Spaceship Earth Update

Captain Hank

Why the outcry about two major attractions being down? I'm sure that this sort of situation has happened before. Probably even within the same park (look at all of the refurbishments that Disneyland had prior to the 50th). Sure, HM will be closed. Space Mountain, Pirates of the Carribbean, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain and Mickey's Phillharmagic will all be open. All of those are major capacity attractions that will easily absorb the impact of HM's closure.

Yeah, SSE will be down, but Universe of Energy, Mission: Space, Living with the Land, and Gran Fiesta Tour will all be open. Each of these also has a huge capacity. Overall, these refurbishments should have very little impact on the crowd dynamics in the respective parks.

As for the coming refurbishments to SSE, I say "wonderful!" It's about time that attention was paid to the most iconic attraction at Epcot. And from the description, it looks like they're going all out. Best of all, they're doing things that they don't necessarily need to do. Would anyone notice/care if they didn't go through and freshen up the costumes and effects in the first section of the ride? Probably not, but from the press release it looks like they'll be doing just that. And the show will be that much better for it. And, as much as I love the score and narration in the current version of SSE, I'm still looking forward to hearing a new interpretation of the ride. I haven't even heard the new score and narration, how can I be angry about it?

Epcot was always meant to change; to better itself. I think this is a prime example of just that.

But most of all, more than anything, I am hopeful that one mightily significant change will occur in Spaceship Earth.

Two words:

Padded Headrests. :) *crosses fingers*

ToTBellHop

Great news. Glad to hear Spaceship Earth getting SO MUCH love. I wasn't expecting what basically amounts to a re-Imagineering. I'll be excited to see this. Here's hoping they pick a good narrator and create a fantastic new score. I have faith that they will.

DisneyMusician2

How could you cancel a trip to Disney just because 2 attractions are down? Everyone whines that nothing is updated at WDW, and now that they are looking to add some real love to the parks, people are complaining that the attractions are down. People, decide what you want. One attraction in each park! OH NO!! The world is ending! Get over it.

majortom1981

How could you cancel a trip to Disney just because 2 attractions are down? Everyone whines that nothing is updated at WDW, and now that they are looking to add some real love to the parks, people are complaining that the attractions are down. People, decide what you want. One attraction in each park! OH NO!! The world is ending! Get over it.

people can cancel their plans because it is two Major attractions that are down both at the same time.

One being a major staple at epcot.

brkgnews

Just for the record (and I don't know why I'm even bothering), I'm all about this rehab, no matter when, no matter how. SSE has been in need of an overhaul, and this one seems aimed at truly making the icon of the park the theme center of the park as well. Very appropriate given the heritage that (I feel) EPCOT shares with the 1939/40 World's Fair, where visitors ascended into the perisphere to see a show that basically set the entire theme of what they'd be seeing throughout their visit. Horizons was the closest we had to that before.

PigletIsMyCat

I'm both horrified and ecstatic at the prospect of a new SSE. SSE is our favorite Epcot thing to do. It is always our first and last ride of any Epcot visit.

As far as a timeline, the portal mentions a phased rehab to be completed by October. I am not terribly happy about the new narration or score (since I love both the way they are!!) but it's understandable, when you think about how much they'll be changing the actual ride.

I am also not thrilled about the Project: Tomorrow thing, since it's just one more interactive area to battle through en route to the exit (like getting off my Figgy ride).

I am also really excited to see a new SSE. As much as I love the way it is now, it will be great to see it updated and looking even further into the future.

And, as for people not trusting this info cause it's not on any 'official' WDW site yet (and I stress yet), please remember how many of us are active cast members or are otherwise involved backstage at Disney. I logged on to the portal this afternoon and was shocked to see this. I had no clue. So, of course, I ran right over here to see what you all were saying!

nelsonj3

I sent disney an email . Not just asking for info but showing my disappointment .

If they actually give me a real answer i will post it here.

That's ridiculous. We should all be happy that SSE is being refurbished and improved. Why complain about that? Unfortunately, in order for any attraction to be refurbed in any major way, it must be closed for a period of time.

Just because a couple of major rides are down for refurb doesn't mean everyone needs to get upset. I would rather see them getting attention than see them open just to make a few people happy. Even if I already had a trip planned, I would just understand that I would have to enjoy those attractions the next time around.

Last time I went to WDW, POTC was closed for its refurb. I was disappointed that I didn't get to ride one of my favorite attractions, but I didn't complain about it because I knew it was for a good reason. Our society is way too into this "I want it now, now, NOW!!!" thing. We need to learn to be patient and remember that good things come to those who wait! :wave:

majortom1981

question

I am going to ask this here becaus it sort of has to do with SSE.

IF epcot closes due to the park is at capacity do they take the closed rides into account in determining how many people they let in?

Since SSE is going to be down for July 4th week do they reduce the amount of people they let in before they close the gates?

nelsonj3

Why the outcry about two major attractions being down? I'm sure that this sort of situation has happened before. Probably even within the same park (look at all of the refurbishments that Disneyland had prior to the 50th). Sure, HM will be closed. Space Mountain, Pirates of the Carribbean, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain and Mickey's Phillharmagic will all be open. All of those are major capacity attractions that will easily absorb the impact of HM's closure.

Yeah, SSE will be down, but Universe of Energy, Mission: Space, Living with the Land, and Gran Fiesta Tour will all be open. Each of these also has a huge capacity. Overall, these refurbishments should have very little impact on the crowd dynamics in the respective parks.

As for the coming refurbishments to SSE, I say "wonderful!" It's about time that attention was paid to the most iconic attraction at Epcot. And from the description, it looks like they're going all out. Best of all, they're doing things that they don't necessarily need to do. Would anyone notice/care if they didn't go through and freshen up the costumes and effects in the first section of the ride? Probably not, but from the press release it looks like they'll be doing just that. And the show will be that much better for it. And, as much as I love the score and narration in the current version of SSE, I'm still looking forward to hearing a new interpretation of the ride. I haven't even heard the new score and narration, how can I be angry about it?

Epcot was always meant to change; to better itself. I think this is a prime example of just that.

But most of all, more than anything, I am hopeful that one mightily significant change will occur in Spaceship Earth.

Two words:

Padded Headrests. :) *crosses fingers*

Amen to all of that!!! Great points!!! :wave:

I am also very excited to hear what the new score might sound like. I love the current music, but I can't wait to hear what they might do with the new music.

bayoutinkbelle

If people want to cancel their trip just because two attractions are down, fine with me since that means fewer people to deal with at the many, many, many attractions that will be open.

I'm so excited about this rehab because SE is one of my favorites. It's usually my last ride before I leave WDW. I'm eager to learn who does the narration. Actually, I'm eager to learn a whole lot more about this rehab, but I'll be patient. :sohappy:

Captain Hank

I am going to ask this here becaus it sort of has to do with SSE.

IF epcot closes due to the park is at capacity do they take the closed rides into account in determining how many people they let in?

Since SSE is going to be down for July 4th week do they reduce the amount of people they let in before they close the gates?
Unlikely. Epcot has a gigantic capacity. If anything, they might open Wonders of Life for that week or so. Epcot can (and has) also opened backstage areas to compenasate for large crowds.

It's even possible (though highly, highly unlikely) that SSE might re-open for that time period, assuming that no major structural modifications are in progress. It's happened before, such as with the Universe of Energy and Pirates, when a half-rehabbed ride was opened to guests for a short time. Again, it's 99.999% likely that this won't happen, but there is the waaay outside chance that it might.

majortom1981

The thing that I am worried about is line wise.

I will be there during what a lot of people on these boards state as being prob the busiest week of the year .

People are stating that the parks close do to capacity so if SSE and Haunted Mansion are closed and the parks close due to capaicty during that week what will that due to the lines.

I dont mind it being closed due to capacity but I do mind the impact that will have on lines throughout the parks with 2 major rides being closed .

Please keep that in mind thats what I am nervous about not the refurb itself.

Thanks captain hank for the answer

Horizons1

Wow, something great happens and folks are all up in arms. Epcot is not going to see the last of its days just because SE is down for rehab. Just breathe, it'll be ok. I promise :)

Anyways, for the first time in a long time, I am really excited about a rehab. And when I say excited, I actually mean running around screaming outside with one hand patting my head and the other rubbing my tummy. Did I mention I forgot the pants? This sounds great! A new score, a new finale of course, I'm interested to see what will happen to the other show scenes during the ascent since they're saying new stuff will be added.

But the biggest thing that caught my attention, interactive screens in the ride vehicles. Maybe they'll put in the padding that alot of folks have wanted on the headrests. I can not wait for this to be completed, its going to be great. Looks like there is even more of a great big beautiful tomorrow for Epcot...

PigletIsMyCat

Padded headrests might not be such a good idea, not terribly hygenic... but a little butt-padding might be nice!

I like the suggestion of Morgan Freeman as the new narrator.

And, Horizons1, keep your pants on. :D

bayoutinkbelle

Anyways, for the first time in a long time, I am really excited about a rehab. And when I say excited, I actually mean running around screaming outside with one hand patting my head and the other rubbing my tummy. Did I mention I forgot the pants?

I'm excited too, but not enough to disrobe - at least here at work. They might stare or call HR. It's a toss-up. :lol:

haveyoumetmark

Ignoring the bickering, for this is probably some of the most exciting news in a good while. Toy Story Mania and MILF are so miniscule in comparison to this IMO, I don't even care about them. Hell, let them leave the wand forever, as long as they don't mess this up. Oh. My. God. I love you, WDI & SSE.

:sohappy:

majortom1981

conclusion

When they mean a new interactive conclusion do they mean the section at the top of the sphere with the stars , or do they mean the section that you go through when you come down from the top going backwards?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom