Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

SirLink

I think (sorry to put words in someone else’s mouth) ThemeParks4Life's point was that being a "good" WDW fan is a lot like being a "good" parent. Help and encourage your child to do well, chide them a bit when they don't, but always, always love them.

Yep...and we know they can do refurbs and restore classics ala HM and HoP, the problem comes when they refuse to reinvest money into maintenance. If you look at TDL in particular they don't build attractions every year, however they update the entertainment as well as keep the park well maintained and clean, if they could get that right on a consistent basis but oh well...

RSoxNo1

@RSoxNo1 I would implement an empty FP+ window towards the end of the day to allow for potential downtime. Although I truly believe they will end up going to a similar model they currently have. Go to a kiosk tap your band and get the time. Or something like that. The big difference would be that the 'reload' time for another FP would vary on your vacation package. ie. deluxe have 45 min reloads and value have 75 min reloads... Off site have 2 hour. Something like that.
Yeah, that's the way to do it. Assume park hours are also a function of capacity as well and plan accordingly. The biggest thing for me is that scheduling things in advance is not the way to go. Just use the 2 hour model (which we know is the max time you have to wait between fastpasses).

If you enter the Magic Kingdom at 9 AM, and it's open until 9 PM, you can get 6 Fastpasses. If you book them all for the morning, and leave the park at 1 PM then you don't get Fastpasses for whatever park you hop to. If you use 2 of them in 4 hours and then hop to another park you will get the appropriate number of Fastpasses based on when you arrive. The time frame can be tweeked further based on crowds, usage, and guest level (resort guest, offsite guest, ap holder).

Or, better than all of this, you can keep the system exactly the same with the only difference being that you can now reserve Fastpasses on your phone while in the park.

RSoxNo1

And they could also give you FP+ for Small World or Philhamagic or something that is not filled up at the time. I assume they could integrate the phone app to send you a message saying Splash Mountain is going to be down during your reservation and suggesting available FP+ reservations to replace it. Then as availability permits they could make you eligible to rebook Splash later in the day.
Yes, this is another benefit as well. I actually don't have a problem with adding Fastpass+ to attractions that don't currently have Fastpass, however I do have a problem with these attractions always using it. Turn on Fastpass for it's a small world and Pirates when the wait time hits 30 minutes for an extended period of time. Otherwise keep everything standby.

As was suggested as well, this will be a better option for Surprise Fastpasses as well - The range of Surprise Fastpasses in Disneyland when Carsland opened up extended to more popular (high capacity) rides to spread out the crowds. It's not a foolproof approach, but it will certainly be enhanced by this. I know with my Radiator Springs Racers fastpasses last summer I got surprise fast passes for Mermaid, California Screamin' and Grizzly River Run

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
A room key is different, it gets put into a wallet or purse until its used, and only for purchases when not at the resort IF they choose to do that. The wristbands are going to be used for all kinds of things, with CM's using Ipads and smartphones to look at the wristband data on what seems to be any attraction, meet and greet, etc.

Unless you or Disney itself can prove otherwise, it seems to me like they will have a major privacy issue on their hands.

That reminds me of something now. Can an iPhone/iPad be fitted to read RFID? The other day I entered through an area with no turnstile at AK and the CM scanned my traditional swipe ticket with an iPhone.

RSoxNo1

No, an educated consumer isn't their best customer. . Disney isn't doing this for the "educated consumer". They're doing it for the regular park guest. The families that make Disney a once in a lifetime event. They have no concept of "the way it was" because they didn't experience it AND THEY DON'T CARE. Disney could require guests go through an obstacle course and people would still go. They know this. People go to the new Test Track without any knowledge that it was anything but that way since it opened. Likewise, when the system is fully operational, there will be guests who show up who have no idea that it hasn't been like that since day one. I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that all guests do hours of research before coming to the park. I could have sworn that people show up to the park I work for, and legitimately think they're in Disney World and ask where Mickey is. Wow!
Yes, but often times the regular park guest is the one that doesn't understand why they can't walk into the popular restaurants without a reservation. These same regular park guests also don't understand the current Fastpass system.

Disney has created a dining environment that actually favors the educated consumer. Ultimately Fastpass+ will favor the educated consumer more than the average guest as well. It's no different than the current Fastpass system - that system is fair for everyone, ignorance isn't a valid excuse.

RSoxNo1

What happens when the entire NexGen crashes? It is going to make everything a mess when everything depends on it. It already has happpened once and not only did it disable all the RFID readers it also took down Test Track and the Be Our Guest restaurant.
That's a huge concern of mine as well. There have already been reports of less than stellar results from the in park wifi, and first impressions of My Disney Experience haven't been universal glowing either. The system is still remarkably buggy and cast members know it.

This weekend I was trying to link my dining reservations to my e-mail address under My Disney Experience. Nevermind the fact that prior to the website change they were all linked. Fortunately, I had a spreadsheet and the e-mails with all of the reservation information on it. I was able to link 2 of the 3, but my Be Our Guest reservation couldn't be linked. I called WDW Dine and they said to call the Tech line... no, they couldn't transfer me. On the Website/Tech line the lady I spoke with didn't have access to the reservation details and suggested I called WDW Dine. I told her that I wasn't going to do that and would prefer it if she attempted to help me. She tried her best, she put me on hold and called WDW Dine on my behalf. I gave her my reservation number and other information and she confirmed that everything matched what I was inputting into the site. When she came back she chalked it up to system issues and I respectfully told her that rolling out a system this complex while it's still having very primative issues was ill conceived for a company as large as Disney. Her only option here was to agree, which she did.

I knew my reservation existed, the person at WDW DINE confirmed it, as did the person on the tech line. I'm not concerned about losing my reservation, but I'm concerned that one of the convenience aspects of this whole thing (organization) is failing on the most basic levels.

I will say though that because my beloved Patriots are in the AFC championship game I had to cancel a dinner reservation planned for that night. I was able to do that very easily on the My Disney Experience App (almost too easily). It looks like the Wait time info has improved as well. Both of these are good things, and I expect I'll have a better opinion on this after I use it more on site.

lspicknall

That is what I took from it all... if they justify linking Jr to Sr for something like FP+ then they can get through the loophole. Then you market to Sr since Sr is the one making the purchases for Jr. (while utilizing data from Jr because they were able to loophole COPPA)
Then they could market to Sr based on information from Jr, they would know that Jr's favorite character is Peter Pan, that the had a meet n grope with pan and they spent a lot of time looking at displays with pan merch (based on GPS/triangulation within a store), then oh, looks like you need to buy more pan merch, so you start getting text messages (look what's on sale at DTD) that would continue as e-mails once you get home (wee see Jr's bday is coming, why not but pan merch from disney store online).

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
If the contemporary consensus on these boards now is to complain and tell those that are suggesting that there is nothing but complaining now should go elsewhere, shouldn't WDWMagic be changed to WDWSucks first? WDWMagic sure does mislead some in thinking this is a place do something besides complain about WDW.

Child like in its simplicity.

Pumbas Nakasak

Agreed. There's three calibers of people on this forum:

1. Pixie Duster- Someone who has nothing bad to say about Disney and thinks they're perfect.
2. Haters- People who hate everything Disney is doing now and gets trash from Pixie Dusters.
3. True Fan- Someone who loves Disney but knows there are major problems in the parks.

I fall under True Fan.

Im none of the above, I have to unbridled loyalty to any corporation or holiday destination.I just come here to fish.

Pumbas Nakasak

So we are on the same page, I am referring to all the posts that basically says Disney sucks and those same posters have been saying it for years now.

They love it so much that they say it sucks on a daily basis? That is some kind of love.

To be fair it is countered by a few posters who pronounce their love of Disney and complain about complainers on an almost hourly basis. All in a most magical way of course.

Kuhio

I think (sorry to put words in someone else’s mouth) ThemeParks4Life's point was that being a "good" WDW fan is a lot like being a "good" parent. Help and encourage your child to do well, chide them a bit when they don't, but always, always love them.

Too true. In a sense, we are all "Parents of 4" here -- in that the children we care about with regard to this forum are the 4 WDW parks.
th_smile.gif

And sometimes (as now), what these particular children most need is a strong dose of "tough love"...

Expo_Seeker40

They need tough love especially when their cousin in California is doing so well and their step-sisters in Asia are outperforming them, but then again, most Asians are smarter than Americans to begin with....

Kuhio

99% of the people who decide to take the time to sign up for this site LOVE Disney. Why else would anyone bother to search for such a place & post if not?

I agree -- and I also think that, on the whole, posters on WDWMagic are among the most fair and objective of Disney parks fans anywhere. As such, the general views of this forum's regular contributors tend to most closely reflect the prevailing sentiment of informed WDW fans at large.

I've been a registered poster here, and a few places elsewhere, for over half a decade; prior to that, I lurked for many years. During this time period, the tone of some message boards has remained invariably positive year in and year out, regardless of whether developments in the parks have merited such a degree of unbridled optimism.

In contrast, the tenor of discussion on WDWMagic has been considerably more fluid over the same time; there have been periods of greater hopefulness when it has been warranted, but the recent sea change here is not, as a few posters may suggest, some kind of mass crankiness outbreak suffered by hundreds of unrelated individuals who are all having a terrible year and taking their frustrations out on poor ol' WDW.

To the extent that there exists more "negativity" presently than in some previous years, that is purely a function of the growing recognition that there has been precious little positive growth in the parks and that, under the current corporate regime, things are unlikely to change substantially in the near term.

(One of the key differences between some of the other Disney fansites and WDWMagic is the fact that -- especially of late -- we have been privy to considerably more inside information about the operational priorities of TWDC and TDO. It is always easier to be sanguine in the absence of evidence that one's hopes are largely unfounded.)

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
I agree -- and I also think that, on the whole, posters on WDWMagic are among the most fair and objective of Disney parks fans anywhere. As such, the general views of this forum's regular contributors tend to most closely reflect the prevailing sentiment of informed WDW fans at large.

I've been a registered poster here, and a few places elsewhere, for over half a decade; prior to that, I lurked for many years. During this time period, the tone of some message boards has remained invariably positive year in and year out, regardless of whether developments in the parks have merited such a degree of unbridled optimism.

In contrast, the tenor of discussion on WDWMagic has been considerably more fluid over the same time; there have been periods of greater hopefulness when it has been warranted, but the recent sea change here is not, as a few posters may suggest, some kind of mass crankiness outbreak suffered by hundreds of unrelated individuals who are all having a terrible year and taking their frustrations out on poor ol' WDW.

To the extent that there exists more "negativity" presently than in some previous years, that is purely a function of the growing recognition that there has been precious little positive growth in the parks and that, under the current corporate regime, things are unlikely to change substantially in the near term.

(One of the key differences between some of the other Disney fansites and WDWMagic is the fact that -- especially of late -- we have been privy to considerably more inside information about the operational priorities of TWDC and TDO. It is always easier to be sanguine in the absence of evidence that one's hopes are largely unfounded.)

You have become one of my favorite posters to read here. I think this negativity argument should end right here with your post. Well said!

disneyflush

Eloquently this. Many times.

baymenxpac

Yeah, the creatives can get away with casual, because they're hard to replace and their legitimacy comes from their actions. Nobody's going to tell Steve Jobs that he couldn't wear his jeans or tell Joe Rohde to take that thing out of his ear. Something tells me Nick Franklin isn't irreplacable.

To be fair, though, I think it's a societal thing and not just limited to poor TDO. Mike Nolan, former coach of the 49ers, had to get special permission to dress like this on the sidelines:
mikenolan.jpg

... while nobody from the NFL had a problem with Bill Belichick dressing like this:
6a00e5513d181b8834015432600c2c970c-320wi.jpg

this had more to do with the fact that reebok didn't make suits, but they do make garbage-looking sweatshirts that the former HC of NYJ (hate you, belichick!) hacks the arms off of.

though, that is a good microcosm of how corporate dictates can change societal expectations.

BigThunderMatt

..my gut keeps telling me that the company has made a billion dollar plus miscalculation about what guests want out of a vacation.

And has also grossly miscalculated the intelligence of the average guest. I think if most of the guests they saw were of WDWMagic-level intelligence (minus our favorite trifecta and Patty Godmother) NGE would thrive simply because of the fact that you'd have people that actually knew how to work the system, follow the rules, and at least semi-plan, even if they prefer spontaneity.

Goofyernmost

I have stayed out of this debate for the most part but now that it is coming out fully I have a better opinion.

Overall I vehemently am against the lack of upkeep and attractions in all 4 WDW parks...but I am warming up to the bracelet idea. I have been to the Great Wolf waterpasrks that have been offering this for years and it is so convienent to not have to carry around money and keys all day. Also those paper tickets were so annoying to keep track of. While I wont say this will totally keep me from Universal, the convienence factor will make my day in WDW a little easier.
I just returned from a quick trip to Orlando. I spent one day at WDW and two at Universal. I hadn't been to Uni in about 7 years and what I saw was eye opening. I just finished driving from there to my home in NC, 626 miles door to door and frankly am too tired to explain my epiphany tonight, but I will do a "Trip Report/Critique of it hopefully tomorrow. I will say though that Upkeep is not the problem here.

dhall

A room key is different, it gets put into a wallet or purse until its used, and only for purchases when not at the resort IF they choose to do that. The wristbands are going to be used for all kinds of things, with CM's using Ipads and smartphones to look at the wristband data on what seems to be any attraction, meet and greet, etc.

Unless you or Disney itself can prove otherwise, it seems to me like they will have a major privacy issue on their hands.

The wristband doesn't actually contain your personal data: it's basically a couple of numbers that uniquely identify you that only Disney knows and means nothing at all off property. Your personal data is in the same collection systems that it lives in now -- hotel & dining reservations, passholders, memberships, newsletters, etc. RIght now, the vast majority of CM's have no access to any of it, and of those that do, their access is limited to the system that they interact directly with. Remember, most of the information that gives people concern is information that Disney is already collecting and safeguarding.

With the wristbands in place, some CM's will be given access to limited parts of the system that they need to resolve problems that may arise or help guests answer questions, but it's not like they''re throwing away all of the security that they already have in place.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom