, two water parks, a gazillion onsite hotels, a golf course, spas and a whole bunch of other stuff. The vacation experience just can't be compared. There's really no point of this system in Anaheim, especially when you consider the guests, such as myself, who visit just to ride maybe a few rides and see the fireworks or Fantasmic! or something. What would be the point for the guests who are only there for a few hours? This is aimed for regular guests, not so much for annual passholders, especially APs in California. Going to Disneyland is not like going on a vacation. It's like going to the mall or the movies.

Speaking of rides, DLR barely has any Fastpasses for the rides. Almost every ride at WDW has a Fastpass.

You've got a massive line for RSR every day of the week. Fast Passes also available for HMH, Indy, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Star Tours, Autopia, Roger Rabbit, Grizzly River Run, Soarin', World of Color, ToT, Screamin'.

Some APers visit a lot, I visit DLR a lot, I would prefer to be able to have a MagicBand I can use it for Fast Pass and buying stuff. Personally, it would be a whole different park experience.

I'm sure some APers would rather have a MagicBand and not have to worry about paper tickets,fast passes, and for buying stuff more easily.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yes, but the pin is now for all purchases.

And the band is likely less secure because you don't have to lose it in order for it to be used by someone else. The RFID code within it can be read and spoofed. For example, as you are entering a FP+ line, someone else holding a cell phone reaches out at the same time to tap the reader. Except that really wasn't a cell phone they were holding, it was a RFID reader. They now have your magic band number and can use it to make purchases.

Actually, I think requiring the pin code for all purchases is an adequate security measure, but it kills all the expected efficiency for the bands. Like I said earlier, I'd rather just swipe a card.

My credit card number was stolen and my card was physically cloned. It happens, I don't see it being very different. Someone cloning my wristband would need a pretty sophisticated operation. In your example they could get my data that way but how do they use it? The only way to pay is to use a wristband with my info. Having the info is not enough. They would now need a way to transfer my data onto a cloned wrist band to use. It's not like stealing a credit card number and using it to make online purchases which is relatively easy. You still need to create a wristband with my data on it. Not saying its technically hard to do, but it's still more difficult than just holding a cell phone close to my wrist.

Pixiedustmaker

My credit card number was stolen and my card was physically cloned. It happens, I don't see it being very different. Someone cloning my wristband would need a pretty sophisticated operation. In your example they could get my data that way but how do they use it? The only way to pay is to use a wristband with my info. Having the info is not enough. They would now need a way to transfer my data onto a cloned wrist band to use. It's not like stealing a credit card number and using it to make online purchases which is relatively easy. You still need to create a wristband with my data on it. Not saying its technically hard to do, but it's still more difficult than just holding a cell phone close to my wrist.

I would assume that there is some encryption between the MagicBand and the reader that changes on a daily basis, and obviously the MagicBand can only be used in the parks, plus it might be easy to spot a cloned MagicBand.

Say somebody uses their MagicBand to buy a plush Mickey in MK, and then five minutes later buys a meal in Epcot . . . a computer could spot that. Also, what if the cloned MagicBand is being used in a park that the computer registers wasn't used to enter the park . . . could be a lot more secure than stealing credit card numbers given there is only a restricted geographic area you can use it.

Californian Elitist

You've got a massive line for RSR every day of the week. Fast Passes also available for HMH, Indy, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Star Tours, Autopia, Roger Rabbit, Grizzly River Run, Soarin', World of Color, ToT, Screamin'.

Some APers visit a lot, I visit DLR a lot, I would prefer to be able to have a MagicBand I can use it for Fast Pass and buying stuff, though I get a number of comp gate passes yearly (not sure how this would work with MagicBand, maybe they can put them on it). Personally, it would be a whole different park experience.

I'm sure some APers would rather have a MagicBand and not have to worry about paper tickets,fast passes, and for buying stuff more easily.

Compare that to all the rides at WDWwith Fastpasses. The number is small. Even Dumbo has a Fastpass.

I had a feeling you weren't an AP. Are you a Disneyland vet?

flynnibus

Premium Member
I can only say something pithy like if I controlled the purse strings, money would be spent differently and people would truly be accountable. But Disney wants to control my money and spending, not vice versa!

I can only comprehend it as some sort of detachment - The comp packages negotiated by Eisner's clan were just obscene.. and I guess once someone becomes numb to it.. it just perpetuates.

I finally finished reading Disney War a few weeks back.. and the way they handled each other's comp plans was particularly vile to me.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think you just tap the MagicBand to the post thingy. Done in 2 seconds. The credit card takes time for the CM to swipe the card, hold it while they wait for it to go through, and then you spend time fumbling to put the credit card back in the wallet/purse, often times slowing up the line. Some folks also don't have their credit card ready to go.

I'm guess with a credit card is an extra 15 seconds, so if you're in a line for popcorn with five guests with cards in front of you, that's an extra 75 seconds, add that up over the course of a day and you're talking about saving half an hour of wait time.

And don't forget virtual queue type stuff. Tap the ole' MagicWand at CBJ, and maybe one day you can walk around outside until it chimes to notify you that it is time for your show!

No more having to stop and give a CM your fast pass and wait while they read/scrutinize it, you just tap and you ride.

The real benefit to efficiency will be not waiting while granny counts out $0.42 from her change purse so she can pay with exact change. I am with you that the wrist band is a nice feature. I agree that the queue stuff is cool and will be a benefit to the system. I know some people don't want to wear it, but as I have said on here before, kids will eat this up. My kids loved that they got room keys that actually opened the doors on our last trip. They will be blown away by swiping their magic bands and opening the hotel room door or getting into the front gate that way. The interactive queues will be very popular with kids too. I know, I know, it's not just about kids...what would Walt think...blah,blah, blah. Fact is kids will love it and some adults too. Can't please everyone.

mgf

Oh, just wondering for my social media experiment ... but how many folks here actually wear a watch daily? And your children? Serious question.

I do, but I might be one of like five 20-somethings without a smartphone. I have a daily wearer and a dress watch.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I dunno.

I do know that Disney isn't going to be able to press release their way out of this one.

I could easily see Tom spending some unplanned time on the Hill ... when is the cherry blossom season (not til March or April, right?)

End of March. But considering the lack of attention about COPPA in general... and the built in image most people have of Disney (blind trust).. I'm not expecting much ado... Heck if the detriot CEOs managed to dodge the bullets after that train wreck, this should be a cake walk.

stlphil

I've had a credit card stolen also, and it is so not fun. And I realize that is different than having the number stolen, because I feel that at some level the stolen card was my fault whereas a stolen number often can't be prevented.

The difference with the bands is that at least at Disney a stolen number would require some cast member complicity, but my example would be done by a "guest".

I don't think that what I suggested is significantly more sophisticated than physically cloning a CC, specialized equipment is needed in both cases, and RFID spoofing will become more common as the tech goes more mainstream.

crispy

I can't wear a wristwatch (well, I can, but there's no point in doing so). Something in my body chemistry kills the battery after a day or so and it's rendered useless.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom