SpectroMagic "Chuckie Dolls" are now face characters

lilredfoxie

DSCN2305.JPG

DSCN2306.JPG

DSCN2309.JPG

DSCN2308.JPG

That guy looks like Boy George lol :lookaroun :hammer:

hp200lx

I just bought the new edition of Labyrinth on DVD, and these guys look much worse than David Bowie. They remind me more of the clown from the Simpson's episode that Homer makes for Bart's bed and then gives Bart nightmares. The one who says "if you should die, before you wake!" and then laughs evily.
...You mean this one
bedclown.jpg

Those things are WAYYYY creepy now. I had no problem with the old light up masks, I thought that were on the jovial and whimsical side in a jester sort of way. ::shudders:: They definitely look scary and totally out of place with the new faces.

WDWFigment

I wonder how much they spent on these? I don't think the average guest will remember/note the difference (I had to look back at old pictures) because it's not something one is prone to remember all that well (besides frequent visitors).

So what was the point of the change? I could see making it if the old masks were worn out and had to be replaced, or if it was thought to be a definite upgrade that people would appreciate, but why waste money on something marginally noticeable that is universally panned by the people who do notice the change???

PhilharMagician

are they thinking?? They are far creepier now and look just plain hideous. I hope this is a test and they are looking for guest feedback.

I have some feedback for them after looking at those pics: :eek: :fork: :hammer:

hack2112

They give me the spooks. Looks like an old Halloween Horror Nights costume to me.
Didn't you get the memo? Uni is using them in their 3-D clown house this year for Halloween Horror Nights. They're Jack's new minions. That's Universal for you, always on the cutting edge of scaryness. :lookaroun

BwanaBob

I don't understand it.

There were so many posts and theads that slammed the Spectro-guys and their goofy masks (no pun intended)
...and now they tried (although yes, looks like first change failed) and are getting beat-up over the change.

This is my opinion, not fact. I'm sure I will be corrected...
For so long these people wore masks. Nobody saw their faces... and they didn't have to make any facial expressions behind the masks. Therefore, if "Johnny" called-in sick that night, they could put "Lou" (who wasn't all that good as a performer) in "Johnny's" place and be fine.

Face characters are a more demanding role... because the guest sees what your thinking... or at least see's your facial expressions (fake or not).

* Performers aren't used to having to SMILE,

* Performers aren't as 'good' as other parade acts (warm bodies that can move a trumpet up and down to the music)

* Someone forgot to tell the performers to SMILE and have fun,

* Maybe they're all veteran performers, it's late, they're tired, and they just want the stupid thing to be over.

... I for one didn't like the masks. It had that 'catatonic' feel to the characters. Chronically happy Spectromen always freaked me out. I agree that replacing the masks with face-paint and NO INSTRUCTION to the performers was a mistake. Get rid of the paint and tell them to fake a smile.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Wow, this is a really bad change. I never minded the masks, sure, they were vacant-looking and I can see how lots of people would find them creepy, but I liked that they all looked exactly the same. Now you've got some with skinny faces, some with wide faces, some with big noses...I think the face paint is very garish. And with the white base, wouldn't their teeth look creepy if they smiled? :shrug:

As someone else mentioned, I think I'll be skipping Spectro in the future and will just wait for MSEP to return!!! :lol:

brkgnews

Icky icky patangerang-rang.

I'll give BwanaBob this -- MAYBE if they'll smile, it'll be OK.

But I always liked the masks.

imagineer boy

Oh my, those things are absolutly TERRIFYING. They make the old masks look cute and cuddly. Which is of course, saying ALOT.

You can pretty much tell that whoever designed the masks has issues.:lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom