Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

Rodan75

Of course, Disney plays kids against parents all the time. Look at the hard-ticket parties. There was a time not that long ago when if Disney was having a Halloween or Christmas party then the MK had a hard close at 6 p.m. and cleared everyone out. Then, they reopened at 7 for party guests.

But that required a lot of labor, cut shopping hours and didn't allow for the family meltdowns you now get. Now, guests start entering for parties at 4 and get wristbands and announcements play and many kids want to know why they can't stay. There are often ugly family incidents, but Disney also guilts a great number of guests into paying hundreds of dollars more than they intended.

As to opting out. Disney's language is all of opting 'in' to MyMagic+. It's just semantics, but it is a very important and clear message to people. You can opt into the MAGIC 'like everyone else' or you can be the family that can't get FPs, has to watch a parade from behind six ECVs and has to wait 45 minutes for burgers at Pecos Bill's. No one is opting OUT of anything.

Yes, it is sleazy.

You are becoming bitter. Normally your posts are far more balanced.

WDW1974

Original Poster
And something amazingly simple to but limits on. Again, people looking for it to fail... Rather than where it's likely to fail. There is no reason to believe Disney would somehow decide to stop all information security at the point they start collecting MORE information

Possible - but absurdly unlikely

For a minute, I thought Flynn had fallen off the Grid. Good to see you back in the discussion.

But let's be upfront, there is no security that can't be breached. That's why privacy is so important to so many of us. As you posted in another thread ''the band has an active radio in it.. which allows the band to 'announce' itself to passive readers without Disney haven't to layer the place with active RFID readers. In effect, you get better range and more flexible detection/tracking options.''

All of that infromation being gathered, that most people won't have a clue about, will be safeguarded. But only to a point and we don't know what point that is. And any security can be compromised either technologically or by good old-fashioned human ingenuity/evil.

WDW1974

Original Poster
So we are on the same page, I am referring to all the posts that basically says Disney sucks and those same posters have been saying it for years now.

They love it so much that they say it sucks on a daily basis? That is some kind of love.

Really? Find me one post by anyone that says Disney sucks. ... Then find me a week of posts (just one a day) with said poster saying Disney sucks.

This is really infantile and imbecilic. I have yet to find a poster on here who believes 'Disney sucks'

WDW1974

Original Poster
What happens when the entire NexGen crashes? It is going to make everything a mess when everything depends on it. It already has happpened once and not only did it disable all the RFID readers it also took down Test Track and the Be Our Guest restaurant.

Oh c'mon, you know the chances of that ever happening once the system is up is about as likely as ... (come up with your own smart-arsed remark).

wdwfan22

Really? Find me one post by anyone that says Disney sucks. ... Then find me a week of posts (just one a day) with said poster saying Disney sucks.

This is really infantile and imbecilic. I have yet to find a poster on here who believes 'Disney sucks' (fanbois are another matter!;))
Really most of your post insinuate that Disney sucks. They never seem to do anything correct in your eyes so i would basically call that a Disney sucks in my book. You will probably call it being a critical fan and calling them on there shortcomings ;)

rioriz

So can we separate this discussion a bit WDW74? One topic the use of RFID Wristbands and the second FP+..

As I have said above the wristband concept works and I have used it without fail and to much ease at Great Wolf! Not much fanfaire and protest has occured and it has been successful

FP+ is far harder to champion behind other than the issues I also stated above

So that we are clear I am pro armband, no definitive opinion on FP+

ULPO46

The new band is exactly what it is it's a radio on a frequency that only works around the 40+ square miles of the wdwr. I took one of them and allowed my brother to dissect it. He said if there were some serious identity thrives who were willing to pay the ticket price and be able to hack into the frequency it would be easy to attain thousands of credit card accounts each and every day. Plus personal info. Yes as many of you have Said it is not full proof that I am worried. No because you always can say no and opt out.

Rodan75

I think there are valid privacy questions regarding NextGen...but hundreds of posts saying he same thing. Do some research on RFID, think about how much info you provide to social networking ( likely enough to get you fired) and how much info the hundreds of thousands of call center workers have about you at your utility companies. If Disney NextGen has you freaked out...wake up. Disney is playing catch up and is the minimum of what could be expected.

Like it or not, social media has made data correlation acceptable. Data Correlation is scary. Intelligent Data Correlation is over a decade old.

Breathe...be responsible. Relax.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Yes, this is another benefit as well. I actually don't have a problem with adding Fastpass+ to attractions that don't currently have Fastpass, however I do have a problem with these attractions always using it. Turn on Fastpass for it's a small world and Pirates when the wait time hits 30 minutes for an extended period of time. Otherwise keep everything standby.

You'd almost never need it for attractions like Small World and Pirates, which is why they've never had it to begin with. Maybe on Christmas or NYE or July 4th, but you'd have to be insane to be in the parks on those days and not expect lines. But any other time? Even with the era of ECVs, those things are people eaters and quite great when it comes to reliability.

As was suggested as well, this will be a better option for Surprise Fastpasses as well - The range of Surprise Fastpasses in Disneyland when Carsland opened up extended to more popular (high capacity) rides to spread out the crowds. It's not a foolproof approach, but it will certainly be enhanced by this. I know with my Radiator Springs Racers fastpasses last summer I got surprise fast passes for Mermaid, California Screamin' and Grizzly River Run

So, you got (in order) FPs for an attraction that never has a wait, an attraction that never has a wait if you use Single Rider and a ride that may have some wait if the weather is hot and if you want to get soaked.

ULPO46

I think there are valid privacy questions regarding NextGen...but hundreds of posts saying he same thing. Do some research on RFID, think about how much info you provide to social networking ( likely enough to get you fired) and how much info the hundreds of thousands of call center workers have about you at your utility companies. If Disney NextGen has you freaked out...wake up. Disney is playing catch up and is the minimum of what could be expected.

Like it or not, social media has made data correlation acceptable. Data Correlation is scary. Intelligent Data Correlation is over a decade old.

Breathe...be responsible. Relax.
Agreed. It's just the same thing for everyone. You just have to wake up and see what the world is doing with technology.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So can we separate this discussion a bit WDW74? One topic the use of RFID Wristbands and the second FP+..

As I have said above the wristband concept works and I have used it without fail and to much ease at Great Wolf! Not much fanfaire and protest has occured and it has been successful

I am in the same camp on the issue. I have no problem with the arm bands and I'm pretty much OK with the privacy issues but if FP+ leads to longer standby lines that negates the positives.

TalkingHead

Oh c'mon, you know the chances of that ever happening once the system is up is about as likely as ... (come up with your own smart-arsed remark).

...as likely as Disney raising ticket prices this year.
...as likely as it taking four years to build a kiddy coaster.
...as likely as a new restroom being the big attraction opening this calendar year.
...as likely as fans getting hot and bothered over some underpaid teens dressing up in rarely-seen foamhead costumes.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Too true. In a sense, we are all "Parents of 4" here -- in that the children we care about with regard to this forum are the 4 WDW parks.
th_smile.gif

And sometimes (as now), what these particular children most need is a strong dose of "tough love"...

Exactly, @Kuhio. It is easy to love a family member, significant other, friend, pet or, yes, theme park when all is well and they are behaving in a normal, healthy, rational way.

Tough love is much ... well, tougher to give for many people. I guess that's why they call it tough. But I also believe those who engage in it are much deeper caring/loving folks than those who are incapable of seeing flaws and loving just the same.

Good thing my only flaws are way too much humility and a love for ephemera.:D

WDW1974

Original Poster
They need tough love especially when their cousin in California is doing so well and their step-sisters in Asia are outperforming them, but then again, most Asians are smarter than Americans to begin with....

I am glad you said 'most, Expo ... I can tell you there are always exceptions to any rule!:)

WDW1974

Original Poster
You have become one of my favorite posters to read here. I think this negativity argument should end right here with your post. Well said!

My favorite poster here, by far, is @Lee ... followed by myself ... but @Kuhio as well as @ParentsOf4 are moving high up my list of people I want to read no matter what subject they are talking about.

And, yes, the discussion on perceived negativity (because that's all it is, perception) should end ... but it won't, it never does.

I am even behaving and staying out of the thread about how MAGICal WDW is and how it has never been better on General.

WDW1974

Original Poster
You Sir just need to be re-educated by Disney, this is all great. People wandering the parks with smart phones clicking away endlessly. Disney could put up cameras at the park entrance so when you swipe your RFID your picture will be on Face Book right that second telling everyone your house is empty and you won't be back for a while. In fact, FB could be tied in at all the rides showing what a good time you are having.

It all about re-educating you anti tech hillbillies Next Gen will be glorious

I know a hillbilly (we'll call him Mr. Li) and he loves technology, especially phones. Has a hot wife too!

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
My favorite poster here, by far, is @Lee ... followed by myself ... but @Kuhio as well as @ParentsOf4 are moving high up my list of people I want to read no matter what subject they are talking about.

And, yes, the discussion on perceived negativity (because that's all it is, perception) should end ... but it won't, it never does.

I am even behaving and staying out of the thread about how MAGICal WDW is and how it has never been better on General.

You, Lee, Parent and Kuhio are a good read but enough of this sappy crap! I actually wanted to ask you if you heard anything on a potential name change to DHS and the hat removal? I heard it from someone yesterday but don't really trust the accuracy.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Really most of your post insinuate that Disney sucks. They never seem to do anything correct in your eyes so i would basically call that a Disney sucks in my book. You will probably call it being a critical fan and calling them on there shortcomings ;)

No, my posts do not insinuate anything. When I feel something isn't right, I state it here (hopefully, in either eloquent or entertaining or engrossing fashion).

But Disney does a whole lot right as a company and even WDW, which certainly has its issues, does more right than wrong. They don't need me to point out all that they do right, although I often do, as there's an army of fans here and on other sites and the social media BRAND ADVOCATES (I only put that in caps to make sure Duncan sees it!) to do it. Far fewer willing to make Disney walk the walk in O-Town.

The most amusing thing about what you're suggesting is that in reality most people who know me feel that I am what some here might call a fanboi foamer when it comes to WDW. Yes, really!

WDW1974

Original Poster

Most of this discussion has covered a gamut of issues. It started with my trip observations (did everyone forget the terrible Cosmic Ray's food or how much I loved the new Celebrate the Magic projection show?) and morphed like a great conversation among friends at a party. ... So, we can talk about whatever you wish, I am not setting the agenda.

Just to be clear, though, I am anti-armband and anti-FP+ (that part could change, but doubt it!)

Why do you feel FP+ is the greater 'evil'?

WDW1974

Original Poster

I give almost nothing to social networking because I DO realize that it's largely a tool that has been weaponized for the benefit of corporate interests at the expense of the individual. I also don't really care what the people I went to high school are doing beyond those who are still close to me. The rest would likely be shocked at what direction my life took. ... and I never call my ultility companies.

Disney, though, isn't playing catch up. They're trying to invent a whole new game by taking what exists and turn a patchwork (what most companies have) into a tapestry. And Disney's target? Tomorrow's child ... no, I wish that would work, but it doesn't @EPCOT Explorer ... sorry. No, the target is squarely on today's.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm very uncomfortable seeing the words 'detect' and 'exploit' in materials relating to the subject at hand. Even if it were not Disney, I think I would recoil a bit. The people in the know who work in datamining tell me this is common vernacular. But to see it with Disney just ... makes my stomach churn like a meal at Cosmic Ray's.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom