SpectroMagic "Chuckie Dolls" are now face characters

I don't really like the new spectromen, they do look really creepy....and clowns don't bother me at all. :lol:

I like the masked ones better, they made it more magical.......now their just plain old clowns...it really doesn't have the same effect:cry:.

tecowdw

Okay, now Disney has just gone too far! I always loved the SpectroMen, both the characters and the hard pounding music of that section. They were my favorite part of the whole parade. In fact, I always thought that would be one of the best jobs to have at WDW.

But now...this is just terrible. Maybe it's just this particular performer (close up one) but there is no expression of joy. The old masks were whimsy, magical, fun looking and really stood out. Now the faces will be much more subdued against the background of lights.

This one is a real heart-breaker for me. Not to mention a complete shock as I have no idea the were contemplating such a change. Sad, so sad!
:(

diddy_mouse

Wow....that's good old fashioned nightmare fuel!

I always thought the creepy doll faces were, well -- creepy. But these new ones bring the creepy meter off the scale! Yikes...:dazzle:

dismedic

This time I have to agree with the old being better.

I believe YUCK is a good term bring back the old spectra men and the lighted faces this change is one that is defiantly not for the better. :(

IROC it

HORRIBLE!!

Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls...

Disney presents "Spectro-pedophiles" -

Sponsored by "To Catch A Predator" this fall on NBC.

Bring back the masks!!

Or MSEP!!! (I loved MSEP at DCA this past July!!)

DDPGambit

Aww, I loved the old lightbrite faces! As everyone else has already said, the new faces just look creepy. Hey, this is my first post in well over a year so give me some time to come up with better replies! :)

ErickainPA

I don't really like the make-up but their lack of expression could be too that they are TIRED, they have to be dressed up in those costumes for usually 2 parades and in the heat and humidity. I don't think I would be too happy and feeling like smiling either.

They really need to do a new parade, the last several trips we have just totally skipped the parade because we have seen it before and it's never different. Time to give this 15 yr old parade a rest.

celebrat

I don't understand it.

... I for one didn't like the masks. It had that 'catatonic' feel to the characters. Chronically happy Spectromen always freaked me out. I agree that replacing the masks with face-paint and NO INSTRUCTION to the performers was a mistake. Get rid of the paint and tell them to fake a smile.

They had plenty of instructions. They were told to make no facial expressions whatsoever. It's not the performer's fault that they looked creepy. I hope Disney allows them to have some personality. Honestly though, it didn't look as creepy in person because their faces weren't lit up the way you see in those photos.

Here's a video if anyone wants to see it:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Y3t-FyE4DqQ

They replaced the masks for technical reasons which I probably shouldn't talk about here ;)

sissa216

I did like the old masks, and was about to add myself to the list of those who don't like the change...
but I just watched the video, and I do really like the hats, at least.
But on the video, the faces are dark and not really noticeable. Maybe in person you can see how hideous they are :lol:

celebrat

I did like the old masks, and was about to add myself to the list of those who don't like the change...
but I just watched the video, and I do really like the hats, at least.
But on the video, the faces are dark and not really noticeable. Maybe in person you can see how hideous they are :lol:

I'm the one who did the video. In person you really can't see the faces very well.

Dizknee_Phreek

Wow....looks like they tried to go all Cirque du Soleil with them. Which....would be cool.....but if they did a "happy" Cirque thing. These are definitely creepier! :eek:
I agree with sissa, though...I really like the "hats"....or is it supposed to be hair?

dixiegirl

Oh man those are uglyyyyy , just watched the video with my 7 year old who said " mama just close your eyes when they come around and you won't see the ugliness" .Oh priceless....

elliot

I'm one of those who goes every 4-5 years as opposed to those who can make it annually/weekly etc...There's alot of changes in between my visits I would probably never even notice. I have a feeling if I saw this version first, I would probably love it. I know I would love it-as is. However, I do have the benefit of seeing the prior version, and comparing the two, I think it's a stupid change. The masks were much better visually IMHO. I would be very curious what a CM who does these performances thinks. If the masks were difficult to see through, uncomfortably hot, or something, I would understand the change more. My attitude could easily be swayed if it comes out that a change of that nature was made to benefit the CM's.
I expect it will grow on me. My initial reaction though...not a big fan.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom