Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

harveyt0206

Sadly, I couldn't look away either. Finally had to give up on the madness at 4:30 am. At first I thought it might be a reasonable counter point, but that thought lasted for about two posts. It then spiraled left of center pretty quickly. Nice clean up work Steve. Back to our regularly scheduled program.

MattM

No one from TWDC has yet explained how anyone will opt out, Numero Dos.
They only speak of opting in because in reality that's what everyone will have to do. Imagine a $7.75 an hour CM at a ticket booth with a line of 25 people trying to explain to people from another country (like Tennessee ... or Brazil) how RFID tech works and what MyMagic+ is ... just think of this logistically because the only reason Disney is saying this is an 'opt in' program is due to certain leaked info and the concern of legal action, which got a whole lot closer today.

Of course, this is a company that still doesn't have a straight answer as to what Lou Mongello's employment status is (apologies to Wannabe Lou) or why Jeff Lange is allowed to steal and sell Disney IP.

Can we get a definition on who "Wannabe Lou" is for we who aren't in the loop?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The BoD HATES the theme park business and wants to spend as little as possible on the division. If MyMagic+ is a two billion dollar bust, you really believe they'll pay billions more for REAL attractions? That's beyond wishful thinking.

This is a really bad possibility. The success of Carsland and DCA 2.0 should/could lead to more stuff for DLR, but it works both ways. If Carsland flopped they wouldn't be considering building anything else anytime soon. Jump over to WDW and Nextgen. If this thing flops and they don't see returns from it I would expect a virtual freeze in additional capital spending and the possibility of both price increases and cost cutting. As fans we see new rides as completely different than Nextgen. From the corporate side and the view of shareholders (represented by the BOD) they are both just billion dollar capital expenditures. If Nextgen succeeds and shows a strong return it would leave the door open for further investment in the parks. I'm not dusted up enough to think they would dump all of the profits gained back into the WDW parks, but I do think a positive return on this project would make getting the next project green lit a lot easier. Maybe a back door reason to hope Nextgen isn't a complete flop.

Nemo14

Just to give you an idea of how ridiculous it got, they actually deleted 10 pages worth of posts from last night.

Sure, now we have to post more to catch up with Eddie's thread.....
biggrin.gif

rael ramone

My darned tasty Birthday meal 2 years ago at Chefs de France:

Canard aux cerises, puree de patates douces et patissons
- Duck breast and leg confit with cherries, sweet potatoes puree and patty pan $31.99

You must have had them on a good night.

This was the same revolting dinner I was served last October. (And not only do I love duck, but I loved the way this once great place served this very same dish).

Duck breast should be pink inside, and not taste like it came out of the microwave.

A French sauce should have flavor to it.

Sweet potatoes should have flavor to it (taste like, well, sweet potatoes).

The less about the patty pan (in the 'good ol days' it was properly prepared haricot verts) the better.

To the servers credit he saw that I found it was revolting and swapped it out with something that was actually edible.

Why was I there in the first place? My EDR was for upstairs, and I was reassigned downstairs. 2 years prior I got the same microwaved duck, but I thought (hey, maybe that was a one time thing)....

The duck at Jiko, on the other hand, is incredible.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Don't say I never do anything for you guys - I've just spent 39 minutes of my Saturday decontaminating this thread.

I don't get paid enough to go through this and edit 100+ posts. Lots of bad behavior all around (please don't feed the trolls) BTW, I don't get paid at all, unless you count free PML membership. ;)

Just thanks for dealing with this. From the look of things this person posted for about 12 hours straight and got worse as time progressed. I wish there were a troll button that went off in everyone's mind when someone like that just appears (it should be obvious, no matter how rational someone seems at first ... you don't have an inactive account for 2 1/2 years and then post 100-plus posts in one thread unless you have a negative agenda) and then there would be no back and forth, which would make removing it an easier task.

But at least it's gone and hopefully we can get back on topic (or multiples) or maybe we already did ... I just happened to click on Page 168 (there were 178 when I logged off last night) and saw your posts.

Pixiedustmaker

Disney doesn't (or hasn't explained) how it will prevent someone from molesting Billy when he's all alone in his room at PO with the rest of his family taking the Wild Africa Trek and 'pinged' into the system.

Technology ALWAYS raises dangers that weren't there before. Parents today have to worry about a child being in the grip of a predator when they are sitting six feet away due to the Internet.

If you can track people, then you can use that tracking to harm them. It is simple common sense. You haven't heard Disney say that scenario is impossible, have you? That's because it isn't.

That seems like a scary scenario at first glance.

But as I understand it, the MagicBands don't have GPS in them, and your "position" is only reported to a central computer somewhere when you interact with a ride queue, or buy something. If there is, theoretically, a kid alone in a room, how does somebody know that he is there?

I guess you'd have to assume that the child molester can hack the system, track the MagicBands of the rest of the family, and the child, and then deduce that the kid is alone? They'd have to surveil the whole family to see if they all have MagicBands, or if some of the adults don't.

That is a lot of work, requiring a lot of skill, plus there is no guarantee that the child will ever be alone. I can only see a deranged whacko who has it out for a specific family/child doing something like this, which would require a lot of premeditation and planning. Such a person could just as easily follow the family around and try to abduct the kid in the parking lot or just hang out in the hotel lobby out of the small chance that the family leaves the kid alone.

I guess we're also assuming that the guy can hack into the system and figure out what room you're in?

I'm sure most of the hotels have cameras at the entrance/exit points as a bare minimum, and they would probably get the guy who does something like this.

I'm figuring that the MagicBands/readers have some pretty good encryption on them, meaning you can't just intercept the signal and easily spoof somebody's MagicBand.

There's important questions to ask with each new technological advance, but I can see these MagicBands really making vacations that much more special for guests who choose to participate.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Its worthy - but you won't find me trying to argue for the obscene spending or justifying why it's 10 dollars instead of 4 dollars. Just too far detached to make reasonable arguments and this is an area that drives me mad with organizations. I've been part of companies where people are trusted to spend properly, and people treat the money as if its their own - and the other end of the spectrum just makes me ed. I don't come online in my free time to be agitated and ed :)

I don't either. Sometimes, I just sorta attract nuts (as well as women and fanbois!)
But I don't trust Disney spending money. Whether its WDI spending $425 million on the small-scale (relatively-speaking, that's what it is) Fantasyland project or them spending billions on NEXT GEN or them spending untold millions on social media consultants and wining and dining Mommy bloggers. They spend money like it means nothing. And, worse, most of it tends to be a waste. And most of them (and all of the top dogs) get rewarded for it.

Truly the American dream.

I use those examples to illustrate people, as always, are picky about complaining about where spending is done. My point is money is flowing - its just not flowing in the volume and where people want. Same @$%$, different day.

It's fair to complain about that, though. People visit WDW for attractions and shows and what was flat out the top in immersive family entertainment. They don't visit it to be datamined. They don't visit it to be tracked all day. They don't visit it so they have to be like one of the most OCD planners from any WDW trip planning forum (you know, the kind who will be calling Disney tonight to make Palo ressies for a cruise:D!) ... the people who use spread sheets for vacationing and plan 10 days out in mindnumbing detail to the point it would seem a trip to Guantanamo would be more fun.

And since you mentioned the new dining locales at WS, all via third party money, I'd add, I'll simply state that while we all enjoy eating (some more than others) that no one goes to WDW for dining. It isn't a foodie's paradise or even close, even during Food and Wine Fest.

I am conflicted over your statements here.. how do they allow 500+ million dollar overruns if they hate it so much... unless they are simply handing them the rope.. so to speak.

I mean, there should be ways to scale a project back if overruns are in a problem... especially a project that has multiple aspects like this.

If I knew how they allowed $500 million overruns, then I'd have an office in Burbank and the Spirit as you know him would cease to exist. I know plenty about what goes on. But as to he pathology at play that allows those types of things whether we're talking things the Sub Voyage or Cars Land in Anaheim, Fantasyland in FL or this ridiculous MyMagic+ boondoggle, I have no idea.

I can only say something pithy like if I controlled the purse strings, money would be spent differently and people would truly be accountable. But Disney wants to control my money and spending, not vice versa!

Genie of the Lamp

Enough of this troll talk and Next Gen which I'm so sick of, lets talk about upcoming/possible projects for WDW that may or may not happen. Any updates on the Avatar project, Epcot Project,CarsLand/Pixar Place expansion, or Frontierland/TSI expansion? Haven't heard much in a while. At this point all I see happening is the Avatar Project in years time only because it will be enforced on by the Burbank corporate excecutives for George to oversee this project with Cameron/WDI since they have budgeted $400-$500 million toward this project and it's already made aware of in the general public. Add to that the Next Gen expenses and Iger thinks and probably will say "WDW has new "highly expensive" things coming that we feel will be enough to care for the WDW brand in the long run", meanwhile WDW suffers from decaying show quality in its attractions, pointless interactive social in park games and locals flocking to UNI. Prove me wrong TDO, Prove me wrong!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom